Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Have you seen all those things that turned out to be cake?
Its a natural progression imo. Why does candy have to look exactly the same?

Granted this would only really work with lollipops and other more malleable candy, like taffy. Poor popcorn dude is stuck where he is.

Unless he can pull of things like buttered or caramel popcorn.

The problem is that she animated her ability not that she shaped the sugar part of her ability into a giant robot. This has a number of problems for the logic of the story, first it implies that the MC is the only candy user in the entire world that realized she can do this. Why hasn't the chocolate bar user, the vanilla ice cream user, or anyone else bothered sculpting their ability even on a smaller scale? Why not instead of creating a massive blizzard the Ice cream chick makes a small army of sweet soldiers to mob her opponent while freezing them on contact? Why hasn't chocolate bar chick realized she can control how hot the chocolate is and make a fondue? It doesn't makes sense since the MC has spent years pretending not to have powers as opposed to all these other characters that exist on the frontline of battle where these kinds of innovations would be far more crucial to survival. Again, ignoring the need for scale since MC is making a giant robot to fight the final boss of the series.

The other potential problem the next chapter might address is what kind of lollipop she's using. Her default is a hard sugar variant and never presented as malleable since it's defining trait is it's durability. Enough to withstand crashing into buildings and blocking other people's attacks. That shouldn't be able to flex and move with any real range without literally snapping. So hopefully she chose to make a marshmallow lollipop or actually soft and malleable substance because "lollipop" as a broad category does encompass putting anything on the end of a stick.

I know this is way too much thought to be putting into a story that's on it's death throes but I honestly felt everyone was being incredibly consistent up to this point and it was all pretty silly but fun. Just feels like the author is putting in a huge spectacle since the story is about to end. I miss the Macaroon guy, his ability was used in a pretty cool way I think still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Alright I am really getting into Neru, I think the art style hooked me and now I'm down for a bunch of different martial styles in a high school setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

Magu chan: Image a Magu Chan that isn't sweet. This wasn't that.

Neru: Weird, is this the only manga that keeps all the honorifics in? With translations?

Roboco: I like Chizuru's mind reading gag, but I find the whole day dreaming to be bothersome.

Undead Unluck: I was looking forward to what was going to happen. Instead we got a flashback. That's weird. Top's power seems oddly defined though. He clearly can stop when he wants to, so when can't he?

Elusive Samurai: VROOM VROOM! I fonly the had Scooters in Feudal Japan.

Sakamoto: I can't wait.

Top has to break a part of his body to stop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

The problem is that she animated her ability not that she shaped the sugar part of her ability into a giant robot. This has a number of problems for the logic of the story, first it implies that the MC is the only candy user in the entire world that realized she can do this. Why hasn't the chocolate bar user, the vanilla ice cream user, or anyone else bothered sculpting their ability even on a smaller scale? Why not instead of creating a massive blizzard the Ice cream chick makes a small army of sweet soldiers to mob her opponent while freezing them on contact? Why hasn't chocolate bar chick realized she can control how hot the chocolate is and make a fondue? It doesn't makes sense since the MC has spent years pretending not to have powers as opposed to all these other characters that exist on the frontline of battle where these kinds of innovations would be far more crucial to survival. Again, ignoring the need for scale since MC is making a giant robot to fight the final boss of the series.

The other potential problem the next chapter might address is what kind of lollipop she's using. Her default is a hard sugar variant and never presented as malleable since it's defining trait is it's durability. Enough to withstand crashing into buildings and blocking other people's attacks. That shouldn't be able to flex and move with any real range without literally snapping. So hopefully she chose to make a marshmallow lollipop or actually soft and malleable substance because "lollipop" as a broad category does encompass putting anything on the end of a stick.

I know this is way too much thought to be putting into a story that's on it's death throes but I honestly felt everyone was being incredibly consistent up to this point and it was all pretty silly but fun. Just feels like the author is putting in a huge spectacle since the story is about to end. I miss the Macaroon guy, his ability was used in a pretty cool way I think still works.

some of those things could have happened if the manga lasted longer than 20 chapters.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm really liking Red Hood and I'm a bit disheartened to see it so low. Is it probably gonna get cancelled soon, or have other series started low and raised in the ratings overtime?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not really doing any "oh no we're cancelled" story beats atm so it's probably safe for a while. but you look at Candy Flurry, tell c, Phantom Seer etc and that stuff can just come out of nowhere half a year in :shrug:

Candy Flurry might even survive this but god, reading it is like just constantly being thrown into that cancellation anxiety with new plot developments

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the central mystery has already been answered and the last boss came out for a final battle in his first appearance. cf's completely done.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Candy Flurry is dead. It's already been soft confirmed by the Manga+ site.
Each month they reserve some urls for new chapters. Candy Flurry only has 2 left.

Red Hood will be absolutely fine. This is the first ranking it got, based on chapter 2 which wasn't all that well received.
The next 2 weeks probably won't be much better. But it should pick up by then.
Also people need to stop putting so much stock into the magazine placement.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why must we suffer

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Candy Flurry seems to already played it's hand so I'm trying to think where it would even go if it does survive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shrug. The Author has good humor and fun art.

