Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Feels like we were more likely to get an Eva ending than some slash and hack murderfest for Berserk at this point given the implications of the armor and of the moon child as revealed in this last chapter.

That said I dunno how you can totally avoid the sword fighting, even if its brief because Guts really is that good these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At minimum Guts should kick Griffith in the balls.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Ccs posted:

For those feeling severe Berserk withdrawal and annoyance over the fact that we will never get an official ending, I will once again recommend Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. It is the most Berserk-esque book I have ever read. The amount of similarities are staggering, and it has a very satisfying ending. It will never provide the ending we could hope for with Berserk but it's great to read a book that shares the same sensibilities that concludes its story within a single incredibly enjoyable novel.

I think I mentioned this already in the thread but I bought this novel after your rec and can vouch that it is very good and very Berserk-esque! Great book.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

At minimum Guts should kick Griffith in the balls. send Griffith to bed without dinner

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Guts should walk around naked and require everyone else to do the same then Griffith would always be in child form since there would always be a full moon -- Puck.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

christmas boots posted:

What's crazy is that he really hasn't been using the armor all that long in-universe (out of universe it's been decades, of course) so it's wasting him quick

This realization really hosed up my head :psyboom: He has only actually used the armor 3 times, I think? (when he first obtains it, vs the demons at the beach and vs the sea god)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

This realization really hosed up my head :psyboom: He has only actually used the armor 3 times, I think? (when he first obtains it, vs the demons at the beach and vs the sea god)

There was also the extended fight in the harbour versus Ganeshka's demons, the water snake, and finally the emperor himself as Guts teams up with Zodd

The armour starts to take him over, but Schierke pulls him back, and from then on he uses the armour while fully conscious. Bouncing from ship to ship and all that.

I bet it still drains him, though

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Ccs posted:

For those feeling severe Berserk withdrawal and annoyance over the fact that we will never get an official ending, I will once again recommend Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. It is the most Berserk-esque book I have ever read. The amount of similarities are staggering, and it has a very satisfying ending. It will never provide the ending we could hope for with Berserk but it's great to read a book that shares the same sensibilities that concludes its story within a single incredibly enjoyable novel.

Co-signed, this is that good poo poo. Thanks for the rec!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wow that ch.... o7 godspeed!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Jesus Christ.

What a cliffhanger.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Ccs posted:

Not Important posted:

Co-signed, this is that good poo poo. Thanks for the rec!

new boot goofin posted:

I think I mentioned this already in the thread but I bought this novel after your rec and can vouch that it is very good and very Berserk-esque! Great book.

Literally just finished this book after buying it on this thread's recommendation, and all I can say is holy poo poo.

Read this book, if you haven't already. If you like Berserk, then you'll like Between Two Fires. Read it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/CorgiHell/status/1444346555507503106

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
gently caress, she even looks like the pigfucker.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I binged the Squid Games yesterday and it gave me a childish joy seeing the bulk of the internet discussion being centered around Sang-woo did nothing wrong

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

I binged the Squid Games yesterday and it gave me a childish joy seeing the bulk of the internet discussion being centered around Sang-woo did nothing wrong
Lol ok this is good

Sang-woo did nothing wrong - I find it hard to completely disagree because every participant left at that point had willfully signed up for a game of death. He was a murderer in a murderer's game with willing participants who knew what was coming. This is different from Griffith, who murders unwilling people for purely selfish gain, or saves people from a situation he himself created.

Squid Game's writing is extremely good. At any point the participants can cancel the game, but don't due to reasons that actually make complete sense. It really feels like, with real people in the real world in this situation, they could make the same decisions and i'd find it hard to blame them. Sang-woo killing the north korean lady at first glance is the only truly evil act, as its justification is to prevent the game from ending with more survivors but no cash payout. However, just a few episodes before, a majority vote to end the game is shut down because 400+ people have given their lives to build that cash payout and cancelling now would make their deaths in vain. So it's still a bad act, but rather than evil it seems like a very panicked and confused act by an emotionally fatigued person in a very bizarre and pressured situation. Remember that surviving the game without the prize probably means your life is in the hands of an unhappy loan shark or ten.

