Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In a way this is true. But it's more of an indictment of WWE than a display of their brilliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I legit laugh out loud every time I read one of those dumb posts where some idiot claims that AEW does a bunch of stuff that they don't actually do

They don't push young talent

All their talent is old

Every match is a spotfest full of botches

They don't push minorities

They don't have enough minority representation

Just fuckin literally lmao irl at these dolts who very clearly do not actually watch AEW

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

They don't have enough minority representation

This I'll give them but only because I could never have enough

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is there has been some legit discussion over black wrestlers in AEW maybe needing more presence- and I mean discussions that have included black wrestlers in AEW like Swole- but the WWE stans are clearly not invoking that in good faith (especially given the dismissal of Lucha Libre “flippy poo poo” which yeah has the scent of racism to it)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Daminous_Purity/status/1440495093769666568?s=19

https://twitter.com/Daminous_Purity/status/1440495930113884166?s=19

https://twitter.com/Daminous_Purity/status/1440497131383508997?s=19

This persons brain seems like an interesting place to visit.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If you just limit it to black wrestlers, AEW does seem a bit underrepresented when it comes to champions but it’s not really a quick fix either. The titles have been treated with a lot of prestige so far and the champions have been the aces of their divisions, so to speak. It’s clear that Starks, Cargill, Hobbs, Top Flight and Private Party are being groomed for these roles but it doesn’t happen overnight. I expect all of those names will hold gold at some point but it could be a year or two away for some of them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's a lot of words for something you dont like. Jesus find some joy in life.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

This persons brain seems like an interesting place to visit.

Not really.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I hate to be that person but I want that person to cite their sources.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
twitter should force Chicago style citation.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

twitter should be shut down along with facebook

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is there has been some legit discussion over black wrestlers in AEW maybe needing more presence- and I mean discussions that have included black wrestlers in AEW like Swole- but the WWE stans are clearly not invoking that in good faith (especially given the dismissal of Lucha Libre “flippy poo poo” which yeah has the scent of racism to it)

Or anything to do with Riho and probably Shida too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dude just screams into the void for what seems like hours a day to zero engagement yet he has 360k followers, I wonder how much that cost him

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

How are so many of these dudes from the UK and Ireland?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Like, part of me thinks its related to the entire headspace that lead to "all of the UK indies bar like two immediately rolled over and let themselves be demolished by the world wrestling federation" but like also it could just be like self-selecting bias.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's loving uncanny.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

For some one from the UK he sure does love Trump and American rightwing nut jobs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Many citations needed

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

For some one from the UK he sure does love Trump and American rightwing nut jobs.

he has the telltale sign, premiere league posts.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

karmicknight posted:

True but thats also a lot of Packer retweets too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

karmicknight posted:

if you've ever read the soccer subforum none of this is a surprise

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

TV Zombie posted:

I hate to be that person but I want that person to cite their sources.

This dude is getting mad at his own aew fanfiction when he could literally do anything else with his life.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/JuniorJ11944553/status/1440507058101440513

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Junior!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

I'm a football fan we're not all bad :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Son, does Senior Jackson know you're on the computer?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Some r/SC commenters are being obtuse about my assertion that the Bucks weren’t very over and had so-called “X-Pac heat” over in Nihon, and I’m annoyed enough that I wanna find evidence of this being the case but I’m having a hard time providing it. Can someone who’s on the Japanese message boards locate a thread, or someone more fluent in the language find a video of the fans not being into them? I know this stuff exists, I’m just not sure where to look for it in a way that I’ll find it quickly.

I don't even know if this is accurate or not (someone more familiar with NJPW at the time would probably have a better idea) but it's very funny.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For the love of god someone give me the confirmation bias I crave!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

I'm a football fan we're not all bad :(

I am being made footballpilled by playing multiplayer football manager with some friends. I understand.

Pylons posted:

I don't even know if this is accurate or not (someone more familiar with NJPW at the time would probably have a better idea) but it's very funny.

"I know that proof exists, but I cannot find it" is insanely funny vibes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pylons posted:

"Young Bucks Go Home" was a thing but that's just the same as the "Taichi wo kaere" stuff helpfully translated into English.

Fans weren't really into the junior tag division when the Bucks were dominant there but I think a lot of that was that it was almost entirely fly in talent.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I have a theory.

In the UK, RAW and Smackdown are on premium channels and in many cases you're paying for them on top of the Sky TV you already pay for. Meanwhile AEW is on free TV. So I reckon it's all sunk cost projection to justify the money they're spending on a shite TV channel they only watch two TV shows on. Or the "It's free so how good can it be?" mindset.

Also we are an awful, awful country filled to the brim with cunts.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

karmicknight posted:

Like, part of me thinks its related to the entire headspace that lead to "all of the UK indies bar like two immediately rolled over and let themselves be demolished by the world wrestling federation" but like also it could just be like self-selecting bias.

As someone from the UK I think it's because the indie was dead for so long and general interest in wrestling died a death post-attitude era and with RAW / Smackdown being on in the early hours, it really is the most deranged people who stuck with WWE till now (and convinced themselves it's good - otherwise they have to admit they've wasted years).

Edit: ^this too. I forgot about that aspect.

It's on BT now too so even less people have access to it.

Kaveman fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 22, 2021

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

"Young Bucks Go Home" was a thing but that's just the same as the "Taichi wo kaere" stuff helpfully translated into English.

Fans weren't really into the junior tag division when the Bucks were dominant there but I think a lot of that was that it was almost entirely fly in talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
plenty of people from outside the UK also like the premier league, and speaking as one of those people (well, i was, but my team are beyond trash and now in league one) i can tell you we're all much worse

mactheknife fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 22, 2021

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

For the love of god someone give me the confirmation bias I crave!

I'm going on the internet to find people who agree with me

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/01/06/crowdsourcing

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021

quote:

So far Danny Garcia is the AEW equivalent of Randy Orton

Solid but nothing more, quite boring.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lmfao

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Garcia gives off that "Oh, poo poo, he's going to snap ANY MINUTE" better in his few AEW matches than Orton has in his entire career

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

did randy orton kiss Speedball Bailey? QED motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If Orton was also a huge joshi fan I would probably enjoy him more.