Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sanda Ch 3

Santa mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

This manga is so loving weird.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Three things.
1) Someone's about to get put on the Naughty list
2) It's refreshing for someone to be in an inverse 1000yo loli situation and rightfully turned off
3) What the gently caress kind of dystopia is Paru hiding from us?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A weirdly optimistic post-climate 2080s where people agree to take care of kids instead of descending into wasteland tribes?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope her dad sees her manga starring a ripped musclely old man and sheds a tear for following in his footsteps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gonna reveal his ability to create coal

Elfface posted:

A weirdly optimistic post-climate 2080s where people agree to take care of kids instead of descending into wasteland tribes?

It turns out that this is the post-Baki world, where Yuujiro finally went all out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think my problem with the culling game is that this is like, the first chapter it's really felt relevant since it was introduced. I don't even remember all the rules or whatever, I'm glad the latest chapter reminded me of them. I'm also not super clear on why it's even happening? I'm sure it was explained I've just forgotten besides "bad guy did it" - I guess to get rid of non-curse users? Except he punishes curse users by removing their curse techniques? I guess so then they'll be killed too? But participation isn't forced for curse users, unless they took a cursed tool from bad guy or whatever? It's kind of arbitrary and convoluted and there really hasn't been much focus on it. I could see it working if the plot was very heavily revolving around it, in a way that something like Alice in Borderland does it, but we still have all this other story stuff that needs focusing on so we haven't really had time to devote to it yet. This chapter feels like the first "real" chapter of the culling game imo.

Well yes this is the first time it's relevant cause the main cast has just been getting ready for it and only one of them is a member.

Will explain exactly what the deal is in a moment.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well yes this is the first time it's relevant cause the main cast has just been getting ready for it and only one of them is a member.

Will explain exactly what the deal is in a moment.

I look forward to your post cus I haven't really been enjoying it much. And I get that they've been preparing, but they've been preparing for 15 chapters now. It's been six months irl, and even ignoring that it's still been almost two full volume's worth of chapters since the game was introduced until now, when we're finally starting it. I get they needed to prepare, but it feels like there maybe should have had some initial interaction with the game to establish it more concretely, and then maybe do some prep work (maybe the start of the game was sprung on them and they didn't have time to prepare before having to interact with it some, for example), or flash back to the prep-work that was done after a few chapters showing the result of the preparation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the shibuya incident was like half the total chapters of the manga, a little downtime while they set up the arc is fine imo

think the reason people have had trouble remembering things is more due to the big break the author took for health reasons than anything in the manga itself

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think my problem with the culling game is that this is like, the first chapter it's really felt relevant since it was introduced. I don't even remember all the rules or whatever, I'm glad the latest chapter reminded me of them. I'm also not super clear on why it's even happening? I'm sure it was explained I've just forgotten besides "bad guy did it" - I guess to get rid of non-curse users? Except he punishes curse users by removing their curse techniques? I guess so then they'll be killed too? But participation isn't forced for curse users, unless they took a cursed tool from bad guy or whatever? It's kind of arbitrary and convoluted and there really hasn't been much focus on it. I could see it working if the plot was very heavily revolving around it, in a way that something like Alice in Borderland does it, but we still have all this other story stuff that needs focusing on so we haven't really had time to devote to it yet. This chapter feels like the first "real" chapter of the culling game imo.

