Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
it is a shame masks got associated with weakness rather than dads getting together on the weekend to one up each other on their badass masks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Turned 41 today. I’m down 28 lbs since the pandemic started and I’ll probably never go back to bars and restaurants even if they open back up like before.

Happy birthday! That's good work. I'm down a little more than 20 pounds myself.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wooten posted:

I read lots of stuff, apparently I missed this one, thanks for being a dickhead about it.

"I didn't read or comprehend anything but will call people jerks because the nice man on tv said I should"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

inferis posted:

got really sad this morning because I’m getting married tomorrow and it only just hit me that I’m never going to be able to have an actual wedding, I’m doing the paperwork tomorrow and when I had talked to my partner he had said we could do a ceremony sometime in the future but it’s like, either there is no time it’s possible in the future or if it is it’s just oh yeah we got married five years ago but come to our wedding, and that just seems super lam

My wife and I got married 12 years ago and we had a very small reception, at my uncles McMansion.
Total cost: maybe around $5,000
Just pretend you like found a sack with $40,000 cause that’s what I do

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

nexous posted:

my wife’s doctor got mad at her for wearing a respirator to her appt and gave her a 10 minute angry lecture about how she was wrong and should take it off

she is very timid and didn’t handle it well but kept the respirator on at least

why was she mad

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

"I didn't read or comprehend anything but will call people jerks because the nice man on tv said I should"

Sorry for being a victim of propaganda. I'll stfu.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Der Meister posted:

why was she mad

because masks don’t work, covid is too small to be filtered out. etc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nexous posted:

it is a shame masks got associated with weakness rather than dads getting together on the weekend to one up each other on their badass masks

Yeah my very conservative uncle was all proud early on of his respirator and it's features and then got nagged into not wearing it. So now he doesn't wear a mask at all and said if it's not dangerous enough for real protection why take half measures that don't work

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Gio posted:

i had a “last straw” moment with a now former friend the other day. i asked him if he got his jab, and he said he got his first shot a month ago and was scheduled to get his next in a couple weeks. it was such a blatant and terrible lie lmao.

it was a friendly conversation and i didnt call him out but even if he is telling the truth im not associating with someone who took till loving august to get a vaccine.

I don't really argue with my anti vaccination friend anymore. Whenever he tries to bait me into some dumb culture war argument I've switched to just feigning ignorance and vaguely agreeing until he talks about baseball or something again.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

nexous posted:

Even more of a shame that the completely unhinged GOP has somehow convinced their most broke brained base that asking people to wear masks in a respiratory viral pandemic is somehow exactly the same as Nazi fascism.

Great loving country we got here.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

inferis posted:

got really sad this morning because I’m getting married tomorrow and it only just hit me that I’m never going to be able to have an actual wedding, I’m doing the paperwork tomorrow and when I had talked to my partner he had said we could do a ceremony sometime in the future but it’s like, either there is no time it’s possible in the future or if it is it’s just oh yeah we got married five years ago but come to our wedding, and that just seems super lame

if you have a lot of reasonable people in your life I'm sure they would understand, I had some relatives do a "renewal of vows" many years after their wedding because they never had one and it was pretty much just as well attended as their wedding would have been.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Turned 41 today. I’m down 28 lbs since the pandemic started and I’ll probably never go back to bars and restaurants even if they open back up like before.

I've lost almost exactly the same amount of weight and I can directly relate it to working from home and getting a job that didn't have such a heavy drinking culture. I went from beer at lunch and after work to maybe 2 beers a week and I feel so much better for it

I love bars and drinking but my life is definitely a lot healthier without it

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nocturtle posted:

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Sucks that "mild" breakthrough cases can still have loss of taste and smell.

If this keeps circulating there's going to be a sizeable fraction of the population with distorted sense of taste and smell at any given time. Wonder if there are any foods that still taste good in those circumstances, seems like an opportunity for specialized post-COVID snacks.

I’ve been trying to see what I could eat that may be somewhat pleasurable to eat and honestly there’s nothing. it makes me not want to eat. maybe I’ll finally lose some weight.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hospital Staff Shortage Update. There's still too many hospitals failing to respond to this to get an accurate picture.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1434179992943013890?s=20

ICU Occupancy

Nevada has fallen.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1434520696575733766?s=20

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

if you have a lot of reasonable people in your life I'm sure they would understand, I had some relatives do a "renewal of vows" many years after their wedding because they never had one and it was pretty much just as well attended as their wedding would have been.

yeah I think I just need to get used to that idea but I don’t think I realized before today that I’m really attached to the ritual of having the actual ceremony at the same time as the marriage

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I got rehooked on cigarettes from being home with my kids from March to November 2020. It was hella stressful trying to work while dealing with two feisty kids, so I took up smoking as a little break.

