Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

This is all very well said. Honestly it sounds hard to vaccinate people getting chewed up by US society so thoroughly. Maybe it could be done with no-questions-asked anonymous vaccinations with immediate substantial payments, maybe even going door-to-door in low-vaccination rate areas. Some people would likely get extra shots and scam a little money but that's not a big deal. Not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Iron Crowned posted:

The hippopotamus oath.

this is a violation of my HIPPO rights :mad:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

poll plane variant posted:

I mean in CT where ppl got vaxxed early it's apparently up to 1/3 fully vaxxed in the hospitals so waning will make this less partisan soon

The Israel numbers before they started the booster shots were pretty cringeworthy seeing the correlation between new cases and hospitalization.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

The Israel numbers before they started the booster shots were pretty cringeworthy seeing the correlation between new cases and hospitalization.

The booster hasn't budged their poo poo has it, it's still vertical

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/KWWL/status/1438250085310214153?s=19

And yet every restaurant I drove by last night was absolutely packed to the gills and school is in session. We're taking no mitigations as we power through the upside of yet another wave.

1 in 200 Iowa children tested positive last week

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
*thinking harder than I've ever thought before*

herd immunity... by killing everyone

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

1 in 200 Iowa children tested positive last week

the important thing is that they received in person schooling

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
close biden

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
close biden!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

anyways sorry about the death but i've got some eggs benny to have this morning so, you know open biden

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

empty whippet box posted:

A good friend of mine in mississippi, who is black, is still not vaccinated. He is living/working in Florida at the moment. I have spoken to him about it and urged him to get it and told him I am afraid for him and his family. He has had many run-ins with the law, one of which(over a gram of weed he had on him going through a roadblock in 2019) caused him and his family(3 kids!) to go homeless and live in a hotel for the entirety of 2020. He doesn't want to go give his name anywhere, and even telling him he doesn't need to give his name didn't do it. I've told him that while these are reasonable reasons to be nervous about it, that covid is loving terrifying and I worry for him. He says he doesn't go anywhere but work and just stays inside mostly so he thinks he'll be fine. Of course I know this is not true - I'm sure he's still hustling on the side(I know him from my days years ago doing the same) and last I saw him he was still doing stuff like passing blunts around with people who were also one step away from homelessness in the hotel he was living in.

He's been living in a state of crisis for so long that he doesn't really see it as crisis anymore and hasn't for a long time, it's just how life is. Doing something to rock the boat is potentially deadly when you're in life situations like that. And taking real precautions would both do that, and make his life even shittier, which would be that much harder to tolerate. I get why he doesn't, doesn't make it any less frustrating. I worry for him and his family and I hope he finally comes around.

These are not the same people sharing tons of facebook memes and pushing other people not to get vaccinated. As frustrating as it is I have empathy for his situation and why he's avoiding it. He has every reason to distrust anything having to do with the government. I have barely scratched the surface here in describing how he has been systematically hosed over in his life by it.

To solve a problem like this you have to do a few things. He'd need to know that he isn't going to get persecuted, warrants aren't going to be checked for, no systems will be flagged, whatever if he goes to get the vaccine. Second, you need to pay people to get the vaccine. He can't afford to miss work because he could literally go homeless within a week as a result of getting sick, and getting the vaccine can gently caress you up for a couple days. AFAIK he doesn't have any active warrants or anything but even people who do need to be able to go get the vaccine, get paid for it, and gently caress back off again to whatever hole they're hiding in.

A lot of compassion is needed for people who are vaccine resistant for reasons like these. The libs keep trying to tell me I should have empathy for republican chuds like the ones who show up on r/hermancainawards. Whatever man, no I don't. I do think everyone should get paid to get it and that includes those people. That's as close as I am gonna come to having any kind of empathy for these loving people. Ok, they're 'affected by misinfo' or whatever excuse they wanna give them for the way they are. I fuckin hated these people before covid and I will hate them after covid(:lol:). I laughed at their self inflicted suffering before this and I'll laugh at it afterwards. If I have any energy or mental space to have sympathy for those people or try to reach out to those people it'd be 10 trillion times better to use that energy having sympathy or reaching out to people like my friend who I described here.

