Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

th3t00t posted:

I think the new guy looks more like my head cannon for Mat anyways. So I'm fine with it.

Yeah the new guy is better looking overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

We've seen like 10 seconds of Barney Harris acting and he looked like he had the most personality of the boys so i can't say i'm happy about the loss. It is what it is though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tried to find clips of the new guy on the Witcher, cannot for the life of me

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think he was one of the two village people who were hooking up in the stable right before we met Yennefer? I'm basing this on a blurry picture of his face in the episode and a vague recollection, I don't have Netflix right now to check

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

th3t00t posted:

I think the new guy looks more like my head cannon for Mat anyways. So I'm fine with it.

Yeah me too. I think the biggest thing is dark eyes. Though his head shot looks more prankster to me also.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I think he was one of the two village people who were hooking up in the stable right before we met Yennefer? I'm basing this on a blurry picture of his face in the episode and a vague recollection, I don't have Netflix right now to check

MAJOR CAST MEMBER ON WITCHER lol

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Barreft posted:

It's pretty bad. The whole first season sets his story arc up. I guess they can use the dagger to corrupt him visually and the new guy looks kinda like him

They could always have an actual in-universe reason for it, since Siuan and Leane literally have ‘my face changed into someone unrecognizable’ happen when they get stilled. They even mention that they don’t look like their younger selves, something with Saidar actually actor-changed them.

For a more funny option, have it be a side effect of the portal stones - Rand accidentally ends up on the wrong planet with everything the same except Mat, and the series just plays it straight except for Lews Therin occasionally making a comment on how Rand hosed up.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 22, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Goreld posted:

They could always have an actual in-universe reason for it, since Siuan and Leane literally have ‘my face changed into someone unrecognizable’ happen when they get stilled. They even mention that they don’t look like their younger selves, something with Saidar actually actor-changed them.

For a more funny option, have it be a side effect of the portal stones - Rand accidentally ends up on the wrong planet with everything the same except Mat, and the series just plays it straight except for Lews Therin occasionally making a comment on how Rand hosed up.

Whitest_Tower_You_Know.mp3 "NOW YA hosed UP!"

Also it would be a great way to play into his paranoia and insanity

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Goreld posted:

WoT is already meta as gently caress about narrative tropes. I'm absolutely down for that meta-ness including like actor replacement now that visual narrative is part of its purview. It's absolutely on-brand.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Someday a studio is going to have the idea to try and do CGI face-matching with a new actor replacement and then they're going to slowly wind back the filter over a season until it's just the new actor's face and it's going to be loving wild.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
What fate? Burn your hearts, what fate???

To marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons!
To die and live again and live once more a part of what was!
To have a face that looks pretty different from your regular face!!!!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

LeGuin wrote a scathing critique of poor Katherine Kurtz over the Deryni books because she felt the magic in it wasn't magical enough, but just mechanics --

"From Elfland to Poughkeepsie"

There's a certain value in not explaining things too much -- in LeGuin and Tolkien and Dunsany you get a sign and a symbol and the magic flashes through the reader like the true lightning, stunning, electrifying, breathless. And some of that can be lost in the more "mechanical" modern fantasy.

But Jordan was trained as a nuclear engineer and he had a scientific mind, and the approach he took works for purposes of the story he's trying to tell -- at first it's all Wow! Such Magic! but as the story progresses the characters gain mastery and it all fits and looking backward you can say "oh, all the clues were there the whole time, that's how it works." Which is its own kind of fun.

It all depends on the execution. Brandon Sanderson is a 100 times more mechanical than Jordan ever was and his magic is great!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe it's just me but being self-referential about a swapped actor in an otherwis serious fantasy drama seems hokey as gently caress

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wrap it up, Lews Therin Telamailures.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Charlz Guybon posted:

It all depends on the execution. Brandon Sanderson is a 100 times more mechanical than Jordan ever was and his magic is great!

He had some pretty good writing rules on setting up a magic system. Even though he goes with way more mechanical in his books, he talks about ways it can be setup that are a lot less so. Either method works fine, you just need to do it well and I think WoT did it decently, but so did the Cosmere. Neither is better, they're just different.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

In the wildest timeline they replace mat every season.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anias posted:

In the wildest timeline they replace mat every season.

Still hoping Daniel Craig does a different accent every knives out movie with no explanation.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

jng2058 posted:

If you HAVE to lose Mat's actor, having it happen early so that Harris plays Dagger Mat and Finn plays Fortune's Fool Mat is probably the best case scenario...since they're practically different characters.

