Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Louise Cooper's Time Master series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

There was one I can't remember the title of right now where it's literally a party of villains (and a druid) questing d&d style to keep law from winning and locking down the world forever, it was so heavily d&d that there's literally a scene where the assassin makes the party hire him to turn on his class features.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NinjaDebugger posted:

There was one I can't remember the title of right now where it's literally a party of villains (and a druid) questing d&d style to keep law from winning and locking down the world forever, it was so heavily d&d that there's literally a scene where the assassin makes the party hire him to turn on his class features.

Eve Forward's Villains by Necessity?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeppers, good call.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Runcible Cat posted:

Read that way back when; it was pretty good.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Lol they kill the smurfs

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Boy on the Bridge by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/

The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

Cold Iron (Masters and Mages #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L5669Y/

Saint's Blood (Greatcoats #3) by Sebastien de Castell - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV2VS7R/

Mona Lisa Overdrive (Sprawl #3) by William Gibson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QJMUAY/

Fool Moon (Dresden Files #2) by Jim Butcher - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BPYD2O/
Included for completion. Some really dislike this book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have a request for recommendations around a plot point that I don't think I've really seen before. The forces of pure Chaos and darkness are ubiquitous big bads in sci-fi and fantasy, but I've got a weird craving for a villain that is the inverse: the searing zeal of an uncompromising force of Order. Not just a "tyrant is bad, we should overthrow them" story, but a "the cleansing crusade of an impossibly exacting dogma has set out to eradicate the impure and that means us".

I just really like the idea that, just as embracing Chaos leads to madness, going too far down the road in the opposite direction kindles a relentless obsession with and thirst for the light that's no less insane.

That's the Baru Cormorant series you're looking for, fits that bill perfectly.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have a request for recommendations around a plot point that I don't think I've really seen before. The forces of pure Chaos and darkness are ubiquitous big bads in sci-fi and fantasy, but I've got a weird craving for a villain that is the inverse: the searing zeal of an uncompromising force of Order. Not just a "tyrant is bad, we should overthrow them" story, but a "the cleansing crusade of an impossibly exacting dogma has set out to eradicate the impure and that means us".

I just really like the idea that, just as embracing Chaos leads to madness, going too far down the road in the opposite direction kindles a relentless obsession with and thirst for the light that's no less insane.

There's some elements of this in Peter Watt's Rifters trilogy but it gets pretty icky in places and will definitely not increase your will to live or anything like that.

I second recommendations for Baru Cormorant under any circumstances. (Including Special Circumstances. God, what a field day SC would have had with Baru Cormorant).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

branedotorg posted:

How far in did you get? I read them a years ago when he released them, I think I finished the third one?

I remember belt trading and a very low conflict trading loop. Cosy is a fair description.

Just finished book 2 and I think I've had enough. Too much lean in to the harem of women/male gaze stuff towards the end of this one. Really enjoyed Quarter Share at least, I might come back to the series at some point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Runcible Cat posted:

Louise Cooper's Time Master series?

Is that any good? I've read the Indigo Saga multiple times, but never those.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Just finished book 2 and I think I've had enough. Too much lean in to the harem of women/male gaze stuff towards the end of this one. Really enjoyed Quarter Share at least, I might come back to the series at some point.

yeah i think that's why i gave up, he turned out to be a real 'nerd who women find irresistible' and also is really good at sex IIRC

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

it is what it is but it's the reason for the breaking of the cataclysm in Dragonlance.

The lord soth one was about him being able to stop the cataclysm but not being willing to sacrifice himself, the legend of huma is sort of about it.

I haven't read any of those books in a long time though so can't comment on the quality

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Kesper North posted:

There's some elements of this in Peter Watt's Rifters trilogy but it gets pretty icky in places and will definitely not increase your will to live or anything like that.

The first Rifters novel (Starfish) is pretty great (and is available free on Watt’s site, along with some other gems), but I’d skip the sequels. Or at least any chapter where KJ shows up, some of their scenes are still etched in my mind like a Bloodborne rune.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

branedotorg posted:

yeah i think that's why i gave up, he turned out to be a real 'nerd who women find irresistible' and also is really good at sex IIRC

yup, about 3/4 through the second book the occasional mention of his attractive crewmates leads in to like 4 chapters straight of him realizing he's Hot and being lusted after by literally all of the female characters. then he finally gets laid and mentions multiple times how Good he is at sex. god drat it :manning: i just want to read about daily life on a space ship with some trading thrown in

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

yup, about 3/4 through the second book the occasional mention of his attractive crewmates leads in to like 4 chapters straight of him realizing he's Hot and being lusted after by literally all of the female characters. then he finally gets laid and mentions multiple times how Good he is at sex. god drat it :manning: i just want to read about daily life on a space ship with some trading thrown in

