Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Holy poo poo that is definitely a shot of Neo from The Matrix 1 being projected onto something.

I am hyped. I love all 3 Matrix movies and have liked almost everything the Wachowskis have done since. Yes, even Jupiter Ascending, idgaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nothing against YAM3 why is he in this and not old Lawrence Fishburne when they can have old Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss in the movie?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Nothing against YAM3 why is he in this and not old Lawrence Fishburne when they can have old Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss in the movie?

he died in an MMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPey1fU9Ok

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

The story answer seems to be that this is taking place either before the first movie or a long time afterwards, to the point where Morpheus would certainly be dead(or much younger, hence the recasting). There are easy justifications for why Neo and Trinity could still be kept alive within The Matrix but that doesn't apply to Morpheus, who was just a regular guy.

I'm not saying any of that is really a satisfying answer, I think we all would've preferred if Fishburne was back.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 9, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

aBagorn posted:

patently false. all matrix franchise non-video game media is good.

Path of Neo is a fun video game that is good. It also gave no fucks about anything in the setting, changed the ending, and basically just went nuts on stuff you could do in the Matrix. The MMO wasn't terrible either.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Supposedly Jada Pinkett Smith is returning so who knows what the deal is with Morpheus. I have faith in the Wachowski and the Sense8 writing team that this will not be a simple retread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wild speculation time.

The Matrix doesn't work without Neo because of his connection to The Source or whatever, so the machines plug him back in and do everything they can to keep him from waking up again. The meds and the psychologist are their first attempt at control, and when Neo breaks free from that, they introduce Nu-Morpheus, a false-flag program created to lead Neo in circles and keep him from actually waking up this time.

e: It would have some DNA in common with Source Code in a good way—keeping a dead guy plugged in within a weird surreal purgatory.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 9, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Wachowskis showing up at the end of Path of Neo to explain why the end of Revolutions would be kinda poo poo for a video game so you're just gonna fight a giant Smith kaiju instead may be my favorite thing they've ever done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Wild speculation time.

The Matrix doesn't work without Neo because of his connection to The Source or whatever, so the machines plug him back in and do everything they can to keep him from waking up again. The meds and the psychologist are their first attempt at control, and when Neo breaks free from that, they introduce Nu-Morpheus, a false-flag program created to lead Neo in circles and keep him from actually waking up this time.

It would have some DNA in common with Source Code in a good way.

Remember, the whole Morpheus/Oracle/The One dynamic was designed by the machines specifically as a form of control over what they saw as inevitable human resistance to the Matrix. So yea, this new version of Morpheus being another similar play by the machines makes sense.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MJeff posted:

The Wachowskis showing up at the end of Path of Neo to explain why the end of Revolutions would be kinda poo poo for a video game so you're just gonna fight a giant Smith kaiju instead may be my favorite thing they've ever done.

The way they went all in on the corniness of it also rules (when you beat kaiju Smith We Are The Champions starts playing over shots of people celebrating in Zion).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Interesting seeing the scene in the elevator with everyone on their phones. The Matrix has always been an obvious and great metaphor for our society already, but the introduction of the smartphone plague since the initial run definitely provides a lot to draw from

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Cacator posted:

Supposedly Jada Pinkett Smith is returning so who knows what the deal is with Morpheus. I have faith in the Wachowski and the Sense8 writing team that this will not be a simple retread.

I can only hope there isn’t an orgy scene every ten minutes because it got just a bit too much by the end. And especially at the actual end

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

feedmyleg posted:

Wild speculation time.

e: It would have some DNA in common with Source Code in a good way—keeping a dead guy plugged in within a weird surreal purgatory.

I like that idea, basically the architect hosed up and what ever pattern neo is is a fundanemtal part of the substrate that keeps it all going, but if you leave a neo plugged in to long he forces the system into smith mode and everything blows the gently caress up. But if you unplug him it all stops including the substrate the machines live in. So they're kinda hosed and just have to tranq him out.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Not gonna lie, I felt like I was 14 again watching that trailer. 2 and 3 are absolutely not the sequels I ever wanted for The Matrix but this had me feeling the hype!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

The Dave posted:

About 5 seconds in I realized there was very little I needed to be super hyped for this.

I wish Keanu didn't have the beard to make this feel a little less like John Wick in the Matrix but it's nothing I'm super passionate about.

I'm pretty sure we'll get Keanu both with and without beard. Neo has to wake up from an incubator again.

Violator
May 15, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Holy poo poo that is definitely a shot of Neo from The Matrix 1 being projected onto something.

That's actually a scene from Johnny Mnemonic. Not really.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Dave posted:

I wish Keanu didn't have the beard to make this feel a little less like John Wick in the Matrix but it's nothing I'm super passionate about.

I could swear I saw a shot somewhere that shows Neo by a mirror and his reflection is someone who looks completely different and older? That combined with this...

...has me wondering if something is up with that? We know from the prior films that when jacking back into the Matrix they can look how they want to, but if Neo doesn't know who he is and the machines brought him back, maybe we see Keanu as Neo but the characters in the world see someone else? Would actually be interesting if they played with the fourth wall like that, and the trailer has plenty of clips showing that he doesn't know who he is for a portion of the movie at least.

