Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pentyne posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a book or the series I read a while back. It starts with a trio of boys being raised in an extremely harsh religious order preparing for some war. Eventually the main character catches the attention of a senior researcher who recruits him to help with some secret female 'captives' who are basically living in lavish luxury and kept ignorant of anything. It ends up that the senior is killing them to harvest some kind of 'pearl' that grows in people from a life of decandant luxury.

Eventually he escapes, takes one of the women (referred to constantly in bovine terms due to her massive chest) and flees the area to a nearby country's city that seems styled like Renaissance Italy, complete with a big class divide between nobles in commoners. There he rises in the ranks somehow and takes over from the nobility, ends up killing the former city guard captain noble in a duel. The culture he escaped from is some major theocracy claiming to be fighting against the end of the world and it's kind of true but things go bad and there's war/conflict.

One of the hooks is how the main character has something wrong with him, something special, that makes it easy for him to fight and kill people, like something in his head. No actual magic or obvious powers, but his condition is why he got some much attention in the first place.

I remember specifically that a ton of the names and locations were things like Sparta, London, Pittsburgh, etc. lots of names from a huge variety of places all in the same location, and in a afterword from the author he talked about how there's a 100 sq mile area in upper New York where you can find pretty much a similar diversity of names as proof it could be possible. It's set up like low fantasy but seems to be actually a post apocalyptic future.

Left Hand of God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Left Hand of God?

omfg that was driving me insane I know I read the entire series when working graveyard shifts but couldn't remember anything past the first book

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

branedotorg posted:

OK thanks, that'll make a nice change from when i finish WoT (23 days in, just finished Crown of Swords)

Persevere. Strong men have wept at the thought of rereading the first six chapters of book 9. Be brave.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

Persevere. Strong men have wept at the thought of rereading the first six chapters of book 9. Be brave.

Is that the kidnapping one? I think that's as far as I got way back when...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm very fond of the Dune Encyclopedia too, if you can find a copy. It's basically an expansion of all the historical quotes in the novels in glorious loony proto-official-fanfic form and it's stupidly good fun.

Agreed, it's amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

branedotorg posted:

Is that the kidnapping one? I think that's as far as I got way back when...

If you know what happened in those chapters then you can skip them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Heretics of Dune was a chore to work through for me and I never finished much of Chapterhouse Dune. That was 20+ years ago but I don't think my opinion would change much. My friend who is Dune obsessed liked all six but hate read the books by the son until they got to bad even he couldn't stand to read them. I picked up the parody book Doon from a used shop years ago but haven't tried to read it.

I recall liking Chapterhouse more than Heretics, but not the reasons why I felt that way. I'm generally of the "read God Emperor and stop" crowd, less because I feel Heretics and Chapterhouse drop in quality and more that God Emperor concludes the narrative begun in Dune while the next two are more of a new narrative set in its aftermath.

Also, Doon is delightful. It's full of both pointed jokes about Dune and silly slapstick bullshit. It's from that golden age of National Lampoon's when they could expertly mix highbrow and lowbrow into one fantastic unibrow.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

pentyne posted:

I remember specifically that a ton of the names and locations were things like Sparta, London, Pittsburgh, etc. lots of names from a huge variety of places all in the same location, and in a afterword from the author he talked about how there's a 100 sq mile area in upper New York where you can find pretty much a similar diversity of names as proof it could be possible. It's set up like low fantasy but seems to be actually a post apocalyptic future.

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman.

I didnt catch it at first, then I saw the last paragraph, because I remember about 10 years ago googling Memphis trying to figure out how it fit in this fantasy world.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I seem to remember from reading this thread that there are some CJ Cherryh books that are very highly regarded, and some others that are generally well regarded but kind of a slog to get through. Which ones are which? I'm curious about her sci-fi specifically. I know Pride of Chanur, Downbelow Station, and Foreigner come up a lot on "best sci-fi" lists, but I don't really know anything about any of them, and I know she has a ton of other books that are probably worth checking out.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MockingQuantum posted:

I seem to remember from reading this thread that there are some CJ Cherryh books that are very highly regarded, and some others that are generally well regarded but kind of a slog to get through. Which ones are which? I'm curious about her sci-fi specifically. I know Pride of Chanur, Downbelow Station, and Foreigner come up a lot on "best sci-fi" lists, but I don't really know anything about any of them, and I know she has a ton of other books that are probably worth checking out.