It's pretty odd but basically goes away in the books after the first trilogy and I found them to be really compelling.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

you might like Christian (Miles) Cameron's new book Artifact Space, it's about a huge ship that travels between a series of worlds trading alien technology on a fixed cycle, i guess loosely based on the galleon loops in the pacific.

big space opera, lots of trading and minutiae of day-to-day flight deck ops stuff

if you like his series masters and mages, this is extremely similar except the protagonist is female and it's in space, YMMV, i know that had a lukewarm reaction in here.

https://www.amazon.com/Artifact-Space-Miles-Cameron-ebook/dp/B08KSX3439

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thanks for the recommendations, all! Have a good list to to sample through.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
There's a deeply weird roleplaying game called Nobilis where you play minor deities, and there are many factions, Light, amd Dark among them. The Light wanted the survivial of Humanity as a whole but didn't care about individuals or morals, the Dark wanted to convince every sentient creature to commit suicide of their own free will.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Nobilis has interesting ideas but is completely impossible to actually play.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Moorcock's Eternal Champions series does this quite a lot. The Lords of Chaos are still bad guys, but the Lords of Law are just as bad, as they want everything to stagnate forever.

Semi-comedy answer: like 30% of modern Warhammer 40k stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have you read any Zelazny? A lot of his stuff involves a protagonist trying to thread the middle as the two extremes greedily consume everything they can. Lord of Light or ...Call Me Conrad would be good places to start.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's a new Greg Egan book.

It sounds cool and I'm looking forward to reading it, while occasionally looking at the diagrams on this page and nodding at the arcane sigils.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

Is that any good? I've read the Indigo Saga multiple times, but never those.

No idea, sorry, tried reading the first as a teen and got bored a few chapters in.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

inhibitor phase was a decent return to the revelation space universe but made me notice (in a bad way) how often reynolds pulls the amnesiac narrative trick

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

Try The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. The rest of the series doesn’t follow that theme but it’s a pretty good sum up of what’s happening in the first book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have you read any Zelazny? A lot of his stuff involves a protagonist trying to thread the middle as the two extremes greedily consume everything they can. Lord of Light or ...Call Me Conrad would be good places to start.

Or Creatures of Light and Darkness, or the Amber books especially the later ones.

This thread is going to trace back to zelazny eventually because that's where Gygax got the law/chaos alignment idea from.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This thread is going to trace back to zelazny eventually because that's where Gygax got the law/chaos alignment idea from.

Michael Moorcock as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_and_Chaos

Cugel the Clever posted:

After a bit of searching, maybe Louise Cooper's Time Master trilogy. I haven't read it but the plot set up sounds like what you want. Also suggested on the top of the page.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 7, 2021

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

branedotorg posted:

you might like Christian (Miles) Cameron's new book Artifact Space, it's about a huge ship that travels between a series of worlds trading alien technology on a fixed cycle, i guess loosely based on the galleon loops in the pacific.

One of my favourite books of the year. Absolutely steamed through it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

branedotorg posted:

big space opera, lots of trading and minutiae of day-to-day flight deck ops stuff

Jack Vance's last two novels (really the one story split up) Ports of Call and Lurulu are also based around trading loops in a galactic setting, supposedly based in part on his experiences working in the Merchant Marine.

It's very cozy when it's not being very cruel, which is typical for Vance.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 7, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (Siege #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHHQRM2/

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

pradmer posted:

I bought this kind of by accident and at first was kind of appalled that I bought something that appeared to be self-published but it's actually very good if not slightly disturbing and is set in that reddit SCP universe.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (Siege #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

Hey I've read both of these and enjoyed them both.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, TINAMD is actually really great. Well worth the buck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

packetmantis posted:

Nobilis has interesting ideas but is completely impossible to actually play.

Nobilis is easy to play and I do it all the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dy. posted:

I bought this kind of by accident and at first was kind of appalled that I bought something that appeared to be self-published but it's actually very good if not slightly disturbing and is set in that reddit SCP universe.
Yeah, they started as a few SCPs and attendant short fiction on the SCP site proper, but then got self-published and I honestly can't recommend it enough, very high quality compared to the self-publishing norm. Good (and creepy) stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dy. posted:

Starts off strong and gets asymptotically dumb toward the end.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, they started as a few SCPs and attendant short fiction on the SCP site proper, but then got self-published and I honestly can't recommend it enough, very high quality compared to the self-publishing norm. Good (and creepy) stuff.

I don't remember where I came across it, maybe this thread even, but their story Lena is one of the most dry, clinical, terrifying things I've ever read.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Kesper North posted:

Starts off strong and gets asymptotically dumb toward the end.

Yeah, I read this on thread recommendation and found it familiar, silly, and not very creepy at all. There are a couple fun ideas in there, but not a character in sight. Not really what I'm looking for in my reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Anyone read the Powdermage Trilogy? Had it recommended to me and I’ll need something new after Abercrombie’s next book comes out on the 14th.