Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
some good goon comp results post break (for most places)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jerome Louis posted:

Got 2nd in my division and went 1-1 in the absolute, lost to the dude who got gold. Overall had a lot of fun but honestly the best part of this stuff is hanging out with my teammates

great work! as the others said, having fun is what it's all about.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
Good effort mate! Well done!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Great result, congrats for putting yourself out there

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Congrats on your silver. As always it's an accomplishment just to compete.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Jerome Louis posted:

Got 2nd in my division and went 1-1 in the absolute, lost to the dude who got gold. Overall had a lot of fun but honestly the best part of this stuff is hanging out with my teammates

:toot:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Well done sir!

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I vote dark, long sleeve.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Andrew Wiltse's knee slice instructional is free today on BJJfanatics. I bought his no-gi Buzzsaw passing tape and the knee slice section was the best, his trick of baiting shin on shin guard and then getting an underhook off of it was life-changing for my passing game. He gives out his personal cell phone number in the first few minutes of this free instructional in case you want to ask him any questions. What a guy!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Andrew Wiltse's knee slice instructional is free today on BJJfanatics. I bought his no-gi Buzzsaw passing tape and the knee slice section was the best, his trick of baiting shin on shin guard and then getting an underhook off of it was life-changing for my passing game. He gives out his personal cell phone number in the first few minutes of this free instructional in case you want to ask him any questions. What a guy!

Wiltse sounds like a stand up guy. Ive tried contacting another instructor on BJJ fanatics and ask questions on their instructional and never got a response.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm starting to teach a TON now. Like four days a week! Having a lot of fun. And been having regular privates 2x a week for a short while now. I'm super hyped.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

heeebrew posted:

I'm starting to teach a TON now. Like four days a week! Having a lot of fun. And been having regular privates 2x a week for a short while now. I'm super hyped.

That's sweet dude. I teach a class every second Friday and hope to increase the tempo within a few months. If anyone ever asked me for a private class I'd be so stoked.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

heeebrew posted:

That rules!

Recently I've been helping with one kids class a week and it has been a cool experience!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've been getting into the groove of teaching and can actually enjoy it it a little bit now instead of just being anxious. Now one of our coaches has to quarantine for two weeks and I could be doing a heap of extra classes, we'll see how I manage.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wiltse gives me goon vibes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone still in NYC rolling? Thinking about going up for the UFC event nov 6th and I had a ball rolling at renzos last time.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

No, jiu-jitsu is over

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I feel guilty not going into the dojo even though I probably shouldn't be. Had a couple false COVID scares and spider bites and I'm fighting a cold right now. I'd rather deal with my bad juju first rather than share it.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I miss bjj.

It turns out my acl is okay. I just tore my lcl miniscus and hamstring. I have a few more weeks of pt before I can go back to slamming heel hooks and tapping anytime anyone touches my leg

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

gay for gacha posted:

I miss bjj.

It turns out my acl is okay. I just tore my lcl miniscus and hamstring. I have a few more weeks of pt before I can go back to slamming heel hooks and tapping anytime anyone touches my leg

Nice! Knee injuries are scary. My initial thoughts are always gently caress grappling, am I even going to walk normally again. But as soon as a doctor tells me that no, I'll probably be fine, I feel a lot better about it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I did my first BJJ class tonight and my god I’ve never felt so useless in my life

butros
Aug 2, 2007

It gets worse ☹️

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I think worse than the starter uselessness was when I got good enough to recognize that I was poo poo at all the things I thought I had gotten proficient in.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah after you hit that dunning-kruger peak it's a long, painful, seemingly endless descent. And like sisyphus, just when you think you're gaining traction on the other side, some 16 year-old with 2/3 your mass and 1/4 your experience will swat you back to the bottom.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's fun though. The first three true lessons - actual useful things that represent progress when you come to understand them - are how not to waste energy, how to stay calm under pressure, and what it means to protect your chin/armpits. You'll internalize those as you learn moves and those are the actual valuable early progress points.

Enjoy the journey because there's nothing but road!

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I looked up mid roll last night and saw a newish white belt slumped against the wall, complete with 1,000 yard stare. I said something like “we’ve all been there, it gets better.” A guy getting smashed by said 16 year old beside me replied “the gently caress it does.”

God why would anyone ever NOT want to do this poo poo??

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

that constant learning is what i miss most now that i'm sitting out a second time due to the region crawling with covid zombies. i wanna go back.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you're in single leg x with ankle control and kick out the opposite leg to sweep, go belly and knees down pinching their knee with a straight ankle lock.....

Is that ibjjf legal or naw bc you gotta swing over their knee and rotate and it's a reap

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 17, 2021

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Waroduce posted:

If you're in single leg x with ankle control and kick out the opposite leg to sweep, go belly and knees down pinching their knee with a straight ankle lock.....

Is that ibjjf legal or naw bc you gotta swing over their knee and rotate and it's a reap

I believe thats legal because there is no pressure on the outside of the knee rather youre attacking the ankle (which is legal at all levels).

Someone correct me if Im wrong...

edit: I was told recently by my professor that 50/50 is legal and not considered reaping. Legs are on the outside opponents leg and no pressure on the outside of the knee. I didnt know this.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 17, 2021

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Got a couple of questions for anyone who is knowledgable about the IBJJF ruleset:

1. If you secure a triangle bodylock from the back, is there a certain amount of time you need to move or can you hold that position indefinitely during the match? My understanding is that you dont get 4 point from this position anyway. You need to get hooks and then switch to the triangle.
2. Can a belt be too worn out for competition? My purple belt is starting to show quite a bit of white and I was just curious.

I cant seem to find answers in the rulebook about these.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
You're only safe from stalling if you are in official mount/back mount/back control positions. You're not stalling if you're going for chokes though so a back triangle while attempting chokes should be okay indefinitely. No idea about the belt thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It can be in judo idk bjj

butros
Aug 2, 2007

RE: the belt I know IBJJF doesn't allow torn gis, but they don't reference belts. I have anecdotally heard of people not being allowed to compete with tattered belts, so it might be worth having a spare belt in your bag just in case.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
They won't let you compete with that belt, I was almost DQed from an ibjjf open with a tattered belt like that and my replacement belt was too small, but the head ref gave me a pass. Definitely get a competition belt that is in good condition.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks guys. I was afraid that it was going to be too tattered, and yeah its an IBJJF tournament Ill be doing in Nov.

Also thanks for the info on the back. That makes sense that as long as your attacking you can keep a position...

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Yup, I got told that my belt (which looked almost identical to yours) was too worn and had to buy a new one at the last second from the Fuji booth at Masters Worlds a couple years ago.

I was in such a panicked hurry at the time that it wasn't until I had finished my matches when I realized the guy who rang me up was Travis Stevens.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
anyone watching WNO finals? been lots of good matches this weekend!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
except for the chuds chanting gently caress joe biden mid match

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Vashro posted:

anyone watching WNO finals? been lots of good matches this weekend!

Really enjoyed watching the womens matches.

Gabi Garcias thighs: no joke, just one might be the entire size of both my legs put together and I weigh over 200 lbs. Along with the women Im confused why she didnt have to weigh in.

Also Grace Gundrum is a straight up killer. That twister....sub of the tournament IMO.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

WNO was awesome. Grace's twister was the highlight!