Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

just many loving shots.

also a lot of lol lost the record for these ones, yes you have your shot card but my system says you don’t have it so I’m giving it to you again.

only thing I didn’t get multiple times was the anthrax series.

you and me both.

Vox Nihili posted:

They aren't "hardwired", they're taught to be that way

Yes, they are. There have been multiple studies on this and there are innate personality types that gravitate to political views. Of course there are exceptions, but there is a certain core percentage of the population that's just that way. Fox News is less teaching people than it is pressing buttons that already exist.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/are-your-political-beliefs-hardwired-108090437/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/conservative-and-liberal-brains-might-have-some-real-differences/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/04/are-liberals-and-conservatives-hard-wired-to-disagree/237075/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

MysteriousStranger posted:

I've got news for Tucker about the vaccines you get in the military before you go anywhere overseas.

Don’t they get vaccines that are still experimental and not even given to anyone else?

Edit; oh yeah they got the anthrax vaccine lol

Glumwheels fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 21, 2021

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Glumwheels posted:

Don’t they get vaccines that are still experimental and not even given to anyone else?

Yep. You get experimental poo poo, you get poo poo they don't tell you what it is, you get poo poo they know causes issues and there is gently caress all you can do about it. And often you go get it all over again because someone lost your records. Hell we got batteries of all sorts of shots at the time, other fun things like wisdom teeth pulled while not put under just local and then marched back to training with a mouth full of blood and gauze.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zantie posted:

Hello and good Monday to you all! Updated weekly Cases/Hospitalizations/Deaths update from Washington State in animated form:

Cases:

https://i.imgur.com/9Tw9i6b.mp4

Hospitalizations:

https://i.imgur.com/jL7L8gJ.mp4

Deaths:

https://i.imgur.com/hWWdNcM.mp4

post this to /r/dataisbeautiful immediately

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Korean Boomhauer posted:

my sister walked out on a cushy high paying job because of it and is now looking at homelessness

Uh was she also paying seven mortgages? How is she already looking at homelessness?

She doesn't have kids I hope?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zantie posted:

Hello and good Monday to you all! Updated weekly Cases/Hospitalizations/Deaths update from Washington State in animated form:

Cases:

https://i.imgur.com/9Tw9i6b.mp4

Hospitalizations:

https://i.imgur.com/jL7L8gJ.mp4

Deaths:

https://i.imgur.com/hWWdNcM.mp4

This is really fuckin cool. Thanks for posting. Helps me display to people - things are worse than they initially seem!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Iron Crowned posted:

All of my nightmares revolve around me being somewhere and realizing that I'm not wearing a mask, and then I have to sneak back to my car or apartment to get it.

The last few days, they've been where I'm somewhere and I can't even get to a mask so I have to sit there and deal with being around the infectoids.

i'll trade you, I keep getting increasingly elaborate "oh god i'm unconscious and on a vent and going to die if I don't wake up, I have to wake up quick!" nightmares where i'm trapped in a horrifying, actively decaying silent hill version of my apartment where no matter what I do I can't get the front door to stay closed but maybe if I shoulder slam the door hard enough I can keep the grim spectre of death out of my living room long enough to figure out how to wake myself up

then I wake up into a barely-waking sleep paralysis nightmare until my alarm goes off

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Since this thing isn't going away, it's well past time I upgraded my mask situation. So far I've depend on home-made cloth masks and blue surgical masks.

What is the current mask advice?

Are there any reusable cloth masks people would recommend for large heads?
Or should I depend on N95/KN95 masks only? (Which is better?)

Any recommended vendors/brands?

I'm not around people often at all and would prefer not to use a respirator. Thanks in advance.

A mask is only as good as its seal on your face, N95s are only approved with straps that go around your head for good reason.

I never feel like I have a good seal with KN95s and ear straps, they leak especially bad on the bridge of my nose

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hey everyone i made a really good chicken shawarma tonight for meal prep, just wondering how everyone's

blatman posted:

i'll trade you, I keep getting increasingly elaborate "oh god i'm unconscious and on a vent and going to die if I don't wake up, I have to wake up quick!" nightmares where i'm trapped in a horrifying, actively decaying silent hill version of my apartment where no matter what I do I can't get the front door to stay closed but maybe if I shoulder slam the door hard enough I can keep the grim spectre of death out of my living room long enough to figure out how to wake myself up

then I wake up into a barely-waking sleep paralysis nightmare until my alarm goes off

oh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

you and me both.