So Kenjaku's exact setup and plans for the game have been explained. To help explain things Kenjaku has been setting this up for over a thousand years, throughout those years he made binding vows with about 500 sorcerers to create an equal number of Cursed objects from their remains and then seal them. In preparation for the Culling Game starting he fed those Cursed Objects to people, though nothing happened to them because the objects were sealed. Also in prep for the Culling Game he marked 500 people that possessed Curse Technqiues, but lacked the Curse Energy and knowledge to use them (Megumi's sister was one of these people and fell into a coma from a side effect of it). Once he sealed Gojo removing the largest threat to his plans, and captured Mahito and his Curse Technique he was ready to start his plan. Using a ritual to remotely activate Mahito's Idle transfiguration on the thousand people had had marked as players for the Culling game. This reworked the brains of the non sorcerers with Curse Techniques to allow them to use their Technqiues and Cursed Energy. And unsealed the Cursed Objects he had implanted in people causing 500 ancient Sorcerers to incarnate in the modern age.
The purpose of the Culling Game is that it's a complicated ritual that will allow Kenjaku to merge humanity with Master Tengen once he successful captures him with Curse Spirit Manipulation. Kenjaku also desires to learn from it's Chaos. In order for the ritual to work, Kenjaku needs the Culling Game to last about 2 months.

On the rules of the Culling game itself. There are 8 initial ones.
1. Any players need to enter one of 10 Barrier Colonies to show they are taking part in the game and must do so within 19 days. (For the initial players should be 8 or 9 days left to this deadline currently)
2. Any player that does not do the above will have their Curse Technique removed, which will also kill them. (This should mean that normal people are safe as are Sorcerers with no Curse Technique)
3. Non-players who enter the barrier become players at the moment of entry and are considered to have declared participation in the culling game. (This means that anyone who was already inside the barrier when it was put up, can leave it once)
4. A player gets points by killing another player.
5. The game master (Kogane) decides how many points someone gets for killing someone. Generally it will be 1 point for killing a non sorcerer and 5 points for a sorcerer.
6. Excluding their own point value, a player can spend 100 points to request the game master add a new rule to the Culling game.
7. The game master has to accept any new rule, unless it would change how the Culling game works too much.
8. If a players score remains the same for 19 days they will be subject to Curse Technique Removal, which will kill them.
As of the most recent chapter one new rule has been added to the Culling Game.
9. Players will have access to info on other players that can be freely viewed. Namely their name, points, number of added rules, and what Colony they are currently in.

Megumi desires to force players with 100 points to add two extra rules to the Culling game. A rule that allows points to be traded between players (Kogane has already said this rule is fine) and a rule that allows a player to leave the game, though they will likely need to negotiate with Kogane to find a way to make it acceptable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

I enjoy reading Witch Watch.

Same, it’s probably the highlight of my Sunday along with Sakamoto Days. That’s partly cause I read the illegal scans for OP earlier but still!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Sanda is absolutely wild and I'm really curious where it's going to go after the initial premise setup.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Kenjaku's exact setup and plans for the game have been explained.

The thing I don’t understand is how the Culling game helps Kenjaku’s goal. Does it generate cursed energy for him or something?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

The thing I don’t understand is how the Culling game helps Kenjaku’s goal. Does it generate cursed energy for him or something?

It fuels a ritual that will let him fuse Tengen with the people of japan. By fueling a barrier that will slowly cover all of Japan, and prepare everyone for the merger. (Minus Hokkaido)

Here is someone explaining it all

quote:

For those that are confused about the dangers of the culling game, the colonies, barriers, boundary, and "the other side" jargon, I will try to explain it in simple terms.

1.There are 10 colonies that will serve as the battleground for the ritual to merge humanity with Tengen.

2. Those 10 colonies themselves are large scale barriers erected by Kenjaku.

3. The cursed energy emitted within each individual colony whilst battling/killing each other is what allows the ritual to move towards completion. Deepening the understanding of cursed energy of the 1000 total new sorcerers and collecting it.

4. The 10 Colonies themselves are connected to one another in a straight-ish line. The line where these Colonies connect to one another form a boundary of an even larger barrier erected by Kenjaku.

5. That extremely large barrier starts at the most western point of Japan and ends at the boundary line created by the connecting colonies.

6. As the battling within the colonies happens, the cursed energy that is outputted will slowly cause that extremely large barrier at the most western point on Japan to start moving eastward until it has covered the entirety of Japan.