Edit: 1:11 in the trailer has him seeing his own reflection as someone else. That and a character in the film actually referring to 'The Matrix' at the end of the trailer makes me think they're going to go kinda meta with this?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I am hyped. I love all 3 Matrix movies and have liked almost everything the Wachowskis have done since. Yes, even Jupiter Ascending, idgaf.

It's hard to see but I feel like they're going for something similar on that tv in the top right corner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope they bring back the robot baby face swarm

Basebf555 posted:

It's because of the connection Neo has to The Source that I mentioned above. He has something in him that is kind of like a wi-fi connection to all the machines, because the machines are connected to The Source.

That's always how I thought of it too

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

That looks cool as loving hell. The Matrix is back, baby!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class. I’ve seen the first one a lot, because it’s good, and the second and third once each because they’re extremely poor, with perhaps enough ideas and action for two thirds of one film. Most of the well-actually stuff is based on the second and third films, unsurprisingly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Torquemada posted:

Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class.

My wife wrote a thesis on phenomenological consciousness and all her friend told her that The Matrix was pretty much that and when she finally watched it she was very angry at her friends

So I'm watching this one by myself probably lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class. I’ve seen the first one a lot, because it’s good, and the second and third once each because they’re extremely poor, with perhaps enough ideas and action for two thirds of one film. Most of the well-actually stuff is based on the second and third films, unsurprisingly.

What is "well-actually stuff"?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
You'll get your 3 months of speculation and like it. (It's coming out this December)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just noticed when Trinity does her scream and those ghost copies appear around her that not all of them are her either, some of them look like different people. Can't predict where they're going with that and Neo but it's unexpected and exciting.

Torquemada posted:

Trailer looks pretty good, now to avoid the 14 months of ‘baby’s first philosophy class’ speculation it’s sure to fire up among the fedora wearing class.

I imagine somewhere in the alt-right cesspit there are already people trying to think of ways to co-opt the rubber duck imagery :gonk:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/BrianDuffield/status/1435989362177560577?s=20

A film person I trust to hear legit rumors.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

I dunno, looks kinda burnt to me

e:

Thanks. Found an even better image showing that you're right:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Shiroc posted:

I just hope this one is as super duper trans and general queer too.

Between the trailer and the teasers I really think they're going to lean heavily on that, with Neo's amnesia and lingering memories being a "machines trying to reassert who they want you to think you are, but only you know yourself" thing. Those scenes staring into the mirror trying to see your real self in your eyes, and revulsing at the image of an aged up reflection gave me dysphoria flashbacks. I can see it being a parable for asserting your identity against a backdrop of encroaching fascism, "...you have to fight for it" and all.

But who knows, it might just be kung fu moves against CGI agents and I'm there for that too because it looked cool as all hell

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Necrothatcher posted:

What is "well-actually stuff"?

People speculating on every microscopic detail of the trailer and trying to explain their positions using the kludged-together nonsense developed to provide a framework for two exceptionally poor action films.

Also, three months, not fourteen, thanks for the correction.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
something about that trailer is really hitting my 'this is gonna suck' buttons and i'm not sure why

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horizon Burning posted:

something about that trailer is really hitting my 'this is gonna suck' buttons and i'm not sure why

I think for me it feels a bit "off" just because it has that super crisp modern digital cinematography which gives me vibes of like, Ready Player One or something like that. Whereas The Matrix trilogy was one of the last big blockbuster action series to still have that shot on film feel.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torquemada posted:

People speculating on every microscopic detail of the trailer and trying to explain their positions using the kludged-together nonsense developed to provide a framework for two exceptionally poor action films.

Yeah people talking about what things in the trailer might mean by referencing the previous movies does sound like a bad time.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah people talking about what things in the trailer might mean by referencing the previous movies does sound like a bad time.

The bad parts of the previous movies*

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torquemada posted:

The bad parts of the previous movies*

You should rewatch them. I saw them once in 2003 and wrote them off as pretentious garbage but went back to them last week and had a good time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Horizon Burning posted:

Yeah I did not get any good feelings watching that trailer. I'm hype because of my affection for the first 3 movies - even the sequels which are uneven but have more good than bad IMO - but as soon as the song started playing I just got a sinking feeling.

Maybe they'll stick the landing, IDK. Best case scenario it's at least decent and makes enough money that the Wachowskis can go back to making really weird passion projects for a while.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Torquemada posted:

Also, three months, not fourteen, thanks for the correction.

why do you care if people discuss the previous movies in the context of this new trailer. like just close your eyes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Horizon Burning posted:

Maybe it reminded you that it is a matrix sequel?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Necrothatcher posted:

You should rewatch them. I saw them once in 2003 and wrote them off as pretentious garbage but went back to them last week and had a good time.

I think the sad truth of those films is that given how mindblowing The Matrix was at the time, there was very little chance the sequels were ever going to live up to it, and while 18 years removed from the situation it might be pretty easy to just turn off your brain and enjoy them, I remember keenly how much of a letdown Revolutions was, and how much I hated the apparent lobotomization of Neos personality in both the sequels.

They probably are not all that bad, but I personally will never be able to view them outside of that context.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Just lol at you nerds complaining about White Rabbit being used in a franchise who's initial entry was 50% Alice in Wonderland references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Shardix posted:

Just lol at you nerds complaining about White Rabbit being used in a franchise who's initial entry was 50% Alice in Wonderland references.

Neo literally walks through the looking glass in the trailer. It owns.