Yes, they are. There have been multiple studies on this and there are innate personality types that gravitate to political views. Of course there are exceptions, but there is a certain core percentage of the population that's just that way. Fox News is less teaching people than it is pressing buttons that already exist.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/are-your-political-beliefs-hardwired-108090437/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/conservative-and-liberal-brains-might-have-some-real-differences/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/04/are-liberals-and-conservatives-hard-wired-to-disagree/237075/

What entj are Communists?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

you and me both.

the study shows that there's a physical neurological response.

do you think that environmental factors can change their brain response

do you think a change in environment factors such as different media consumption would change that response

your first link literally says this:

quote:

One of the study’s authors, Ryota Kanai, cautioned against jumping to conclusions. The scientists found nothing to indicate that political orientation is encoded in the brain, or that brain structure alone can shape the way you vote.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

My partner Max Titered over the weekend and then decided to get the flu shot this morning at work, and now he is completely hosed up on flu-like side effects from both shots :laffo:

I did that too.

Tell your partner that they are of weak stock

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bar Ran Dun posted:

just many loving shots.

also a lot of lol lost the record for these ones, yes you have your shot card but my system says you don’t have it so I’m giving it to you again.

only thing I didn’t get multiple times was the anthrax series.

I've got a brother who has been in for about 25 years now and he was running the numbers and thinks he's probably in the running for the most vaccinated person in America. He got shot for Smallpox four times.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6997264615939788037

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

crepeface posted:

Done!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PerniciousKnid posted:

What entj are Communists?

communists are house slytherin because they strive to overthrow power structures and remake institutions by their principles. :downs:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

countdown till this is deleted

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

McNugget Buddy posted:

Israel says antibodies from natural infection are good for 3 months

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1440138635693617153

i loving wish literally anyone in the US was doing literally any studies at all about covid. no one is. it's either emergency rooms adlibbing based on which thing they did that killed only 8 patients out of 10 instead of all 10 and liberal thinktanks making poo poo up that focus grouped really well and saying that it was a study. there isn't any science about anything. no one looks at trends or does real models. it's all either political bullshit or disaster management.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

do they approve new submissions because it's not showing up yet

zone
Dec 6, 2016

it's gonna be fun when the chud policemen walk off the job finally, they're not needed

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1440108417125736448

"Joe Biden is genociding the troops" - the top rated news program in America

The Navy SEALS are regularly putting far weirder poo poo into their bodies than mRNA vaccines

just tell them its research chemicals meant to help them never need to sleep again. they'll take it without hesitation.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

crepeface posted:

the best part about it is that you really do need it to be a time series. without it updating like that you can't see the insidious effect of having cases post-dated. it makes it seem like on any given day things are getting better, even when they are in fact getting dramatically worse.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

crepeface posted:

countdown till this is deleted

Well it's got a few upvotes atm...maybe I should've put in flashing arrows indicating Thanksgiving, Christmas, and "Open Biden" to get more mod attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/psa86c/oc_excel_progression_of_covid19_cases_in/

Zantie fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 21, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

zone posted:

it's gonna be fun when the chud policemen walk off the job finally, they're not needed

they were never needed. they are completely unnecessary. the cops are just a violent armed gang. gently caress the police.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so the guy who filmed the Rodney King beating in 1991 died of covid the other day

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

This is really fuckin cool. Thanks for posting. Helps me display to people - things are worse than they initially seem!

No problem. I'm hoping to post the new editions(additions?) every Monday when the state updates the weekly report.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There is plausible and justifiable reason for a person to be suspicious of the exact numbers China has declared for COVID, sure. As a general rule you can probably always assume that any organization or individual, unless you know them personally, is going to always exaggerate things a little to present themselves in the best light, that's normal. But the thing is, there is literally no plausible way to deny that China has gotten COVID under control. We know the methods China is using, and we know these are methods that absolutely can and should work. If someone wants to claim that the situation in China is starkly different from what China is claiming, then they have to either provide an explanation for how and why it is that despite using all the proper NPIs China is still seeing mass death and uncontrolled spread, or else how and why it is that despite the Western media making such a big deal out of the draconian lockdowns and quarantines and authoritarian contact tracing measures, China's actually not employed meaningful NPIs and is in fact taking the same non-approach as the West.

