Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Buncha new pics of the RG Hi-Nu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Want so loving much

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't wait until my copy comes in, I'm glad I preordered it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeaaah. I wasn't planning on the RG Hi-Nu since I have the MG Ver Ka, but these pictures are tempting me.
Probably not enough to pre-order on HLJ, but maybe to buy at the first chance I have when it shows up in the UK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That image is cheating a bit. They removed the left-side front skirt to get the pose.

I stand corrected. Image 5 on that reddit page shows the waist assembly and holy crap that's a brilliant fix for the front skirts getting in the way of high kicks.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 9, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The Gundam expo stuff and getting the RG Nu recently cleared out my Gunpla funds for awhile and besides the MG Virtue or a good Zoids kit at a reasonable price, dunno if finances or backlog would justify it, but I will definitely set my sights on that Hi-Nu in the future

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Arc Hammer posted:

That image is cheating a bit. They removed the left-side front skirt to get the pose.

I stand corrected. Image 5 on that reddit page shows the waist assembly and holy crap that's a brilliant fix for the front skirts getting in the way of high kicks.

Oh my GOD. That's just, like, they didn't have to, but they did, and it's brilliant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Diet Poison posted:

Oh my GOD. That's just, like, they didn't have to, but they did, and it's brilliant.

Everybody look at this. This is the future, dammit.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

JoeGlassJAw posted:

It went up again on some socials so keep an eye on P-Bandai. The launch dock will be a standalone release with an AT Field. Seeing Feb 2022 release date for both. Eva 01 JPY 5,500; Dock/AT field set JPY 2,420

What's the usual go for these for people in Australia?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Vahtooch posted:

What's the usual go for these for people in Australia?

https://sidesevenexports.com/collections/premium-bandai/products/rg-evangelion-unit-01-theatrical-versionmay-june-ship-date

It'll take a while to get to you, but I've used him a few times.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MJP posted:

I had some in-progress, stored, and completed kits on the floor of my basement. My basement got 6" of water and the contents under the waterline have been trashed. Is it weird that I'm not perturbed or unhappy about losing them? A bunch of supplies, too.

I think it finally hit home that I enjoy building/painting Gunpla and other model kits more than I do from keeping them.

I feel the same way about some kits. I've probably built over 200 of the things because I enjoyed making them so much but I've actually started throwing away a lot of them because I've just started running out of space and yeah, I'm not that bothered about many of them. Some of them I've bought higher grade versions of so they technically live on in the collection but the others were either stuff that was fairly disappointing, stuff that looked like a cool idea at the time, or stuff that's just way too complicated or awkward to display (looking at you ReZel Defensers..).

I'm actually feeling really good about reducing my collection because it was getting so much that the emotional value of a single model was nearing zero.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Got a couple Diaclones: https://imgur.com/a/Gu81fPr

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rational Brain: Huh I'd like to try some leds in my gunpla. Maybe just do some for a pair of eyes, see how it goes.

My brain: HEY DO YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD LOOK loving AWESOME:

I've been reading a bunch about leds and setups so hopefully I can make this work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Heh, I'm actually planning to get into doing lighting too, so that's probably what's going to happen to me soon enough.

Current plan is just to light up the kits compatible with Bandai's LEDs, using a 3D printed enclosure to keep the LEDs in place. We'll see how that goes.

My current problem is just finding out where to buy this stuff in the UK. I'm awful at Googling stuff like this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finally finished the woodgrain Hambrabi. There are lots of things I would do differently but I'm happy with this as a first attempt. I used spar urethane (spray can) to topcoat and it looks awesome. Sanding afterwards was a bad idea, though - it took up all the paint under the urethane. Lesson learned; the stuff was made for wood, not paint.

My wife has been opining on prototype woodgraining I've been doing on some other stuff and she thought this was the realest so far. That's praise from Caesar. Next time I do this will be with some kind of very loose, bigger brush - the small hobby brush didn't offer much realistic graining.

Also I hate to be That Guy but if anyone wants the models I'm selling in SA-Mart, please make some offers - flood recovery is hitting a bit hard cost-wise, it would be great to get these out to good homes. Happy to make offers.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am weak and have dumped 200 bucks on Zoids (incl. shipping and fees).

Thanks a lot for your advice, chiasaur11! :hfive:

I have owned and built several Tomy ZOIDS as a kid in the mid-eighties, so I am stoked to find out how similar the Kotobukiya kits are. Just looking at the runners, I can tell they are close to Bandai's Gundams, so I am thrilled to start building.
The saber tiger and the rhino I remember being around during my ZOIDS phase, and I always wanted to own them, but my parents got me the gorilla and mammoth instead (besides a score of tiny kits), which were still great. The fox just looks cool. :cool:

SpikeMcclane posted:

During backlogust, I tried my first kit of several product lines and did my first custom that wasn't just a straight repaint. And I kind of regret not documenting some of that, which has given me an idea for another contest, assuming mods / the community is cool with it.