The Foreigner series is the only one I would call a slog, and that was still quite enjoyable for the first few books, IMO

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't read any of the Chanur or Foreigner books, but Downbelow Station would probably fall under the "good but kind of a slog" category, along with Cyteen and Devil to the Belt (originally published as the separate installments Heavy Time and Hellburner), big fat books focused on large-scale political intrigue and warfare. I think that Cherryh's at her best with her shorter, more character-focused books, like Merchanter's Luck and Rimrunners, or when she goes in a more anthropological/ecological direction, like the Faded Sun trilogy and Forty Thousand in Gehenna (a strong contender for my favorite of her novels). Cuckoo's Egg seems to fit both of those categories as well, although I haven't read it yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MockingQuantum posted:

The Cherryh fangirl has logged on

Her best entry points:

- Pride of Chanur Standalone, alien pov, 200~ pages. A crew of merchant lion aliens find a stowaway human and have to play politics to keep him out of other alien hands. One of her best imo. It has a sequel trilogy and that has a comedy/lighter-n-softer sequel. Only vaguely related to her main universe.

- Merchanter's Luck Standalone, humans, short. Focused on a pilot trying to impress a girl, kind of - it's darker, I remember the main character dealing with past trauma. This one is a great introduction to her primary universe, the Alliance-Union universe as it shows off characters and the setting of Downbelow Station.

Her Alliance-Union universe: hard sci-fi except for the FTL, which is based around the concept that the ships can go FTL, but if humans go into it without drugs, they'll see visions and usually die or go insane.

- Downbelow Station isn't as good as the rewards would have you believe, sadly, but it's still a fascinating book. It's about a space station caught between two sides of the war, taking in refugees and risking riots, and the multiple povs are people caught up in trying to make this stuff not explode into firey death. Unfortunately it has aliens and they're the planetside primitives, and Cherryh wrote them... poorly. Which sucks as aliens are usually her strong point! But not here. Here the aliens are noble savages.

- Cyteen is her best work, bar none. It's a giant novel that was split up into three parts for publication. It's super heavy and complicated, and I need to warn for slavery, rape, abuse, and similar triggers. It starts slow and weird, setting up the world: the colonized planet that's been ruled by a super-genius lady. Yes, there's a council, but she's been a heavy player for so long that when she's murdered, it upsets everything. Her family sets out to clone her and raise the clone to be her best heir... but things get complicated. There's a fascinating gay romance tucked into it, and lots of questions about what makes someone human.

- Regensis is Cyteen's sequel and while I loved it, it's not going to take you to the heights of Cyteen. It's honestly the author going "hey I'd like to see these characters again, see what they're up to" and doing just that without really expanding the concepts. More of a comfort-food sequel than a mind-expanding one.

- Rimrunners is about a soldier who's lost and literally starving for food and work at the beginning, and gets picked up by a ship that's not trustworthy or friendly. I haven't finished this one as it's so bleak, but I keep meaning to come back to it.

- Heavy Time / Hellburners is... they're prequels to the whole setting, and start about mining and wind up in military sci-fi territory, and I need to give them a better read than I did.

- Finity's End is about a teenager finding a home in a spaceship and also there's a lot of worldbuilding in the Alliance side of the universe. This one works better as a vague sequel to Downbelow Station I think? I remember enjoying it a lot.

- I don't remember Tripoint, sorry. And I haven't read Serpent's Reach, though I understand it's only vaguely, VAGUELY connected to this universe as it's set many millions of years away on a planet where the local humans coexist with the local bug aliens. The A-U universe rarely features aliens!

- Forty Thousand in Gehenna is another one of her great works. One faction dropped a colony ship on a planet and supported it while they built a colony and used their clone-people to help, and then the war shifted and they were abandoned. Cue the colony disintegrating and the genre shifting as it follows generations into a kind of fantasy story, as the offspring of the colony become kind of... bonded? With the local weird lizards, and it gets weird and cool.