To my knowledge, no denialist has ever done either. They claim that China is enacting these NPIs that any sane person with half a brain knows would work against basically any and every disease that isn't like in the water supply or something, and yet somehow claim that China is still seeing uncontrolled spread just as bad as the rest of the world.

There is literally no way to deny the broad strokes of China's claims without denying either the germ theory of disease or that China has enacted certain measures, measures so widely accepted that nearly all of these denialists have also spent much time and energy decrying them as authoritarian.

I posted this before and this thread moves too fast so here it is again:

My inlaws in China have not experienced any of these draconian measures, neither has the vast majority of the population. Their town has never had a single case of Covid. They've never been obliged to wear a mask in public. They've never had a lockdown, or the closure of any businesses or public gatherings and they've never worked from home. They don't know anyone who's ever had Covid. They know one person who personally knows of one person who had it and recovered, in some other province. The only way their lives have been touched by the pandemic at all are that they have contact tracing apps on their phone that they sometimes need to use for public gatherings and transport, they got vaccines, with pretty much no side effects (inactivated virus vaccines usually don't have any), and for a period in 2020, schools went virtual - this was a national policy with no exceptions, even in places that don't have a single case, I guess the Chinese just don't care about education the way Americans do.

This is what "draconian measures" look like. The whole loving point of enforcing strict quarantine measures for a small subset of the population that gets infected is so that they don't go on to infect exponentially more people and cause exponentially bigger draconian lockdowns. Like even reading about NZ's "draconian" lockdowns, apparently a lot of their positive cases are from family members of people who test positive? In China just recently a 4 year old child was found to be positive and she was locked in a room immediately and her meals are brought in by healthcare workers in hazmat suits. Why would she be allowed to return to her family, so that they too will become infected and thus require more quarantines? The entire western world, even NZ, apparently forgets how diseases work as soon as you do something draconian like make them stay in a room alone for a week away from their mommies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Local hospital ICU is full and they are opening a 3rd covid floor.

Icu never filled completely during the last waves

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

kalensc posted:

Uh was she also paying seven mortgages? How is she already looking at homelessness?

She doesn't have kids I hope?

the majority of it went up her nose, if i had to wager. she never saves money and it usually gets spent on stupid poo poo iirc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lovelyn posted:

Yes, and even though intellectually I know it's peanuts, the food deliveries really do go a long way. When we have more than like 1-2 deaths management will usually buy us something, but once in a while we get it from the community. The truly sinister thing is when our hospital posts poo poo like this on insta:

and then this on fb:

I’m not clear on what’s going on here, are people pretending to donate food to the hospital? Or are they donating food instead of money against the hospital’s request?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

My inlaws in China have not experienced any of these draconian measures, neither has the vast majority of the population. Their town has never had a single case of Covid. They've never been obliged to wear a mask in public. They've never had a lockdown, or the closure of any businesses or public gatherings and they've never worked from home. They don't know anyone who's ever had Covid. They know one person who personally knows of one person who had it and recovered, in some other province. The only way their lives have been touched by the pandemic at all are that they have contact tracing apps on their phone that they sometimes need to use for public gatherings and transport, they got vaccines, with pretty much no side effects (inactivated virus vaccines usually don't have any), and for a period in 2020, schools went virtual - this was a national policy with no exceptions, even in places that don't have a single case, I guess the Chinese just don't care about education the way Americans do.