It loving sucks to watch a friend make a bad choice for a good reason.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
WAIT gently caress OPEN BIDEN

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Ham Cheeks posted:

WAIT gently caress OPEN BIDEN

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
the biden...is open

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

another lockdown??? this is what liberals want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYy9v2n1g0

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Schnorkles posted:

*thinking harder than I've ever thought before*

herd immunity... by killing everyone

well I'd like to see ol United States herd immunity out of this one
*US infects every citizen easily yet COVID still rages and is killing people*
Ah! Well. Open Biden,

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
sometimes creative destruction is necessary...open biden

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Small-town Florida clinic. Testing is under half what it was a couple weeks ago. Vaccines have slowed to a trickle. We've been stuck in the 50% vaccinated range for months.

We will drive to local schools to pick up lab samples for processing. Schools are mostly ignoring this. I suspect they just aren't testing.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

platzapS posted:

Small-town Florida clinic. Testing is under half what it was a couple weeks ago. Vaccines have slowed to a trickle. We've been stuck in the 50% vaccinated range for months.

We will drive to local schools to pick up lab samples for processing. Schools are mostly ignoring this. I suspect they just aren't testing.

Let's goon project an open source vaccine gun

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
not great

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1438472769184931848

Hey, remember all the times we have been warned that if we ever get socialized medicine, we'd suffer from rationed care?
care in America has always been rationed; the rich get it and the poor don’t.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ham Cheeks posted:

close biden!

wrong, bitch

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

3.2%?

Rookie numbers!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

platzapS posted:

there's no reason for schools with high background cases to test, any more than you'd want bars and restaurants to be open and constantly test their patrons

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I've learned so much geography and local history from this thread, it's so fun to learn about new places and the ways their leaders suck.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

our district just abandoned weekly reports and will return to daily reports, even though the dashboard is right there to read.

oh and over a hundred and twenty people are quarantining now

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Speaking of which why isn't Andre Jacques dead not yet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Death By The Blues posted:

Alabama actually had more deaths then births last year, apparently first time this happened.

https://twitter.com/RamseyArchibald/status/1438221531893665797

well yeah, the lockdowns kept them from visiting their cousins

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1438513278641053698?s=20

lol

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real Mean Queen posted:

You know, I hadn’t really thought about it, but yeah. Kids my age in my area had a couple car crash deaths and at least one fatal OD right around when I graduated, and those were actually pretty well memorialized. There’s a statue at a skate park, there’s a local charity that distributes narcan and teaches people how to administer it, the community actually took an opportunity to come together, recognize some senseless tragedies, mourn the dead, comfort the families, and take a couple small steps to lessen the odds of other families having similar losses. They weren’t fixes, but the community came together and made an effort, and that’s pretty good on its own.

The nice thing about a one-off senseless tragedy is that there’s one of it, so people can make a big deal out of it. When a tragedy is immediately followed by another one of the same before anybody can even bury their dead, focus gets split, the community gets atomized, and before you know it everyone is just saying “that thing that happens happened again” when a tragedy hits the news and only bothering to really care when they personally know the dead person in question.

What the gently caress is covid going to do to these kids, and to these communities? I guess they can Learn 2 Live W/ It, but that just means learning to live in a worse world that we didn’t need to live in at all.

One death is a tragedy, one million deaths is Open Biden

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

The best part is any state that has a fraction more of their population vaccinated is going to look at Idaho and say "Well at least that can't happen here."

Lol

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

poll plane variant posted:

Why do they vent covid cases? They linger for weeks but like 0% ever come off it right?

They die without the vent. Many die on it or “survive” only to be discharged to long term vent facility, only to die months/years later, but some do survive and make full recoveries

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
the racoon came back last night. i was on the porch having a smoke / drinking whiskey and it nudged my feet with its nose. again, it climbed up the gutter pipe three stories. i brought it some watermelon and scraps from dinner. large bowl of fresh water. they were very thirsty, as they were last time. and we just kinda chilled. thunder rolled in so i opened our outside closet in the event it wanted to chill out. went in, laid down. didn't get weird when i got up to go in.

i have made a very important ally.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
So I successfully got medical accommodation to continue telework because of a condition I have that would be bad news mixed with covid. The rest of the teams that I work with are all going back to the office on a hybrid schedule this week. I mentioned it in a biweekly email report I send to a bunch of teams by way of explaining why they wouldn't be seeing me at my desk. I was since told I shouldn't have shared my accommodation status publicly... as though people wouldn't find out? Or that I could commit a HIPAA violation against myself?

I'm guessing management doesn't want to let on to the proles that prioritizing safety is actually an option if they wanted it to be and they wanted to remind me that my telework only exists at the grace of my betters. I was telling everyone at our union meeting to apply to the process, but I guess they don't know that.

