Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A frosting of mold on my pothos soil, ugggh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hirayuki posted:

A frosting of mold on my pothos soil, ugggh :(

just scoop it out, it’s fine

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

question for this thread...I've got a small backyard with a ton of 80+ year old camelias, roses, maytens, and plum/apple trees. Normally we don't do any watering or care whatsoever for any of these since they're so established. But with the California drought being so severe this year I'm wondering if there's anything I'll end up needing to do.

What should I watch for and what should I do if I see those signs?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Also, I'm pretty sure I've completely murdered this bush I tried planting in our front yard by over-fertilizing it 6 months ago. I thought I was able to save it back in May by cutting it back, flushing it out with a ton of water, and packing worm castings from my vermiculture bin around it. It sprang back and looked great for two months and then suddenly collapsed again this month.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have tree questions!

Up first:

We lost a 60 year old oak to an ice storm last fall, and now have this oak...bush... growing from its stump. Can we trim back all but the strongest stems and let it grow?

Second:

My neighbor cut down his mimosa tree last fall due to ice damage as well. My horribly neglected front garden now has a seedling!!!

Can I transplant it? If so, how far from the house should it be? Maybe smack in the middle of the far end of the rectangle?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

effika posted:

We lost a 60 year old oak to an ice storm last fall, and now have this oak...bush... growing from its stump. Can we trim back all but the strongest stems and let it grow?

Yes though you want to be careful about how you prune it to avoid getting a multitrunked tree that's structurally unsound and you may run into issues with (parts of) the stump decomposing.

effika posted:

Can I transplant it? If so, how far from the house should it be? Maybe smack in the middle of the far end of the rectangle?

You can transplant basically anything. Summer isn't the best time to do so but you can usually get away with it if you can avoid loving up the roots too much (e.g. dig around it and pull out a bulb of soil around them instead of pulling the roots out of the ground). How big it might get (and where it is then reasonable to plant it) depends on the species. IIRC they're super invasive in a lot of the US, though.

El Mero Mero posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I've completely murdered this bush I tried planting in our front yard by over-fertilizing it 6 months ago. I thought I was able to save it back in May by cutting it back, flushing it out with a ton of water, and packing worm castings from my vermiculture bin around it. It sprang back and looked great for two months and then suddenly collapsed again this month.

Are the leaves dried out? It looks a lot like a rhododendron having an unhappy time in too much heat.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 30, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Wallet posted:

Yes though you want to be careful about how you prune it to avoid getting a multitrunked tree that's structurally unsound and you may run into issues with (parts of) the stump decomposing.

You can transplant basically anything. Summer isn't the best time to do so but you can usually get away with it if you can avoid loving up the roots too much (e.g. dig around it and pull out a bulb of soil around them instead of pulling the roots out of the ground). How big it might get (and where it is then reasonable to plant it) depends on the species. IIRC they're super invasive in a lot of the US, though.

Thanks! I need some trees trimmed this fall so I may see if they'll help out with the oak bush too to help it out.

I guess I better call my county extension about the mimosa! I know I see them not infrequently here, but they sure aren't native. They look and smell so nice, so much better than the awful Bradford pears around here. (We called them "jizz trees" in high school.) The city even does a campaign every ice storm about how if you lost a Bradford pear, just let it go, and get a prettier and better tree instead! Anyway. Fingers crossed on the mimosa!

Thanks for the help, thread!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Wallet posted:

Are the leaves dried out? It looks a lot like a rhododendron having an unhappy time in too much heat.

that's what I thought, but the soil still feels a bit damp around it and I've done some deep 1-minute long drenches recently...

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

that's what I thought, but the soil still feels a bit damp around it and I've done some deep 1-minute long drenches recently...

What zone are you in? Some varieties apparently don't handle heat well at all, even if they're being watered.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Once upon a time, a lovely goon in this very thread sent me two voodoo lily bulbs from their burgeoning collection. Three and a half years later, I see why they felt the need to thin the ranks.

The two biggest ones are original. The other 17 came later. At the start of this season, I put the two biggest in their own pots, or so I thought; I planted one, two, or three bulbs in each of the other, smaller pots. I don't think there's a single pot that didn't wind up with at least one surprise bonus plant.

One day I'll share the wealth and pay it forward and all that, but I'm not feeling overwhelmed just yet! I dig this little tropical-ish corner of my yard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Holy poo poo my cactus started going crazy with the blooms last night, I never seen this many at one time!

This was about 10pm last night:

They all closed back up by the morning.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Holy poo poo my cactus started going crazy with the blooms last night, I never seen this many at one time!

This was about 10pm last night:

They all closed back up by the morning.

Wawawiwa Very Nice!