7. The boundary line of the extremely large barrier that connects all of the colonies serves as the gateway to "The other side."

8. As we have seen in JJK already from chapter 56, the act of crossing a boundary or barrier has significant meaning in Jujutsu. In the case of the Culling game that significance is the evolution of humanity.

9. As the ritual moves towards completion and the extremely large barrier moves eastward, all the people that the barrier passes are prepped to be merged with Tengen.

10. When the extremely large barrier reaches the boundary line that connects all the colonies together, all people who the barrier has passed will convey them to the "other side" and will continue to move eastward until all of Japan has be enveloped by the extremely large barrier its cursed energy collected from within the 10 colonies.

11. As stated in this chapter by Tengen himself, a curse has fallen on every human in Japan within the extremely large barrier that preps the humans to be merged with Tengen at the completion of the culling game.

12. "The other side" is Nirvana. A state of being without a sense of self or desire a higher form of being. JJK takes a lot from Buddhism. Tengen himself explains that he only maintains his form because he is incredibly gifted at barrier techniques himself and the barrier around himself at the star tomb allows him to hold a physical form.

13. Tengen is existing as one with the world itself. His soul, the essence of who he is exists everywhere. If the merger with Tengen happens and all the humans of Japan "evolve", each individual soul or essence would exist everywhere as a part of the world itself.

14. That is why Tengen says those that would merge with him would exist and not exist at the same time. Their soul or essence would exist as a part of the world itself, but without a physical form that separates others from themselves.

15. That is incredibly dangerous because in the evolved state there is no individuality. The physical forms that separate humans from each other would be gone and everyone would exist as a part of the same whole, in this case being the world itself. Instead of being 100 million different people with their own individual thought processes and feelings that affect only themselves, they would become a part the world itself created from the collective 100 million souls of those evolved, without individuality.

16. If even 1 human is inherently evil, harboring ill will, regret, or negative emotion or feeling towards the world, that negativity will be cast into the world itself by all 100 million people of Japan that evolved because their is no boundary or physical form between all 100 million evolved souls. They dont have a physical form or a boundary for the individuality, they exist as a collective part of the world itself.

17. If that comes to pass, 100 million "Evolved" souls would be creating curses from the exact same negativity because all 100 million evolved souls have no individuality from one another. They are 100 million different souls with their own feelings and thoughts that make them their own individual soul but they all share and are bound to the same form, the world itself.

18. Take Jogo for example, he was created by the collected fear and negative thoughts people harbor towards the earth. He was immeasurably strong, only defeated by Gojo and 15 finger Sukuna. Now how powerful would the curses be that would created from the 100 million "Evolved" souls/beings that would all share the same collected negativity due to the lack of a physical form that separates each evolved soul from another. It would be the end of the world.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 14, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is someone explaining it all

So, basically the Human Instrumentality Project.

(I'd say "But with less trying to hook up with Yui Ikari", but we can't rule that out entirely.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

He's from a one-shot the author did titled Garaku

Thank you for linking this for me. I read it. It was a pretty fun story and now I'm more hyped about this old guy as well.

Also wow, the Mangaka improved his art like 100 times. :eyepop:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

Ranking's pretty bad this week, but Jump has two slots open, so it's got until the next round of serialization to shape up. It's trending on twitter in a positive way, and if the common belief that chapter rankings reflect surveys from two months ago then it's being ranked on its worst chapters so there's room for recovery.

That said, yeah. Current ranking is worrisome, and Jump is pretty competitive right now.
Not looking good for the two newbies. This week has Red Hood and Neru at the bottom respectively.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Missed an update for Ragna Crimson and it's always a good day when Crimson gets owned.

But more importantly Starlia isn't actually dead...for now. Maybe.

Battle in 5 seconds has also been receiving steady updates and I like how this arc is going to pose the question "What if you could literally die from a broken heart?"

