Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Oracle park sounds like some cool Ancient Greece themed 6 flags but no it’s a lovely stadium named after a tech company whose ceo is full of mood swings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rated PG-34 posted:

all the airports and airlines hate exhaust valves for some reason

:shucks:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Amazing.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
they're gonna need a lot more zeroes for that graph

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hawaiian_robot posted:

this is a very lovely picture! you both look cool and chill

so i'm getting my second shot of pfizer tomorrow (australia, NSW, not sydney though). been kinda freaking out about covid in general, not leaving the house aside from a daily walk, people just aren't wearing masks or anything, nobody in public seems to give a poo poo, though my friends are on board with staying home and masking up at least.

my dad (nearly 70, constantly on the verge of diabetes and rail thin) called me and asked my opinion on the vaccines, and what i'd read about ivermectin

I'd advise getting a respirator if you don't already have one before things get any worse

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
covid's over

https://i.imgur.com/3z9prJT.mp4

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

what makes that graph even worse is that it’s largely just one state :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I went to the mall today.

Wore a KN95 when leaving the apartment and during the car drive, then switched to a respirator before leaving the car. I know just wearing the respirator the whole time gives you fewer chances for a gently caress-up, but it messes with my peripheral vision enough that I don't trust myself driving when wearing it unless I really need to.

I bought two pairs of pants to replace one pair that ripped-through last week.

While walking between the department store and the supermarket, I spotted a book - "Wealth and Democracy: The Politics of Rich and Poor" on a second-hand bookstore shelf. Seemed interesting to I bought it for cheap.

Then I bought groceries for the week ahead. Things are getting more expensive, but between our changing taste and intermittent fasting, we're actually eating less, so this week's bill was markedly less than our average haul.

My wife bought a KFC Double-Down sandwich, and I bought some Krispy Kreme donuts, and lemonade for the both of us. We brought it out to the parking lot, and then ate in the car.

I changed back into the KN95 before driving out, drove home, showered, changed, put the groceries away, and took a nap.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

gradenko_2000 posted:

You shouldn't allow indoor dining-in for anyone - because if you sit down to eat, you're taking off your mask, and if you're taking off your mask, you're vulnerable to infection.

Being vaccinated doesn't guarantee against being infected, and doesn't guarantee against transmitting the virus for someone already infected.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hervey Bay (/ˈhɑːrvi/)[4] is a small city on the coast of the Fraser Coast Region of Queensland, Australia.[5] The city is situated approximately 290 kilometres (180 mi) or 3½ hours' highway drive north of the state capital, Brisbane. In 2018 it had a population of 54,674.

Edit: ah poo poo you did it by covid deaths though didn't you, not cases. There seems to be a large gap between Birdsville, population 340, and Augusta, 1382.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 5, 2021

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

russian bureaucrat looking at a graph for nation-wide deaths, obviously pegged at the highest value:

755 deaths per day? not great, not terrible

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I went to the mall today.

Wore a KN95 when leaving the apartment and during the car drive, then switched to a respirator before leaving the car. I know just wearing the respirator the whole time gives you fewer chances for a gently caress-up, but it messes with my peripheral vision enough that I don't trust myself driving when wearing it unless I really need to.

I bought two pairs of pants to replace one pair that ripped-through last week.

While walking between the department store and the supermarket, I spotted a book - "Wealth and Democracy: The Politics of Rich and Poor" on a second-hand bookstore shelf. Seemed interesting to I bought it for cheap.

Then I bought groceries for the week ahead. Things are getting more expensive, but between our changing taste and intermittent fasting, we're actually eating less, so this week's bill was markedly less than our average haul.

My wife bought a KFC Double-Down sandwich, and I bought some Krispy Kreme donuts, and lemonade for the both of us. We brought it out to the parking lot, and then ate in the car.

I changed back into the KN95 before driving out, drove home, showered, changed, put the groceries away, and took a nap.

How does it mess with your peripheral vision? The head straps?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mod sassinator posted:

did the whole drat eviction moratorium get forgotten too? what in the gently caress is the white house doing... are they working with Pelosi and congress to get anything done? loving anything!?