Some people might want to pick up a kit or supplies to participate, so I want to give two months. My proposal is that between now and Halloween, anyone who wants to participate, try something new and give a short report or walkthrough of it. Always wanted to try a Zoid? Airbrushing? Decals? Diorama? It doesn't really matter what, gunpla is freedom. Whatever it is, it'll be your first time (this is on the honor system). You might end up with something cool and unexpected. You might fail spectacularly. That's okay. In the words of furry shakira, "I want to try everything. I want to try even though I could fail." And you can win fabulous (or maybe not so fabulous) prizes.

The potential prize pool:

There's a few other things hidden around my place that might get tossed in too, depending on the entries.

How to participate:
1. When you're ready to begin, do the timestamp thing.
2. Come back when you're done and share what you learned. This could be a writeup or review of what you tried or a guide on how to replicate your new skill. This is very open ended, so c'mon, probably put a little effort into it.
3. Want to try something else too? Heck yeah! Do that thing too! I don't mind.
4. Deadline is 11:59 pm EST October 31, 2021. (Although if you have a cool idea, I'll probably grant an extension.)
5. Winners will be picked based entirely on my own whims.
6. There is no number six.

gently caress yeah, let's do this!

Any advice on panel lining black parts? :v:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 13, 2021

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

MJP posted:

Finally finished the woodgrain Hambrabi. There are lots of things I would do differently but I'm happy with this as a first attempt. I used spar urethane (spray can) to topcoat and it looks awesome. Sanding afterwards was a bad idea, though - it took up all the paint under the urethane. Lesson learned; the stuff was made for wood, not paint.

My wife has been opining on prototype woodgraining I've been doing on some other stuff and she thought this was the realest so far. That's praise from Caesar. Next time I do this will be with some kind of very loose, bigger brush - the small hobby brush didn't offer much realistic graining.

Also I hate to be That Guy but if anyone wants the models I'm selling in SA-Mart, please make some offers - flood recovery is hitting a bit hard cost-wise, it would be great to get these out to good homes. Happy to make offers.
That looks amazing. :monocle:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

That looks amazing. :monocle:

Thanks! I really wanna have the next one have a more mahogany or rosewood look for the dark wood bits. If it doesn't look like it was made from materials that came from former Portuguese/British colonies, it ain't done yet :colbert:

I'm not yet happy with the yellowish wood look; if I can get it close to the honey maple stain on my kitchen cabinets I might be able to do some kind of centerpiece for the kitchen.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

I want to try painting the hg turn a gundam with my airbrush kit. I’ve actually already tried priming it already but put too much primer on. I don’t know if it still counts, but for what it’s worth I haven’t used color paints yet or tried panel lining. I’m going to use my airbrush for the main color and do the eyes and details with a paint brush. I’ll also be using Vallejo mecha color paint for the most part.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 13, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fixed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alright, I built my first FMP kit

This was a ton of fun. It has the top of the line modern HG engineering, but in service of something that is very not a Gundam. So you get weird construction that you wouldn't see in a Gundam kit. There was a period where I thought I had accidentally been building the torso backwards, but it turns out it's just like that. Also the torso can transform into a slightly different torso for some reason? With one exception that I'll get to in a bit, the color separation is fantastic. You see those yellow lines down the arms and legs? The ankle guards are the only part with stickers, all the rest is just great color separation. I also love a robot that can stow it's weapons, so the way the swords clip into the knees and the gun goes on the shoulder was fun

Now it's not all roses, the one color separation exception being a big problem because it's the head. There's a bunch of stickers on the head. Not great. And while I do like that the cannon clips onto the shoulder, It really limits posability and fucks up the balance. That shoulder joint can't hold all that weight for long. And the swords clipped into the knees looks dumb. And while the big cannon is neat, the design really limits how you can pose him with it. There's a reason the box picture show him off just kinda standing with the gun.

But those small problems aside, it's a quality kit, I had a lot of fun building something that is constructed in such an unfamiliar manner, and I'm glad to have a new kind of robot on my shelf. Soft recommendation for this kit in particular mainly because of the head stickers, but pretty strong recommendation for the FMP line. I definitely want to build some more, especially if they ever come out with a kit of those turtle robots

here's the full crew so far

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gripweed posted:

Also the torso can transform into a slightly different torso for some reason?

