Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

I don’t think anyone was truly appreciating the username/post combo here.
Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

need to get yourself an avatar, may i suggest this:

paging noted mod HA to hook up this excelletn poster

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think the thing that really put me off Elayne as a person was during the trip to Ebou Dar where she spent the entire time aggressively bullying Mat.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Elayne comes off unlikable because she does dumb things but never really suffers any serious consequences. That's because she was destined to succeed by the author way before any kind of prophecy worked into anything.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

calandryll posted:

I just want an epic Dumai's well. Easily the best sequence in the series m

I'm still hoping they do the "Mat realizes he's speaking the Old Tongue to Brigitte" scene well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't wait till they join the circus for an entire season

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

on multiple non-consecutive occasions

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Data Graham posted:

I can't wait until they talk about winnowing wheat and that thing that happened last season for an entire season.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So Habor was creepy as gently caress at least.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

seaborgium posted:

I'm still hoping they do the "Mat realizes he's speaking the Old Tongue to Brigitte" scene well.

The “Mat leaves with a horse and returns with a personal army and the head of Couladin” sequence is one of my favorite moments, and I hope they can do it justice without his internal monologue.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

God its so funny, and so badass. That never happens.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Have Mat explain to someone how it happened, keep most of the monologue intact and adds some hopefully great emoting from the Actor.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
There’s an actual chance we get Mat beating the douche bros in the Tower and that should be enough for anyone imho.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MadHat posted:

Have Mat explain to someone how it happened, keep most of the monologue intact and adds some hopefully great emoting from the Actor.

A montage done like Luis from the Ant-Man movies where it's Mat recounting the story in a sardonic self-effacing way while the visual of him actually doing the thing has him saying the exact same thing, but his body language is that of a heroic leader. Everyone reacts to it as such.

'And so I said "no you bloody fools, follow me if you want to live" and I ran away and suddenly there were Aiel everywhere.'

Cut to Mat shouting "follow me if you want to live" while pointing a sword over a hill. They charge full speed, Mat in the lead, and they crash right into a squad of Aiel as they crest the top, taking them in the flank. Mat fights furiously (because he has to), shouting curses the whole time, but his men take this as encouragement.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You could also just show the battle, and have Mat be talking to himself about slipping away or surely there's no enemies over there, or fight this pack and then we can run for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Do it as a bunch of quick cuts while mostly focusing on Rand's view of the battle

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Mat gets on his horse to leave, and then condense his entire Escape From Cairhien heroic victory to a few minutes at 8x speed and overlaid with him continuously cursing oh no oh bloody ashes oh flaming light.

Hard stop with him sitting at the fire looking dazed with everyone cheering and Couladin's head on the pole.

Rarity posted:

Do it as a bunch of quick cuts while mostly focusing on Rand's view of the battle

but this is probably best

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 9, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ConfusedUs posted:

A montage done like Luis from the Ant-Man movies where it's Mat recounting the story in a sardonic self-effacing way while the visual of him actually doing the thing has him saying the exact same thing, but his body language is that of a heroic leader. Everyone reacts to it as such.

'And so I said "no you bloody fools, follow me if you want to live" and I ran away and suddenly there were Aiel everywhere.'

Cut to Mat shouting "follow me if you want to live" while pointing a sword over a hill. They charge full speed, Mat in the lead, and they crash right into a squad of Aiel as they crest the top, taking them in the flank. Mat fights furiously (because he has to), shouting curses the whole time, but his men take this as encouragement.

Rarity posted:

:hmmyes:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lord Awkward posted:

Mat gets on his horse to leave, and then condense his entire Escape From Cairhien heroic victory to a few minutes at 8x speed and overlaid with him continuously cursing oh no oh bloody ashes oh flaming light.

Hard stop with him sitting at the fire looking dazed with everyone cheering and Couladin's head on the pole.

freeze frame
"So, you might be wondering how I ended up here..."

