Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Xotl posted:

Those posts are here (Die Nibelungen, then Excalibur and Faust further down the first page). They're well worth reading.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881338

quote:

Hbomberguy has a relatively brief but impressive turn as Mordred.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So was anyone tricked into reading Daniel Keys Moran yet?

The very best thing about Moran; besides his hyping of poo poo that never happened/never existed; is their delusional 34 story plan for their Continuing Time series (only 6.5 stories have been written as of 2021) plus a unrelated fantasy trilogy "deeper and more detailed than The Lord of The Rings" plus another unrelated scifi trilogy.

From his 1992 status update to the Internet.

I want to thank everyone out there who's kept the faith with me these last three years. The stories are coming; I haven't abandoned Trent or Denice or
my readers, or myself. I've been working on the Continuing Time since I was thirteen, and I'm not stopping now.

These are the Tales of the Continuing Time:
(Titles in quote marks are individual novels; the rest are short stories.)

DATE:

VOLUME ONE: "IN THE BEGINNING..."

Starcloud...................Previous Cycle of the Wheel

Spacethings..............................7 Billion B.C.

The Revolt of the Living...............4.5 Billion B.C.

The Time Wars..........................3.5 Billion B.C.

The Continuing Time.........................62,000 B.C.

"The Last Dancer: The Dancer"...............48,000 B.C.

The Painsharing of Ifahad....................5,800 B.C.

The Lord in His Castle..................540 to 589 A.D.

Remembrance........................................1963

Driving in the Dark................................1982

"Emerald Eyes: The Ancestors"......................2030

The Shepherds......................................2049

"Emerald Eyes".....................................2062

Faster than the _Wind_.............................2063

"The Long Run".............................2069 to 2070

o The Last Summer of His Youth

o The Long Run

o The Wall

"The Last Dancer: Spring 2072"....................2072

"Bordered in Blue".................................2072

o Sea Songs

o Death Songs

The Mechanism of Desire............................2074

"The Last Dancer"..........................2075 to 2076

o Summer: 2075

o Spring: 2076

o Back to the Beginning: Dvan's Story

o The TriCentennial Summer

o The Last Dancer

VOLUME TWO: ON THE ROAD TO REVOLUTION

"Players, Book One: The AI War"............2078 to 2080

o Trent the Uncatchable and the Temple of 'toons

o The Big Boost

o A Good Hair Day (The Lay of the Rose)

o The AI War

o Trent's Return

Moving.............................................2082

"Walk Against the Wind"....................2087 to 2090

"The Last Detective".......................2090 to 2091

o Master of the loving Obvious

o Deathjokes, Part One

o Catch Me If You Can

"Players, Book Two: Revolution"............2090 to 2100

o The Telepath, the Politician, and the Thief

o Deathjokes, Part Two

o The Light From the Crystal

o The Voyage of the Dauntless

o A Revolt in 2100

VOLUME THREE: THE WAR WITH THE SLEEM

"A Song as Yet Unsung".....................2111 to 2119

"A Tale as Yet Untold".....................2121 to 2139

"Legend"...................................2145 to 2149

VOLUME FOUR: THE EXODUS FROM EARTH

The Corridor of Dawn...............................2290

"The House of November"....................2291 to 2294

o Ares

o Sondra

o Richard: the First Lord of November

o Lorn

The Lords of Shadow................................2309

The Left Handed Hunter.............................2341

"Kinderjim on Earth"...............................2347

"The Serendip, the Starclouds, and the Scout".....................2349 to 2361

o Discovery

o Looking for Home

"Domain"...................................2382 to 2389

o Homecoming Day

o The Domain of Kinderjim

o Domain

"The Always Rising of the Night"...........2468 to 2501

(Being the true story of Our Lady of

Nightways, Ola Blue, who was Lady Blue,

who was Leiacan of Eastersea.)

Honorable Enemies..................................2614

"Lord November: The Man-Spacething War"............2676 to 2682

The Face of Night..................................2696

VOLUME FIVE: CAMBER'S WAY

"Young Camber".............................3000 to 3018

o Young Camber

o The Darkness Has a Name

o The Hunted Man

"The Winding Way Home".....................3022 to 3030

o The Song of Camber and S'Reeth

o The Song of S'Reeth and the Freebooters

o The Old Humans

o Mithian the Mercenary

o Homecoming Day 3030

"Lord Camber"..............................3036 to 3038

o The Traveler

o Cities in the Darkness

o The Borderland of Night

"Camber's Way".....................................3040

VOLUME SIX: THE TIME WARS

"Comes A Man"..............................3106 to 3107

"In Time of Legend"..........................Irrelevant

"All of the Things That You Are".............Irrelevant

"In All of Your Brilliance: The Writings of Camber"........3397; Irrelevant

VOLUME SEVEN: THE FAILURE OF THE MAP

"Platformer"...............................2964 to 3031

Shiva..............................................3042

Chauki November....................................3392

The Return of the Ultimate Webdancer...............4600

The High Servant...................................7822

"Anarchist"................................8864 to 8976

o The Last Lord of November

o The Way the World Ends

o Anarchist

"End of Empire"....................................9082

"Monument: The Day of Its Release"...............10,400

(In which the Chained One, Creator of the

Great Wheel of Existence, is released; the

Starclouds and the Zaradin return; heroes

who died before die again; and the

Continuing Time draws to an end.)