This is at a university-affiliated organization in lib-world, if that wasn't obvious.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lmao. Though Denmark has that:

Which might make it look like it works for a few months

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

A good friend of mine in mississippi, who is black, is still not vaccinated. He is living/working in Florida at the moment. I have spoken to him about it and urged him to get it and told him I am afraid for him and his family. He has had many run-ins with the law, one of which(over a gram of weed he had on him going through a roadblock in 2019) caused him and his family(3 kids!) to go homeless and live in a hotel for the entirety of 2020. He doesn't want to go give his name anywhere, and even telling him he doesn't need to give his name didn't do it. I've told him that while these are reasonable reasons to be nervous about it, that covid is loving terrifying and I worry for him. He says he doesn't go anywhere but work and just stays inside mostly so he thinks he'll be fine. Of course I know this is not true - I'm sure he's still hustling on the side(I know him from my days years ago doing the same) and last I saw him he was still doing stuff like passing blunts around with people who were also one step away from homelessness in the hotel he was living in.

He's been living in a state of crisis for so long that he doesn't really see it as crisis anymore and hasn't for a long time, it's just how life is. Doing something to rock the boat is potentially deadly when you're in life situations like that. And taking real precautions would both do that, and make his life even shittier, which would be that much harder to tolerate. I get why he doesn't, doesn't make it any less frustrating. I worry for him and his family and I hope he finally comes around.

These are not the same people sharing tons of facebook memes and pushing other people not to get vaccinated. As frustrating as it is I have empathy for his situation and why he's avoiding it. He has every reason to distrust anything having to do with the government. I have barely scratched the surface here in describing how he has been systematically hosed over in his life by it.

To solve a problem like this you have to do a few things. He'd need to know that he isn't going to get persecuted, warrants aren't going to be checked for, no systems will be flagged, whatever if he goes to get the vaccine. Second, you need to pay people to get the vaccine. He can't afford to miss work because he could literally go homeless within a week as a result of getting sick, and getting the vaccine can gently caress you up for a couple days. AFAIK he doesn't have any active warrants or anything but even people who do need to be able to go get the vaccine, get paid for it, and gently caress back off again to whatever hole they're hiding in.

A lot of compassion is needed for people who are vaccine resistant for reasons like these. The libs keep trying to tell me I should have empathy for republican chuds like the ones who show up on r/hermancainawards. Whatever man, no I don't. I do think everyone should get paid to get it and that includes those people. That's as close as I am gonna come to having any kind of empathy for these loving people. Ok, they're 'affected by misinfo' or whatever excuse they wanna give them for the way they are. I fuckin hated these people before covid and I will hate them after covid(:lol:). I laughed at their self inflicted suffering before this and I'll laugh at it afterwards. If I have any energy or mental space to have sympathy for those people or try to reach out to those people it'd be 10 trillion times better to use that energy having sympathy or reaching out to people like my friend who I described here.

thank you for the insights

“crisis for so long it’s not crisis anymore “ Is sad

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

euphronius posted:

lmao

hahahah

yeah, I'm 90% sure now the boosters will not be approved for Monday. apparently the CDC is planning a booster meeting next week...

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2021-09-15/white-house-cdc-committee-will-meet-next-week-on-covid-19-boosters

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will meet next week to discuss COVID-19 booster shots, the White House said on Wednesday.

The CDC committee meeting will follow a separate meeting of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration committee this Friday and will consider for whom the use of a booster shot for the vaccine made by Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE is appropriate.

that's too late, it's past the 20th deadline joe set. it really cannot be stated how badly joe biden and his administration has hosed up this pandemic and america's response. they had _months_ to get their ducks in a row and figure out boosters. they had all the data in the world, especially from Israel. the loving prime minister of Israel visited Joe directly last month and told him in no uncertain terms you need to boost 5-6 months. Joe agreed!

and yet here we are a few days from a meaningless deadline that will almost certainly be missed. more people will die. democrats couldn't care one bit

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/utmbnews/status/1438514003181932552?s=19

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Jon Irenicus posted:

our district just abandoned weekly reports and will return to daily reports, even though the dashboard is right there to read.

oh and over a hundred and twenty people are quarantining now

Does it look anything like SCDHEC's new and improved reporting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what was the point of the 9/20 goal anyways, just that it was going to be 8 months from when a lot of doctors/nurses started getting their second doses?