I'm not on Team Sang-woo but to be honest I can't see him as a villain. I think the main thing separating him from other bad people is his perception of acting out of self-defence and survival, for reasons that are not wrong.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 12, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bisse posted:

Minor spoiler However, just a few episodes before, a majority vote to end the game is shut down because 400+ people have given their lives to build that cash payout and cancelling now would make their deaths in vain. So it's still a bad act, but rather than evil it seems like a very panicked and confused act by an emotionally fatigued person in a very bizarre and pressured situation. Remember that surviving the game without the prize probably means your life is in the hands of an unhappy loan shark or ten.

This isn't quite right. If the players vote to end the game, the money gets paid out to the families of the deceased, so its actually the opposite of them dying in vain???? Sure the survivors get screwed there, but the dead have earned a pay day.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jerkface posted:

This isn't quite right. If the players vote to end the game, the money gets paid out to the families of the deceased, so its actually the opposite of them dying in vain???? Sure the survivors get screwed there, but the dead have earned a pay day.
Oh wow really? Ok I take everything back, Sang-woo is a greedy monster.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Bisse posted:

Oh wow really? Ok I take everything back, Sang-woo is a greedy monster.

Well....

The prize money would be divided up evenly between all the dead players' families, which is 100,000 Won, or 84.75 USD. So, you either walk away with nothing or you're dead and get 85 bucks, or you get the full 38 million USD/45.6 billion Won.

Back to the Berserk:

So do we think they are ending it here with that cliffhanger or do we hear anything that leads to believe that Miura's assistants will try to press onward?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No idea, but I'd love a wrap up personally. I'd totally get it if they leave it at that though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Even if they end it here I wouldn’t mind a rough outline of how it was supposed to wrap up even if we never get to see it actually executed

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Diabetic posted:

Well....

The prize money would be divided up evenly between all the dead players' families, which is 100,000 Won, or 84.75 USD. So, you either walk away with nothing or you're dead and get 85 bucks, or you get the full 38 million USD/45.6 billion Won.

Back to the Berserk:

So do we think they are ending it here with that cliffhanger or do we hear anything that leads to believe that Miura's assistants will try to press onward?

It's 100M, not 100K, so it's 85K USD to the families of the deceased

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

Honestly, whatever Miura wanted. If he wanted his people to finish it, I hope they finish it. If he didn't want that, I hope they leave it alone.

Like christmas boots said, if they decide not to finish it I hope they publish Miura's transcript of how the remainder of the series was supposed to turn out.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hi there...is this the support group for those who finally caught up/finished? :sigh:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Happy Landfill posted:

Hi there...is this the support group for those who finally caught up/finished? :sigh:
Each must walk a black path and pass beyond, through, or into the jaws of chompy monsters to truly catch up. The required number of rereads and the chapter in which you finally arrive, to remain with us forever, is determined by your thread of fate.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

At Anime NYC

Lucca Blight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 21, 2021

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got deluxe #9 today, they included some nice fold out artwork pages. No about the author page though which is just weird as hell.

My copy arrived all hosed up with glue sticking a bunch of pages together and a couple of pages folded over on themselves.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No mention of the NYT full page spread?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

No mention of the NYT full page spread?

post it cause I didn’t see it

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I assume this means it’s just collecting the final volume of chapters we’ve already seen, and I’m also assuming that this image is done by the assistants.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
No update. Just checked online and still summer of 2022.

Just reflecting. :hist101: I had tried to start a reread last summer/fall but wasn't really into it; too much ongoing noise in the world I suppose. Last weekend, however, I started in earnest. Chompy feasting should occur by Wednesday.

I don't remember when I last read from the beginning, so I don't know which thoughts I'll have had before. I still like Black Swordsman.

One thing that's a bit weird is that we never get Griffith's background; there's no motivation to contrast with Guts. Griffith has ambition, presumably not grounded in the reality of his limitations. By contrast, Guts is focused almost entirely on his limitations without ambitions.