A couple of my cacti flowered again over the last two weeks but I missed the blooms between travel, heavy rain in the NE, and them being outside and not wanting to go and creep out my downstairs neighbors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi, so I have 3-4 cats depending on if I spot the fourth one in the next few days.

Are there houseplants that cats won't touch? Won't chew on and puke eveywhere, or whatever?

We used to have so many houseplants but one by one they shredded the leaves, knocked the pots off sills, pissed in the soil, etc.

I'm tired of not having plants, though. So this time I wanna be more careful about which ones I choose, how I place them (more hanging planters I guess), and keep training my cats to stay the gently caress away from them.

So are there any houseplants people might recommend that cats would find at least disinteresting, and any I should absolutely avoid if I don't want the cats to die vomiting?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Hi, so I have 3-4 cats depending on if I spot the fourth one in the next few days.

Are there houseplants that cats won't touch? Won't chew on and puke eveywhere, or whatever?

We used to have so many houseplants but one by one they shredded the leaves, knocked the pots off sills, pissed in the soil, etc.

I'm tired of not having plants, though. So this time I wanna be more careful about which ones I choose, how I place them (more hanging planters I guess), and keep training my cats to stay the gently caress away from them.

So are there any houseplants people might recommend that cats would find at least disinteresting, and any I should absolutely avoid if I don't want the cats to die vomiting?

No lilies ever

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Finding plants that both look good and won't murder the cat has been our primary problem. I've mostly placed my plants in places that I make inaccessible to cats, and my girlfriend has had good luck with succulents with pointy tips like haworthias. That said, our cat is 14 and most of his rear end in a top hat days are behind him.

He still gets a good bite of spider plant every few months and then vomits all over the apartment, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As of present I'm learning how to get really good at macrame so I can have 70's-rear end hanging plants all over

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Spiky, visually animal-deterrent plants are good. Cacti, esp with big spines (golden barrel cactus, etc) rather than small clingy or hairy spines that might not be initially noticed by an animal until it’s too late, or curiously nuzzled to unfortunate effect (I’d avoid mammillaria, etc)

I’d avoid euphorbias. They’re not spiky enough to entirely avoid a curios bite in the wrong spot and their latex will severely irritate/injure/kill your cat if ingested/wiped in eyes, etc. This can include their relatives, the crotons and poinsettias and spurges

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is this the right thread to ask gardening questions? If not point me in the right direction and I'll move this.

I've got a pepper plan that's got yellowing leaves and I can't figure out why. I put some fertilizer in it a bit ago so I don't THINK it's that, but maybe. I'm not seeing signs of any kind of infestation, and the plants next to it is fine. The soil is damp, so I don't think it's under-watering. I've read some things online saying it could be overwatering, but the plants next to it look just fine.

It's sitting outside in full sunlight, temps are averaging in the 80s during the day, so it's not that. We've gotten a bunch of rain recently, but again the plants next to it are fine.

I'll throw up a couple pics in a sec once I get them off my phone.

Here it is:

Detail of the leaves:

Here's its neighbor.

The neighbor plant makes smaller, crappier peppers, while this guy makes some monsters. Frankly if the situation was reversed I'd probably just kill the other plant and start a new one, but I want to keep this guy going if I can. As it is I think I'm going to save some seeds off it and see if I can get some other plants producing like this.

edit: Chile de Arbol, should have mentioned that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Some new cactus friends: myrtillocactus geometrizans cv fukurokuryuzinboku aka the fun boobies cactus, opuntia and echinopsis subdenudata.

I didn't follow directions and I just bought some miracle-grow cactus mix but the Gritty mix idea got me researching and now I'm just making my own cactus mix out of: coarse sand, perlite and sieved potting soil (50-25-25).

I've started watering the cacti at night when the soil feels dry about an inch down.

Thanks friends. :)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this the right thread to ask gardening questions? If not point me in the right direction and I'll move this.

I've got a pepper plan that's got yellowing leaves and I can't figure out why. I put some fertilizer in it a bit ago so I don't THINK it's that, but maybe. I'm not seeing signs of any kind of infestation, and the plants next to it is fine. The soil is damp, so I don't think it's under-watering. I've read some things online saying it could be overwatering, but the plants next to it look just fine.

It's sitting outside in full sunlight, temps are averaging in the 80s during the day, so it's not that. We've gotten a bunch of rain recently, but again the plants next to it are fine.

I'll throw up a couple pics in a sec once I get them off my phone.

The neighbor plant makes smaller, crappier peppers, while this guy makes some monsters. Frankly if the situation was reversed I'd probably just kill the other plant and start a new one, but I want to keep this guy going if I can. As it is I think I'm going to save some seeds off it and see if I can get some other plants producing like this.

edit: Chile de Arbol, should have mentioned that.

