Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah if wasps started crawling out of toilets I would burn my house down and just start anew, nope nope no thanks noooooooooope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But I came here to ask about this:

Since we moved in, every time we run the washer the traps in all the bathrooms go gloop. No smell is emitted. I had been worrying about the septic system backing up, but this sounds very plausible. The house had been uninhabited for at least a couple of months, and I can easily believe that the washer hookup had dried out. How do I find the trap to check if this is true, and how do I fill it?

Honestly, it’s probably easier to skip the trap check and just pour a little water in. Just get a cup and make the rounds of running sinks/tubs and pouring water in drains without running water via the cup. It doesn’t take much to fill the trap.

Actually checking drains in a tight spot with no direct line of sight usually involves strategic use of mirrors and flashlights, or a drain scope. You can just look down things like sinks, but it’s more effort to pull the stopper mechanisms to see than it is to just run the sink.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah if wasps started crawling out of toilets I would burn my house down and just start anew, nope nope no thanks noooooooooope

:hmmyes:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yellow jackets in vent stacks is a horrifying new one to me, but probably a pretty easy fix in the grand scheme of things.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
are there any weird downsides to radon mitigation I should know about? I’ve had a long term test thing running and the average radon value it’s coming back with is like 6.6 picl a month, so I think it’s probably needed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

are there any weird downsides to radon mitigation I should know about? I’ve had a long term test thing running and the average radon value it’s coming back with is like 6.6 picl a month, so I think it’s probably needed.

Sure, the downsides are that you have an electrically powered fan running all the time and you're potentially dragging in outside air (to to negative the negative pressure being created), increasing cooling and heating bills.

The upside is not getting cancer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

You're also slightly increasing the radon concentration immediately outside your house.

Like, sliiiiightly. We're talking near homeopathy levels here.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

cruft posted:

You're also slightly increasing the radon concentration immediately outside your house.

Like, sliiiiightly. We're talking near homeopathy levels here.

The first house I was under contract for last year was a purchase from a homeopathy "doctor". The radon mitigation system apparently was making noise when she purchased the place 10+ years ago so she simply unplugged the thing so the vibrations didn't interfere with her blood. The kitchen didn't have a microwave and the wireless router was surrounded by an aluminum foil box in the basement. :science:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Motronic posted:

Sure, the downsides are that you have an electrically powered fan running all the time and you're potentially dragging in outside air (to to negative the negative pressure being created), increasing cooling and heating bills.

The upside is not getting cancer.

well yeah i figured the upsides. didnt really know how they worked so this was helpful. thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

well yeah i figured the upsides. didnt really know how they worked so this was helpful. thanks!

It's really just some PVC pipes drilled into the right places under your basement slab that are all connected together running to the roof of your house somewhere with a fan somewhere in that mix to keep dragging air out from under the slab. Some part of it that you should be able to see past where the pipes come together will have a gauge on it that tells you "yes, this is sucking enough" or "no, no longer sucking enough".

They're pretty maintenance free systems. At some point the fan will die of course, and you'll replace it and it will run for another 15+ years.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The house I am building is in a high radon area according to the first few results of googling radon maps. Our foundation under the basement slab is all crushed stone and pea gravel with perforated drain pipes that run to 2 sump crocks in the corners of the basement. Our radon solution was to run a 3” pvc pipe from one of the crocks to the roof with an in-line fan on the outside of the house. Then then the crocks were sealed with acrylic covers and silicone. It brought our radon levels of 7-9 down to 2-3, so apparently it is working.

TLDR: You might not need to dig through your basement floor if you have a sump crock.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

NomNomNom posted:

Getting a new concrete driveway and patio, contractor offers and recommends an acrylic sealer. Easy upsell for them or actually worthwhile?

Maybe worthwhile, depending on what they're actually talking about applying. "Acrylic sealer" is kind of vague. If anything, a silane or siloxane water repellent would be what I'd use. They completely penetrate, aren't film-building, and won't alter the color or appearance of the concrete. They would help keep the concrete cleaner from mildew/algae growth and easier to clean when you do need to break out the pressure washer. If applicable to your region, they supposedly protect against deicing salts and ice damage, but I'm a Floridian who can't speak to that personally.