This is what "draconian measures" look like. The whole loving point of enforcing strict quarantine measures for a small subset of the population that gets infected is so that they don't go on to infect exponentially more people and cause exponentially bigger draconian lockdowns. Like even reading about NZ's "draconian" lockdowns, apparently a lot of their positive cases are from family members of people who test positive? In China just recently a 4 year old child was found to be positive and she was locked in a room immediately and her meals are brought in by healthcare workers in hazmat suits. Why would she be allowed to return to her family, so that they too will become infected and thus require more quarantines? The entire western world, even NZ, apparently forgets how diseases work as soon as you do something draconian like make them stay in a room alone for a week away from their mommies.

good post

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

sounds awful. i'm glad we aren't like china

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

do they approve new submissions because it's not showing up yet

sort by 'new'

Zantie posted:

Well it's got a few upvotes atm...maybe I should've put in flashing arrows indicating Thanksgiving, Christmas, and "Open Biden" to get more mod attention.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/psa86c/oc_excel_progression_of_covid19_cases_in/

i think you can't see the score until a few hours later unless you're the OP.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've been spending some time looking at advertisements on Youtube from June 2020 to now and it's all "WE'RE REOPENING! EVERYTHING IS NORMAL AGAIN! SPEND SPEND SPEND! BACK TO NORMAL!"

Literally prehistoric man lighting the fire and saying the magic words over and over again and expecting the spirits to respond

lol that describes this poo poo perfectly

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've been spending some time looking at advertisements on Youtube from June 2020 to now and it's all "WE'RE REOPENING! EVERYTHING IS NORMAL AGAIN! SPEND SPEND SPEND! BACK TO NORMAL!"

Literally prehistoric man lighting the fire and saying the magic words over and over again and expecting the spirits to respond

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the reddit algorithm uses both upvotes and replies to determine the position on the front page, so if more people post on it it will be more likely to garner attention

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/fspieler/status/1439944006553817093

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lathespin.gif posted:

respirator and cartridge data dump, all weights in grams :crabdrugs:

3M 2297, p100 w/ nuisance organic vapor rating. killer for wildfire smoke here in :ca: or catboxes or other stinky things, great for general shop grinding/sanding particulate use, helps a bit with random solvents for parts cleaning etc. but pick something stronger for real paint booth type use, packs small, fits under a welding hood well, not ideal for washdown or rain etc, but Real Nice. costs a couple bucks more than the basic 2091/2097 pink pancake, but breathes easier and still cheap at :10bux: a set. pre-pandemic use this is my favorite all-around filter.

~20g a pair, standard 3m bayonet mount for 6000/7000 series

3M 7093, p100 with hard shell housing, good for washdown/water and the preferred filter for pandemic/medical/bio use, weights a bit more, easy to wipe down for decon, easy neg. pressure checks, less vulnerable to physical hazards like sharp corners/tearing than the 2xxx style pancakes. 7093B is apparently the same thing in (B)ulk packaging.

~73g a pair, standard 3m bayo mount

3M 7093C, p100 with Hydrogen Fluoride, and nuisance level organic vapor/acid gas. slightly taller and heavier than the basic 7093, may be more Cool Zone or random chemical hazards appropriate, filter material looks to have a bit of screen/wire over the paper filter media internally, otherwise basically the same dang thing.

~92g a pair, std. bayo mount

3M 60926, multi gas/vapor cartridge with p100, the goddamn Cadillac of 3M carts. heavy, expensive, and mad overkill for simple bio hazards, but some Good poo poo to have in reserve. the 60923 cart. is usually cheaper and nearly as good if it's what you can find/afford, but has less broad-spectrum protection for vapors/gases from solvents/fumes/expired tear gas/dangerous poo poo/etc.

for both of these once you take them out of the pack, the charcoal/catalysts start chooching off whatever exposure they can find in the air, so keep 'em sealed in a ziploc when not in use.

~300g a pair, maybe ~290 minus packaging but these fuckers stay sealed unless needed so IDK. they are dang heavy tho. standard bayo mount.

3M D3091, p100 for Secure Click masks. the new hotness, cute pink, pretty light, easy breathing. no protection from vapors/gases, but a solid everyday p100. they feel pretty resistant to tearing/physical damage, but I haven't tried to gently caress one up on purpose. good stuff for particulates/smoke or everyday bio-hazardous coworkers, etc.

~30g a pair, secureclickTM mount for HF-800 series masks

3M 80923, OV/AG/p100 for SecureClick, not as good as the 80926 but cheaper and still solid. plastic cart may be better in the rain than the plain p100 carts, but I haven't tried yet.