The Cold Time..............................circa 12,000

Related Works (fictional and otherwise):

"The Encyclopedia of the Continuing Time" (Non-Fiction)

"Tales of Old and New Earth"

o Other Times and Other Places

o Tales of Old and New Earth

"The Way off the Wheel"

(In the universal heat death, as the Great

Wheel of Existence collapses around them,

a group of heroes searches for the Way off

the Wheel.)

"The Collapse of the Levels"

(A fantasy trilogy unlike _anything_ you

have ever seen before, deeper and more

detailed than "The Lord of The Rings." Of

course you won't _get_ to see it for about

twenty years; a trivial enough wait for a

classic of this magnitude.)

And, last but _certainly_ not least:

TRINITY

Earth Angel

Sun Magic

The Poet of the Apocalypse

d_moran@pain.REDACTED

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Unless he was doing light novel-esque released where a new book comes out every six to nine months, did he ever realistically think he was going to be able to write all those? I bet each were planned as 1000 page doorstoppers too. I doubt even Brandon Sanderson is that prolific.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Google News hit me with a notification: Patrick Rothfuss wants Lin-Manuel Miranda in his TV adaptation...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I thought that was effectively dead?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

anilEhilated posted:

I thought that was effectively dead?

Tell Google that.

:mad:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Google News hit me with a notification: Patrick Rothfuss wants Lin-Manuel Miranda in his TV adaptation...

Isn't the rumor that Rothfuss was basically dismissive/rude to LMM during meetings or something? Like he saw himself as so important and influential that some Broadway music guy should've been grateful for his presence.

I know LMM initially talked it up how much he loved the book and the musical stuff in it (which, kind of weird from a theater kid who knows music) but end up dropping his involvement shortly after.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
It's from an interview in 2017 which was just made public, wow. But in a recent interview he did say "“I’m planning on, like, having a newsletter for everyone. And again, no rush there."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LMM has the opposite problem to Rothfuss in that he’s so prolific and in everything these days that people have begun to resent him, especially because they’ve realized he’s the heir of a somewhat powerful political family.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For a second or fifty I thought you were misgendering and misrepresenting the writings of zombie Lucy Maud Montgomery.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ccs posted:

LMM has the opposite problem to Rothfuss in that he’s so prolific and in everything these days that people have begun to resent him, especially because they’ve realized he’s the heir of a somewhat powerful political family.

The legacy Cuban slave wealth might also be a factor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ccs posted:

It might also be a factor that in real life the person Alexander Hamilton was actually an enormous piece of poo poo who tried to start an armed rebellion and is basically the opposite of the character in his play.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Lin couldn't figure out how to make a lute say sad.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

all they're missing is aaron sorkin and it would be the most insufferable show on tv

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ccs posted:

Unless he was doing light novel-esque released where a new book comes out every six to nine months, did he ever realistically think he was going to be able to write all those? I bet each were planned as 1000 page doorstoppers too. I doubt even Brandon Sanderson is that prolific.

Pretty sure he's online, so why not ask him yourself?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

34 stories!?! With only 6.5 done? Yeah

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Had to do my quarterly check on our boy Patty Roth to see if he has surprised us with a book update. Nope.

Write the book, Patrick.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Had to do my quarterly check on our boy Patty Roth to see if he has surprised us with a book update. Nope.

Write the book, Patrick.

Was he playing Minecraft?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That would be a different type of world building

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a world without the book is better than one with

no matter how bad the book is his breathless cronies will be re energized

he will regain momentum to launch into the con circuit and continue to invite too-young girls to his hotel room for "ice cream" and be able to set up a new raft of nerd grifts

do not write the book rothfuss

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The book not existing suspends TKC in dreamlike animation. As Romeo and Juliet's deaths freeze their love's potential, so Rothfuss sustains Kvothe in unlife.

My vote is for writing the book.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I thought Pat was in a relationship or married, not that it's any of my business so the ice cream stuff may not happen anymore.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I thought Pat was in a relationship or married, not that it's any of my business so the ice cream stuff may not happen anymore.

there is no way rothfuss doesnt call himself a "free thinker" in that regard

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
He has a partner and a child or children with that partner.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm not enough of a weirdo to actually work out the time frame, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the ice cream story happened after he settled down with his not-wife.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Wtf is the ice cream story?

On second thought I probably don't want to know.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
upon rereading these books because my mom picked them up and I wanted to enjoy the whole mutual reading experience I've found that they're still mediocre but not actually as bad as my thread-poisoned brain remembered.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Wtf is the ice cream story?

On second thought I probably don't want to know.

