Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

It's obvious they can't succeed from page one so what's the point.

You could say this about the entire HH series. We all know Horus isn't going to succeed in taking Terra so what's the point.

To be clear, I'm not really ready to die on this hill. Like at all. Nemesis was far from the best HH novel, but just far from the worst IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Azubah posted:

I thought the...liberators of relics were the guys from the dawn of war games.

Oh the Blood Ravens are notorious in memes for that (and there are a few select shady “acquisitions” in canon which are the basis of the memes), but Trayzn the Infinite is comparatively that level of thief/liberator/collector in canon, never mind the memes. He has a whole planet-stasis-vault affair of things he’s “collected”, I think, though I don’t recall the name.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/15/how-the-twice-dead-king-series-offers-deep-insights-into-the-madness-of-the-necron-mind

Article says the 2nd book is already in the pipeline and I've actually heard it's already finished. That bodes well for this book being good, enough to already have a sequel in the works before release. They've already got the cover for the 2nd book in the article. Crowley did a great job on the Ghazgkull book too.

Some really good artwork here too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was the necron spell that put them in their armor the same as the one that cursed the 1000 sons into their armor .

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

Was the necron spell that put them in their armor the same as the one that cursed the 1000 sons into their armor .

Nope, different spells that happened roughly 60 million years apart

Xenomrph posted:

Is it Trazyn the Infinite? He should cameo in everything, just stealin’ poo poo.

Nah it's Mephiston. It's like 1 minute into the episode and it's just background info so it's not really a spoiler. But cool to see an actual well known character in the show.

Dang I'm ready for them to drop another show though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Serpentis posted:

He has a whole planet-stasis-vault affair of things he’s “collected”, I think, though I don’t recall the name.

Solemnace, I believe.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Trazyn has never stolen a thing in his unlife. He has lovingly preserved key pieces of galactic history so that his people may view them at their pleasure in his exquisitely curated exhibits, after they all wake up and take back the galaxy. He's really a conservationist.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You say it’s different spell but it does the same thing ?? Or doesn’t it .

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Necrons aren't in their "armor", their flesh sloughed off and their skeletons turned into spooky metal, and most of them lost their personalities based on rank and station.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh maybe I’m thinking of the old necron lore?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe. Here's an excerpt from Indomitus about the memories of a Necron thinking back on the transformation, it's not really spoilers for the book itself but I'll tag it anyway in case:

He looked up at the Evermount and the Great Machine that had been erected at its summit. It was true that he had devised some of its angled walls and projecting antennae, stretching like hands towards the rising sun, but of its real workings he knew little.

‘I think it will tickle,’ he said, prodding both daughters to elicit squeals of shock and joy. Cleophatia’s look of happiness intensified and Zozar’s heart throbbed with pride, knowing he had done well in her eyes.

As nobility, albeit of low rank, they would be among the first to enter the biotransference halls. Zozar took his daughters’ hands and led them up the marbled pathway, while other families gathered ahead at the gates. He realised he was trembling with excitement and they could sense it too. So close to the end of the pain. Zozar could scarce believe that he had played a small part in the creation of their salvation.

He was torn from his reverie by a strange sensation, like grit in his hands.

He rubbed his fingers together, realising he no longer held onto his children. It felt like sand falling from his palms.

Zozar looked down at the two girls. Each was falling apart, slowly disintegrating into dull, ruddy crystals. Flesh became dust, slipping away from a shining metal skeleton beneath.

He looked at his own hands, the gnarled, cancer-ridden digits falling on the breeze too. The sensation crept up his arm, freezing for a moment, leaving a chilled numbness in its wake.

Cleophatia gasped in horror.

He turned his eyes upon his beloved but she looked back not with eyes of love and warmth but the cold red stare of optical lenses.

All three had become animated statues, embodiments of death that he had laboured hard to escape. The Great Machine was meant to free them from the burdens of the flesh, but not like this.

His own body melted away, leaving unfeeling living metal.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 15, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Here's a couple short excerpts for people that want to see how that little thread goes:

The last tattered vestiges of his loved ones fluttered from thought and the emptiness inside swelled with a different strength. Rage. A rage powered by a loss magnified through the lens of aeons. Rage fuelled by a guilt only known to one that had doomed his love by his own hand.

Rage and hate flowed, crackling across metal bones. All living things would perish in the inferno of his anger. All was ruin and all would be rendered unto ruin for all time.

His despair needed venting or it would consume him.

Zozar the Destroyer had woken.

When he had first woken, Zozar had spent a considerable amount of time abducting sentients to analyse their psychic make-up. He had questioned them at length about their feelings, delving beyond systemic biochemical responses to expose the very depths of true emotion. It had been the approach of an engineer, to break apart the problem to understand it, in the hopes that it would contain the solution for its own rebuilding.

He had come to one madness-inducing conclusion.

There was no cure for the biotransference. Whatever plans and dreams the likes of Szarekh thought up, Zozar knew that they could no more harness their lost souls than they could grip the vacuum itself.

There was nothing left to grasp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a reason the Necrons hated the C'tan and eventually killed them (as much as you can kill a C'tan.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just finished up Penitent after listening to the entire Inquisition series on audiobook at work over the course of a month and am feeling insanely blueballed by the ending.

What should I read to figure out Constantin Valdor's whole deal in preparation for the next book?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is an entire book about him. I personally just read the Lexicanum article.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

There is an entire book about him. I personally just read the Lexicanum article.

The book is worth a read, if nothing else because if gives a vision of Terra before the poo poo hit the fan (the heresy poo poo, not DAoT).

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Nah it's Mephiston. It's like 1 minute into the episode and it's just background info so it's not really a spoiler. But cool to see an actual well known character in the show.

