Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mean they only came out with a 1x5 plate earlier this year, theres so many permutations and varieties that I don't think new bricks get minted if theres something that basically does the same job like a 1×2 next to a 1×3 or that technic 1×5 with the hole in the middle.

I bought some random parts off ebay recently, and I though I was getting a bad deal paying like £15 for a small bag of parts it turns out the 2 quarter dome windows i got with it go for like £20 each on bricklink! Lego pricing is all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

You mean specifically Muppets Lego stuff, or Muppets in general? Because there is a Muppets Halloween special coming. Of course there's also a Lego Star Wars Halloween so maybe they just needed more Halloween content. This makes me think I need a David S. Pumpkins minifig.
More Muppet stuff in general. Didn't know about the Halloween special. Definitely gonna check it out.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think this should pose the question of whether or not this set needed to exist. I definitely like Lego having more LGBT representation, and Queer Eye is a popular LGBT series so it makes sense, but it doesn't seem like a particularly good fit for Lego imo. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be, maybe a Drag Race set with a wide variety of outfits and some encouragement to make your own? Though with minifigs that may be too limiting.

Joke answer: Billy in the Street set

real answer: danny the street set

also, like, a gay ninjago character

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Lego Titanic piece count revised down to ~9k.

Cowards

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think this should pose the question of whether or not this set needed to exist. I definitely like Lego having more LGBT representation, and Queer Eye is a popular LGBT series so it makes sense, but it doesn't seem like a particularly good fit for Lego imo. I'm not sure what a good alternative would be, maybe a Drag Race set with a wide variety of outfits and some encouragement to make your own? Though with minifigs that may be too limiting.

Joke answer: Billy in the Street set

FOR A DOLLAR NAME A LEGO SET

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd like to see more Lego sets with LGBT+ family units in the general line rather than have the special "gay" sets but i think it's good that they're doing them

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

I'd like to see more Lego sets with LGBT+ family units in the general line rather than have the special "gay" sets but i think it's good that they're doing them

Yeah. This is a much better idea.

Alternately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4EDYVupd0A

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“…acid.”

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Queer Eye is a p fun show and honestly 90% of semi-reality tv (makeovers, home makeovers, financing) are "here Are 2 good tips and let's throw money at the rest of the problem" anyway.

I'm not into TV show sets but sometimes I wonder what the build/location would be for some. Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend for example have almost no "focus" sets.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just got a JVN leave-in conditioner and my tresses are singing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lets get a Survivor set that's got Jeff, Boston Rob, Sandra, Tony I guess, and is really just an excuse to make a lot of cool jungle poo poo, and then you can put your other minifigs through survivor.

This season on Lego Survivor: Ron Weasley, Chewbacca, The entire Queer Eye cast, Homer Simpson, Steve Rogers, and Egon Spangler

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Queer Eye is a p fun show and honestly 90% of semi-reality tv (makeovers, home makeovers, financing) are "here Are 2 good tips and let's throw money at the rest of the problem" anyway.

I'm not into TV show sets but sometimes I wonder what the build/location would be for some. Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend for example have almost no "focus" sets.
Crazy Ex could have the office, Rebecca's apartment, and the boba stand? Not very exciting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Bloop posted:

Lets get a Survivor set that's got Jeff, Boston Rob, Sandra, Tony I guess, and is really just an excuse to make a lot of cool jungle poo poo, and then you can put your other minifigs through survivor.

This season on Lego Survivor: Ron Weasley, Chewbacca, The entire Queer Eye cast, Homer Simpson, Steve Rogers, and Egon Spangler

For Survivor it'd have to be tribal council or maybe a challenge obstacle course

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

For Survivor it'd have to be tribal council or maybe a challenge obstacle course

both please

Just a bag of fronds and brown 1x8 plates and you have to build a shelter yourself with no instructions so everyone's camp looks different

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Chris Knight posted:

Crazy Ex could have the office, Rebecca's apartment, and the boba stand? Not very exciting.

Or instead give me a solid two block streetscape so I can recreate the "but I could if I wanted to" song.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Oh by the way for the ? Block there's a secret/easter egg 5th level on the bottom. You can see a little of it on the box with the X-ray, seems like a flat stage with one structure/figure. Guessing it's either Bowser's arena and a Bowser microfigure or the table with cake from the credits. Leaning towards Bowser since the location would make sense and it's weird there wasn't a Bowser microfigure in the set.

This "leaked" and it’s a Bowser microfig. It's his boss stage, kinda, with an action feature of Mario kicking him off, sorta. Underwhelming but it's more of an easter egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbM7xHboRNI

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 16, 2021

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

RatHat posted:

This "leaked" and it’s a Bowser microfig. It's his boss stage, kinda, with an action feature of Mario kicking him off, sorta. Underwhelming but it's more of an easter egg

The secret section is about 5:20 in. And I kind of… love everything about this set? Great hidden section of the build and the fact that it’s playable is just the cherry on top.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Those are some really neat details. Not really interested though.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

So the wife and I got into Lego heavy due to lockdowns. I ended up buying two of the 3 in 1 castle set and plan on buying any future medieval sets.

