Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

therobit posted:

Some people like having yards.

Lawns are one of the most ridiculous excesses of suburbia. The water consumption alone is unconscionable. If postwar America had not invented the idea no one would consider a huge lawn and a two-car garage as remotely reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DoctorWhat posted:

Lawns are one of the most ridiculous excesses of suburbia. The water consumption alone is unconscionable. If postwar America had not invented the idea no one would consider a huge lawn and a two-car garage as remotely reasonable.

I never water my scraggly rear end lawn, and I have about as much shrubbery as lawn anyway. But I like being able to have my kids play outside, I like having a dog and chickens, and a garage to sink around in. It’s pretty great, and costs me less than an apartment two miles closer in.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Having a garage is reasonable, but I only have a lawn because I rent and have no say in the matter. The landscapers mow it, so at least all I have to do is pretend to water it sometimes.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sigh. My Dad finally went Nextdoor, and linked me to a Lightning strike in Irvine. Sorry Dad, I am not signing up just to see you and your neighbors stare bewildered at the first time OC has lightning in a decade.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Try and tell us our future's at stake
And we're gonna slam dance on your grave
Because we don't give a poo poo about tomorrow

Hey suburbia, hey suburbia, hey suburbia
We're in love with you

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Lawns are neither limited to the suburbs nor the only thing that people have in their yards. If I ever am able to buy something I plan to have native plants in my yard

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lawns and green space is awesome if you live in a place where stuff just grows all the time. Watering the lawn is something rain does, and it never dies or anything unless someone or something digs it up or does donuts on it or something.

You can even stop mowing some places for a week or two and let random trees and flowers sprout up.

People who water their lawns are a minority in a lot of America and you're weird if you think otherwise.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We want to replace the grass we have with clover or moss, just something that doesn't grow too tall and that we wouldn't have to mow.

Our neighbors who treat their lawn and mow multiple times a week probably look at us with disgust, but we just don't care about the purity of grass or whatever.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

food not lawns!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

Lawns and green space is awesome if you live in a place where stuff just grows all the time. Watering the lawn is something rain does, and it never dies or anything unless someone or something digs it up or does donuts on it or something.

You can even stop mowing some places for a week or two and let random trees and flowers sprout up.

People who water their lawns are a minority in a lot of America and you're weird if you think otherwise.

Exactly!

I'm turning my front lawn into an informal orchard, and have flowerbeds filled with dahlias. It's awesome.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Plant mint instead. Smells nice, you can eat it, and your annoying neighbors will die of aneurysms when it takes over their yard in a week

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Meme Poker Party posted:

Cool snakes itt.

a noticeable lack of tits, though. hmm

OGDanDogg posted:

It's still a loose dog in suburbia, but really?

lmao

what really is a coyote? maybe someday, scientists will discover the answer to this question

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if there was a novel, and it was very weird, and every character in the novel was awful and mean and hateful and scared and racist and weird, and there were lots of extremely explicit sex scenes that were also creepy and gross, and there was a story, and it was a sad and crushingly depressing story, and no one learned anything, and nothing too dramatic or meaningful happened, and the whole thing was autobiographical??

what you have just described is colloquially known as 'life'

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

sure but the problem is out west in states where stuff doesn't "just grow all the time" lawns are still popular because of that american suburban aesthetic. not just with home owners but with hotels and corporate office parks and so on. its changing slowly but not enough

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
the nextdoor is coming from inside the thread

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Earwicker posted:

sure but the problem is out west in states where stuff doesn't "just grow all the time" lawns are still popular because of that american suburban aesthetic. not just with home owners but with hotels and corporate office parks and so on. its changing slowly but not enough

So your argument is that nobody should have a yard because most people will want to have a lawn and then other people who live in an environment where a lawn would need to be watered might decide they need a lawn too?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

therobit posted:

So your argument is that nobody should have a yard because most people will want to have a lawn and then other people who live in an environment where a lawn would need to be watered might decide they need a lawn too?

what the gently caress? when did i say "nobody should have a yard"?

im saying the suburban "lawn aesthetic" is popular in areas where, due to the climate, it results in a massive amount of water waste. i think it would be better if people and companies in those areas grew native plants or use other styles of yard or garden that do not result in that amount of water wastage. i have no idea how you got "nobody should have a yard" from what i said

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 21, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

knuthgrush posted:

food not lawns!

