Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I'm cautiously optimistic. The trailer had some cool moments, and while the previous sequels definitely had problems they also introduced some pretty interesting and mindbending concepts. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the same premise but with 20 years of improvements in special effects.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I've been trying to pin down why the super-sharp look just feels so wrong to me, and I think it's this. The Matrix's aesthetic just seems so wrapped up in the late-90s that it's really odd seeing Matrix code scrolling around that just looks so... smooth and non-pixellated. I almost wish they would have kept the setting in the same year (wasn't there a line about the machines specifically basing the environment on 1999?).

In the first film, Smith does say that the current iteration of the Matrix was based on "The peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization..." But then in the sequels there are a few lines saying that they've been fighting for 100 years, and then when we meet the Architect we learn that the Machines have destroyed Zion 5 times before, so I think the implication is that the Machines have been running the 20th century on a loop for the better part of a millennium, and when the next One shows up upon reaching Y2k, give or take a few years, they destroy and then repopulate Zion and reset the Matrix back to 1900?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I always hated the choice to set the sequels in one big city, and to imply that the entire matrix world was just that city. In the first film it was supposed to be that our own world was a simulation, wasn't it? And some of the coolest parts of the Animatrix were set in simulations of other places, like Japan.

On the other hand, there was that one scene in Reloaded where Neo goes through a portal door and ends up way in the mountains, and he calls Link who tells him that Morpheus and Trinity are "in the middle of the city, 500 miles Due South," and then he flies off and doesn't reach them until the end of the whole Freeway action sequence.

Just how big the Matrix world is is something that the movies never quite settled on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I almost want to check the leaks, can't wait!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

INH5 posted:

In the first film, Smith does say that the current iteration of the Matrix was based on "The peak of your civilization. I say your civilization because as soon as we started thinking for you, it really became our civilization..." But then in the sequels there are a few lines saying that they've been fighting for 100 years, and then when we meet the Architect we learn that the Machines have destroyed Zion 5 times before, so I think the implication is that the Machines have been running the 20th century on a loop for the better part of a millennium, and when the next One shows up upon reaching Y2k, give or take a few years, they destroy and then repopulate Zion and reset the Matrix back to 1900?

I don't think it resets to 1900, my interpretation is that the Matrix world is always circa 1999, with no progress made and everyone just unquestioningly accepting it because that's a key feature of the Matrix.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
The reason some people cannot accept the Matrix is the subconscious realization that Spongebob Squarepants has been airing the same Season 1 every year for decades.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Shardix posted:

Just lol at you nerds complaining about White Rabbit being used in a franchise who's initial entry was 50% Alice in Wonderland references.

there's no subtlety to it. much like everything else in that trailer

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't think it resets to 1900, my interpretation is that the Matrix world is always circa 1999, with no progress made and everyone just unquestioningly accepting it because that's a key feature of the Matrix.

People often question/reject the Matrix and awaken at the age of 25 when they realized Bloodborne hasn't been released yet

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
About that rubber duck...

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Shardix posted:

The reason some people cannot accept the Matrix is the subconscious realization that Spongebob Squarepants has been airing the same Season 1 every year for decades.

When napster happened the progression of new music basically stopped and for the last 20 years men's fashion has been entirely based around skinny jeans. I think everything stopped in about 2002.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think there's Matrix comics and short stories that take place in the 1980s, so it's not necessarily always 1999.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This is amusing but I think it's just a coincidence more than anything: https://twitter.com/ricardojuchem/status/1435962397341147137

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Yeah really wish it had the subtlety of the first movie where the main characters name is an anagram for One

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that Reloaded succeeded in doing was upping the ante on the action spectacle though, people were mostly in agreement on that when it came out. The highway chase and the Neo vs. Merovingian's goons fight were like the stuff from the first movie cranked up to 11.

The highway sequence was cool, but I strongly disagree with the other part. The movie had by that point taken so many pains to show how powerful Neo is that you spend the entire fight scene thinking, "So what?"

The goons he's fighting have no chance of even putting him in danger, and even if they did all he has to do is decide he's done and fly away like he does versus the Smith gang. There are no stakes whatsoever.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just got done watching the films again, theyr still good.