Eating plants are normally the other Gardening thread, but w/e. Yellowing leaves are normally because you're getting short on nutrients (or it's getting cold at night in the 50-60F range and they're starting to just die back). Add some fruiting balanced fertilizer with Calcium and Magnesium and it will be able to bounce back okay if it needs food, otherwise, you can cover them at night if it's the temp.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jhet posted:

Eating plants are normally the other Gardening thread, but w/e. Yellowing leaves are normally because you're getting short on nutrients (or it's getting cold at night in the 50-60F range and they're starting to just die back). Add some fruiting balanced fertilizer with Calcium and Magnesium and it will be able to bounce back okay if it needs food, otherwise, you can cover them at night if it's the temp.

any particular suggestions on fruiting fertilizer? Googling it is showing me a bunch of stuff for fruit trees. Ideally something I could pick up at the local Home Depot / Lowes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

any particular suggestions on fruiting fertilizer? Googling it is showing me a bunch of stuff for fruit trees. Ideally something I could pick up at the local Home Depot / Lowes.

Are you sure it’s not sun scorch from midsummer? The one next to it looks like it gets some shade (I might be totally off base).

With a bunch of my maples, azalea prebonsai, crotons, and even a few of my succulents and conifers, placement variation of a few feet or inches meant big differences in visible stress and injury from one plant to another this summer. Like one tree would be fine or have minimal scorching and the one right next to it on the patio would have a ton of scorch.

The difference in environment can be very hard to notice, depending on the time of day. Even if it’s only 30 min of particularly strong light at noon or whatever and otherwise the two spots are identical.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are you sure it’s not sun scorch from midsummer? The one next to it looks like it gets some shade (I might be totally off base).

With a bunch of my maples, azalea prebonsai, crotons, and even a few of my succulents and conifers, placement variation of a few feet or inches meant big differences in visible stress and injury from one plant to another this summer. Like one tree would be fine or have minimal scorching and the one right next to it on the patio would have a ton of scorch.

The difference in environment can be very hard to notice, depending on the time of day. Even if it’s only 30 min of particularly strong light at noon or whatever and otherwise the two spots are identical.

They're right next to each other. I doubt it, but I"ll slide it over a few feet to see if that makes a difference.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I like the Fox Farm Tiger Bloom for spot fertilizing at the end of season. Really anything that’s higher in Phosphate (second number on label) than Nitrogen (first number) or even equal should be okay if it contains micro-nutrients. The powdered Organic Tomato fertilizer is also going to work okay, but I prefer to stop using it the beginning of August so the plants stop growing as much. It’ll still work in a pinch. You can get Cal-Mag by itself, but you won’t need much so ymmv.

It is a nice large plant, so if you haven’t fertilized it’s not really a surprise that it might be starting to find deficiencies.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
About to head back home after being away for nearly 2 weeks due to evacuating for Ida. House is fine, but hoping that all the plants I moved inside haven't dropped dead yet. Fingers crossed.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I didn't follow directions and I just bought some miracle-grow cactus mix but the Gritty mix idea got me researching and now I'm just making my own cactus mix out of: coarse sand, perlite and sieved potting soil (50-25-25).

I've started watering the cacti at night when the soil feels dry about an inch down.

Nice friends! Be careful mixing sand and other types of soil as it can go very poorly particularly if there is a significant difference between the particle size of the sand and the particle size of the soil. 2 parts perlite (or 1 part perlite 1 part pumice or fine gravel) to 1 part potting soil will work just fine (just try to get soil that isn't peat based).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I live in Maryland and have a number of fig cuttings of various sizes. This post is relevant to the two oldest cuttings, which have been in pots for over a year and are starting to resemble trees. Their leaves are not looking so hot, with small brown spots that start on the leaves at the bottom and eventually work their way up the tree. I do not see any fuzzy spots or spores on the underside of the leaves. My understanding of plants is "check for something eating them, check for spores, but maybe they just need fertilizer" so I need someone to tell me what I should be doing for these trees.

I have made a folder with leaf photos here and can take more. Please help, these trees have been my pandemic buddies and I want them to survive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maera Sior posted:

I live in Maryland and have a number of fig cuttings of various sizes. This post is relevant to the two oldest cuttings, which have been in pots for over a year and are starting to resemble trees. Their leaves are not looking so hot, with small brown spots that start on the leaves at the bottom and eventually work their way up the tree. I do not see any fuzzy spots or spores on the underside of the leaves. My understanding of plants is "check for something eating them, check for spores, but maybe they just need fertilizer" so I need someone to tell me what I should be doing for these trees.

I have made a folder with leaf photos here and can take more. Please help, these trees have been my pandemic buddies and I want them to survive.

Could be fig rust (a fungal disease) or phosphorus deficiency.

