Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You being unwilling to engage in that risk is undermining the entire project of constructing a new meta-reality that everything is fine and COVID's over for good people.

i mean yeah i understand this desire but people are getting sick and dying still and you can blame anti-vaxxers all you want but your children still don't have shots in them

idk everyone's priorities are just wildly backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
excuse me while we just keep on getting reinfected indefinitely

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1435203796980965377?s=20

Will Americans accept the deaths of tens of thousands of people, as they do with the flu, if it means life returning to normal? Can the public tolerate an even higher death toll — akin to the drug overdose crisis, which killed an estimated 94,000 people in 2020 — if that’s what it takes to truly end social distancing and other precautions?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Schnorkles posted:

i mean yeah i understand this desire but people are getting sick and dying still and you can blame anti-vaxxers all you want but your children still don't have shots in them

A large proportion of Americans, maybe even a majority, are so immersed in manufactured realities and propaganda that the real world has no meaning to them anymore.

There is no objective reality to more than half this country. If we all believe it, we make it real; 160 million people pooling their gestalt psychic powers into The Secret.

There's a wonderfully interesting sociology paper to be written here, if only someone had the time and detachment.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I think I have arthritis in both my feet and ankles and some other old injuries are causing me trouble. I need to go to a doctor. RIP me I guess I’ll just live in pain for the next few months while the numbers climb or fall or they stop counting or whatever.

If you are vaccinated please just go to the doctor if you need to. You will almost certainly be completely fine. Medical places where I am are requiring masks for everyone so you will probably actually be super double fine. Please don't gently caress up your life because you can't filter out the sad brains doom posting stuff.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

"this is a risk level i do not feel comfortable exposing my unvacinnated child to"

"stop being so hysterical"

?

????

the age old argument of 'we may have a problem' vs 'shut the gently caress up idiot'

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think I'm on the verge of giving up and just going Open Biden.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Serf posted:

i've seen enough 90% shots whiff in x-com to not trust rolling the dice

hell yeah

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just got my third shot. Last week I was turned away by a grocery store pharmacy, but today I walked into a CVS and they didn't gatekeep the juice at all, they only asked if my doctor recommended it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Man, we'd be so lucky if COVID only killed 94,000.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

net work error posted:

It owns that having BPD and not liking people in general has made this entire pandemic thing largely easy to deal with, outside of the crippling fear of my loved ones dying.

My own death doesn't really scare me and I can happily live alone with no human contact for months on end. I'm reading more, I don't feel compelled to waste my time on people and relationships I don't care about.

highly recommend outside of all the other parts of having a severe mental illness.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

tuyop posted:

I think I have arthritis in both my feet and ankles and some other old injuries are causing me trouble. I need to go to a doctor. RIP me I guess I’ll just live in pain for the next few months while the numbers climb or fall or they stop counting or whatever.

go to the doctor. put on a good mask N95 or half mask P100 and go. an overwhelming majority of offices are requiring masks so it should be a decently safe environment. it's not worth putting off important medical needs

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/idahoans/status/1435251485952991234

lol literal brain worms

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Zurtilik posted:

Person in the cubicle next to me can't stop coughing every few minutes.

:rip:

:rip:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

what gets me here is that i'm happy to engage in scientific terms or w/e with people about relative risk levels in an academic sense. I think we should have a solid, actual basis for knowing how contagious delta is in particular settings. the thing that makes zero sense to me is this continuing media narrative that you cannot have a lower risk tolerance than society at large for whatever reason. i understand the capital implications and that our system of commerce is hanging by a thread, but if number thinks the numbers are bad now wait until the hospital system detonates.

I imagine it's partially because the nature of COVID makes it almost impossible for an individual to have a lower risk threshold than society in general but still interact with a society that has surrendered. For most things you can adjust your own risk exposure pretty simply - you can drive slower, you can wear sunscreen, you can not participate in high risk athletic activities, etc. That doesn't work with COVID. Your risk is determined by the community much more than your own actions.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

I imagine it's partially because the nature of COVID makes it almost impossible for an individual to have a lower risk threshold than society in general but still interact with a society that has surrendered. For most things you can adjust your own risk exposure pretty simply - you can drive slower, you can wear sunscreen, you can not participate in high risk athletic activities, etc. That doesn't work with COVID. Your risk is determined by the community much more than your own actions.

there are certain things that you don't have control over, agreed.

but i mean, not going to PAX or crowded brunch seems like a pretty easy way to lower your overall risk profile at little to no cost to yourself.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

if i suddenly stop posting its because big benny has had enough and has decided to silence me

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
in the near future all restaurants will be super salty or have no flavor due to the 10 cycle of COVID reinfections

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

Man, we'd be so lucky if COVID only killed 94,000*

*On average, per state

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
--------
-------

This is the real problem I'm running into with family. If I want to see them I'm essentially accepting every risk they've taken even if I am otherwise playing it fairly safe.

poo poo sucks!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i am tolerating the living poo poo out of this risk! i love it! feels good!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

Sounds like you've got an 8 month old anti-vaxxer in the house.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

There is probably about a million times higher chance of you getting into a car accident on the way to the doctor than there is for you to get Covid by visiting an office where everyone wears masks and you get put into a private examination room.

Sorry, I'm all for fatalism and I'm totally black-pilled but I just don't understand anyone who is still 100% locked in their homes.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It owns that having BPD and not liking people in general has made this entire pandemic thing largely easy to deal with, outside of the crippling fear of my loved ones dying.

