Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

i can perhaps appreciate the desire to carry a pistol while riding but i am really trying to stretch the imagination on why having a pocket that fits a 5.56 mag would be a notable feature

I don't use them for riding, however it could be useful.

https://silodrome.com/harley-davidson-mt500-military-motorcycle/

Also I know the British army is trialing some electric bikes, we have quads right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I could do without the rifle case but god drat I love that look.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what look, 80's dirtbike but made entirely of olive drab plastic and pot metal?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I don't use them for riding, however it could be useful.

https://silodrome.com/harley-davidson-mt500-military-motorcycle/

Also I know the British army is trialing some electric bikes, we have quads right now.

The trash cans/ashtrays are a convenient feature.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I could do without the rifle case but god drat I love that look.

Let me tell you about the world of military cosplaying KLR owners.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bike gear megathread: God is truly great

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Are backpacks a big thing where dropping more money gets you something outside of more pockets and better material? Honestly asking, I've used the same ~$20 one from Costco for years now and never really considered getting one specifically for a motorcycle as they seem overpriced.

quote:

https://www.goruck.com/

pool ruck, the next you’re stuffing it with jackets and snacks for a day hike. It also makes a solid ruck to loan a friend who is new to rucking

We build the best, toughest rucking gear to equip the rucking revolution
I'm going to have an aneurysm if this site keeps using "ruck". Is this a thing or did they make it up?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's a thing, but I hadn't heard anyone say it outside of ex-US military dudes, e.g. "in basic we had to do a 12 mile ruck with a 100lb. pack". Notice that the website in question is very obviously marketing their gear to military, ex-military, and wannabes

e: VV no, they didn't VV
edit 2: most sane people do

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 5, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E:^^^^ jfc I hate your country sometimes

Let me think did a place called go ruck make up the use of ruck as a verb

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Are backpacks a big thing where dropping more money gets you something outside of more pockets and better material?

no but there are probably a lot of victims of marketing who are about to try and convince you otherwise

edit: oh my god i just looked at the price of those bags holy poo poo ahahahahahaha

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a Kriega R25 and an Osprey Escapist 25.

I like the Osprey more for both cycling and motorcycling. It’s just comfier and feels more secure.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

There may be better options out there for a bike but I've had an Osprey Ozone 46 for six years now and I can't recommend it enough. It has just the right amount of pockets and compartments, has gone through a ton of travel in that time, spent many miles carrying all liquids and probably too much weight on a bike, and still looks almost new. I had a North Face a few years ago that I'd also use for bringing beer home on a bike, but the plastic buckle broke on it due to the weight (thankfully in my driveway and not the middle of a turn) so it doesn't seem nearly as sturdy. The North Face was purchased on a street corner in Vietnam rather than from REI, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same backpack (they're made in Vietnam).

It's discontinued now but I imagine there is a very similar replacement.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

E:^^^^ jfc I hate your country sometimes

You gotta up to hating it all the time like the rest of us.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Isn't riding with a backpack kinda dangerous? I mean if you have a laptop, camera, or other hard/angular thing in it and fall on your back - wouldn't it be risky, possibly breaking something by concentrating the force of impact in a smaller point than just hitting the road?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TorakFade posted:

Isn't riding with a backpack kinda dangerous? I mean if you have a laptop, camera, or other hard/angular thing in it and fall on your back - wouldn't it be risky, possibly breaking something by concentrating the force of impact in a smaller point than just hitting the road?

It depends. But yeah, you wouldn't want to carry knives horizontally. Carrying a laptop or similiar items is actually an advantage. A backpack acts as a sort of backprotector really, as long as the load is evenly distributed it should at the very least not have any negative impact.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TorakFade posted:

Having ridden with both reinforced and unreinforced backpacks, I wouldn't ride with one now unless it had a back plate (the kind you see on hiking packs that keeps the bag stood off from your body). The kind that are basically just a cloth sack are too uncomfortable even when you're not falling on them.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I need a more motorcycle-focused backpack and I don't want to spend $200+ on one. I'd like it to be somewhat water resistant, if not proof, a decent storage size with chest/waist straps. Thus far I've found this which looks ok, but I am open to any suggestions folks have. I'm ok spending up to 100-150, I'd just rather not if I don't HAVE to.

e: I was checking out Ospreys already, they are a lil spendy and not quite what I'm looking for I guess?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Try the Osprey escapist 25.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Russian Bear posted:

You gotta up to hating it all the time like the rest of us.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Chuck yourself before you ruck yourself

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just FYI, the number is capacity in liters, if it wasn't obvious already. Osprey makes same or similar bag in variety of sizes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

Chuck yourself before you ruck yourself

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Yea I was looking at the 25 liters one, I've currently got some 15 (or maybe 20) liter Adidas backpack from costco that is NOT waterproof nor designed for biking and it just kills my back after more than 20 minutes. I'll probably just go with this one, thanks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Having ridden with both reinforced and unreinforced backpacks, I wouldn't ride with one now unless it had a back plate (the kind you see on hiking packs that keeps the bag stood off from your body). The kind that are basically just a cloth sack are too uncomfortable even when you're not falling on them.

Conversely a frame backpack is going to *really* gently caress your shoulders up in a crash because of the increased stiffness and leverage - almost 20 years on and I still have occasional twinges from my left shoulder blade from a fairly low-speed crash where the semi-rigid pack (fnarr) I was using tried to pull my left clavicle into my right ear.