While the campfire of dreams has always been a clear turning point, one thing that seemed more important this time was Guts' thoughts about why he was there, what he was doing. I felt, moreso than I remember, that Guts doesn't leave just to become Griffith's friend, but to find his own ambition. Even Guts reflects later, maybe his leaving is all part of Griffith's will, but in the subsequent year he finds a way to address his limitations instead of driving toward blind ambition.

Indeed this may be the ultimate reason for his survival. Sure, he falls into blind rage for a while, for indeed everyone falls at some point, but eventually he moves back to a position of proceeding forward from what is available instead of heading off blindly toward an unachievable goal. This likely would have been impossible without the year of introspection and training.

Still pondering why no one saw how fragile Griffith was except perhaps Casca. Guts was well in the thick of the intrigue and should have had enough opportunity to see it.

Like I said, nothing much new. More later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Guts didn’t see it for the same reason no one else did: they thought Griffith was The Man and how the gently caress can you even slow down The Man for more than maybe a day or two? Griffith was the best friend Guts ever had but he was still a larger than life figure to him.

(Also I guess it’s subjective but I read Griffith’s breakdown as him not being able to handle losing one of his toys and feeling emasculated, not being fragile in the sense that he needed a confidant around (although that was also partly true)).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Griffith's past not being a core part of the narrative — and indeed barely present — is an interesting observation and one I haven't really thought about much before. Early on Guts and Casca and so many others are very clearly defined by their histories, in which Griffith is often the hero: inspirational ambition and possibility incarnate, almost unmoored from the reality and circumstances that victimize so many. The omission must have been a very deliberate choice on Miura's part, doubtlessly in part to build and maintain Griffith's mystique but perhaps also to let us examine and judge his actions more clearly, unclouded by whatever sympathies or prejudices a more complete backstory would have instilled in us.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I think to a degree, all we get of his past is all we need anyways. He gets the red behelit and is told its a special object for special boys. thats enough reinforcement for him to know "well i have this thing so im special and can enact my will because of that." the red behelit is the small push he needed to go out into the world and Be Griffith, and anything else is window dressing. Particularly because I feel certain in saying that if he hadn't been given it he never would have started down his path to begin with.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I'm inclined to agree. The Eclipse arguably strips away the self-mythologizing and reveals Griffith for what he is: a domino brick. Causality gave him a nudge, and his fall topples the world.

(I also assume that it would be Griffith's vain attempts to assert some kind of independence or personhood post-ascension that would lead to the eventual downfall of the entire metaphysical order, but that's neither here nor there)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It was a thought that just came to me a couple days ago. Having a lense to view Griffith without the prejudice of his background is beneficial, but it may have been taken a step too far. "Griffith did no wrong" is the conclusion some reached, perhaps because they concluded the Godhand is adequately detached from moral philosophies that would judge them harshly.

It feels like the lack of background forces us to equate Griffith with pure ambition, and only later do we find its external source. Like the members of the Godhand, they seem to be measured only by their vice; other characters in the story are defined by their history and flaws.

Now doubt it's a clever combination.

Though now I ponder, how much is ambition punished or rewarded throughout the story. If ambition is a measurable evil, did Guts, separating from the hawks, "become evil and deserve his punishment"?

Nearing the rescue chapter.

Oh you know, one more thing. The merging of the planes doesn't happen until later, and the eclipse is a very closed door that few can pass through. Why are there apostles in the world at all? There were eclipses before, but no apostles. Monsters show up before the eclipse, but I always read that as "gathering"/leaking and not something permanent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Griffith did nothing wrong.

Because Griffith did nothing. At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own will

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I put my grasses on. Nothing will be wong.

ps But we'd better be careful because nine posts in one day, the crowd will think there's been a reincarnation.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 9, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There is no free will there is only causality Idea of Evil take the wheel *closes eyes as my car plows through a retirement home*

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

There is no free will I say as I commit mass murder and rape in order to turn into a demonlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh I still hope they ultimately keep it going