If evictions can't happen and people need extra unemployment, then that means proclaiming victory in nay didn't make sense. But since victory in May can't be undone and mist be defended, it actually means expanded unemployment and eviction protections didn't make sense and should be gotten rid of

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Paradoxish posted:

Nah, because nobody really cares about death as it turns out. Wild fires, floods, hurricanes, and general climate-induced weather poo poo will be a much bigger deal because they aren't ignorable and they're going to directly affect people's lives beyond just killing their neighbors or parents.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i remember in july 2020 when we were talking about how covid would have to individually hit people and their families for people to start taking it seriously

and how instead it's going to be retroactive justification and doubling down so people don't have to deal with the thought that they're directly or indirectly responsible for killing their families

this except it'll be jewish weather machines at fault

remember when said NOAA was the last remaining bastion of sanity, guess what happens when there's a climate change denialist put in charge in 2024 and tasked with making sure everyone stays calm and embiggens number

remember how the floods hit NYC and everyone was caught flat footed because nobody paid attention to the NOAA yelling ahead of time anyways

the future is going to be worse and more incredibly stupid than you think

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Hervey Bay (/ˈhɑːrvi/)[4] is a small city on the coast of the Fraser Coast Region of Queensland, Australia.[5] The city is situated approximately 290 kilometres (180 mi) or 3½ hours' highway drive north of the state capital, Brisbane. In 2018 it had a population of 54,674.

nice

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
was it coincidence that unemployment ends on labor day?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Asproigerosis posted:

was it coincidence that unemployment ends on labor day?

That's just to rub it in

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Uncle Khasim posted:

what makes that graph even worse is that it’s largely just one state :smith:

definitely will hit 2k next week. maybe even tomorrow!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nothus posted:

That's just to rub it in

no way how could capitalism do such a thing?!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I forgot you did covid deaths instead of cases. Hard to find anything around 1,000 population. But I'm sure we'll get to 54k deaths quickly now.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Australia about to get itself a tan.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Tzen posted:

don't know what your options are but I suggest looking into a nanny
when my oldest was 6mo we were stuck in daycare waiting lists and instead found a family friend who happened to have nanny experience. cost half of what daycare would have been and getting quality care from a family friend for 9 months or so was a bonus
from a covid perspective, if you trust the person I'd rather do that than put'em in daycare

lol anyways my toddler starts daycare next week
i'm just glad we finally got them to properly wear their toddler sized kf94 mask properly and without fuss
:theroni:

it would be so amazing to find a nanny for like 4-6 hours per day who was fully vaccinated and not also constantly going out to restaurants and large events.

with absolutely zero support or willingness to quarantine for two weeks from either of our large families, plus general isolation from not even going into a grocery store for the last 1.5 years, it's really just wreaking havoc on my wife's mental health.

we had one nearby family quarantining as hard as us, so mothers + same-age toddlers would go to public parks or walking together, but they're starting to take more and more risks so that relationship has changed as well

i've been back at work since 6/1 and the only person there wearing a mask so that's been its own brainfucked deluge of stress & anxiety

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
wait a minute what's covid??

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It feels like we are at a weird stage of the pandemic, and I've been thinking a lot about when the other shoe drops. Things like climate change can be ignored because it moves at a glacial pace, relative to COVID which went from Independence and Freedom Day to flooded ICU's and winter deaths in a month. It won't ease up either, public health is being degraded in each iteration and so is the hcw capacity to deal with it, while the powers that be have focused all their energy on accelerating spread, mutations and the spread of mutations.

For all the "we have to learn to live with the virus" and "it's endemic", in the very best case scenario, we can't be more than a couple of months out from this being patently absurd to even the densest of people. "No one could have known" only goes so far, so what is the next step here for the people in charge? Anyone care to guess?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Rubby posted:

HELLO FRIENDS

Since my unemployment runs out tomorrow and nobody at any level of government has talked about extending it COVID MUST WELL AND TRULY BE OVER!!

If you want to celebrate labor day with a capitalism - buy shirt here: :siren::siren::siren:https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/open-biden/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black:siren::siren::siren:

It is also available as a Greeting card! or a ....zip pouch ...I don't know why, that's super loving weird BUT IT MAKES AN INCREDIBLE GIFT FOR THE BRUNCH LIB IN YOUR LIFE to acknowledge and celebrate that COVID IS OVER

I am INCREDIBLY EXCITED to GET BACK OUT THERE secure in the knowledge that there is not a much more transmissible variant floating about and that our miracle vaccines will SAVE THE DAY no this is NOT me having a mental break PRAISE BE TO OPEN BIDEN

countdown to falcon theft lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

How does it mess with your peripheral vision? The head straps?

okay, I tried it again just now, and I guess it doesn't - or at least not in a way that would matter while driving, and I'm just being antsy

I should probably learn to get over it. I will try.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Delta-Wye posted:

pfizer is going to make a nose spray for rich people and then

COVID is OVER

do i do a bump before? after?

…simultaneously?!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m confused wasn’t she pro mask?

“Gandhi studied the benefits of wearing face masks to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, and was the first researcher to show evidence that face coverings protected both the mask wearer and others.[15][16] Her research suggested that most masks reduce viral load by filtering 80 percent of particles, and countries with mask mandates had dramatically decreased death rates.”

