Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems the people willing to go to a football game during a pandemic are self-selecting for "chud"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

does anyone has the clip of those american anti-choice protestors getting pushed around by irish police, screaming about the first amendment, then doing the shocked pikachu face when the irish hogs go "we don't have a first amendment in ireland"??

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems the people willing to go to a football game during a pandemic are self-selecting for "chud"

yeah .. and they VOTE ! :D

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joe-ver party

thats right

they're screaming "gently caress joe biden" then when they get the deltoid

they're gonna say "i can't believe i caught joe-vid, unreal. that piece of poo poo this is on him when he open bidened"

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

The Vinja Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/AlisaValdesRod1/status/1436647233533845507

Even better news is coming out

Long covid is just eternal covid

love to uncritically cite “NYTimes bestselling author” and their reading of a scientific paper they are absolutely not qualified to interpret

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lil poopendorfer posted:

yeah .. and they VOTE ! :D

Plenty of them won't be voting soon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7005773468113407238

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home today due to an all day training that will keep me out of the schools. Is day drinking expected? This is kind of new to me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, it's this.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Vinja Ninja posted:

ok if this is true it’s absolutely an intentional engineered release to decimate the population, this will certainly help with climate change tho so its hard to say whether its good or bad.

crack ping early today for me

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'm the repeated implications from this alleged mother that she's willing to let her daughter die to be proven right about the horse paste

when i call my momma, we just cackle about chud deaths in the hospitals

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FrancisFukyomama posted:

a doctor friend mentioned that a lot of the new residents are book smart but don’t really know what they’re doing since the last year of med school has been all remote and they’ve been unable to do a lot of the in person stuff. between that and the huge medical worker turnover I wonder how severe the long term impact on the field is going to be

wait they just did clinicals remotely???

that’s like saying the shop class learned how to swap a car engine via zoom

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
PLANDEMIC

Serf
May 5, 2011

professors on 3 campuses at my university are protesting today, and on the news right as they were about to say when the protest is they abruptly cut to commercial lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hi thread hadn’t checked in a while and got caught up. Good to know everything is still hosed

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any good variants drop lately?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1437189302706974726

protect the vaccinated

cold civil war y'all

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Covid Eternal

Crack and Ping until it is done.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/667375199780806657

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

tbf not protecting the vaccinated is a great way to get vaccine resistant variants

we could, of course, think about our actions and how capitalist consumption is a direct health risk now. since that won't happen, gotta have our vaccine enclaves instead

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

we recently reinstituted a mask mandate and i've seen multiple people have meltdowns in stores this week. i live in a 90% blue area and haven't seen that before.

also had a conversation with someone going down the "the boosters are population control" train that got quickly reversed when i pointed out they get flu vaccines every year and just like the flu, covid is also changing. of course the vaccines are gonna have to change over time.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Day 11. start work today. back to normal thanks to a speedy recovery due to being vaccinated.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Piggy Smalls posted:

Day 11. start work today. back to normal thanks to a speedy recovery due to being vaccinated.

I’m on day six and still have a fever and feel like poo poo.

If I wasn’t vaccinated I’d be hosed.

glad you are feeling better!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was listening to a Let's Play of Delta Green this afternoon.

The players were investigating a series of mysterious deaths right after a picnic celebrating a new archaeological dig site being launched in rural Tennessee. Their cover story was a CDC task force deployed to check whether the deaths could possibly be related to a foodborne illness served at the picnic.

The game was run in January of this year, and you could tell because an argument broke out between the players over whether they should wear surgical masks, N95s, respirators, or full HAZMAT suits. They decided to go with the full HAZMAT as they rolled-up to the small town morgue to do an autopsy on the deceased picnic-goers. Also, about a quarter into the game the GM gives up on trying to imagine the adventure as happening pre-COVID and just tells everyone "okay this is happening current-day instead".

The players tell the guy manning the desk at the morgue that he needs to go home and self-quarantine, and then they set about calling everyone else who worked at the morgue after the bodies were delivered there to similarly stay home, and they arrange for groceries to be delivered regularly at all these peoples's residences.

At which point I had to laugh into the sky because a bunch of dudes playing a roleplaying game over Zoom had a better concept of contact-tracing, isolation procedures, and PPE than the loving Federal government.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

poll plane variant posted:

He's absolutely gone after midterms

known high turnout midterm voters - college students.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Milosh posted:

I’m on day six and still have a fever and feel like poo poo.

If I wasn’t vaccinated I’d be hosed.

glad you are feeling better!

thank you my friend. thank God you were vaccinated! you will recover from this I’m absolutely sure!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

known high turnout midterm voters - college students.

College football stadiums are full of the fickle suburban/exurban whites, they're not just students.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I don’t feel protected

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The players tell the guy manning the desk at the morgue that he needs to go home and self-quarantine, and then they set about calling everyone else who worked at the morgue after the bodies were delivered there to similarly stay home, and they arrange for groceries to be delivered regularly at all these peoples's residences.