~250g a pair

3M 80926, multi gas/vapor/p100 for SecureClick. top-tier protection for all airborne threats, but likely mad overkill most days and heavy to boot.

~290g a pair

okay that's all well and good to have nice filters, but you need the dang respirator to strap them to yr face! here we go.

3M 6000 series, basic hardware store/shop model, works fine, a 6200 lives at work in a top toolbox, probably not as comfy on yr face as upgraded models but still solid esp. if it's free. front vent. does allow use of stock 3M item #604 for a source control/exhale filter, if that's yr bag (and you can find one). also probably fits those sweet etsy skelly-bones add-ons, for sickos :sickos:

comes in 6100(small), 6200 (med) 6300(large)

~???g, it's at work and it's the weekend, but I'll maybe try and remember to bring my scale in later.

3M 6501QL, size Small 6500 series, quick latch. a really nice mask, the QL version is great for letting the respirator dangle from it's straps while talking to a co-worker in the before-times, or having a quick water break, etc. nice stuff, uses the bayo mount carts, you probably want the 6502 for size Medium, unless you know otherwise. also comes in 6503/Large for big schnozzes like my dad. my 6502QL has been my go-to work hazard/wildfire smoke/car bailout respirator for years now and is still solid. bottom vent, glasses/goggles never fog and fit on the nose okay-ish mostly

110g for the size small, the med is obv. a bit more but ???

3M 7502, size med 7500 series. a slight comfort upgrade from the 6500, but no quick latch for coffee breaks, not that it matters as much now. fits bayos, bottom vent, etc.

134g.

3M 6800 (medium) full face. it's like a dang glove, for your whole face. neat, sweaty, heavy. no speaking diaphragm, that's even heavier and more $$. bottom vent.

409g.

3M HF-802, secure click medium. a bit bulkier, heavier, and my stash of old 3m filters don't fit, goddang it! however it is pretty comfy, my nose does breathe better, neg. pressure checks are sweet and the speech diaphragm seems pretty decent. you should probably just skip to getting this, if you want something better at hand than a 3m aura n95/kf94/kn95.

190g.

honorable mention: the GVS Elipse/Miller LPR-100, a compact p100 mask that packs away great. ~44g filters, ~140g loaded respirator, ~250g packed with case and spare filters. it's not as comfortable for me as the 3m's, but man is it nice for a fire/etc bailout kit.

also: safety glasses! if you are so inclined, or also happen to work with machine tools, and/or if you don't wanna go full goggle, you can get 'em with foam face seals now, that while not gas-tight are quite likely better for a sneeze and def. better for random bouncing chips/grinding crud/crawling around under a car. I like the 3m Virtua and Solus ones, although the solus lenses only really fit my face with the goggle strap, not the standard arms. anti-fog wet wipes are kinda-sorta required but I usually only need a couple a week, if I'm working with well sealing masks/respirators.

in conclusion :bagl:

Tzen posted:

good post
also thank you for the glasses recommend, i've been using some cycling glasses and they're fine but they do leave some big gaps which i'd rather not have
gonna buy these from zoro, https://www.zoro.com/3m-safety-glasses-wraparound-gray-polycarbonate-lens-anti-fog-s1107sgaf-kt/i/G7263002/
update to this, i got those glasses in the mail today
they're loving amazing
fit perfectly to my face, even make somewhat of a seal
also tried to purposely fog them up, by wearing a bad cloth mask and breathing up, these things still didn't fog up
thanks for the recommend, a+++ would buy from zoro again

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

when i originally bookmarked the worldometer tracker it saved the cases and deaths at that time

let's see what it is now

:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Tzen posted:

lol that describes this poo poo perfectly

it's a really good analogy. i don't think most people realize how much they write off as magic and don't understand. there's all these people questioning the science about the vaccine, complaining that they don't understand it, and doing so on a phone that they understand literally nothing about. people don't know how cars work, or how planes stay in the air, or how a refrigerator makes things cold, or how anything with electricity functions. everything is just magic to them, it works because it does, there are no underlying unseen mechanisms to understand, just the reality that they can physically manipulate. if everything else is magic, then maybe the magic will also extend to things like covid.