The Kriega-style sternum strap is apparently much, much better for this but really you just shouldn't wear anything on your shoulders on a bike (but of course I still do because onboard luggage would ruin the prettiness of my bike)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How do you guys clean the stretcy fabric bits of a leather jacket? The leather itself is clean, but starting at the underarm and running down the inner arm is "HRSF (Hyper Resistant Stretch Fiber)" -- I had a couple hot days, including a 100+ one, and it's a little stinky. I want to sell the jacket and if I want more than $50 I'll need to get rid of the smell. :o: This RevZilla article just recommends some Febreze. I've actually never used Febreze. I assume it must work, but does it leave an odor of its own? Also just going forward. I always buy scent free detergents, soaps, etc.

The cleaning care tag on the jacket is basically "don't even bother! take it to a professional!!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You can get scent-free Febreze https://www.febreze.com/en-us/products/fabric-refresher-scent-free
Works a treat IMO

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Osprey backpacks are ok for trekking (if a bit lame) but really aren't waterproof, you want something with a roll top closure and waterproof fabric if you're carry anything in the rain. I posted the Givi one but these will also work.

https://www.ortlieb.com/de_de/light-pack-two+R6031

https://alpkit.com/products/gourdon-30-waterproof-rucksack

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If you want waterproof and zippers instead of rolltop enduristan got 2 different sized backpacks.

https://enduristan.eu/collections/rucksacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXA1yeeYiFM

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The escapist 25 comes with a waterproof cover and the whole bag plus cover is way lighter than moto specific backpacks that are waterproof.

That and it’s chest and waist straps makes it easy to wear and it’s buckles aren’t as huge and stupid as kriega ones so they don’t get in the way at all.

Ok I’ll stop shilling for Osprey now. I just really like it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

The escapist 25 comes with a waterproof cover and the whole bag plus cover is way lighter than moto specific backpacks that are waterproof.

That and it’s chest and waist straps makes it easy to wear and it’s buckles aren’t as huge and stupid as kriega ones so they don’t get in the way at all.

Ok I’ll stop shilling for Osprey now. I just really like it.
I'm going to pick up this torch and mention that osprey padded straps are the most comfortable I've ever used. And I did 1100 miles in 2 days on the motorcycle wearing it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

All this in depth posting about backpacks when a top box is roomier, waterproof, and does not increase riding fatigue. And you can chuck a regular cheap backpack in it, too, so you have something to carry your stuff in. And you can leave your helmet locked inside it when you leave the bike.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

yeah, but back packs can look cool and top boxes are for neeeerds

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoah MODS??

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

pun pundit posted:

All this in depth posting about backpacks when a top box is roomier, waterproof, and does not increase riding fatigue. And you can chuck a regular cheap backpack in it, too, so you have something to carry your stuff in. And you can leave your helmet locked inside it when you leave the bike.

suggest me a good top box then, I've been telling myself I wanted a box or pannier hardcases since I sold my truck. y'all are totally right about the backpack regarding safety and comfort and I do not give a single poo poo about how my bike will look with a box on it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I not want to take my big Kreiga I just cargo net a backpack to the pillion. I hate wearing backpacks when riding.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

But Not Tonight posted:

suggest me a good top box then, I've been telling myself I wanted a box or pannier hardcases since I sold my truck. y'all are totally right about the backpack regarding safety and comfort and I do not give a single poo poo about how my bike will look with a box on it

I personally love Givi top boxes, there's plenty of shapes, sizes and features to go around and they have specific mounting hardware for 99% of bikes - I had a Givi Trekker 52L which was huge (2 full face modular helmets, one M and one L + some extra random stuff, easily), sturdy and looked good on my V-strom but I'm pretty sure you can find something that will look good on your bike and the size you need. Fair warning - the "best" models can get pretty expensive, but even the cheaper ones are usually better compared to similarly priced alternatives.

Also, they have a budget brand, Kappa , which makes the same stuff but a little less polished / with less fancy accessories (e.g. this one is the exact same as the trekker 52 but with a slightly different design and only a "bad" rubber backrest rather than the fancy cushioned one I had on the Trekker, and it can cost about 50-100€ less)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Other brands with good quality and varying distribution, pricing and model range is https://www.shadusa.com/ and https://www.hepco-becker.de/en/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

But Not Tonight posted:

Givi/Kappa are generally solid and have lots of specific mounting hardware for various bikes. The main downside is their latch system can be quite fiddly, being a toggle latch with a key through it. You get used to it.

Shad have a less annoying keyless entry system, though they're quite pricey.

If you're not going to be hauling anything heavy though (ie staying under 3-5kg) I'd honestly recommend a brand X job like this. I actually have this exact one fitted to a 125 at the moment, and while it's noticeably flimsier than boxes from the above brands and it's easy to accidentally lock the keys inside, it does the job of keeping stuff dry and contained for a fraction of the cost. The base plate is essentially identical to givi's universal kit, a slice of milk crate that bolts down a metal grill rack that you'll need to find separately if your bike doesn't have one built in.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Carteret posted:

yeah, but back packs can look cool and top boxes are for neeeerds

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I'm going to pick up this torch and mention that osprey padded straps are the most comfortable I've ever used. And I did 1100 miles in 2 days on the motorcycle wearing it.

Exactly this. The Kriega R25 gets annoying quickly, but the Osprey is just fine and dandy for hours.

I had to get the Osprey's bicycle helmet bungee repaired but that's because I yanked it too hard and it's not an issue really. Osprey fixed it for me for free, no muss no fuss. They also fixed some abrasion related wear-and-tear near the arse of the bag, also for free.