Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Floor is lava posted:

0 deaths reported in Indiana today

oh...

also why does this notice say 9/17 on it

dashbaord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Vyacheslav posted:

What's the appropriate amount of scorn to heap on a group of friends, one of whom is immunocompromised from MS, who are about to fly to Florida Disney for the food festival at epcot? I mean beyond the scorn for being adult Disney fans.

:sever:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Vyacheslav posted:

What's the appropriate amount of scorn to heap on a group of friends, one of whom is immunocompromised from MS, who are about to fly to Florida Disney for the food festival at epcot? I mean beyond the scorn for being adult Disney fans.

It's over. I just avoid contact with other human beings as much as possible and try to reserve the scorn. Nothing we say or do makes a difference, just protect those closest to you and let the suicidal/murderous go out to die.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
My kid looks like his brain got sandblasted when he gets in the car after school and it's only been three days. The sudden ramp up of activity is feeling as overwhelming as staying home felt stultifying. :smith: On top of that, covid. I don't know how to make it all better for him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

you can’t just say open biden and expect everything to magically open

watch me

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1435289243845283842

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a particular time when COVID stats for the day are dropped?

every state is different, and after weekends or vacations it gets backlogged and delayed a bit. in general though around 6pm pst BNO news usually has a full day of data to report

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Broke: America can't sustain a 9/11 per week in covid deaths, people won't stand for this
Woke: America can indefinitely sustain a 9/11 per week in covid deaths, the elite don't care
Bespoke: A 9/11 per week in covid deaths will devalue human life in general, making other genocidal American policies far easier to justify, the elite are absolutely in favor of this

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Shifty Pony posted:

I used the Quickview antigen test recently. it was pretty simple, and would be easy to do on a kid since the only part they have to participate in is a quick swab right inside the nose (which doesn't feel great but isn't awful), the rest is just waiting a little as you leave the swab in a vial then stick the test strip in the vial. it was $20 for a pair of tests. the tests showed negative which was confirmed with a PCR test.

that said antigen tests are basically worthless unless you have symptoms. it would let you discern whether your kid's stuffy nose is Covid or not which isn't nothing though.

Does anyone know, is there much of a difference between the BinaxNOW and the ID NOW rapid tests? I guess my question is really what is the best at-home rapid test?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Strep Vote posted:

My kid looks like his brain got sandblasted when he gets in the car after school and it's only been three days. The sudden ramp up of activity is feeling as overwhelming as staying home felt stultifying. :smith: On top of that, covid. I don't know how to make it all better for him.

I just had 4 days off and spent most of it at home. I tried to get out of the house a little bit but my body felt like lead. I ended up going home and taking a nap. idk if this is depression or what. My mom texted me to encourage going out and doing something instead of moping at home alone.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Strep Vote posted:

gentle parenting at home and far less structured time than you're probably used to giving them. time to be quiet and time to just be with you

it's definitely a hard transition if you've been remote until now

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

DFW was right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

DFW was right.

also Mao

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a particular time when COVID stats for the day are dropped?

lol no

every state reports at a different time and now different cadence, and every data aggregator processes those points differently. some try to backdate data, some cut off the day's reporting at different times, etc

that's why 1 feed said we had 9/11+ deaths last Thursday and 4 others said were just under

it's a complete poo poo show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

lol no

every state reports at a different time and now different cadence, and every data aggregator processes those points differently. some try to backdate data, some cut off the day's reporting at different times, etc

that's why 1 feed said we had 9/11+ deaths last Thursday and 4 others said were just under

it's a complete poo poo show

Feature, not a bug

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is the current death toll — of more than 1,500 a day, or equivalent to more than 500,000 deaths a year — too much? Many people would say, of course, it is. But in the middle of a delta variant surge, Americans may be revealing their preferences as restaurant reservations are now around the pre-pandemic normal — a sign the country is moving on. “The loudest voices on social media and in public are way more cautious than the average American,” Jha said.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

did that whole PCR threshold artificially bring down case numbers? bc I’m hearing a lot of people who pop positive are getting negative tests at first or their kids test negative etc.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

gently caress yeah

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is the current death toll — of more than 1,500 a day, or equivalent to more than 500,000 deaths a year — too much? Many people would say, of course, it is. But in the middle of a delta variant surge, Americans may be revealing their preferences as restaurant reservations are now around the pre-pandemic normal — a sign the country is moving on. “The loudest voices on social media and in public are way more cautious than the average American,” Jha said.