This needs to be a new X-Files episode.

Pink flamingos and front yard in-ground pools, and chickens and peas and cabbage and

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm saying nobody should have a yard

That land could be used for food production or industrial manufacture

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
An HOA except all properties must conform to my perfectly efficient factorio map

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Just gonna start smelting some pig iron on Saturdays as a side gig.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I saw a home in northern CA where the owner converted the front yard into a pumpkin patch :dafuq:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I saw a home in northern CA where the owner converted the front yard into a pumpkin patch :dafuq:

sounds cool, you could even make some extra money around Halloween

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JackBandit posted:

An HOA except all properties must conform to my perfectly efficient factorio map

Those fuckers keep citing me for my pipe spaghetti and yet they won't even keep the goddamn turrets fed enough to stop the biters from getting into the neighborhood. What do I even pay HOA fees for?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Earwicker posted:

im saying the suburban "lawn aesthetic" is popular in areas where, due to the climate, it results in a massive amount of water waste. i think it would be better if people and companies in those areas grew native plants or use other styles of yard or garden that do not result in that amount of water wastage. i have no idea how you got "nobody should have a yard" from what i said

Sorry, I confused you and Dr. What who started lawnchat by saying that lawns are terrible in response to my statement that some people like having a yard and it is one reason a person might prefer the suburban lifestyle to the city.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Play posted:

sounds cool, you could even make some extra money around Halloween

Well, balanced against the costs of ammunition to defend them from random people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Xeriscaping is cool and good, plant stuff that is supposed to grow where you are and not only will it look better but you also won't have to water or fertilize them anywhere near as often as non-native grasses or decoratives.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I will protect my .2 acres with my life! I have a small lawn in the front, and it looks pretty decent without water.

I had a nice lawn in the back, but I'm now surrounded by trees and other light blocking items, so I'm getting dirt patches. I could give a poo poo. I have a fire pit, and with all the trees around I always have stuff to burn. Kind would of liked some sun in the back for a small garden, but I'm lazy as poo poo anyway.

I had a privacy fence when I moved in, but the back part has since fallen in a hurricane, but now Ivy is taking over, and I've put some stakes/wire in the back for it to grow on. It'll eventually fall, too, but who cares.

A new house was built on one side, and installed a privacy fence, so now I'm just waiting for my back and right neighbors houses to get demolished and rebuilt full with privacy fence.

this fence is your fence, this fence is my fence
for-ever, and for-ever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sydin posted:

Those fuckers keep citing me for my pipe spaghetti and yet they won't even keep the goddamn turrets fed enough to stop the biters from getting into the neighborhood. What do I even pay HOA fees for?

Without a HOA the letsgameitout guy would be lowering all our property framerates!!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, balanced against the costs of ammunition to defend them from random people.

Theres a bit of an ammo shortage going on right now, I wonder how much more expensive hevi-shot is compared to regular lead shot.

You're right though, gotta defend them puckins though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

What’s your metric for massive? Some quick googling suggested that while most agencies investigating water use are strangely tight lipped about separating water use of individual people from water use of industries, agriculture, golf courses, etc i found a stat from California that said 10% of the usage was for homes/apartments etc. additionally I found a stat that between 30-60% of water usage in such a case is for irrigation, ie: suburbia lawns. So if we split that in the middle, 45% of 10% is 4.5% of the states total water usage.

Now compare that to what they use on almonds and it’s p clear this is just another dumb trend of trying to blame poo poo on the decadence of proles rather than addressing the actual issues.