I mean obviously it sucks, but it isn't as bad as it could have been. :shrug:

Depending on how far Season 1 goes, this Mat sounds the horn, collapses into the near-coma he's in while he's carried across the continent to Tar Valon, when we pick up in season 2 with the TDR plot, he's covered in "emaciated plague victim" makeup and prosthetics, he's covered in the misty CG in the healing scene, and boom, we get his POV when we wakes up starving and confused.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Someday a studio is going to have the idea to try and do CGI face-matching with a new actor replacement and then they're going to slowly wind back the filter over a season until it's just the new actor's face and it's going to be loving wild.

Zack Snyder did it earlier this year for a movie: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2567891/why-tig-notaro-replaced-chris-delia-in-army-of-the-dead-and-how-they-did-it

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Test Pattern posted:

Depending on how far Season 1 goes, this Mat sounds the horn, collapses into the near-coma he's in while he's carried across the continent to Tar Valon, when we pick up in season 2 with the TDR plot, he's covered in "emaciated plague victim" makeup and prosthetics, he's covered in the misty CG in the healing scene, and boom, we get his POV when we wakes up starving and confused.

It could go, sure. I just don't know when they found out they were losing Harris. If Season One was already in the can, there may not have had time to move that scene up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They've been filming season 2 since July so presumably they knew by then unless this is a much more recent development. We'll find out eventually in either case.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I want Mat to change actors mid scene.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

silvergoose posted:

Still hoping Daniel Craig does a different accent every knives out movie with no explanation.

I’d be down for that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

RandolphCarter posted:

He walks upstairs to his room at the inn to sleep, next morning comes back down and if someone comments he says "I shaved."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I enjoyed Hafthor in GOT, so I am formally requesting he play Narg

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just going forward with Tig Notaro as Mat would be an absolutely amazing idea and they should do it.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Jaxyon posted:

Just going forward with Tig Notaro as Mat would be an absolutely amazing idea and they should do it.

Hahaha, I love it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nah, I mean the face in episode 1 becomes an entirely different face by episode 12 and they use digitally trickery to ease you into the replacement actor.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Change back and forth multiple times within the same scene

"That's ta'veren!" :v:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Change his actor based on the perspective of the person looking at him so he is exactly as charming or boyish looking as he needs in order for the Pattern to get the outcome it needs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And when he gives his best grin he's suddenly a Busey

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Change his actor based on the perspective of the person looking at him so he is exactly as charming or boyish looking as he needs in order for the Pattern to get the outcome it needs.

lol

I'm really excited for this TV show. I haven't read the Wheel of Time since A Memory of Light came out so I started re-reading it. I had been worried that, being older, I'd look less favorably on the writing. I still really like it though even if parts haven't aged that well.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Some of the content hasn’t aged well but the writing is top notch. Even if I hate some of the more puritanical stuff that makes it childish in spots, it was probably the correct decision. Just look at GoT for examples of things that don’t age well at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've read Eye too many times to "reread" it -- I read any given scene and my mind fills in the next and the next before I finish the first.

I don't think anybody, even Jordan, ever pretended that WoT was problem free. But it's always been better than it got credit for. I still think it should've won a Hugo at some point, but it was so industry dominant that it somehow became the mainstream all the award winners were competing against, without ever actually winning any awards itself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've read Eye too many times to "reread" it -- I read any given scene and my mind fills in the next and the next before I finish the first.

Yeah one of the things that I enjoy right now is following people on their first reads, like neuxue, or the newbie readthrough thread in r/wot. I pretty well know what's coming up, they don't.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah one of the things that I enjoy right now is following people on their first reads, like neuxue, or the newbie readthrough thread in r/wot. I pretty well know what's coming up, they don't.

If you're into podcasts, I've been listening to Wheel Takes and it's really scratching that itch for me. It takes about a book and a half for the new reader to truly get invested, but when she does she really falls hard for the series. It's a good time

They just finished foh and the episode of mourning for Moiraine was hilarious

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CainsDescendant posted:

If you're into podcasts, I've been listening to Wheel Takes and it's really scratching that itch for me. It takes about a book and a half for the new reader to truly get invested, but when she does she really falls hard for the series. It's a good time

Yeah I'm going to start listening to that immediately

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

DarkHorse posted:

Change back and forth multiple times within the same scene

"That's ta'veren!" :v:

Mat gets chucked out the red aelfinn doorway, Moiraine yells, “what the hell did you ask for?!?!”

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

the montage of a bunch of different people who recorded "sorry for your loss" messages for her was very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

eke out posted:

the montage of a bunch of different people who recorded "sorry for your loss" messages for her was very funny

I about died laughing at the whole wot podcast community coming together to gaslight Ali into thinking Moiraine is actually dead, it's a beautiful thing