Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cases are decreasing close thread open Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

My theory is that long Covid is just the cumulative stress of our lives that we’ve been managing to cover up and hide since we were born and this pandemic has been just enough to push us over the edge. With adults though, not children. Not sure about the children.

But mental illness and sickness in general isn’t a burden on society; it’s the burden society places on the individual.

that’s kind of been my assumption particularly american society, not discounting post viral poo poo at all but this stuff does add up and eventually you either crack ping or ignore it all which is what open biden is all about.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why would it be surprising that half of long covid cases were never diagnosed with covid? I thought that was about the same ratio of covid cases getting officially tested?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Teenage Riot posted:

Not enough Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said in the overnight PKD discussion

Yeah that and also

"The Martian Time-Slip"

and

"The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch"

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

district dashboard still not updated, but only one person in the school tested positive based on the email, and a rather guarded conversation I had with a special education teacher reveals they know who it is but wouldnt tell me

weird how the 1 to 1 para for a student of mine, who has been in my class, was absent for a few days in a row without any notice

hmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thoguh posted:

If the CDC wasn’t tracking it then that’s an abject failure on their part, not an excusable woopsie.

Almost all of the US models up to July when delta was already ramping up were severely underestimating its transmissability

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you click through to the COVID19 Scenario Modeling Hub website you can see their previous models overlaid with the subsequent real world data and their hit rate is absolute dog poo poo. They're remarkably bad.

[...]

The CDC were definitely tracking it but they also throwing their big mask burning party in mid May and telling everyone that the pandemic was over for fully vaxxed people

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

long covid symptoms are gonna vary depending on what the blood clots hosed up... brain clots get you cognitive issues, lung and kidney clots get you chronic fatigue, pancreas clots get you diabetes, etc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Almost all of the US models up to July when delta was already ramping up were severely underestimating its transmissability

The CDC were definitely tracking it but they also throwing their big mask burning party in mid May and telling everyone that the pandemic was over for fully vaxxed people

Lmao how none of the various models had any sort of correlation to what happened.

Like showing things would be solved / no new cases a year from now back in 2020.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Spoondick posted:

long covid symptoms are gonna vary depending on what the blood clots hosed up... brain clots get you cognitive issues, lung and kidney clots get you chronic fatigue, pancreas clots get you diabetes, etc

it's too hard to decide. I'll just take one of each

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

d&d and libs in general poo poo so much on crackl ping yet he was very early on warning about variants while they were taking off their masks and going out to brunch

i just dont understand how they can still be so loving pompous and arrogant when theyve been wrong at every turn of this pandemic

i mean you have d&d libs, the Serious Smart Posters who want to shitcan cspam “doomerism” from their bad thread, still saying things like “deaths and hospitalizations among fully vaxxed are exceedingly unlikely” when no theyre loving not. its more likely that even with vaccines covid becomes a disease that just wipes out a couple hundred thousand (or more) olds every loving year, decreasing life expectancy.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
eric crackl-ping is sounding the alarm, this is harshing my brunch vibe

shut up

shut up eric, im tryin to sip my mimmy with my biden stimmy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

snap

crackle

ping!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Eric is helping me achieve enlightenment.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The eventual variant that kills children more than the elderly will finally convince our society to do something, right?

No?

Oh ok.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

uhhhhhhhhh can I get ummmmm uhhhh a mcchicken?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I go in for my MMR and TDAP vaccine in a little bit. Also I got my doctor to write a letter for a work accomodation to work from home and not have to go into office rotation. Please wish me well that I get the accomodation.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hollismason posted:

I go in for my MMR and TDAP vaccine in a little bit. Also I got my doctor to write a letter for a work accomodation to work from home and not have to go into office rotation. Please wish me well that I get the accomodation.

Good luck.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

smoobles posted:

The eventual variant that kills children more than the elderly will finally convince our society to do something, right?

No?

Oh ok.

the opposite, we need a variant that kills only elderly people for our gerontocracy to care enough

we don't give a gently caress about kids dying, haven't for a while

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Demonstrate your powerful vaxxed farts for them if they reject it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh man I had a powerful fart this morning, just epic. Smelled like rotting wood and eggs.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Hollismason posted:

Oh man I had a powerful fart this morning, just epic. Smelled like rotting wood and eggs.

that's the first sign

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

would someone mind posting the best graphical summary of the Israeli data wrt effectiveness of two doses vs. two doses + booster for pfizer?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
everyone is hoping so drat hard covid just cleans itself up and there is little reason to believe that will happen

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1441416013883461640?s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I live right next to the U of Minn main campus and there are tons of people without masks going to the stadium, and paying $40 for parking

lmfao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

congratulations

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Spoondick posted:

The problem here is the need for blood.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

were they saying “it is impossible for any Covid mutation to become more deadly and virulent” before delta came along or has that only started after. since if they were saying that before delta you’d think it would be considered debunked

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

were they saying “it is impossible for any Covid mutation to become more deadly and virulent” before delta came along or has that only started after. since if they were saying that before delta you’d think it would be considered debunked

