Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Q7kid posted:

I've been following the G1 Climax after a number of years of not being closely engaged with NJPW, so I've been trying to catch up on recent history. I've seen a lot of folks deride Kazuchika Okada's performance during 2020, with specific scorn being directed to his Money Clip submission.

With that in mind:

1) Why was Okada's 2020 considered so bad? Was it objectively atrocious, or just a huge drop-off from his usual level of work?

2) Why is the Money Clip so disliked? It seems a little generic and a little gently caress It, It's Submission Time--is that the extent of it?

Well, first of all it's not like his 2020 was atrocious or anything, it's that it was mostly mediocre. But mostly mediocre is still going to turn heads when it's from the guy who's the company Ace and probably the objectively best wrestler in the world. It was especially weird because Okada had two absolute instant classics at Wrestle Kingdom 14 against Ibushi and Naito and then when New Japan came back from the pandemic break it's like he was just another guy even though everybody knew that he was capable of so much more.

The Money Clip thing plays into this because it's a kinda bad-looking hold that was still supposed to be treated like some big deal death move, but it mostly felt like some weird rib on the audience that Okada just stubbornly refused to give the people what they want and instead seemed to deliberately half-rear end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Cerebral Bore posted:

when New Japan came back from the pandemic break it's like he was just another guy even though everybody knew that he was capable of so much more.

Just for fun I had a look at the all time Cagematch ratings, because as we all know they are most objective rankings of wrestlers. Okada is at number 3 all-time with a 9.70. When the other people in the top 5 are Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, and Manami Toyota then just being another guy is almost inexcusable. Tanahashi is at number six on that list, and he's never just another guy, whenever he's cycling down the card for a spell it's always for a reason and the match quality doesn't suffer.

I also completely forgot about the whole KOPW thing last year. Okada got pissy that he didn't have a belt (after losing the trios belts to longtime failbrother Yoshi-Hashi) he created his own championship with it's own defined stipulation, and then proceed to lose the inagural match to his trickster buddy Toru Yano. He has yet to hold the championship that he himself created

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
OK, that Okada KoPW pissbaby storyline loving owns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the best pandemic era Okada match was vs Hiromu Takahashi because the story of the match was the money clip loving sucks and Okada got so pissed off that Hiromu wouldn't tap he rainmakered him three times, Hiromu is dead, and then he locks on the money clip on the unconscious Hiromu to force a ref stoppage. It was so petty.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

SG Bamboo posted:

Imo the only time the Money Clip was legitimately good was during Okada's match with Hiromu. Hiromu wouldn't tap, so Okada Rainmakered him twice and locked in the MC so the ref would call the match rather than pin Hiromu, because Okada is a petulant child who wanted to win with his cool new move

Lid posted:

the best pandemic era Okada match was vs Hiromu Takahashi because the story of the match was the money clip loving sucks and Okada got so pissed off that Hiromu wouldn't tap he rainmakered him three times, Hiromu is dead, and then he locks on the money clip on the unconscious Hiromu to force a ref stoppage. It was so petty.

:) :hf: :)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sorry! If I saw that would've quoted in agreement. The other time the rainmaker looked good was Okada v Shingo in the G1 because Shingo is a living God and he sold it like death. Like this is the biggest thing, the rainmaker is a cobra clutch, a move we all know can look good - look at anytime Austin applied the million dollar dream and shook people. Okada just locks it on and... sits there. It has all the intensity of an abdominal stretch. Except in NJPW I have seen with my own eyes ZSJ get over an abdominal stretch as a finisher so yeah its an Okada problem.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
See, Okada's 2020 being the pissbaby run makes me think it was good, but not enough to watch New Japan again.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Who would you say are among the best sellers in wrestling (currently active or otherwise)?

Also, was there ever a documented situation where someone was so good at selling or making their opponents look good that their own push never really materialized?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Who would you say are among the best sellers in wrestling (currently active or otherwise)?

Also, was there ever a documented situation where someone was so good at selling or making their opponents look good that their own push never really materialized?