Tough poo poo, you asked and you can't take it back

It was an anecdote from a female fan about how (IIRC) she met him at a con and he reacted warmly/energetically to her and signed some of her poo poo but then invited her to come up to his hotel room for ice cream later, and when she declined he immediately went cold and brushed her off

e: vvv welp vvv

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 24, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It was posted in this very thread:

al-azad posted:

So uh I’m quoting this 2 month old post to say that Rothfuss is indeed a creepy weirdo. I was at a convention and a recent acquaintance, a woman half his age, geeked out upon meeting him and invited him to sit and talk at a table with other fans. He offered her a private chat in his hotel room with the promise of ice cream. She says no at which point he promptly about faces leaving a trail of dust and beard hair behind him, just total cold shoulder.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

plus to corroborate that whole thing in general, as i think i mentioned last time ice cream came up, i know someone who directly intervened when rothfuss was talking to some 20 year old intern at a games conference and invited her to his room to "talk writing tips"

him having a child does not make me believe he is not still trying these lines

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah idk maybe this is over the line of me to speculate about but he does exude a real creepy-nerd-dude-in-an-open-relationship vibe

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BananaNutkins posted:

He has a partner and a child or children with that partner.

...and? Creepy assholes don't magically become normal if they have kids. In some cases they use said family as a shield for their lovely behavior. IE: Brett Kavanaugh throwing a fit when being confronted for his rapist ways during his SCOTUS hearing.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

...and? Creepy assholes don't magically become normal if they have kids. In some cases they use said family as a shield for their lovely behavior. IE: Brett Kavanaugh throwing a fit when being confronted for his rapist ways during his SCOTUS hearing.

Check my post history to see how much I love Rothfuss. I was just trying to be factual.

Anecdotally, every time I've met him he seemed extremely creepy. He got upset when the room his panel was in got crowded and my wife gave up her seat to me so someone else could sit in her seat. Rothfuss actually called me out, something like, "Dude, you're not going to leave for her!?" And then he got visibly upset when she said she would actually rather be in the costume crafting panel down the hall and was only in the room because I'd dragged her there. After she left, for the next hour, he was just fuming and snippy. Refused to talk about his "masterpiece" and only read articles he'd written for his school newspaper.

The other thing that creeped me out about him, back in the days of freedom and 'merica and consuites, were his female handlers who waited hand on foot for him. One carried a big tote bag of snacks for him, and his mannerisms toward them seemed less than respectful. That doesn't make him evil or anything. I'm sure traveling constantly and interacting with hundreds of people a day (at least a third of which hate your guts) makes a person a little jaded.

I disliked him enough to look into the reports of his charity, which is a charity to raise awareness of other charities, but I was disappointed to find that, at least in publicly available documents, he's not abusing the organization (but I am hardly an expert in this matters).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

I disliked him enough to look into the reports of his charity, which is a charity to raise awareness of other charities, but I was disappointed to find that, at least in publicly available documents, he's not abusing the organization (but I am hardly an expert in this matters).

I looked into that a while back and it seemed sketchy on the surface. Like most of the reported income went towards rent on property owned by Rothfuss.

In the interest of fairness, some speculated that since Worldbuilders (ostensibly) funnels money to other charities, most donations aren't reported or are reported differently or something. I'm not an expert on charitable organizations and their taxes, so I can't comment any further.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A charity that exists solely to funnel money to other charities sounds like a pointless vanity project at best anyway

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
They do fundraising events.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 9, 2021

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

multijoe posted:

A charity that exists solely to funnel money to other charities sounds like a pointless vanity project at best anyway

As much as I want to hate on it, the objective part of me thinks that it's one of the only ways to ethically make use of celebrity for the purpose of increasing charitable donations. I don't like Rothfuss and maybe there is something scummy going on (I think most of the staff are young women, which in any other situation I'd be like, sure, but...Rothfuss.)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BananaNutkins posted:

He's absolutely abusing it, it's been talked about in this thread a couple of times. It doesn't do much of anything and pays ridiculous fees to Rothfuss to rent space from him. They refuse to publish the actual numbers that they bring in to hide how little they accomplish.

It's not the Trump org but there's some slimy business going on.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I would love to definitively out his charity as scummy, but unfortunately they can hide behind excuses like "We don't even touch most of the money, it goes directly to charity." Until then, I have to presume innocence. His blog posts and interviews have outed him as a human being of questionable ethics, so it would not be surprising in the least. Joss Whedon is, after all, his master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BananaNutkins posted:

I would love to definitively out his charity as scummy, but unfortunately they can hide behind excuses like "We don't even touch most of the money, it goes directly to charity."

You can just go and look at the 990s filed with the IRS. World builders Inc. has an EIN of 90-0618018 and there are several years of returns available (2019 filings are the latest, but I blame some combination of Trump admin and Covid for 2020 not being up yet). In 2018, for example (2019 filing), they had

pre:
483,852 USD in contributions,
  3,594 in investment income,
344,439 in other revenue [merchandise revenue less cost of goods]
And then spent 508K on salaries and 284K on other expenses (accountants, promotion, office expenses, IT, occupancy, travel, insurance, and supplies; none of these jump out except occupancy, and 104K for a year is not much for an office rent). Rothfuss didn’t take a salary.

Now, they do seem to be pretty worthless as a charity since they basically had nothing left over after paying salaries and other expenses, but that’s hardly unusual.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/