Foreigner Series

- Foreigner is a series set up in trios.

The concept is that a human colony ship got lost on its way to its destination, and through a string of events it drops colonists on an alien planet and they settle and make peace, then war with the natives, and we enter the story centuries later. The humans live on a humans-only continent and interact with the aliens through a diplomat-translator who lives with the aliens. His name is Bren, and he will be your pov character for the next 20+ books.

The first trilogy is about Bren learning about the aliens and their politics and a major upheaval happening and spoilers spoilers spoilers

The second continues this, and I'll be blunt: consider the series finished at book 6. Books 1-6 are a closed story that's really fascinating and fun. Books 7+ are the author going "hey this is fun, can I keep going?" and she does. A new pov character enters, the author goes hard on delving into the alien society and really exploring it, and it becomes weirdly court intrigue cozy sci-fi with occasional adventures. I love it deeply but it slows down and becomes a relaxed adventure instead of the nail-biter it was before.

I've reread the whole thing at least twice and will do it a third time, don't tempt me.

Her Other Works

- Fortress in the Eye of Time is epic fantasy, and I adore it. A mage tries to summon back an ancient elf-lord-mage and fails... and succeeds. He gets a blank slate named Tristen instead, a boy who loves birds and doesn't understand anything. An evil mage destroys the mage, and Tristen is rudely forced to head out and grow up. The other protagonist is the young prince who quickly becomes an unready king, and this is one of my favorite depictions of medieval kingship in fantasy: he has to bargain and deal with the twin forces of the church (who hate elves) and his many lords, who are so eager to throw his authority aside.

The first book ends in a final battle against an ancient evil, but then the sequels are about the fallout and development of everyone in the universe. It's fascinating, and kind of feels like a prototype Foreigner in that the author relaxes and goes to explore the universe instead of sticking to a focused story.

- The rest of them. They're going to vary from utter dogshit (Hestia) to fuckin' weird (Voyager in Night) to stuff I'm already regretting not writing up (Faded Sun Trilogy). And the Morgaine series, which was her first work and I admit it, I didn't like it.

Reading Cherryh is one of my favorite things to do as the books are almost always interesting, they're ALWAYS tense and uncomfortable (she's really good at making you feel a character's misery) and she nails aliens unlike any other author. Absolutely understands how to make them weird in believable ways. I wish to god she'd write more of them instead of sticking to A-U and its mostly alien-free setting.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

StrixNebulosa posted:

Reading Cherryh is one of my favorite things to do as the books are almost always interesting, they're ALWAYS tense and uncomfortable (she's really good at making you feel a character's misery) and she nails aliens unlike any other author. Absolutely understands how to make them weird in believable ways. I wish to god she'd write more of them instead of sticking to A-U and its mostly alien-free setting.

Aliens that are alien are one of my favorite things in fiction, and I've been meaning to read more Cherryh that isn't Pride of Chanur, where my recollection of the aliens is that they're furry humans. What are her top books for aliens that are Not Human?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kestral posted:

Aliens that are alien are one of my favorite things in fiction, and I've been meaning to read more Cherryh that isn't Pride of Chanur, where my recollection of the aliens is that they're furry humans. What are her top books for aliens that are Not Human?

Alien heavy Cherryh:

- Chanur series, all of it (you'll see more of the non-lion-aliens in the trilogy. a lot more!)
- Faded Sun trilogy
- Serpent's Reach (I think, haven't read myself)
- Cuckoo's Egg (haven't read myself)
- Foreigner (all of it, the atevi are some of my favorite aliens)
- Hunter of Worlds (haven't read)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Very, very surprised that Forty Thousand in Gehenna isn't in that list.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudorandom name posted:

No, it has an infinity of worlds. Erasmus comes from a third Earth, which Miriam visits for a while. Remember, there was a long lost secret branch of the Family that was hell bent on revenge because they believed they had been abandoned by the rest of the Family, but in actuality the founder of this branch had lost his knotwork, redrawn it from incorrectly from memory, and accidentally ended up in a different universe.