FWIW I find my lawn annoying and would rather swap it for something like terraced native plants (lmao HOA’s suck) but I don’t begrudge my neighbors, particularly those with kids that play in the lawns, for having something that makes them happier. If water concern is an issue I’d rather go after the numerous commercial spenders first that are making bank off lopsided contracts where they spend a communal resource for their own profit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If I had an HOA I would probably get kicked out of the neighborhood. Luckily I’m not even incorporated so it has to rise to the level of the county giving a poo poo. Unfortunately the boomer across the back fence calls in everybody for everything he can, because he’s a dick. When he comes over to discuss something between our two properties he won’t talk to my wife and will insist on talking to me. He treats women like they don’t exist when they try to participate in the conversation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

What’s your metric for massive? Some quick googling suggested that while most agencies investigating water use are strangely tight lipped about separating water use of individual people from water use of industries, agriculture, golf courses, etc i found a stat from California that said 10% of the usage was for homes/apartments etc. additionally I found a stat that between 30-60% of water usage in such a case is for irrigation, ie: suburbia lawns. So if we split that in the middle, 45% of 10% is 4.5% of the states total water usage.

Now compare that to what they use on almonds and it’s p clear this is just another dumb trend of trying to blame poo poo on the decadence of proles rather than addressing the actual issues.

FWIW I find my lawn annoying and would rather swap it for something like terraced native plants (lmao HOA’s suck) but I don’t begrudge my neighbors, particularly those with kids that play in the lawns, for having something that makes them happier. If water concern is an issue I’d rather go after the numerous commercial spenders first that are making bank off lopsided contracts where they spend a communal resource for their own profit.

I will cop to using a sprinkler if and only if my kids are running through it on a hot day. They have to wear sandals though because my lawn is brown and crunchy in the summer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
For the concerned environmentalist the deplorable waste of lawn, toilet, bath, shower, etc is dwarfed by industrial and agricultural use.

It's nice to feel like you're doing your part to xeriscape and place anchors and chains (seaside living) in your rock garden.

Well, we all play the fiddle and polish the brass. Sometimes it's just nice to show you care in a different way. Going against the grahahahahahah

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

10% of the usage was for homes/apartments etc. additionally I found a stat that between 30-60% of water usage in such a case is for irrigation, ie: suburbia lawns. So if we split that in the middle, 45% of 10% is 4.5% of the states total water usage.

this is why i specifically said the issue is not just homeowners but also corporate office parks, hotels, golf courses, etc.

quote:

of course corporate agriculture is a substantially bigger problem than lawns, i'm not denying that at all.

all i'm saying is the popular american "lawn aesthetic" is no good in the west and it would be better if replaced with native plant growth. is growing almonds and pistachios in a climate where that can't be sustained an ever bigger problem? of course it is, but the discussion was about lawns. one problem being bigger than another problem doesn't make the second problem non-existent or undiscussable

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Western Oregon and Western Washington an sustain lawns easily. Probably a lot of coastal CA as well. Of course AZ, CO, NM, NV, the desert parts of CA, and several other places l shouldn’t be growing lawns. They also shouldn’t have golf courses and nut trees and large scale irrigated farming, which are what is actually draining the Colorado River. Saying suburbia is bad because lawns is super reductive.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

therobit posted:

Western Oregon and Western Washington an sustain lawns easily. Probably a lot of coastal CA as well. Of course AZ, CO, NM, NV, the desert parts of CA, and several other places l shouldn’t be growing lawns. They also shouldn’t have golf courses and nut trees and large scale irrigated farming, which are what is actually draining the Colorado River. Saying suburbia is bad because lawns is super reductive.

Somewhere there is a senator from NJ or NV fighting to illegalize everything. And Joe Pesci is their unofficial mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Peggy’s right.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

A Strange Aeon posted:

We want to replace the grass we have with clover or moss, just something that doesn't grow too tall and that we wouldn't have to mow.

Our neighbors who treat their lawn and mow multiple times a week probably look at us with disgust, but we just don't care about the purity of grass or whatever.

I don't know where you live but round here I'll grow white clover 2-3 foot tall. I'd describe it as mow once or twice yearly. Pretty fertile round here though.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
rip nextdoor thread

Thought of lawns and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DrPossum posted:

rip nextdoor thread

Thought of lawns and died

I was thinking it was kind of like the Boomer thread, where inevitably the thread began to resemble the very thing it was mocking.