Initially yes. She used that to get a platform with the Blue Maga types. But she’s heavily pushed the Open Biden strategy, talked a load of poo poo about how delta wouldn’t be a threat months ago, and done everything she can to downplay any risk of opening schools. She puts out tons of content that basically amounts to “all we need are vaccines.” She is a big part of why blue Maga supported opening the country.

Like almost everyone else in this clusterfuck, she’s just in it for the audience and the money. She’s found her audience and isn’t going to say anything to impact that.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Real Mean Queen posted:

This whole thing has asked us what we are each really made of. Are you good in an emergency? Can you turn off your desires long enough to make a decision that impacts others correctly? Are you a sentient enough dude to not blithely gently caress around and get your elderly neighbor killed because you got bored and the world got scary? Are you even put together well enough to realize that you’re taking a test? This is a very clear opportunity to decide what kind of person you want to have been when the chips were down. I don’t want to hang out with the people who didn’t even realize there was a moral decision to be made here, or worse, the ones who did realize it and decided it wasn’t important to make the right decision.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

T-Paine posted:

wait a minute what's covid??

Come down to Applebee's to get COVID*!

*a Cheap Opportunity for Virus-free Indoor Dining.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Death By The Blues posted:

Any explanation why hospital rates are dropping even though they are opening up/schools? Less hospitals reporting? Suppression?

competently implemented mitigation strategies combined with astute leadership

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd advise getting a respirator if you don't already have one before things get any worse

yeah i already had a double filter one from doing some spray painting , looks like P2/N95 filters are readily available

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sunny Side Up posted:

countdown to falcon theft lmao

was that guy really forums poster Martin Random?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

Edit: Just to substantiate, the people that would get tested for the vaccine passport are by definition unvaccinated, indulging in risky behavior and are the type to not get tested unless they have to. They have a much higher chance of testing positive than say my double vaccinated neighbor who works from home, but gets tested 2 times per week because the employer requires it.

Just to add to this, those negative test windows are often hilariously large, and assume that tests work.

On the first point, if you’re traveling to a different city to see a big show, what are you going to do? You’re going to get your tests on the way out of the airport, check in at the hotel, and hit the bar. You can definitely catch you some covid in the 72 hour maximum a lot of places demanding negative tests are asking for. I don’t know exactly how long it takes to get and start spreading delta, but I bet a committed person could pull it off.

On the second point, is there any good reason to trust the tests? How many people in this thread have told stories about a bunch of people living in a house and half of them popping hot and the other half not, even while the negatives are feeling sick? Maybe people aren’t doing them right, maybe they’re just kind of janky, but every new day brings some story about tests that sounds weird. I am not super well versed in this area of the pandemic lore, I’d love to be wrong and hope that I am, but the shift from getting your brain picked for free by a person who did a thousand of these today versus “you can get a kit at walgreens for forty bucks” makes me wonder if testing didn’t just quietly get worse.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Rick posted:

Definitely noticed a lot of covid notices on the ESPN ticker today included caveats about the infected people "claiming" to be vaccinated. I guess word from Disney Overlords is that you lied about getting vaccinated rather than it being a breakthrough case.

i had a “last straw” moment with a now former friend the other day. i asked him if he got his jab, and he said he got his first shot a month ago and was scheduled to get his next in a couple weeks. it was such a blatant and terrible lie lmao.

it was a friendly conversation and i didnt call him out but even if he is telling the truth im not associating with someone who took till loving august to get a vaccine.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pingui posted:

It feels like we are at a weird stage of the pandemic, and I've been thinking a lot about when the other shoe drops. Things like climate change can be ignored because it moves at a glacial pace, relative to COVID which went from Independence and Freedom Day to flooded ICU's and winter deaths in a month. It won't ease up either, public health is being degraded in each iteration and so is the hcw capacity to deal with it, while the powers that be have focused all their energy on accelerating spread, mutations and the spread of mutations.

For all the "we have to learn to live with the virus" and "it's endemic", in the very best case scenario, we can't be more than a couple of months out from this being patently absurd to even the densest of people. "No one could have known" only goes so far, so what is the next step here for the people in charge? Anyone care to guess?
This country is so big with such a varied climate across where people live that there's never going to be some eureka moment. At any given time hospitalizations will be bad one place and not bad elsewhere. Just rotating through naive or semi naive populations who say what, us? California isn't in danger! Right before they have 50k dead in a winter wave

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the μ normal

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pingui posted:

hit the gas pedal harder

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
One thing I haven't seen stats on lately : for delta, where all old people could have been vaxxed beforehand if they chose, have deaths by age category changed? Tons of stats about # of dead who were unvaccinated: almost all!!!!! But very fee stats on if there's an age shift or not. And there should be one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

neutral milf hotel posted:

was that guy really forums poster Martin Random?

Martin Random is a way better troll than that guy