Also, one of the skunkworks projects by the younger generation (in addition to the fertility clinics substituting Family sperm for the regular donors and the genetic research laboratories) was coming up with viable variations of the knotworks and exploring random parallel universes, this is what led to the Earth with the stealth dome that had been pierced by a gamma ray laser from orbit that contained the wormhole to an asteroid field where an Earth used to be.

The followup series is more interesting that the original, it is 20 years later, the obstinate Family leadership is all dead, the surviving Family traveled as refugees to Erasmus's world where Erasmus's revolutionaries have successfully established an American Communist Republic based on the Iranian constitution (because of Iran's demonstrated ability to survive against US hostilities), they're at war with the fascist French monarchy, and meanwhile the United Statues of America has declared world walkers non-humans without any rights, set up facial recognition and gait analysis cameras everywhere, cloned world walker neural tissue and started importing oil from parallel Earths and investigating the dome planet, and have also tracked down Miriam's daughter that she put up for adoption, recruited her into US intelligence as an asset against her mother, and activated her recessive world-walking genes.

This sounds wild, I might have to check it out.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ed balls balls man posted:

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman.

I didnt catch it at first, then I saw the last paragraph, because I remember about 10 years ago googling Memphis trying to figure out how it fit in this fantasy world.

That series was good but odd in so many ways.
If I recall, they figure out how to do biological warfare as well invent a nuke during the course of the series, all within a catholic medieval setting. It had some clear up and downs in terms of the story.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is Axiom's End by Ellis good? She has a sequel coming out.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Kraps posted:

I found it to be okay, neither great nor bad. The plot is Transformers, the prose is serviceable but rarely amazing. However I'm being a harsh grader, it's noticeably better than that of a lot of books that have their own threads on this subforum. I guess what I'm saying is that I was whelmed. I plan to get the sequel because 'fine' still puts it way above many other novels.

It's kind of like one of the recent Transformers movies, but by a better writer - if that interests you, you will like it.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Haven't read a bunch of Cherryh but I really liked the Faded Sun Trilogy so another recommendation for that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The very first Cherryh book I read was Finity's End and I think it's a good intro to that universe. There's a lot of backstory you won't understand but you don't really need to and it isn't intrusive in the book. It's very focused on a couple of specific characters and the plot is 'teen has to adjust to suddenly living on a spaceship' so you get introduced to that world with him. It's incredible.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ToughSf/status/1435987718975197186

https://twitter.com/nyrath/status/1436010987086286853

if you know what the projectrho website is, thats the guy who made it

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Foreigner Series

- Foreigner is a series set up in trios.

The concept is that a human colony ship got lost on its way to its destination, and through a string of events it drops colonists on an alien planet and they settle and make peace, then war with the natives, and we enter the story centuries later. The humans live on a humans-only continent and interact with the aliens through a diplomat-translator who lives with the aliens. His name is Bren, and he will be your pov character for the next 20+ books.

I recently had the displeasure of reading a Goodreads review of Foreigner that sniffily condemned Cherryh for, like too many female SF/F writers, having an outmoded and inept focus on the interior psychology of its characters, violating 'show, don't tell.' I checked the guy's other reviews, and yeah, he doesn't have the most enlightened views towards books that feature the experiences of GSM.

gently caress.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kraps posted:

Fwiw I checked it out from the library and returned it a week later unread. The first couple of pages feature high school essay level writing which is fine sometimes but I bounced off this one.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The first couple of pages feature high school essay level writing which is fine sometimes but I bounced off this one.

That is exactly how I would describe the prose in Axiom's End, yes.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Fwiw I checked it out from the library and returned it a week later unread. The first couple of pages feature high school essay level writing which is fine sometimes but I bounced off this one.

It's got a 3.8 rating on Goodreads, allowing for the 1-1.5 Goodreads inflation that's bad.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have only read Foreigner; it's highly regarded and was a slog to get through.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Snuff (Discworld #39) by Terry Pratchett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FFW46S/

Revenger by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

Again, Dangerous Visions: Stories by Harlan Ellison - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90EO6S/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

Again, Dangerous Visions: Stories by Harlan Ellison - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90EO6S/

This is a great collection of which only some are by Ellison.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Remembering how batshit Heinlein went in response to that test bad, does anyone want to imagine how much 9/11 would have made him lose it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FPyat posted:

gently caress.