They'll likely get another shot at a series.

Like only I remember Oumagadoki Zoo, and then Horoshiki goes on to create MHA after that gets cancelled.

I'm really interested to see what the Phantom Seer and the Candy Flurry author come up with next.

Because both of those series show the Author is real good. They just need to find the right hook.

Which is hard, but I like their chances.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

some of those things could have happened if the manga lasted longer than 20 chapters.

Post / user name combo.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dexo posted:

Like only I remember Oumagadoki Zoo, and then Horoshiki goes on to create MHA after that gets cancelled.

I'm really interested to see what the Phantom Seer and the Candy Flurry author come up with next.

Because both of those series show the Author is real good. They just need to find the right hook.

how could you forget about sensei no bulge like this

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

Candy Flurry is dead. It's already been soft confirmed by the Manga+ site.
Each month they reserve some urls for new chapters. Candy Flurry only has 2 left.

Red Hood will be absolutely fine. This is the first ranking it got, based on chapter 2 which wasn't all that well received.
The next 2 weeks probably won't be much better. But it should pick up by then.
Also people need to stop putting so much stock into the magazine placement.

Second Ranking it got 6th place last time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Top has to break a part of his body to stop.

So what part did he break when he had to stop because undead was getting nailed by undecrease?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wanna say that Japanese reactions to the latest issue were really positive for both Neru and Red Hood. We'll just have to see.

Also we're halfway into what is essentially the probationary period of both new series. You'll know if we're looking at the axe if we see a clear stopping point coming at 15-16 chapters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Erg posted:

how could you forget about sensei no bulge like this

Yeah Barrage owns

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I know... :negative:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

Wanna say that Japanese reactions to the latest issue were really positive for both Neru and Red Hood. We'll just have to see.

Also we're halfway into what is essentially the probationary period of both new series. You'll know if we're looking at the axe if we see a clear stopping point coming at 15-16 chapters.

Or if it just spontaneously ends ala Guardian of the Witch, Phantom Seer, etc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Red hood just started, we're not even at the adventure part of the story yet, why are people worried it's getting cancelled exactly? I joined the thread late, I don't know when the conversation started.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

RareAcumen posted:

Red hood just started, we're not even at the adventure part of the story yet, why are people worried it's getting cancelled exactly? I joined the thread late, I don't know when the conversation started.

First chapter was fine enough but it kind of dragged its feet for the next 3 or 4 after that, and it's a little rote so far. It's definitely picked up a bit since leaving the MC's village though, at least imo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think Red Hood cancellation has been much of a worry, it just was a miserable weekly reading experience when they dragged the village arc until ch5 instead of concluding it in ch1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

So what part did he break when he had to stop because undead was getting nailed by undecrease?

Probably a finger. It also only activates if he is going a certain speed.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 6, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RareAcumen posted:

The real danger zone for a new series is 20-30 chapters.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dexo posted:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a case of a mangaka coming back to a failed series after hitting it big with their next work?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I feel like I recall a death game thriller getting remade in some sort like that maybe

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Those are usually when a manga is switching companies so they have to change it in some way.

I guess Shaman king was technically cancelled and rushed and then he got to go back and fill in the missing parts of the ending but I wouldn't call SK a failure

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Shiki (Edens Zero) is going to spaghettify Shura and a sizable chunk of the splash zone in pure rage, isn't he? :ohdear:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 8, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Shiki (Edens Zero) is going to spaghettify Shura and a sizable chunk of the splash zone in pure rage, isn't he? :ohdear:

That entire chapter was pretty messed up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

That entire chapter was pretty messed up.

Mashima's creepy rear end torture fetish back at it again

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, can't argue against that.
At least we're getting some good "Shiki is always about two seconds away from murdering someone" beats out of it but the surrounding circumstances?
Yeah :sigh:

Hiro's done what he's set out to do re his "I need to make my antagonists the worst" deal.
If Shura got punted into a black hole, as I suspect Shiki will emulate via gravity, I wouldn't be sad about it.
It's very much anyone near the two of them that I'm worried about right now.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 8, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Bad news from this week's jump, friends: Candy Flurry ended

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yep, rest in reese's pieces

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Guess that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1435824138317406209?s=21

It is with great sorrow that we say goodbye to our good friend Candy Flurry. It started a little weak, but talked its way into our hearts.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
:( I ended up liking Candy Flurry but its weak start and inability to hook people was its downfall. Hopefully the author can get a second shot with another series.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:( I ended up liking Candy Flurry but its weak start and inability to hook people was its downfall. Hopefully the author can get a second shot with another series.

Yeah I could easily see the author being successful with a different premise. As much as I love Candy Flurry, the premise almost feels like a parody of shonen series but doesn't lean into that very much. So it comes off as sincerely just a generic shonen premise rather than a parody / critique / etc, and I assume a lot of people wrote it off because of that. Which is a shame because the writing is so charming and the art is cute!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Things I will never forgive Shonen Jump for:

✔ Double Arts
✔ Mx0
✔ Candy Flurry (new entry!)

F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the candy stuff was completely forgettable, but i loved the character writing.