Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

teagone posted:

For the sake of spitballing because this is silly, the AI probably gets a notification ping when an impregnation is successful in the matrix and the farmer bots get an order to begin growing that specific baby using DNA from the two individuals who caused the ping. Then they boot up the baby's battery tube when it's "born" 9 months later inside the simulation.

I mean, the machines can alter the probabilities of pregnancy such that it only happens when someone in the farm dies. No need to keep track of anyone, just set a boolean to true when it's required so that the next time someone has sex it'll start the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest wrench in the gears of the whole "humans aren't born, they're grown" aspect, bigger IMO than "people are batteries." Seems like a lot of work to keep track of who's loving who.

In the sequels, they repeatedly reboot the matrix with just 23 people.

Earth population in 1999 was, of course, much higher.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

teagone posted:

when an impregnation is successful in the matrix

Sure, but this is dangerously treading on 'life begins at _____' territory. How does a computer simulation decide when impregnation is successful? Randomly? Does it assign virility modifiers to everyone plugged into it? This also means that one of those tubes is for harvesting your gametes, OR that the machines jerk you off when they need to.

This is a gross conversation, I'm sorry.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 15, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest wrench in the gears of the whole "humans aren't born, they're grown" aspect, bigger IMO than "people are batteries." Seems like a lot of work to keep track of who's loving who.

It's millions / billions of instances of the same fairly straightforward piece of work, which is what computers are especially good at

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The basic thing to keep in mind is that, being a movie about a conspiracy theory, the matrix concept does utterly collapse when investigated. The only proper conclusion is that the characters are nuts.

If we actually take their claims seriously, then the world they describe has absolutely nothing in common with the actually-existing 1999. That’s why, in the sequels, the simulation is revealed to have been a janky fantasy MMORPG all along.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure, but this is dangerously treading on 'life begins at _____' territory. How does a computer simulation decide when impregnation is successful? Randomly? Does it assign virility modifiers to everyone plugged into it? This also means that one of those tubes is for harvesting your gametes, OR that the machines jerk you off when they need to.

What’s really going to keep you up at night is wondering how the Matrix handles abortion.

:regd08:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They just feed the dead human’s liquid remains to the living. Nbd

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure, but this is dangerously treading on 'life begins at _____' territory. How does a computer simulation decide when impregnation is successful? Randomly? Does it assign virility modifiers to everyone plugged into it?

This conversation is weirdly funny, but yeah, I'd guess impregnation is a true/false component baked into the matrix's codebase.

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, the machines can alter the probabilities of pregnancy such that it only happens when someone in the farm dies. No need to keep track of anyone, just set a boolean to true when it's required so that the next time someone has sex it'll start the process.

Also this too.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

just another posted:

I read through the MMO lore. Is the entire Matrix that one megacity (+ adjacent mountain range)?

This reminds me of Dark City, the protagonist slowly pieces everything together and attempts to get out of the city since he has false memories of a childhood day at the beach he's desperate to prove are real, but there's no way to actually get out of the city for various reasons and then he notices that it's always night as well. Good movie.

Mister Speaker posted:

The Matrix Thread: The machines jerk you off when they need to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic thing to keep in mind is that, being a movie about a conspiracy theory, the matrix concept does utterly collapse when investigated. The only proper conclusion is that the characters are nuts.

If we actually take their claims seriously, then the world they describe has absolutely nothing in common with the actually-existing 1999. That’s why, in the sequels, the simulation is revealed to have been a janky fantasy MMORPG all along.

I bet there are a lot of really tedious xSephirothhGoku420xs in Zion

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Pregnancy is simulated. Morpheus thinks baby crops are harvested in his intro to Neo. You go home with infant #i2x6 whose mind was just plugged in and broadcast from Farm Pillar A.

Matter is all fake in the Matrix, so this isn’t really a problem. Who knows what else those tubes and ports deliver/siphon.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

What a weirdly specific comparison that makes zero sense given how well respected and highly regarded Morpheus is throughout Zion as both a leader and prophet.

Uhh did you watch the sequels? He doesn’t have authority and they all think he’s crazy

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

stev posted:

Right but like, does the simulation know who has virtually gotten together with who? Is some poor AI keeping track of every couple and every one night stand and making sure to simulate pregnancy and grow a human from their DNA at the appropriate time?

This poo poo kept me up at night in the 2000s.

I think there’s an algorithm that assigns a new grown baby to two people that mated in the matrix

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

That’s why, in the sequels, the simulation is revealed to have been a janky fantasy MMORPG all along.
Always was

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Morpheus is the captain of a ship, not a grunt. He speaks to council members directly.

And most importantly, he is the keynote speaker before the annual zion orgy. Everyone was enraptured by his motivational speech.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

checkplease posted:

Morpheus is the captain of a ship, not a grunt. He speaks to council members directly.

And most importantly, he is the keynote speaker before the annual zion orgy. Everyone was enraptured by his motivational speech.