Dolph Ziggler sold like a maniac for years and got poo poo other than his one whc win on raw that was sawed off at the knees when del Rio concussed him a couple weeks later. But I think rumors were he was not long for a decent run anyway.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Okada also already had the Red Ink so I don't know why they felt the need to try and get over a third finishing move.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Miro is a pretty incredible seller. Dude doesn't even sell like he's hurt, he sells like his invincibility cheat code stopped working and he's very annoyed about it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Q7kid posted:

I've been following the G1 Climax after a number of years of not being closely engaged with NJPW, so I've been trying to catch up on recent history. I've seen a lot of folks deride Kazuchika Okada's performance during 2020, with specific scorn being directed to his Money Clip submission.

With that in mind:

1) Why was Okada's 2020 considered so bad? Was it objectively atrocious, or just a huge drop-off from his usual level of work?

2) Why is the Money Clip so disliked? It seems a little generic and a little gently caress It, It's Submission Time--is that the extent of it?

1) partly it's because the expectation for Okada almost from day
1 of his return from excursion is "one of the top wrestlers on the planet". Hell, his start to 2020 was loving great, bangers at Wrestle Kingdom with Ibushi & Naito and then a great match at New Beginning with Taichi. Then the pandemic hits and we go away until June. Comeback & we get his NJ Cup with Gedo, which was torturous. And then Yujiro feud which was unbelievably bad. In the G1 he had a Yuj Match which was mediocre & disappointments with Taichi & Cobb. He feeds off the crowd & the crowd is dead
2) the big problem with the Money Clip is it's not the Rain Maker. The other problem is that there's only about 2 people on the roster who seem to sell it well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ishii is the best and it's not even close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sami Zayn

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

MJF is surprisingly good at selling

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ishii is the best and it's not even close.

It's this. Ishii is the best at selling since Toshiaki Kawada

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Danielson is also very good at selling.

algebra testes posted:

Also Okada also already had the Red Ink so I don't know why they felt the need to try and get over a third finishing move.

This is the really baffling part. The Red Ink is a really cool hold (it's basically the Regal Stretch/Gargano Escape) and I don't know why he dropped it. I also really like the Heavy Rain too.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Danielson is also very good at selling.

Yeah, I remember complaining when he started his singles run in WWE that he was hurting his own chances because he was making his opponents look so much better than they could make him look.

SG Bamboo posted:

It's this. Ishii is the best at selling since Toshiaki Kawada

But this is true.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tanahashi’s selling is also incredible, right up there with Ishii but Ishii’s is such a unique style of selling that it stands out so much

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ishii has some kind of sixth sense of not just when to sell but also when not to sell and also also when to sell after no-selling.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mandatory Bret Hart mention for "best seller." Bret was so good at selling the little things that for a long time I didn't like his matches much because the limb/joint selling made them seem real instead of cornball superhero stuff.

Not that it matters now, probably, but I like how Keith Lee sells. Does a really good "I am momentarily confused where I am after a strike to the head"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenny sold some brain confusion from blows to the head in a way that made me laugh last night

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

D.N. Nation posted:

Mandatory Bret Hart mention for "best seller." Bret was so good at selling the little things that for a long time I didn't like his matches much because the limb/joint selling made them seem real instead of cornball superhero stuff.

Beyond his physical selling I loved how invested Bret was in his matches. How he'd get upset when he lost or take a moment to register "okay, that happened" when someone outmaneuvered him. That point at Owen at WMX when Owen was just rubbing his foot into Bret's face was such a perfect conveyance of "you little poo poo".

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Renaissance Spam posted:

Beyond his physical selling I loved how invested Bret was in his matches. How he'd get upset when he lost or take a moment to register "okay, that happened" when someone outmaneuvered him. That point at Owen at WMX when Owen was just rubbing his foot into Bret's face was such a perfect conveyance of "you little poo poo".

My favorite is when he got flash pinned by DiBiase at survivor series. Just sits up immediately and says "gently caress!"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Has there ever been like, a team based gauntlet match? Not sure what you'd call it, but basically like a King of Fighters video game. Two guys start, one guy wins and another member from the loser's team comes out to fight the winner, until all of one team is eliminated. Like a Survivor Series but without tags, you just replace guys as they lose in 1 on 1 contests. Has this happened in any kind of high profile federation?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Possibly not "the best" but Orange Cassidy is a very underrated seller.

quote:

Supposedly when Mick Foley started working for Continental in Memphis he got in trouble because he was selling too much for lower-card good guys like Surfer Ray Odyssey. (of course, then he was wrestling against Jeff Jarrett, and the instruction was to absolutely sell his rear end off)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Critical posted:

My favorite is when he got flash pinned by DiBiase at survivor series. Just sits up immediately and says "gently caress!"