Fig rust is a more common problem, but the progression makes sense for phosphorus deficiency. It’s a mobile nutrient, so the plant pull it out of the older and generally less efficient leaves to make use of it in new growth.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Could be fig rust (a fungal disease) or phosphorus deficiency.

Fig rust is a more common problem, but the progression makes sense for phosphorus deficiency. It’s a mobile nutrient, so the plant pull it out of the older and generally less efficient leaves to make use of it in new growth.

Thanks, I'll set a schedule for regular feeding then.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been gifted a phalaenopsis orchid. The instructions for it say to put it somewhere humid with direct sunlight. I can offer it filtered light + humidity or direct light + not much humidity. Which one will keep it happier? Light?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I've been gifted a phalaenopsis orchid. The instructions for it say to put it somewhere humid with direct sunlight. I can offer it filtered light + humidity or direct light + not much humidity. Which one will keep it happier? Light?

I'd go with the latter first, then try the former. You can always add light/shade and humidity, or water/mist accordingly. But when in doubt, I'd rather avoid fungus. Phals are p much bulletproof if you give them a good growing medium.

What's it currently potted in? How big is it? Is it in flower? Post pics and we'll give you better advice

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pot:

Plant:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Actually, if I'm going to end up at Bunnings this weekend anyway buying plant stuff I should probably sort out this too: when I bought the medusa head plant I've posted about before I also on a whim bought a plant for my bathroom, which I assumed would eventually die due to me being bad at plants. It's actually been hanging on pretty well and growing and getting flowers, so I figure I actually should learn what it is and get it into proper potting mix and a better pot.

So, what should I be buying for this guy:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Actually, if I'm going to end up at Bunnings this weekend anyway buying plant stuff I should probably sort out this too: when I bought the medusa head plant I've posted about before I also on a whim bought a plant for my bathroom, which I assumed would eventually die due to me being bad at plants. It's actually been hanging on pretty well and growing and getting flowers, so I figure I actually should learn what it is and get it into proper potting mix and a better pot.

So, what should I be buying for this guy:

Looks like a Begonia. It probably likes the humidity it's getting in your bathroom but they also want good drainage.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i have a begonia question too... i've had this rhizomous begonia for a long time and a year ago several of the "branches" started doing poorly so i clipped them off and now the pot is big for what's left. they're also getting leggy (while one of the rhizomes i cut and repotted grows TOO fast and dense). the branch on the right in the below pic is also a little severed from the main root system and is struggling more because of it.

what's the best way to trim off the bare rhizome and repot this? most of what i can find online is for propagating leaves/rhizomes but not about cutting it back. should i cut the living parts into segments and just repot that or what?

also for my second begonia that's trying to leap from its pot, any tips on taming it? should i be pinching the ends when i see new leaves forming?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I picked up a very sad String of Pearls from the farmer's market today (along with a rather more robust Pilea) and I'm wondering what I can do to encourage growth, or if I should leave it be for a while. I gather it doesn't love being watered too much and I should probably give it some dilute liquid fertilizer, but any insight? It's sparse and has lost some pearls from the main growth but seems to be otherwise reasonably healthy.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

angerbeet posted:

I picked up a very sad String of Pearls from the farmer's market today (along with a rather more robust Pilea) and I'm wondering what I can do to encourage growth, or if I should leave it be for a while. I gather it doesn't love being watered too much and I should probably give it some dilute liquid fertilizer, but any insight? It's sparse and has lost some pearls from the main growth but seems to be otherwise reasonably healthy.

Put it in some gritty mix and don't water it very much; IIRC rowleyanus doesn't want super duper intense light. If it's got a bunch of bald spots they're pretty easy to propagate so you can always just cut past the bare spots and reroot. Once it's happy and well rooted it should grow without you having to do anything special.

Squeezy Farm posted:

what's the best way to trim off the bare rhizome and repot this? most of what i can find online is for propagating leaves/rhizomes but not about cutting it back. should i cut the living parts into segments and just repot that or what?

I don't really grow begonias but if they're actually rhizomes you should be able to just bury them. If they aren't rhizomes then your options are basically to cut them and reroot or just live with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Give it lots of light. Strings of Pearls/Fishhooks/etc get etiolated v easily.

Probably too late to bring it outside this season but putting it in a bright windowsill or under gro lights is what I’d do.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Thanks, very much appreciated to both of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wallet posted:

Looks like a Begonia. It probably likes the humidity it's getting in your bathroom but they also want good drainage.

Thanks, that's right I just keep remembering it as an old-lady-sounding-plant but can never remember which one. What does that translate to in a practical sense for a plant newbie? I have some succulent potting mix, should I put it in that or is that too much drainage? Is there a particular sort of pot I should put it in?