The first movie makes it seem like he’s the leader of the human resistance especially the way his crew talks about him. In the sequel none of the council believes his nonsense about “the one” and most of the poo poo he said in the first film. He has no authority with the council or Zion leadership.at best he’ like an Andrew yang,

In the sequels, they repeatedly reboot the matrix with just 23 people.

Earth population in 1999 was, of course, much higher.

Bots my dude

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSZSV9svSgE

Freakazoid_ posted:

That kind of helps me with my pet theory that everyone who escaped the matrix was actually still inside the matrix. It explains why Neo has extra powers outside of the matrix and why you can leave behind 23 individuals and have enough genetic diversity to keep the species alive.
To be fair the genetic diversity of individuals doesn't mean much when they have future gene editing technology, and possibly access to hundreds of thousands of samples of frozen sperm and embryos.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
One more sensible explanation for the matrix is that everyone inside is a bot, and those who ‘wake up’ are actually being uploaded into custom-built physical bodies.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

The first movie makes it seem like he’s the leader of the human resistance especially the way his crew talks about him. In the sequel none of the council believes his nonsense about “the one” and most of the poo poo he said in the first film. He has no authority with the council or Zion leadership.at best he’ like an Andrew yang,

that’s just not right. i just rewatched them the other night, the whole major subplot of Revolutions in Zion pre-battle revolves around the division between the General and Morpheus, in particular that the General thinks the prophecy is bullshit but the Council members to varying degrees do take Morpheus seriously and continue empowering him, including continuing to give him resources which the General feels would be better used in Zion’s defense. they absolutely don’t think it’s bullshit. they stake their lives on it, in fact.

it’s pretty clear that in the power structure Morpheus commands equal political status/respect of their government as the head of their whole military

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Smith did demonstrate that programs can be uploaded into humans... interesting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

Comparing Morpheus to Andrew Yang is kinda yikes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
up in the loft looking for my old phone

woah

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

up in the loft looking for my old phone

woah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05gxIWYv8k

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Morpheus is like the matrix pope. Or a matrix cardinal. In zion he is the one preaching the religion of neo and many are listening to it. So while not on the council, he has a lot of influence.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
i think the matrix is basically the internet for the machines

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

checkplease posted:

Morpheus is like the matrix pope. Or a matrix cardinal. In zion he is the one preaching the religion of neo and many are listening to it. So while not on the council, he has a lot of influence.

Morpheus is Zions Bernie sanders. He has followers and plays a role in government but has little real power. Then again he uses the red pill analogy so maybe he is more like Zions Donald Trump.

Either way he’s no Sheev Palpatine that’s for sure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

Morpheus is Zions Bernie sanders. He has followers and plays a role in government but has little real power. Then again he uses the red pill analogy so maybe he is more like Zions Donald Trump.

Either way he’s no Sheev Palpatine that’s for sure

You've compared Morpheus to a low level army grunt, a McDonald's cashier, Andrew Yang, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump. Lmao. What the hell.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Morpheus is everyone that libs fear simultaneously. The Matrix will Build Back Better and you need to stop undermining the system. If you think about it, the Zion rebels are EXACTLY like the Jan 6th rioters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

Morpheus is everyone that libs fear simultaneously. The Matrix will Build Back Better and you need to stop undermining the system. If you think about it, the Zion rebels are EXACTLY like the Jan 6th rioters.

Weird thoughts

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The machines are the ones who stormed Zion though....?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The machines really wasted their time as the ultra efficient lords of the earth. What is it 6 or 7 iterations of the matrix by the time our Neo comes around? That's probably several generations per Zion, so like hundreds and hundreds of years in the future.

They could've gone into space tbh. Instead they were still just farming our weak asses and living under the fart cloud we left behind.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How do we know they didn't go into space?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 15, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

teagone posted:

The machines are the ones who stormed Zion though....?

it was a joke on the person comparing Morpheus to every lib boogeyman and pushing the idea forward into viewing a poo poo system like the Matrix into neoliberal America therefore anyone who opposes it is bad

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The United States posted:

Smith did demonstrate that programs can be uploaded into humans... interesting

I mean Neo did have a bunch of martial arts programs loaded into his brain.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Field Mousepad posted:

I mean Neo did have a bunch of martial arts programs loaded into his brain.
Probably a matter of terminology, but those were more like data, I mean programs as in conscious sapient entities like Smith, The Oracle, The Keymaker, The Merovingian, The Architect, etc.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What’s a good place where I can share my Boba Fett/Matrix crossover fanfic I wrote in high school?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Noob Saibot posted:

What’s a good place where I can share my Boba Fett/Matrix crossover fanfic I wrote in high school?
"You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the sarlacc pit goes."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Noob Saibot posted:

:justpost:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Morpheus is just a dumbass libertarian who stands for a generic freedom divorced from any sort of socio-economic justice. That’s why his “blow up the government” rhetoric is so curiously inoffensive.

There is obvious class struggle inside the matrix, but Morpheus isn’t remotely interested in that. It simply never comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
He will end all class struggle in the matrix by freeing everyone from it.

And then welcome to them hierarchy of zion.