My own death doesn't really scare me and I can happily live alone with no human contact for months on end. I'm reading more, I don't feel compelled to waste my time on people and relationships I don't care about.

highly recommend outside of all the other parts of having a severe mental illness.

yeah being a major introvert has made all of this social distancing incredibly easy. of course all the extroverts are the ones breaking quarantine anyway, so they're really shooting themselves in the foot by making this poo poo not go away to begin with

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So about Corsi Cubes; it turns out I have at my home an old Dyson air purifier. I wasn't sure if it was good for COVID but I believe it might be, and was wondering if anyone has the knowledge to confirm/deny this is at least as good as a Corsi Cube? If it is, I'll gift it to one of my friends I mentioned since, yeah, they need it more than I.
"360 ̊ filtration system combines activated carbon to remove odors and gases with HEPA to capture 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in size, including pollen, bacteria and pet dander."
It doesn't mention viruses like some of those MERV filters specifically do so yeah, I have no clue. I mean I recognize those numbers, and I know HEPA is good, but I have no idea if .3 microns is too big to capture COVID virions.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

T-Paine posted:

yeah being a major introvert has made all of this social distancing incredibly easy. of course all the extroverts are the ones breaking quarantine anyway, so they're really shooting themselves in the foot by making this poo poo not go away to begin with

What quarantine there is no quarantine

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

so I get so frustrated hearing that idiots think that Covid is a hoax or is a political thing when people all around the loving world are dying. I mean wtf. why does India or Mexico or Brazil deaths have to do with a conspiracy in the United States? are people this loving stupid? I guess so.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Didn't Lyin' Tony Fauci just say that mu was no big deal? lol lmao

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

btw that stuff about vaccines being 90% effective against hospitalization? it was based off of assumed high rates of sterilizing immunity that are obviously not long-lasting

according to at least one study if you get infected you're only marginally less likely to be hospitalized

quote:

The ratio of hospitalizations to cases was moderately lower among fully vaccinated (13.1 hospitalizations per 100 cases) compared with unvaccinated (19.0 hospitalizations per 100 cases) groups.

and i'm too lazy to find it but in that big british study they found that death rate among the vaccinated who were hospitalized was no different than the death rate pre-vaccine lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Schnorkles posted:

The coherent attempted read on the data right now is that you won't get sick with a vaccine and that you won't spread it to your kids, because its pretty clear that delta is causing people who aren't death cultists to take stock of things like restaurants. One expects we might be getting the spicy economic data towards end month that suggests another downturn.

why wait?

restaurant reservations through OpenTable

Labor Day weekend is the outlier, but reservations have been declining compared to 2019 since Open Biden. Not nearly enough, but I think at least some people are getting spooked

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

net work error posted:

How I stopped worrying about going to brunch

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nothus posted:

Mu is a big deal?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fireside Nut posted:

go to the doctor. put on a good mask N95 or half mask P100 and go. an overwhelming majority of offices are requiring masks so it should be a decently safe environment. it's not worth putting off important medical needs

I know people say this and it sounds very reasonable, but I’m pretty scared as well, you know?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

Nothus posted:

I think at this point the inverse of whatever fauci says is correct

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So about Corsi Cubes; it turns out I have at my home an old Dyson air purifier. I wasn't sure if it was good for COVID but I believe it might be, and was wondering if anyone has the knowledge to confirm/deny this is at least as good as a Corsi Cube? If it is, I'll gift it to one of my friends I mentioned since, yeah, they need it more than I.
"360 ̊ filtration system combines activated carbon to remove odors and gases with HEPA to capture 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in size, including pollen, bacteria and pet dander."
It doesn't mention viruses like some of those MERV filters specifically do so yeah, I have no clue. I mean I recognize those numbers, and I know HEPA is good, but I have no idea if .3 microns is too big to capture COVID virions.

N95 masks are rated against .3 micron particles so it should.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/07/no-10-not-ruling-out-firebreak-lockdown-if-covid-cases-rise posted:

No 10 not ruling out ‘firebreak’ lockdown if Covid cases rise
Government denies plan for October half-term lockdown but says option remains open if NHS overwhelmed

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

net work error posted:

What quarantine there is no quarantine

Well yeah.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

slippery doc posted:

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/willystaley/status/1435238699256750084?s=20

except

minor detail posted:

How small are the chances of the average vaccinated American contracting Covid? Probably about one in 5,000 per day, and even lower for people who take precautions or live in a highly vaccinated community.

Oh, only about 1 in 5000? Is that all? So in the fantasy universe where 100% of people are vaccinated, that's just a steady state 60,000 cases per day, forever. About 200,000 deaths per year, forever. A 9/11 every week, forever.

How the gently caress did a species that is so bad at risk assessment ever survive as long as we have?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

genericnick posted:

N95 masks are rated against .3 micron particles so it should.

Awesome, thanks, you've made one of my friends very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Zurtilik posted:

--------
-------

This is the real problem I'm running into with family. If I want to see them I'm essentially accepting every risk they've taken even if I am otherwise playing it fairly safe.

poo poo sucks!

OTOH COVID has been useful fodder for keeping my lied-about-getting-vaxxed MIL from visiting.

Gonna be a throw-down over the holidays I'm sure, but it's worked for the summer.