Keep in mind too that most any exterior clear sealer or water repellent will have a lifespan of anywhere from 1-4 years depending on the product, application, exposure, and traffic. Unless you're going to keep up with redoing it as needed, it's probably not worth doing as a one-time deal when it's poured.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been dragging my feet on installing my radon mitigation system. Got all the pieces, have just been procrastinating on cutting the hole in the side of my house. I suppose one other downside to a radon mitigation system is the potential noise that the fan and vibrations the pipes could cause. Depending on where the system is installed this may or may not be an issue for you. Because I need to install mine on the exterior wall about 18" from where I sleep at night, I went with a low voltage fan, thicker pipes, and have some rubber gaskets ready to install on the wall clamps to cut down on vibration transfer. Hopefully it will be nearly silent or at the worst a quiet white noise. Found a lot of great info on that here: https://www.wpb-radon.com/Radon_fan_noise.html

If you're paying someone else to install the system you may or may not be able to control these factors.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
We got the 4" option which was a little bit more for materials but allowed for lower velocity and reduced noise. I haven't heard a sound from the system in 18 months.

We could have gone with a variable speed fan for a few hundred more dollars that would have let them dial in exactly how much flow was needed, potentially saving electrical costs. But I calc'd it out and it wasn't ever really going to pay for itself.

e: they sealed both sump pits, core drilled a 4" hole in one corner, and sucked out a couple buckets worth of gravel immediately below the hole. They drill a couple of test ports on the other side of the basement to test suction draw of the system to make sure it was pulling enough.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 14, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Modus Man posted:

The house I am building is in a high radon area according to the first few results of googling radon maps. Our foundation under the basement slab is all crushed stone and pea gravel with perforated drain pipes that run to 2 sump crocks in the corners of the basement. Our radon solution was to run a 3” pvc pipe from one of the crocks to the roof with an in-line fan on the outside of the house. Then then the crocks were sealed with acrylic covers and silicone. It brought our radon levels of 7-9 down to 2-3, so apparently it is working.

TLDR: You might not need to dig through your basement floor if you have a sump crock.

we do indeed have a sump crock. I wonder if the reason the radon levels are high is because it’s not sealed? the slab is floating as well so I presume gas can infiltrate that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

we do indeed have a sump crock. I wonder if the reason the radon levels are high is because it’s not sealed? the slab is floating as well so I presume gas can infiltrate that way.

Oh yeah, that's supposed to at least have a heavy lid on it. I've never seen them truly sealed, but that might be a thing where that would do the trick rather than a full on active radon system (that's never the case around here).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, that's supposed to at least have a heavy lid on it. I've never seen them truly sealed, but that might be a thing where that would do the trick rather than a full on active radon system (that's never the case around here).

yeah right now it just has a kinda flimsy plastic cover with a hole in it for the dehumidifier drain line to go into

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

yeah right now it just has a kinda flimsy plastic cover with a hole in it for the dehumidifier drain line to go into

I mean......if you have a really detectable radon level covering that and even sealing it isn't likely to solve the issue. That's not really how radon and/or concrete work.

But the good news is that in places that have radon there are (used to be) plenty of contractors that can get this done for a reasonable price. In hellworld who knows how this works out but it shouldn't be a big deal at least in materials.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Motronic posted:

Only if it's closed, but that same valve is something that would never be needed (or closed) on a properly working and serviced system because......the system is literally lower than your lowest sanitary output by definition.

Also...there is no conceivable way that even in a system that somehow got sealed up that some of that packing wouldn't blow out and vent, even when buried. It's not going to be like an 80s comedy where the lid blows off 100 feet into the sky and lands somewhere that hilariously sets off a chain of events. That's just ridiculous and unrealistic.

Also without a backwater valve, if you had this much pressure in your septic tank and no proper vent you would hear the p traps in your sink burbling and your house would smell like rear end. LONG before this hilarious tank cap blowing off. You'd need to I guess cap off all of your drains and make sure your waste plumbing was rated to several hundred PSI to make sure you could build up enough pressure.

Sorry, I'm going on and on here.....but if you know how plumbing and septic system work this is just........stupid.

Spoke to the other plumbing/septic company in town and got the same "they're supposed to breath" spiel, the only difference was that they also suggested that, since mine is a pump out tank, sealing it too tightly might create a vacuum when it's pumping?

I'm just going to tuck tape the gently caress out of it and see what happens. If nothing goes awry, I'll do it properly with that tape stuff you linked.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

kitten emergency posted:

We sealed the sump crocks because our system is drawing the air right from there instead of a separate hole through the basement slab. Without sealing the lids there would be no suction. I also doubt that just sealing the lids alone would reduce the amount of radon in the basement. As far as I know the only way to get rid of it is to actively remove it and vent it into the atmosphere.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

We installed our old radon mitigation system in our sump pit and it cost maybe 800 for that and the sump pump. Depending on your house, I would make sure to install a sump pump at the same time. For some reason houses in our area of CO only had the pit, but with no pump, butit was fed by a french drain system around the house and if the pit filled with water above the pvc draining into it, the radon mitigation no longer worked (since it was essentially sucking the air/radon from the ground through the French drain, which was now blocked).