So I dropped like 15 pounds because I also stopped drinking for six months. I quit smoking two months ago and now I've gained that back plus another 15 or 20 on that. I'm committed to being a bloated chubster for another month or two until my metabolism readjusts from being poisoned multiple times a day.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Martin random was one of the greatest posters in forums history and I can’t imagine the falcon guy is him

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

Day 4. no headache. no body aches. no smell. no taste. no fever. no shortness of breath. slight congestion.

Glad you're recovering hope you get the food enjoyer senses back

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

nexous posted:

because masks don’t work, covid is too small to be filtered out. etc

masks don’t work

ok that’s where you just leave the appointment

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nexous posted:

Imagine a world where we're all wearing fish bowl space helmets with sweet holograms on the outside

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

NeonPunk posted:

Tell me how white you are without telling me you're white.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1434413533215739906?s=21

gee I wonder why america is a demon cracker nation that will never rid itself of covid

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1434413533215739906?s=21

gee I wonder why america is a demon cracker nation that will never rid itself of covid

Lol these people pose more of a threat to the country than ISIS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The football world at all levels has decided that everything is back to normal and they will force normal by wishing hard enough.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Wooten posted:

Sorry for being a victim of propaganda. I'll stfu.

Suck valve, loser

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Grem posted:

Last weekend I was freaking out about my daughter being in the hospital with covid. She's fully recovered now and I want to thank everyone in this thread who showed concern.

that’s great news - so glad to hear it! :unsmith:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Paradoxish posted:

So honest question, is there some technical definition of "endemic" that I'm not aware of?

Because if you have a disease that's endemic to the whole world and in a state of constant outbreaks how is that not actually just a pandemic

over a long enough time period R0 goes to either 0 or 1, if it goes to 1 it has become endemic

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I guess we’ll see how dark it’s going to get after this weekend of college football

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sonatinas posted:

I guess we’ll see how dark it’s going to get after this weekend of college football

They're expecting 500,000 at Cincinnati's Riverfest today

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Sucks that "mild" breakthrough cases can still have loss of taste and smell.

If this keeps circulating there's going to be a sizeable fraction of the population with distorted sense of taste and smell at any given time. Wonder if there are any foods that still taste good in those circumstances, seems like an opportunity for specialized post-COVID snacks.

bourbon street steak with the oreo shake [cough]

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

That’s the beauty of covid, it takes two weeks for the effects to become apparent and Americans can’t understand cause and effect more than a day or two out.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm glad that the Aztec religion was right in its worship of death to make the sun raise every day.

Americans need to worship the religion that encourages regular military invasions of other countries, AND it sacrifices peoples lives for the ruling class in a performative ceremony.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Iron Crowned posted:

might as well embrace this poo poo now. maybe once every idiot gets covid things will slow down.

sorry drs, nurses, teachers, kids, immunocomprised, you just have to die

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

happy birthday! :coronatoot:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ve seen full stadiums watching EPL but I don’t follow what’s going on in England. hope poo poo ain’t going south there too.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Piggy Smalls posted:

Day 4. no headache. no body aches. no smell. no taste. no fever. no shortness of breath. slight congestion.

glad things seem to be headed in the right direction! hang in there

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, My company is taking this whole "New work of work" approach very seriously.

Of the 113 hires we have in August and September (seriously)
65 are Remote
9 are Hybrid Remote
13 are Remote now - but not sure in future
15 are at one of our construction or operations sites
11 are Fully Office based

And we just pushed off our September 15th office reopening a month*but probably April

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I legit don't think the football crowds are that big a deal. Same with concerts. Just being outside and a crowd that trends young means concentrated viral load from uncirculating air isn't as big a deal, infections they get won't be as severe, etc. I'm sure spread will happen there but infections that send 30 year olds to the ICU? Probably not

It's still the bars that are the problem as well as open floor plan offices. I'll believe this til I die.

These big outdoor gatherings are just gonna spread it around but the real spread will be in dorm bathrooms and classrooms and basketball and hockey stadiums in the winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Anyone whose work doesn't require their physical presence should be constantly pestering their boss about work from home