I like the theory that neo is mean to be the 1 but is actually the 1.0 and is constantly causing floating point errors

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah really wish it had the subtlety of the first movie where the main characters name is an anagram for One

Seriously, one of my favorite things about the Matrix is how unsubtle its imagery and metaphors are. Not everything needs to be some arcane reference or subdued symbolism, sometimes you just gotta use a hammer and bonk the audience with it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Subtlety is overrated

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Subtlety, much like subtext, is for cowards.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

You're not wrong but the primary thing is to get asses into seats, which means air horns and giant neon flashing signs pointing at the thematics so Rando Q. Dipshit can follow along.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Look to your left. Look to your right. If neither of these people is Rando Q Dipshit, it’s you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SolarFire2 posted:

The highway sequence was cool, but I strongly disagree with the other part. The movie had by that point taken so many pains to show how powerful Neo is that you spend the entire fight scene thinking, "So what?"

The goons he's fighting have no chance of even putting him in danger, and even if they did all he has to do is decide he's done and fly away like he does versus the Smith gang. There are no stakes whatsoever.

thats a bit off a main complaint people had at the time actually. in 1 we infer neo has fully awakened and is now essentially God in the Matrix but 2 and 3 show us he's more of a superhuman than God. He's bound by limitations of being a person, hes just able to flex a bit more than everyone else. Morpheus, Trinity et al do things normal people cant and Neo is merely a step up from them, not wholly apart. God does not fistfight goons.

From some trailer scenes it looks like Neo's "powers" are a bit more developed.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I sincerely believe that if something like Alien came out now in 2021 there’d be nerds talking about how the movie isn’t subtle about its themes and therefore it’s bad

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Look to your left. Look to your right. If neither of these people is Rando Q Dipshit, it’s you

Oh, it is absolutely me, every time.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Ghosthotel posted:

we're not talking about the 20-year old first movie, we're talking about the trailer for the new sequel

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ghosthotel posted:

I sincerely believe that if something like Alien came out now in 2021 there’d be nerds talking about how the movie isn’t subtle about its themes and therefore it’s bad

When they announced the new Alien TV series you had right wingers up in arms about the corporation being the villain, lmao

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
there's a shot of a alice in wonderland book, and later there's a shot of a white rabbit tattoo in a trailer scored to jefferson airplane - white rabbit. which is apparently hella good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

there's a shot of a alice in wonderland book, and later there's a shot of a white rabbit tattoo in a trailer scored to jefferson airplane - white rabbit. which is apparently hella good

Yeah, it owns. I can't stop watching the trailer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

And they sync up with the lyrics! Subtlety is for cowards.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GonSmithe posted:

Lawrence Fishburne's Morpheus canonically died in an alley shooting in a video game, sorry.

Yea unlike Disney, we HONOR THE CANON here

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also it features Keanu Reeves, the guy from The Matrix! I mean how blatant can they get

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Feel free to just sit this one out. :shrug:

Don't know why you're getting yourself worked up over something you clearly aren't interested in.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 9, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Oh man can you imagine if in the original Matrix someone told Neo to follow the white rabbit and then he sees a girl with a rabbit tattoo? Or if other characters made multiple references to Alice in Wonderland? People would be walking out of the theatre in droves!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfIkKcWaSg

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1436046204685664259

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Well that seals it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The first Matrix (1999) was a culmination of pre-9/11 engagement with themes of anomie, frustration, and self-actualization. It is the ultimate Gen X movie.

However, we have seen in the intervening decades how that selfsame ideology of individualism and self-expression is actually a comfortable fit for late stage capitalist consumerism, and offers little defense against the barbarism of the 21st century. Witness how easily the imagery of "The Red Pill" is adopted by deranged Internet misogynists and reactionaries, for example. It's not enough to say that they are simply misreading the film or acting in bad faith. In fact, they have correctly identified the evils of hyper-capitalist exploitation; their solution, however, inserted into the ideological gap of The Matrix, is to return to old systems of master-slave domination (with themselves as masters, of course).

The challenge of The Matrix IV (2021), then, is surely to fill in the gap left by the first movie: Neo is a failed messiah whose agenda of "raising consciousness" or "bringing attention to the issues [of the Matrix]" has been utterly discredited. What is the third choice, beyond the false binary of blue and red pills?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Correct

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

porfiria posted:

What is the third choice, beyond the false binary of blue and red pills?

Neo and the Deus Ex Machina take cyber-peyote in the desert (of the Real)

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jimbot posted:

Subtlety, much like subtext, is for cowards.

Garth Marenghi is and always will be right.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This looks awesome and I can't wait.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I completely forgot that Enter the Matrix had a cutscene where Jada Pinkett Smith and Monica Bellucci make out.

e: lmao this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcXWKi1h6Y

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

dreffen posted:

Garth Marenghi is and always will be right.

My aunt lives in Scotland. She says it’s quite nice.