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
He can begrudgingly relate the whole thing to Mel during one of their naked massage sessions...oh wait this isn't GoT.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is Mat really the sort of character to ever talk about the actual facts of what happened with anyone? Shrugging, making a joke, and redirecting the topic seems more like his style.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

He can begrudgingly relate the whole thing to Mel during one of their naked massage sessions...oh wait this isn't GoT.

gonna laugh when a streaming prestige drama refuses to use the nudity the author handed to them (ie naked aes sedai ceremonies, sweat tents) on the count of being too gratuitous

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

gonna laugh when a streaming prestige drama refuses to use the nudity the author handed to them (ie naked aes sedai ceremonies, sweat tents) on the count of being too gratuitous

If they are going to do any nudity, it better be the sweat tents or the Aiel in general. 10 Aiel withered tits and grizzled bawbags for every perky wise one apprentice bottom or ageless bosom. Egwene running out of the sweat tents every time the clan chiefs show up with their dicks out is one of the funniest parts of TSR. It's like (in the US) the first time you go to the campus gym at college and see your aged professor with a leg up on the hand dryer, casually asking you how your paper is coming along while drying his balls.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

/\/\oh that happens in every men's lockerroom. loving old dudes just dgaf

Lord Awkward posted:

but this is probably best

and set it to yakity sax

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They aren’t gonna do the agelessness are they? That would be like half the cgi budget.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Invalid Validation posted:

They aren’t gonna do the agelessness are they? That would be like half the cgi budget.

i bet they'll just cast 35 y/o women and say they're 90 or whatever.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

mark immune posted:

i bet they'll just cast 35 y/o women and say they're 90 or whatever.

So casting as normal

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we've kind of already seen plenty of aes sedai from the trailer alone, they'll probably just use some makeup and call it a day

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

dumais wells isn't epic because of the head explosions

I don't mean it like that, Dumai's Wells is epic af.

I'm just wondering right now, based on the bright colored trailer, how they're going to handle the gnarly Game of Thrones poo poo like Deathgates on screen when the time comes. The worst thing that can happen to this show is that it's successful and they have to keep making it lol.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Invalid Validation posted:

I seem to recall in one of Rafe's AMAs that he mentioned that they couldn't figure out a way to do that without breaking the bank, and even then they weren't sure they could do it without it diving into the uncanny valley. So no, they pretty much aren't.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nashona posted:

So casting as normal

Pretty much. Luckily the author built in an in-world explanation for why they don't have to cast any olds.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall in one of Rafe's AMAs that he mentioned that they couldn't figure out a way to do that without breaking the bank, and even then they weren't sure they could do it without it diving into the uncanny valley. So no, they pretty much aren't.

But it's *supposed* to be in the uncanny valley.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soonmot posted:

But it's *supposed* to be in the uncanny valley.

it would cost infinite money and look like poo poo, just having middle-aged actors say they're much older than they look is far simpler

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 10, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the description of the tightening of the oath on their skin that causes the agelessness literally sounds like Botox so yeah I think just casting middle aged actresses will work just fine

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

like if Nicole Kidman was cruising around 18th C France people would definitely think there was witchcraft going on, people didn’t look like that

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I wonder what they will do with stilling and people not recognizing Siuan.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cast another actress, obviously

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Easy answer is to just recast the actress as someone younger, but I really like Sophie Okonedo, so hopefully they don't do this. There's plenty of shock to play up with the fall from grace of the world's most powerful woman - they don't need to make her unrecognizably younger too. It would be really confusing for audiences anyway.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I wonder what they will do with stilling and people not recognizing Siuan.

i feel like just have her no longer dress like the most powerful person in the world and change the hair and makeup a little and it'll be easy enough

you don't have to do the Younger part specifically, it's easy to have someone you only encounter in the context of highly formal positions of power look totally different dressed like a normal person (like when you see pictures of some celeb walking around unmade up in normal clothes)

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lean right into it and have her stilled self played by a flaming redhead ultra-pale woman, then when she gets her channeling back she's just suddenly Sophie again. No acknowledgement or even mention.