I liked when Diesel did that when he lost the WWF title to Bret.

Leva Bates will sometimes do the opposite when she wins. She'll double check with the ref, then get excited. It's little things like that that make the wrestlers seem more human and real.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It was a cool little moment when Cesaro came to after losing to Roman at Backlash and acted like he didn't realize he had passed out and the match was still going on.

Then Seth beat him up and down the card ya go

bartok
May 10, 2006

What was the undercard like during Hogan's run in WCW before the NWO? All I really remember from that time is the endless DDP/Johnny B. Badd feud and Hacksaw Jim Duggan's stupid taped fist gimmick.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

Possibly not "the best" but Orange Cassidy is a very underrated seller.

Orange and Kingston are top-tier in the company, I think. I'd put Shida up there too because three pretty green wrestlers got jobs as a direct result of her making them look great.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Which of the "AEW Four" will be the first to win the World title: Jungle Boy, MJF, Darby Allin or Sammy Guevara?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which of the "AEW Four" will be the first to win the World title: Jungle Boy, MJF, Darby Allin or Sammy Guevara?

If there wasn't already a bastard heel at the top of the card I'd say MJF but its probably going to be Jungle Boy.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

MJF is the most “ready” at the moment, then Darby, Sammy, then JB. This is based mostly on promo ability against in-ring (and all of them are really good!). But MJF could win the belt tomorrow and I’d say it works.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

D.N. Nation posted:

Not that it matters now, probably, but I like how Keith Lee sells. Does a really good "I am momentarily confused where I am after a strike to the head"

His sell of getting irish-whipped into the turnbuckle while facing forward makes it look like he loving DIED every time. I still don't think anyone has sold that better.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Re: selling…

Are we just going to ignore Shawn’s sell job in the Hogan match?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It wasn't him getting hit by a move, but I always appreciated Shawn selling Undertaker's kickout of the Superkick/Pedigree like Jesus had returned to call him out on all his poo poo

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

bartok posted:

What was the undercard like during Hogan's run in WCW before the NWO? All I really remember from that time is the endless DDP/Johnny B. Badd feud and Hacksaw Jim Duggan's stupid taped fist gimmick.

1995 had the US title tournament, which featured Sting and an undefeated Meng in the championship. At the same time, they were working an undefeated rookie phenom gimmick for Alex Wright. Mid-1995 saw the debut of the Renegade and his monster push, which came to an end by early fall.

The end of 1995 saw the feud between Harlem Heat and the Stud Stable, culminating in Sherri Martel falling for Colonel Parker. 1995 also had the lovely Paul Orndorff losing his confidence angle, the self help weirdo and Mr. Wonderful reemerging.

The Dungeon of Doom was doing its thing, scraping the top of the card on occasion.

Late 1995 had the ridiculous New Japan-led-by-Sonny Onoo thing, where they "bought" a certain amount of WCW Pro to use New Japan talent. Starrcade had the best of 7 series between the two, which had some good matches and horrible mismatches.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Has there ever been like, a team based gauntlet match? Not sure what you'd call it, but basically like a King of Fighters video game. Two guys start, one guy wins and another member from the loser's team comes out to fight the winner, until all of one team is eliminated. Like a Survivor Series but without tags, you just replace guys as they lose in 1 on 1 contests. Has this happened in any kind of high profile federation?

I think you described a Lucha Cibernetico just without the tags:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torneo_cibernetico

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Stardom did this for a Queens Quest vs Oedo Tai match with the last person eliminated having to leave the faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

When a wrestler from a Japanese promotion does a "Produce Show", such as Chris Brookes' DDT shows or the "Diamonds" Shows that Kongoh produce for Noah, what's involved? I'm thinking in terms of booking, finances, finishes etc.