Yeah, Winchell is a legend.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/prelimnotes.php

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

This is a great collection of which only some are by Ellison.

Yeah, it includes some really good stories ... and then there's Piers Anthony's "In the Barn."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

branedotorg posted:

i was going to recommend that too but it's really only two alternate worlds right? It's awhile since i read them.

Has anyone read the recent follow up series? i read up to where Washington gets nuked, i've bought the new ones but they never seem to get to the top of my pile.

At least by the follow up series there's at least 4 alternate timelines that have mattered. Note that what looks like 'our' timeline is one of them from the start...(topically, note how they describe their version of 9/11).

I have read and liked the followup series fwiw :shrug:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 11, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it includes some really good stories ... and then there's Piers Anthony's "In the Barn."

God dammit! I'd almost removed that loving story from my memory. Thanks a whole loving lot.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Selachian posted:

You made me remember "In the Barn" and now I have to raid my liquor cabinet and drink myself blind on a work night, THANKS.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm never going to read anything by Piers Anthony ever again: what's so bad about the Barn story?

Also hi I just bought several Jack L Chalker novels because my brain has impulses sometimes, and I did enjoy the Quintara Marathon for being batshit crazy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Cherryh fangirl has logged on

This is super useful for future-me who will eventually get around to a Cherryh read so I am thanking you in advance, and posting so that I can find this again in the future.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

This is super useful for future-me who will eventually get around to a Cherryh read so I am thanking you in advance, and posting so that I can find this again in the future.

:yeah:

A few bonus notes:

- The earlier the work by Cherryh, the more likely it is to be brutal/bleak/grim. Her writing really mellowed as she aged, and you can see a direct line from her earliest stuff (Morgaine, Faded Sun) being almost painful to read reaching the 80s-90s where there's a fine line (the bulk of her best work) and then she hits the 2000s and her stuff just relaxes into almost cozy sci-fi. (Foreigner book 7+, Chanur 5 (it's practically a comedy). I can't explain it, as I don't know much about her personal life.

- What I do know about her personal life is that she's a happily married lesbian to another author (Jane Fancher) and blogs about surprisingly banal/boring stuff on her Wave Without A Shore blog.

... that said, uh wow I just spotted this while opening her blog:

quote:

That’s what’s delayed getting books done. But Alliance 2 (title uncertain) is underway again, our publisher is endlessly patient and sympathetic, I’ve caught up to where I was when the cancer intervened, and I’m back at work in my work station for hours on end. For those of you new here, I had colon cancer, which threw Jane off her schedule to get 2 hips replaced, while she took care of me (and my biweekly sessions in the chemo lab and two days later getting the inserted line disconnected) until I was through chemo, then a gallbladder attack sent me taking her to the ER clinic at 3 AM in a snowstorm and she ended up having emergency gallbladder removal at 10:30 the following morning. A week before her rescheduled first hip replacement. So that was how we spent OUR 2020. She’s now had her second hip replaced, and I’m recovering nicely, past the tests, and we’re both vaccinated and will be fully-aged-and-immune come this THursday. Yay!

Anyway, yep, I’ve tried 2 editions of Dragon and it still can’t punctuate or paragraph on its own. So I will type while I can poke one key at a time on the keyboard. Jane is doing her final edit on her book, Homecoming Games, before I hand her the half-completed Alliance for HER gothrough and writing of the next scenes in our collaborative effort. Then I’ll take it back, etc, etc.

gently caress cancer, and gently caress aging, I want her to stick around writing infinite Foreigner sequels. :sigh:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also hi I just bought several Jack L Chalker novels because my brain has impulses sometimes, and I did enjoy the Quintara Marathon for being batshit crazy.

You can't just not tell us which ones, you drat tease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

You can't just not tell us which ones, you drat tease.

Web of the Chozen, Lilith, Midnight at the Well of Souls, and Cybernetic Walrus. I made sure to get a proper spread so I can try his different series.

e: The Four Lords of Diamond stands out to me a lot because the concept of splitting an assassin into four separate people on wildly different planets is buckwild.