But anything to get these two to finally sort their feelings for each other right?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I've never read Tokyo Ghoul but I have been enjoying Choujin X immensely; this new chapter is giving me some Jujitsu Kaisen/Chainsawman vibes with the main mc's inner monologue

also I'm excited to see how these new two antagonists are going to fight. That little paper dog army is adorable :3:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Desperate Character posted:

I've never read Tokyo Ghoul but I have been enjoying Choujin X immensely; this new chapter is giving me some Jujitsu Kaisen/Chainsawman vibes with the main mc's inner monologue

also I'm excited to see how these new two antagonists are going to fight. That little paper dog army is adorable :3:

After a few really bad first chapters this is really starting to pick up for me. This chapter had a good amount of pacing, internal reflection and foreshadowing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This week I got into Bungo Stray Dogs.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
Shonen Jump is out early this week, so chapters are available now.

also a note that the first chapter of PPPPPP is out, I think it's worth a shot.
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1438880925266317312?s=21

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
First chapter of PPPPPP was interesting, art is fuckin weird but I'm looking forward to more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this latest chapter of red hood is kinda losing me again

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Witch Watch ftw.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm down for more slime molds from slime mold man in Red Hood.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/ComradeToguro/status/1438337030778392579

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that tweet is way less funny when you realize that it isnt something that the guy was calling his own sword but something the cops made up to mock and publicly humiliate someone they were stealing from

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

This week I got into Bungo Stray Dogs.

Oh boy, someone else to be confused at the recent chapters with.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm down for more slime molds from slime mold man in Red Hood.
Of course the OCD guy is also into mold. I like it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I found this week's Red Hood a real charmer, especially with the art when mold man cocooned Mr Capitalism. Very interested in seeing were mold man goes in the future.

Also we're getting a FRIENDSHIP STORY ARC in magu! Oh no! Will our friends break up??

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zabimaru jobs even without Renji.

Mash: was solid again.

Witch watch ftw!

Undead unluck makes a good call. I was kinda looking forward to some fighting and focus on the other guys. Instead we just shoot naked Zombie up. I hate zombie so much. But I do appreciate how the Mangaka expedites the attack like this.

Sakamoto: looking good!

Elusive Samurai was sweet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Maah coming in hard out the gate with the major disrespect.

And im majorly surprised that Neru is getting less 90s manga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle trying to build up this guy as a major threat only for Mash and crew to destroy it in two panels is pretty funny.

Roboco is pretty great this week too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brought To You By posted:

Oh boy, someone else to be confused at the recent chapters with.

Seems to me like it's the usual billion-plan pile-ups I expect from the series, unless I'm behind somehow.

I just realized the MCs have been on the losing foot for like 50+ chapters now, it's pretty impressive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I've been trying to figure out what to say about PPPPPP since I read it, beyond "It was bad, and I spent the entire time reading it thinking about how much I was looking forward to reading Roboco instead", so I might not have this quite as nailed down as I'd like. Still, going to try.

I know that how I feel about the first chapter of a Shonen Jump title isn't a guarantee of anything. Sure, Blue Box and Chainsaw Man open like champs, but I hated the first chapter of Elusive Samurai, didn't like Roboco at the start, and thought Time Paradox Ghostwriter looked really promising. (Hell, I thought the opening chapter of i Tell C, while flawed, at least showed glimmers of potential, and we all know how that turned out.) There's a lot of room for a story to improve or crash and burn past the start, and audience response is weird. That said, I have a hard time imagining a way this can work, and a harder time seeing it sort itself out before the U-19.

I'll start with the art, because it's obvious and it's easy to finish off. It's bad. Moving on.