I also don't think your radon is going to be a result of the opening; It's not as if all the radon is being funnelled through that opening.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 14, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

thanks for the insight! we’re getting some quotes but it seems pretty affordable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When the ground is really saturated my radon system will gurgle, always wondering if I could put in some sort of access plug or anything to try and suck that water out because it’s quite loud.

Obviously would need to be air tight when closed.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Concrete contractors broke ground this morning. That mini ex doesn't mess around.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Well that's not great. They got a ton of work done today, but while demolishing the existing concrete patio found out it was semi attached to the house:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

NomNomNom posted:

Well that's not great. They got a ton of work done today, but while demolishing the existing concrete patio found out it was semi attached to the house:

I hope they’re paying for the repair.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I hope they’re paying for the repair.

What repair?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NomNomNom posted:

:wow:

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

I have this old cedar fence with the paint falling off. I want to paint it before the winter. I have both a solid deck stain and outdoor paint. Is stain better than paint for a fence? Or vice versa? Or does it not really matter?

For prep, should I pressure wash it? Hit the gunk with outdoor cleaner? Or just get the loose stuff off with a stiff brush and then stain or prime/paint?

Got the fence painted over the weekend!

Primed:

and painted:

Any suggestions for a good vine on the back trellis? Grapes would be nice but I don't want to attract rats. Something native to the PNW would be best.

Separate question:

I have a window well that just has dirt at the bottom. It's under a roof overhang and basically never gets wet. I have never had water intrusion issues. I've pulled the grate to repaint it and I have painted the walls of the window well. Should I bother putting gravel down? I've read that you should have a minimum of 3-6" of gravel, but given it's been in place since the house was built I feel like adding gravel would basically just be an aesthetic change.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Any suggestions for a good vine on the back trellis? Grapes would be nice but I don't want to attract rats. Something native to the PNW would be best.

Hops, if you do not have a dog. Grows pretty fast, looks nice, smells great in the fall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

I have a window well that just has dirt at the bottom.

Build a diorama. Pyramids or stonehenge will always be cute to see out your basement window.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 16, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Most of the grading done today. No improvement to the brick by the door other than my dude saying he'll handle it...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Most of the grading done today. No improvement to the brick by the door other than my dude saying he'll handle it...

I totally missed that in the first picture. That sucks, good luck getting it repaired. I just looked at the dirt and first few feet under the window.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

What repair?

Oh snap, I didn't see the missing brick, either.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What is that we're seeing beneath the previously existing brick underneath the door? I'm not a construction understanding person, so I don't know what's normally underneath a brick exterior before you hit things like studs and drywall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

Oh snap, I didn't see the missing brick, either.

I see what's going on. Why do you or the other person think this is a "repair" that the contractor should pay for. That's a scope of work change the person who owns the house pays for.

If you really want "zero risk" contracts for things like this where the amount of work/money required will never increase after the job starts you need to be prepared to pay 5x for every last job you get done. This isn't reality, it's not how it works. This change is on the homeowner.

Also on the fact that they bought a home where some poo poo stain poured the patio that way. You pay for your POs idiocy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

You pay for your POs idiocy.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Motronic posted:

I see what's going on. Why do you or the other person think this is a "repair" that the contractor should pay for. That's a scope of work change the person who owns the house pays for.

If you really want "zero risk" contracts for things like this where the amount of work/money required will never increase after the job starts you need to be prepared to pay 5x for every last job you get done. This isn't reality, it's not how it works. This change is on the homeowner.

Also on the fact that they bought a home where some poo poo stain poured the patio that way. You pay for your POs idiocy.

I’m a demo contractor, so I’m biased when I see people do lovely demo work, but where I come from I tell people about scope changes before I do the work, not after. Particularly if the after is Oops I damaged your house, the one thing you hired me not to do. They didn’t make a proper separation.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah how is that not on the demo crew for not doing proper determination on what they're actually removing instead of just letting 'er rip and tearing out part of the house?

You find something abnormal that's additional work, you document and present beforehand. You don't just blunder ahead and then demand the owner pay to fix the damages you caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Real question, we are going to have to do some major work on our single (1) bathroom. Other than renting a porta potty, where do we poo poo?