Is there any way to buy terrain sets or any cool guides so I can have said castle on a hill or in a forest? I just hate having it on such a flat surface and I am not creative enough to just do it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I feel like Lego missed out on the ultimate blind bag here. Ship a $170 LEGO set that has one of three brick-built items in a black bag - a mushroom, a fire flower, or a star. The block is an elaborate bag-opening apparatus, so you load the bag into the block, open it up, and pour out the contents to build the mystery power-up inside.

Think of the clickbait articles that would generate! Imagine your consternation when you buy a pallet of the things and get all mushrooms! People will beg Lego to release at least just the blind bags for like $70 and they’ll laugh and laugh and refuse them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RatHat posted:

No notes.
Wait I got one: Find a way to make those goon mario levels from earlier fit in the set

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think of all the Nintendo sets I've seen I like that the most, but it's still not one I'll get. Maybe if I was a Nintendo gamer 'back in the day'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking of the Nintendo stuff how is it holding up?

It's obviously doing well enough for them to keep coming out with new stuff but I have no idea if kids are actually playing with it and liking it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have extremely fond memories of playing Mario 64 and eating scooby-doo gummies at my grandpa’s house after school, so I’m absolutely gonna buy that set at some point.

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008
I've been buying the mario sets for my kid. He's 4 and likes the play feature gimmicks. They're simple enough to build with him and the sets are all in small ~100 piece chunks so we can stop and pack up when he's tired.
I don't think it would really engage older kids, and while the little bad guys look good on a shelf, they are way overpriced as just display sets.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

weird that n64 is a whole generational cohort later than what I would consider back in the day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

weird that n64 is a whole generational cohort later than what I would consider back in the day.

Guess what, you're old. :ssh:

But yes, to me the NES SMB is the youth defining Mario game.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's obviously doing well enough for them to keep coming out with new stuff but I have no idea if kids are actually playing with it and liking it.

From what I've heard it's been pretty disappointing overall. Kids play with it for five minutes then get bored, it's basically scanning barcodes. I think the big mistake is making the whole line about the game. If it were more traditional playsets, I think it would be much better regarded.

I've gotten a bunch of Mario stuff on clearance already and I think the monsters are great. It's just there's not much else to them and the part count is generally pretty low for the price. I think Bowser's Airship is the only one that really stands alone as a set and not just a game piece.

As for the new stuff, Lego sets have a lead time of at least a year, so it wouldn't surprise me if Lego had the third (current) wave of stuff ready to go, or at least heavily in development, when the first Mario stuff dropped last year. May as well get them out.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think the big mistake is making the whole line about the game. If it were more traditional playsets, I think it would be much better regarded.
When I saw the sets in the stores I had no interest in it, but then I watched this bizarre advertisement and now I have less than no interest in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYt1v5_mSf8

I buy the Lego so that I can put the space man minifig in the castle set and make up a story about why he is doing there. I don't need it to make a coin sound or make my kids do a weird dance that makes me feel like I'm on drugs.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still can't imagine it doing well.It looks kinda fun, but the moment you think about it for 3 seconds you come to the conclusion that it's far too limited and far to expensive (and space hungry) to get more out of it.
I wish they were actual minifigs. :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't collect stuff to resell or anything, but I do find it fun to keep up with Lego SW prices just for shits and giggles and have some level of awareness, in case I had to sell some sets to get some emergency cash or subsidize some big set or whatever. And it's sort of funny, I think the only (not redundant) OT set I have passed on since I started collecting again in 2014 was the UCS Cloud City betrayal from a couple of years ago, and it's bar none the fastest appreciation I have ever seen on a SW set lol. I kind of wanted it for the figures and the cloud car, but $350 was too much for a set that just otherwise seemed...undisplayable both from a logistics standpoint and it just doesn't look that good either. But it's worth like $600 friggin dollars already and that lando fig alone is worth around $120.

I'm not sure I "get" the anomaly of Cloud City sets fetching such high prices for seemingly no reason at all. At least I grabbed most of the figs I wanted from it while the set was in production so they were half way affordable. Even back then lando was like $60 though so I'll never have a Cloud City Lando. poo poo Lego, just start putting Lando in more sets he was literally the only black dude in Star Wars and is a really well known character. Stop making him this weird uh...token collectable, wtf. Boba Fett was in the movies for like 2 minutes and I have ended up with like 10 of him.

Sorry this was a really dumb rant.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It has always seemed weird to me how everyone loves boba fett for some reason, I can’t figure it out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Voice of Labor posted:

The N64 was my first console, and I got one in my twenties lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

It has always seemed weird to me how everyone loves boba fett for some reason, I can’t figure it out

three stooges pratfalls into holes in the ground are the very essence of star wars and he embodies it perfectly

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry this was a really dumb rant.

I wonder if they didn’t make as many of them, and maybe not too many people are selling theirs, so it’s a market scarcity thing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the Everyone is Awesome set just got banned in China. I'm surprised it was released over there in the first place even though it has no explicit LBGT branding.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
There's a new cultural directive in China and while it's a great set it doesn't quite jive with the new rules so to speak

I personally am really excited to hear everyone's hand-wringing over what a horrible company Lego is for continuing to do business there, I'm sure there are some really nuanced, intelligent political opinions waiting to be posted under the guise of just barely being related to the building toys in question

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:goonsay:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zedd posted:

Do a Kitchen Nightmares set with options to do a before and after renovations. Lego already makes rats and bugs pieces