Okay, I can do a little more. It's distinct, but not in a good way. The proportions shift from panel to panel, the anatomy feels off, the characters go for absurd hair to compensate for a poor ability to make faces that read well on their own, the panel composition doesn't make for a solid flow, and it doesn't feel up to Jump's usual standards in general. But that's not the whole thing. Great manga sometimes have mediocre to bad art, after all. (Even if ONE's panel flow is amazing, Mob Psycho 100 starts out incredibly ugly)

The problem is the writing. The pacing is clunky, the premise has a ton of weird details that complicate the storytelling and add a ton of exposition without any immediate payoff, and one thing that really stuck out for me?

The protagonist sucks.

Sure, he's got a rough life. That helps get the reader in the protagonist's corner. (It worked for Denji, it worked for Deku, and it can work for you.) But it's not enough on its own. He's not funny, although it tries to have him constantly joking, he doesn't do anything to show he's an unusually heroic or self-sacrificing person, since he's obligated to be the abused kid, and, this is something that sticks out more due to the subgenre, but he's not working his rear end off in the field.

If you have a mediocrity wanting to be great, that can be compelling, but you need that hard work and guts, or else the whole setup breaks down. You can't know if someone's talented unless they've put in the same hours. Salieri's hatred of Mozart works narratively because Mozart upstages his long struggle. If you have a kid plonking on the keyboard who sucks, then maybe he could stop sucking some day. If there's something with no practice, then it's talent, even if it's unrefined.

And then we get that shown here. The protagonist is defended by the teacher as a mediocrity, but he only gets in because he has some supernatural music talent that projects psychic visions. It's talent that gets him his first triumph, not effort. And that kind of breaks the whole piece. There's no real competition between philosophies for our hero and his uncharacterized siblings. It's just the dad being a piece of poo poo who makes Enji Todoroki and Gendo Ikari look like father of the year finalists.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this'll turn out to be great. But from where I am, all I see is the reaper and the beckoning hand of Jump flops past on the other side.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Speaking of Roboco, as per usual it got a few good laughs out of me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll start with the art, because it's obvious and it's easy to finish off. It's bad. Moving on.

Okay, I can do a little more. It's distinct, but not in a good way. The proportions shift from panel to panel, the anatomy feels off, the characters go for absurd hair to compensate for a poor ability to make faces that read well on their own, the panel composition doesn't make for a solid flow, and it doesn't feel up to Jump's usual standards in general. But that's not the whole thing. Great manga sometimes have mediocre to bad art, after all. (Even if ONE's panel flow is amazing, Mob Psycho 100 starts out incredibly ugly).

I literally made it 2 pages before I closed it out when I saw the main character and some other characters.

It’s not bad. It’s ugly. Kudos for trying something different but it did. not. work.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
The base premise of PPPPPP doesn't make sense to me. If he's 'mediocre' then shouldn't teachers be happy to take him in? Like they in-universe say 'mediocre', not like actually BAD. Which implies there's some room to work with. You'd think a music teacher would enjoy the opportunity to try to mold someone up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's kinda funny how such a mediocre comic spends pages telling the reader that "mediocre is good actually"

Also got a laugh out of protag blatantly saying to no one "I'm like Cinderella huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm a sucker for protagonists that desperately want to succeed at something they're actually very bad at, so I like that aspect and will keep reading to see if it gets fleshed out. Overall though, yeah all those are very good points I agree with. We'll have to see how it goes from here but it was definitely a strange first chapter.

This week's Neru kind of put me off a bit. Despite several chapters of DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ME JUST CUS I'M A Girl we get a chapter where she can't accomplish the thing she specifically specializes in, but Male Protagonist can because he's stronger than her (kind of implied because he's a man but maybe I read too much into that). He also has perfect form at her thing - I know his gimmick / talent is being able to mimic others extremely well, but still. Then of course because he's so cool and he showed her an ounce of kindness it's heavily implied she has a crush on him. And of course that's ignoring the kind of creepy brother who definitely doesn't have a crush on his own sister. Just all around kind of ugh, which is a shame because I liked the puzzle of "the only way to complete my challenge is to become as good of an archer as me"

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 18, 2021