Dang I'm ready for them to drop another show though

Didn’t love the raspy gargamel voice. That should be like an erebus.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

The book is worth a read, if nothing else because if gives a vision of Terra before the poo poo hit the fan (the heresy poo poo, not DAoT).

The poo poo hit the fan a long time ago and 40k is the result of a series of poo poo dominoes toppling increasingly larger poo poo dominoes into fans, thwt are also poo poo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Pretty much the second the Old Ones laughed in the Necrontyr's face when they asked for the secret to immortality the universe's fate was sealed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Can't wait for the necrons to scour the universe of life, then go insane and self destruct over untold aeons finally silencing reality with a cold and silent death

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Abbey's Bookshop (australia) and Book Depository (UK) are currently shipping copies of the Warhawk regular hardback if you happen to live in either of those countries. Book Depository also offers free international shipping! I've placed an order and am hoping it gets here relatively fast. Completely depends on what type of shipping they do so it will either be a week or a month+. Either way there is a good chance I get it before release.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Alpharius is good for that as well (maybe).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't wait for the necrons to scour the universe of life, then go insane and self destruct over untold aeons finally silencing reality with a cold and silent death

They will metaphorically throttle the soul out of the entire universe with their unfeeling metal hands, by literally cutting the realm of souls away from the physical world.

When they're done, they'll just... Stop. Sit down or something, and never stand back up. The silent king thinks he can fix things and find a way to bring them back to life, but he's just lying to himself.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

They will metaphorically throttle the soul out of the entire universe with their unfeeling metal hands, by literally cutting the realm of souls away from the physical world.

When they're done, they'll just... Stop. Sit down or something, and never stand back up. The silent king thinks he can fix things and find a way to bring them back to life, but he's just lying to himself.

It's much more fun reading about Trazyn vs Orikan. It's like watching a TG goon wrestling with a YOSPOS goon.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

D-Pad posted:

Abbey's Bookshop (australia) and Book Depository (UK) are currently shipping copies of the Warhawk regular hardback if you happen to live in either of those countries. Book Depository also offers free international shipping! I've placed an order and am hoping it gets here relatively fast. Completely depends on what type of shipping they do so it will either be a week or a month+. Either way there is a good chance I get it before release.

TY! picked it up from abbeys

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tommunist posted:

TY! picked it up from abbeys

I also found out from Book Depository that their free shipping to the US is airmail. I frequently get books from Goldsboro in London via airmail and they get here within a week. Can't wait for Warhawk, I suggest US goons order it if you can't wait.

BTW if you don't know about Goldsboro check them out. I'm a member of their GSFF club and it's worth it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just finished a reread of Fire Caste. God what a good book. It was neat to see connections to the rest of the Dark Coil that I missed the first time through.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I can't believe how incredibly boring Battle for the Abyss is. Like, I'm about 1/3 through it, and so far it's mostly just been ships I've never heard of and don't care about blowing up.

Like, it takes skill to make hundreds of pages of space battles this boring

This is where I stopped reading with the exception of Nemesis because who the hell wouldn't immediately impulse buy a book with an Eversor and Culexus going after.. who really cares. It has badass assassins who are batshit insane let loose on the universe. And that cover, I mean that poo poo is a true pinup for fluff nerds.

But, I've begun again with the Siege of Terra series and it's been excellent. Until I run into some Battle for the Abyss poo poo again, I'll keep going.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 17, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/voices-warhammer-2021-black-library-books

New Warhammer Humble Bundle for Audio books out. There's a couple of really good ones in there like Bloodlines, Flesh & Steel, Dredge Runners, Realmslayer and Ghoulslayer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I saw that bundle but I’m not sure how I’d load them on my phone or kindle. If I loaded them on my iPhone, would I access them through the audible app, or would it be treated like “music”?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If they ever release a Ciaphas Cain audiobook Humble Bundle, I'll be there for it with Tanna Leaf Tea.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

I saw that bundle but I’m not sure how I’d load them on my phone or kindle. If I loaded them on my iPhone, would I access them through the audible app, or would it be treated like “music”?

Yeah they're all just MP3 files broken down by chapter. I'm not sure about iPhone but Android has audiobook apps that can handle that kind of stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AndyElusive posted:

If they ever release a Ciaphas Cain audiobook Humble Bundle, I'll be there for it with Tanna Leaf Tea.

There’s a pair of Cain short stories that are actually audiobook-only, there is no “print” version.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

Just finished up Penitent after listening to the entire Inquisition series on audiobook at work over the course of a month and am feeling insanely blueballed by the ending.

What should I read to figure out Constantin Valdor's whole deal in preparation for the next book?

euphronius posted:

Z the IVth posted:

I'd only suggest the Valdor book for the latter reason, not for understanding the titular character's overall importance. It's a snapshot of a particular event in which the character played a major role rather than a comprehensive history of said character. For the latter you're better off following Euphronius's advice.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

The Audible App seems basically fine.

Edit: Oh right you may not have Audible already.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 17, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

The Audible App seems basically fine.

Edit: Oh right you may not have Audible already.

Wait can you load downloaded mp3 audiobooks into the audible app?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Wait can you load downloaded mp3 audiobooks into the audible app?

Yeah this is my question, how does the audible app differentiate between an audiobook MP3 and a music MP3?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/19/sunday-preview-incredible-action-figures-and-orky-reinforcements-approach

Warhawk LE pre-orders up next week.
And pre-order the regular version that you can already buy as mentioned earlier in the thread. v:v:v

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would love to see one of the great shows they teased that ISNT angels of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I would love to see one of the great shows they teased that ISNT angels of death

Yeah I watched the first episode, wasnt impressed at all and thought "man I cant wait until the next Hammer & Bolter episode". Its becoming annoying how thats the only show they're releasing.