I think the consensus was something like "it was very difficult because of the spike and it would take a long long long time"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I live right next to the U of Minn main campus and there are tons of people without masks going to the stadium, and paying $40 for parking

lmfao

hell yeah, why not, covid is over!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

everyone is hoping so drat hard covid just cleans itself up and there is little reason to believe that will happen

winter is coming

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Gio posted:

d&d and libs in general poo poo so much on crackl ping yet he was very early on warning about variants while they were taking off their masks and going out to brunch

i just dont understand how they can still be so loving pompous and arrogant when theyve been wrong at every turn of this pandemic

i mean you have d&d libs, the Serious Smart Posters who want to shitcan cspam “doomerism” from their bad thread, still saying things like “deaths and hospitalizations among fully vaxxed are exceedingly unlikely” when no theyre loving not. its more likely that even with vaccines covid becomes a disease that just wipes out a couple hundred thousand (or more) olds every loving year, decreasing life expectancy.

No one wants to be honest about where things are and the media they consumes just reinforces that. Things are are bad. The steadily increasing deaths and crowding of hospitals indicates that even if they aren’t getting actively worse poo poo is going to continue to be bad for a while.

Deaths aren’t going to magically fall off. Maybe there are some hot spots where delta has blitz the gently caress out of the population and it will decline in those areas. However, there’s no concrete evidence of that. Just correlations and anecdotes. Some places are a month behind and just kicking off. So the locations might change but overall the picture is very bad.

New cases are trending down overall which could be real or could just be lack of testing, crowded hospitals, and the bare minimum NPIs that have been out in place. We aren’t going to quickly get back to the Spring/Summer falloff in cases without a much higher vaccination and more restrictions. Since that probably won’t happen, it will be a slow decline in new cases with some spikes as unvaccinated and vaccinated get infected, some die and some have boosted immunity for a few months.

If delta remains the dominant variant and nothing else changes, will overall cases and deaths go down? Maybe. It will just cycle through various populations infecting or reinfect if them and kill/disabling some %. At some point, most people will have some period of resistance but there’s a lot of death and disabling conditions leading to that. The jury is completely out on the duration or strength of that resistance too. The blue Maga crowd might be more right about it and it might last longer and be more protective. That’s still no comfort to the parents of all the sick and dying kids. “Sorry ma’am, you had to be the .2% so that I could have a mimosa this weekend.”

Or another variant could surge up and lead to even more mass death than we have now. Delta is pretty dominant so it might continue winning out. Even if a variant doesn’t overcome delta nationwide, there could be variant spikes that lead to mass casualties. We’ve seen that already with some of the VOCs and delta itself.

Basically nothing is certain but someone said it really well the other day that the general CSPAM prediction has always been: “poo poo is going to progressively get worse.” It’s weird to me that anyone argues with this take because it’s been objectively true this whole time.

We’re very much loving around and going to find out.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

there has been a ton of wishful thinking this whole pandemic. remember when England announced its herd immunity policy in like April when people didn’t even know if Covid infection conferred immunity against reinfection

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's received wisdom that viruses evolve to become more contagious and less lethal to their hosts and you see people repeating that over and over and over but there's lots of examples where viruses evolved to become deadlier. The more competitive variants are usually those that evolve to become more communicable and in some situations that'd be mutations which make them less immediately lethal but in other cases the mutations that make them more communicable may also make them more dangerous.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

fosborb posted:

In a rational world, the people that keep spouting this bullshit would get debunked when they are wrong and disappear into a dark hole. But considering all the people that have been wrong repeatedly and still talk poo poo, just throw out the wild predicts. Nate Silver hasn’t been right about poo poo in like a decade but still get airtime.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

wow, i would have been concerned about this in april or may if covid wasn't already over, which is still is. hindsight is 20/20 i guess,

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The big thing is the lockdowns in March-May 2020, even as brief and as inadequate as they were, combined with the stimulus payments and the expanded unemployment, threatened to overturn American society and shake loose the increasingly calcified class structure. The people in charge recognized this very quickly and determined that hundreds of thousands of deaths of the underclass and slight-to-moderate destabilization of society was far far far preferable to potentially creating inroads for reduced class disparity.

This is why the current push is utterly focused on getting things back to normal as fast as possible, rather than about eliminating the virus. It never was about saving lives, it was about preserving the status quo. Once it was clear that thousands dying daily wouldn't disrupt the cushiness of the upper class, it was at that exact moment their armies of propagandists began putting out nonstop messaging about how we have to learn to live with the virus, therefore go back shopping, eating at Applebee's, and attending live sports.

Sustaining the privilege bubble of the upper class; that's all this so-called pandemic response really boils down to. They never cared about our lives or our health, not ever in any single way, only potentially the impact of thousands of people dying would have on their privilege and living conditions.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
yeah i mean for all intents and purposes this pandemic was over for the ruling class the minute stocks bounced back in late spring 2020 and the messaging reflected that

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

hindsight is 20/20 i guess,

if only we had applied foresight, we wouldn't need so much hindsight :shrug:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gio posted:

Being wrong and pompous about it is a lib hallmark.