Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
a little on-the-nose but Granolah looks more and more like a saiyan too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How is Freeza or Majin Boo more faithful.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean Freeza is how that character's name is spelled in the majority of Japanese merchandise and "Frieza" is nonsense there's no situation where that name would be spelled like that unless you wanted to try and obfuscate the fact that it's obviously a pun on freezer

Meanwhile Buu and Boo are both perfectly valid spellings.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 20, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I mean Freeza is how that character's name is spelled in the majority of Japanese merchandise and "Frieza" is nonsense there's no situation where that name would be spelled like that unless you wanted to try and obfuscate the fact that it's obviously a pun on freezer

It reads better

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

multijoe posted:

It reads better

I disagree. It looks like it should be pronounced Fryza.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Freeza is definitely worse to look at than Frieza. Looks way more like a 5 year old came up with it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone who says “Frieza” is a better spelling just has 20+ years of familiarity with it. Freeza is better.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TheHan posted:

I really like that Vegeta admits that he can't be like Beerus and return to being a callous rear end in a top hat for power. It was weird that he was willing to do the same thing he scolded Toppo for doing.

Now you mention it with Vegeta calling his bluff on being a cold bastard with the city part this does feel like that bit in the anime but with proper time to actually flesh it out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The author has the last say and all but I really wish Toriyama would just leave Bardock alone. He was done better when he was written by the person behind his special, Minus Bardock sucked and now we're going into Episode of Bardock territory.

The fight itself was cool even if it was yet another moment of Vegeta's character development disappearing, but at least it tried to justify it this time. Hopefully we can get past that forever.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Nanigans posted:

Viz tends to err towards more faithful/direct translations than Funimation. Hence why Viz gives us “Freeza,” “Majin Boo,” and “Vegerot” to Funimation’s “Frieza,” “Majin Buu” and “Vegito.”

They’re both fine and correct.

viz sucks

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm going to withold any judgment about this Bardock thing until it comes out, I feel like it could go either way as far as good or bad but since it's DB, just going to keep my expectations low and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed the chapter and I hope the arc does something interesting with the Heeters assuming they'll end up as the main villains.

Actually just realizing that Broly is canon, technically Granolah should be much much stronger than he's been if he's supposed to even surpass Broly's strength as well.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm going to withold any judgment about this Bardock thing until it comes out, I feel like it could go either way as far as good or bad but since it's DB, just going to keep my expectations low and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed the chapter and I hope the arc does something interesting with the Heeters assuming they'll end up as the main villains.

Actually just realizing that Broly is canon, technically Granolah should be much much stronger than he's been if he's supposed to even surpass Broly's strength as well.

Broly was super chill when he made the wish, completely relaxed for once. No power up at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Whether you like Frieza as a name or not Freeza looks awful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

friiza

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

Whether you like Frieza as a name or not Freeza looks awful.

Not really? It comes from "freezer". And Frieza looks like it should be pronounced "Fryza".

Though I'm partial to just Freezer myself, having grown up with that name, but Freeza makes sense with the kana.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Freeza is better. It’s a pun on freezer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean no one bats an eye at the family members being named Cold, Cooler, Chilled and the alternate universe version being Frost

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I mean no one bats an eye at the family members being named Cold, Cooler, Chilled and the alternate universe version being Frost

good point. let's change those

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Couled Kewller Chylled Frozt

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hatty posted:

Couled Kewller Chylled Frozt

*bangs gavel* and that's it. it's Frieza, Couled, Kewller, Chylled, and Frozt. call them anything else and I'm starting the argument back up

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Do not bring Bardock into this! Please!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Read the chapter, cool beans until the end and now it's time to hear about how this directly relates to Goku's dad the most important mid level grunt.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not really? It comes from "freezer". And Frieza looks like it should be pronounced "Fryza".

Though I'm partial to just Freezer myself, having grown up with that name, but Freeza makes sense with the kana.

I know where it comes from. Doesn’t make it look any less stupid and looks horrible

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I’m fine with all the other Frieza family names except chilled which sucks.

Buy so does chilled

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Dutch ie is pronounced exactly like the ee in Freeza. So Frieza is perfect. Checkmate. :smug:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth TNT posted:

Dutch ie is pronounced exactly like the ee in Freeza. So Frieza is perfect. Checkmate. :smug:

I'll be dead in the cold cold ground before I ever concede anything to the Dutch!!!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Hoping Bardock's role is as simple as him just starting to have his bigger Frieza doubts because of whatever happened there.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I'm expecting it to be that Bardock saw Granolah and his mom, got radio'd to find out if there were any other survivors, and lied and said no.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Saiya-jin

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bardock from the OVA is such a better character but I've had to accept that this new, more boring version of bardock is the canon one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean Majin Boo fits into the Bibidi-Babidi-Boo reference that Punmaster Toriyama was shooting for. I don't like it personally, I think tweaking the spelling to Buu (and Frieza for that matter) makes the names seem more alien/otherworldly, but when the names are intentional jokes or references to stuff, spelling them outright is kinda more faithful

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 20, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why is Vegerot acceptable anywhere?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

hatty posted:

I've been a Dragonball fan for decades and this is literally the first time I've heard of it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Burkion posted:

I do wonder if Hit, going all out, could have killed Jiren in a 'real' fight before Jiren knew what his deal was

since his plan was just to go until time runs out, wouldnt killing jiren be easier and have (nearly) the exact same result? 1:1 regardless

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

viz actually calls him Djinn Boo lol

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Boo only works in English anyway. Buu is close to the sound you want.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

hatty posted:

It should be Vegeta

With the Vegeta from Vegeta and the A from Kakkarot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vegito doesn't make any sense but it's still better than Vegerot. Vegerotta would at least make sense but isn't great either

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s Bejitto (Vegetto) in Japanese from Bejita (Vegeta) and Kakkarotto (Kakarot).

When it’s Vegeta and Kakarot, Vegito makes no sense.

Vegerot is a terrible, horrible name, but it is technically more accurate to the English translation, and technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vegerot sounds like the poops you get from eating bad greens