The loudest voices on Social Media and in public either think COVID isn't real or if they do think it's real that anyone who is vaccinated is completely immune and also that kids can't catch COVID.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

i don't think Parable of the Sower is good of-itself especially because Parable of the Talents ends with very liberal/scientologist weirdness. BUT the late 2020s world she painted when she wrote it in the 1990s is just remarkably on point. crystal clear window to the near future. would definitely stop after the first book, though, for sure.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

fosborb posted:

gentle parenting at home and far less structured time than you're probably used to giving them. time to be quiet and time to just be with you

it's definitely a hard transition if you've been remote until now

it's this, best to take the after-school time to have a calm evening so that way kids don't get way too overstimulated and inevitably lash out due to burning out. My kids and I stayed home all weekend, including yesterday, since hospitals here in Oregon are hosed and I'm super paranoid about traveling, and most of those days they played outside with the other neighborhood kids who also isolate at home, FULLY MASKED. When they weren't playing we chilled out home and watched tv or played board games, have a feeling that's how most after school afternoons will end up.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Atrocious Joe posted:

american cultural ennui is a signifier of "moving on"

we must use the royal we as unanimous consent, everyone else is jumping off the bridge, why aren't you? you're shouting about it instead

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

why is it fine to morally shame anti-vaxxers but no one wants to shame restaurant goers

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hopefully dying of covid very quickly, so as to limit his waste of hospital resources, to own the libs.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the genocidal cracker empire that is the US was founded on exploiting pandemics, and it will never give up on it

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
He has been there for 3 weeks, so he is taking his sweet time. It is amazing how all these old white boomers all look the same, all blend into one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

too bad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the gaslighting really is incredible

like 70% of Americans polled in every poll ever done support making vaccines mandatory and NPIs, but you watch the news or read the papers and every single viewpoint is someone from that 30%. Like the spectrum is "fake news virus, not real, fully open all things now and shoot anybody in a mask" to "it's obvious we should return to normal but it's unfortunate that how things are now would be that normal, somebody should think about that when opening up"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

why is it fine to morally shame anti-vaxxers but no one wants to shame restaurant goers

restaurant goers make number go up

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1435237072445530120?s=20

I love all these people misreading the New York Times article in exactly the way the editors intended.

1 in 5000 chance per day!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Broke: America can't sustain a 9/11 per week in covid deaths, people won't stand for this
Woke: America can indefinitely sustain a 9/11 per week in covid deaths, the elite don't care
Bespoke: A 9/11 per week in covid deaths will devalue human life in general, making other genocidal American policies far easier to justify, the elite are absolutely in favor of this

I've been thinking about this. How now the atrocities can really be unleashed because no one cares. I mean we're ok dooming millions of children already so really, there isn't anywhere it will stop for being beyond the pale.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I suspect the vagaries of day-to-day testing in schools is going to create a cyclical pattern at the individual district level as well, so excited for that light psychological rasping every day

lol gently caress

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1435158584858488833

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

i don't think Parable of the Sower is good of-itself especially because Parable of the Talents ends with very liberal/scientologist weirdness. BUT the late 2020s world she painted when she wrote it in the 1990s is just remarkably on point. crystal clear window to the near future. would definitely stop after the first book, though, for sure.

another good rationally constructed world of the near future to experience in book form is Blindsight

It's a bit techno-futurist but Watts has said that people call him a bleak nihilist for how he portrayed things but that the fact is our chance to avoid it came and went in the 70's so there's no sense in pretending otherwise

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

:stare:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
don't worry joe biden is going to give a speech this week and it will fix EVERYTHING

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/07/politics/president-joe-biden-speech-pandemic/index.html

quote:

(CNN)President Joe Biden is set to deliver a major address on the next phase of his pandemic response this week, two sources familiar with the speech tell CNN.

While officials were still finalizing specifics early this week, the speech will have multiple components related to schools, private companies and requirements for federal employees. It's the most they have done to date, one person said. The speech was initially slated for Wednesday, but a White House official told CNN later Tuesday morning that the timing is still fluid and would instead come on Thursday.

lmao this is all they got. a 'speech' instead of actual direct action, executive orders, bills in congress, etc. and they're scrambling at the last minute to even get this wet fart out in time.

this is just to get some soundbites from old joe that CNN can play nonstop so the boomers are placated and think everything is fine and the good man is doing good things and good times are here

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My work is full of "My kid is so excited for the first day of kindergarten. We're kinda uneasy, but excited for her." ... 5 days later "Our child came home with COVID."

Some are just stupid, some are depressing, overall it's just tragic.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

so are we really in a position right now where evictions are happening at full clip, all pandemic assistance has ended, and the biden admins have said "we promise we have a plan to fix the pandemic but we need a week to get back to you on it"

is congress or anyone doing loving anything this week on the pandemic?

anything?

What pandemic? I don't know any pandemic. You're the pandemic.

*brunches*

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Atrocious Joe posted:

Restaurants are heroes bc they make chuds sick op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

poll plane variant posted:

Restaurants are heroes bc they make chuds sick op

your gimmick sucks and you should gently caress off