At which point I had to laugh into the sky because a bunch of dudes playing a roleplaying game over Zoom had a better concept of contact-tracing, isolation procedures, and PPE than the loving Federal government.
This was literally why the supreme court overturned the eviction moratorium (they called out the idea of providing groceries in the "parade of horribles" they cited):

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

Thank you for wearing a mask Mr president

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

i am harry posted:

wait they just did clinicals remotely???

that’s like saying the shop class learned how to swap a car engine via zoom

at Pitt med they only stopped clinicals for a month or two at the beginning of the pandemic, the protocol is just that med students aren’t allowed to treat anyone who has covid

maybe the proliferation of masking is having developmental and psychological effects on the young med student brain, similar to what we’re seeing in children

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

poll plane variant posted:

College football stadiums are full of the fickle suburban/exurban whites, they're not just students.

yes, but we already know how they're voting. there is nothing informative about a bunch of drunk white southerners being upset the president isn't working to return them to their antebellum dreams.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Phone posting crack pinged again thank you all

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Iverron posted:

can’t shake the feeling this poo poo turns violent soon

violent-er

I'm honestly surprised no one has shot up a hospital or a school board meeting yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

one nice side effect of restaurants becoming no go zones is that i've learned how to make the food i make at home closer to restaurant quality level

the secret is tons of butter!

mod sassinator posted:

when in doubt, double the amount of butter and cream in a recipe. do not use any 'low fat' ingredient--full fat cream, butter, milk, etc. only. be generous with salt and pepper. add a little bit of garlic powder with seasoning too.

edit: for stir fry it's harder because your kitchen probably doesn't have a rocket hot wok that can get nice charred flavors without filling your place with smoke. but make sure to add some umami to your stir fry, like some fish sauce / mushroom powder / etc.

this is from a zillion pages ago but I started putting butter on anything I'm frying and incorporating ajinomoto into my seasoning for about two weeks now and it does work

not sure it helps with trying to slim down if I'm making my food that much richer but whatever!!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

Like I'm losing my goddamn mind. My heavily vaxxed city's school district is in shambles because they're trying to just power through and you can't power through a disease that's wildly infectious and has a good chance of knocking you on your rear end for a week even with a relatively mild case. America is so hilariously unequipped for dealing with any illness where coming into work/school sick will literally destroy everything.

Aren't you in the northeast? Is it the bus drivers , the teachers, or who that's getting wrecked? Our dashboard two weeks in shows a lot fewer cases for staff/students/teachers than in the spring which makes me think people just aren't getting tested and working through it , but the school district is functioning fine.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

violent-er

I'm honestly surprised no one has shot up a hospital or a school board meeting yet.

On the whole, the chuds and deniers are cowards who like role playing conspiracy theory but won’t do anything in real life. Think about Jan 6th. It took some specific instigators to make it really happen and when they got inside, most of them just went on a loving tour.

Weather Chopper 9
Apr 9, 2007
Your eye in the sky
Don't think I saw this paper anywhere in this thread (at least, not stuck on a fridge) but might provide a counterpoint to the suspicion that Covid is cancer AIDS and we all slowly succumb to its icy clutch, forever:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0257016

quote:

Many patients with a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection have antibodies specific for ACE2. Patients with ACE2 antibodies have lower activity of soluble ACE2 in plasma. Plasma from these patients also inhibits exogenous ACE2 activity. These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that ACE2 antibodies develop after SARS-CoV-2 infection and decrease ACE2 activity. This could lead to an increase in the abundance of Ang II, which causes a proinflammatory state that triggers symptoms of PASC.

quote:

Thus, the presence of higher levels of ACE2 protein decreases the effects mediated by activation of the AT1 receptor including immune activation (i.e., increased ACE2 activity results in decreased inflammation). Binding of SARS-CoV-2 to ACE2 results in decreased activity of the enzyme. The net result is increased inflammation during SARS-CoV-2 infection.

I am led to believe that essentially, long covid is suggested to be a result (possibly, one cause, maybe) of the body's inability to regulate inflammation - I dare not plant a flag on this because I am a Dumb rear end and there are plenty of smarter people in this thread.

quote:

Three unresolved issues regarding the response to SARS-CoV-2 can potentially be explained using Jerne’s Network Theory of the Immune System. First, as we have discussed, the formation of anti-idiotypic antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein could result in anti-ACE2 antibodies, as part of the normal homeostasis of immune system function. Second, there are anecdotal data suggesting that patients experiencing PASC, who become vaccinated with a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine may have improvement. This is also aligned with Jerne’s Network Theory, as the vaccine may induce the immune system to balance the idiotypic and anti-idiotypic antibodies for homeostatic control. Third, from early in the COVID-19 disease process there are reports that anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies last for only a few months. This again is consistent with Jerne’s Theory, in that immunologic control mechanisms should typically limit production of an autoimmune antibody, which could result in disease. Thus, the idiotype/ anti-idiotype interactions, with the anti-idiotype having autoimmune potential, could result in down-regulation of the idiotypic antibody (homeostatic balancing). Since the half-life of IgG is 21–28 days, significant loss of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody responses over 6–9 months is plausible.

Of course, as with all papers, there's more to do and less to specifically make claims about :

quote:

While we do not have data about the association of ACE2 antibodies and PASC in this cohort, we hypothesize that antibodies could initiate a cascade of effects that lead to the symptoms of PASC. If these antibodies are responsible for symptoms of PASC, several treatments are possible. Angiotensin receptor blockers are safe and widely used.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is from a zillion pages ago but I started putting butter on anything I'm frying and incorporating ajinomoto into my seasoning for about two weeks now and it does work

not sure it helps with trying to slim down if I'm making my food that much richer but whatever!!!!

Consider keto, friend

Went back on it after 9 months of trying to wrestle my low metabolism with my doctor and lost more weight in the first week than the past 9 months of tinkering with thyroid medicine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1437402962406436869?s=20