Probably the Lambda Driver activated mode

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good Smile did the Savages in their Moderoid line a few years ago. I built one and it went together pretty well, not quite as good as Bandai's stuff. Check my post history for some pictures of it from last year.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=25#post511099925

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Good Smile did the Savages in their Moderoid line a few years ago. I built one and it went together pretty well, not quite as good as Bandai's stuff. Check my post history for some pictures of it from last year.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=25#post511099925

Maybe I should give Moderoid a try.

But I've already selected my next build. It's from a line I've never built before, from a company I've never built before, in a scale I've never built before. That's right folks, it's Hexa Gear

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MJP posted:

Thanks! I really wanna have the next one have a more mahogany or rosewood look for the dark wood bits. If it doesn't look like it was made from materials that came from former Portuguese/British colonies, it ain't done yet :colbert:

I'm not yet happy with the yellowish wood look; if I can get it close to the honey maple stain on my kitchen cabinets I might be able to do some kind of centerpiece for the kitchen.

I do a fair amount of woodgraining and end up having to shift the color fairly often. You might be able to do that on your yellow with an orange tinted clear, maybe with a little white in it

Looks cool either way :yeah:

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I finally got around to watching Hathaway on Netflix and now I'm jumping up and down waiting for Bandai to reprint the Gustav Karl. I have a Penelope and a Xi Gundam and have Messers on the way, but completing my Big Suit tableau will be awfully expensive until folks aren't re-selling Karls at $100 a pop. There are a couple of places online selling them for cheaper, but nobody that I've heard of before.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I ended up getting the gundam marker airbrush kit and it’s pretty fun, but clearly not meant for recolors. I’m sure it’s great for adding a bit here and there, but it eats through the air cans and markers way too fast. Plus you have to regularly shake and tap the markers to keep it working. However, as a first experience with an airbrush I really liked it. I finished painting my current project and I’m overall pretty happy with it.

I wanted to make a Halloween Pumpkin Death Army figure, but the metallic orange looks way more bronze than orange. I need to panel one and weather the thing next, but with gundam marker do I need to give it some kind of clear coat or finish first?

Also just this alone had me go through the can of air that the marker airbrush kit came with as well as the entire metallic orange marker.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am part way through the truss frame on the PG Unleashed and what is kind of impressive to me is how cleanly it is able to be disassembled. Other models I am sort of afraid to do that without completely breaking things, but here I took off the waist bits without a problem. Heck, I even popped off the upper body to do a bit of work (There were a couple of pieces that needed to be put in behind a few other pieces which was a bit of a challenge) and put it back on without any trouble. I am sure that is likely by design and maybe other models are like that too, but it was less stressful than I thought it would be.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Engaged in a bit of lunacy this past week.

I enjoyed this kit, but I'm not sure what folks have seen in it that I haven't to compare it to an RG. It's perfectly nice as an HG, and the moon funnels are certainly a nice touch, but it didn't have nearly the skeletal complexity or gimmick capacity of an RG or recent MG.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I built my first ever Gunpla this afternoon.

...I may have the PG Unleashed kit waiting for me at the shop for when my next paycheque comes in.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Just Dan Again posted:

Engaged in a bit of lunacy this past week.

I enjoyed this kit, but I'm not sure what folks have seen in it that I haven't to compare it to an RG. It's perfectly nice as an HG, and the moon funnels are certainly a nice touch, but it didn't have nearly the skeletal complexity or gimmick capacity of an RG or recent MG.

I think it's that it has a lot more panel lines than normal.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
gently caress, missed out on the p-bandai Hi-Nu giant gun because I was playing a game with friends for a couple hours.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also no stickers or decals, extremely unusual especially for a HG.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I went ahead and preordered for the Harute and Zabanya just in case (going to look weird next to the 00 Qant FS MG I got tho, and gently caress the Raphael Gundam), but man, didn't even think the Hi Nu's Hyper Mega Bazooka would run out that quick

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i built another sd zaku

https://twitter.com/jammerslammi/status/1438676914202349568

morale swells in the squad

https://twitter.com/jammerslammi/status/1438689027025248258

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn, I never thought Bandai would release so man different options for bangs. Although, looking at the breakdown pictures it's not clear to what, if any, extent you will be able to swap bangs pieces between the different hairstyle options.

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1438701914045116420?s=20

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Full mechanics version of that mech from that new Kyoukai Senki show

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4704/

looks pretty cool i gotta say

also some hg grunts from the show
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4728/
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4702/
https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4716/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Honestly the legs kinda bug me on that thing, because all the weight's on the hinges rather than the frame itself. By all rights they should just shear off at the knee.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

the 30mm kits on P-Bandai are pretty neat. that gas mask is a completely new mold, isn't it? that sniper rifle on the Portanova looks real unfamiliar too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/B_Draco_k/status/1438107896152137733