Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

Is there an easy way to check if a particular username is taken here?

Yes.

You can swap 'userid=xxx' for 'username=yyyy' in a profile address and type in a username to see if the profile exists. You don't need to do anything special for spaces, just type your usual space in a username if the one you're trying to check has multiple words and your browser should put the %20 in for you.

For example swapping your userid to username in the profile page would have the URL looking like this.

code:
userid=157678
code:
username=Organza Quiz
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Organza%20Quiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've seen people online who are antivaxxers or covid deniers or something, anyway one of the things i've seen them say is that they won't go to a hospital because hospitals make a lot of money from people dying of covid. What happens when the pandemic goes away will they still avoid hospitals? will they be going homeopathic?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a foot warmer? My feet get cold in this loving miserable plague-ridden tundra and no level of thick wool socks helps

To return to this, I saw a hot water bottle on sale at the grocery store for $8CAD and thought it was worth a shot. My feet have been pleasantly warm and I just refill the bottle a couple times a day.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Someone lost the stopper to our drain but I'm having trouble finding a replacement plug. Does anyone know what type of plug this is or how to go about finding a new stopper that will work?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

I've seen people online who are antivaxxers or covid deniers or something, anyway one of the things i've seen them say is that they won't go to a hospital because hospitals make a lot of money from people dying of covid. What happens when the pandemic goes away will they still avoid hospitals? will they be going homeopathic?

You’re trying to reason out what path they’ll take from a position they didn’t reason themselves into. It’s a fool’s errand.

Having said that, I suspect that the number who swear off hospitals forever will be quite small. Many antivaxxers are eager to queue up for Regeneron right now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

As Platystemon points out, there's no consistent logical process at play here. People will say whatever they think they can get away with that will help them accomplish their goals. In this case the goal is "don't get the vaccine". It doesn't remotely matter if the excuse is consistent or indeed even remotely plausible, what matters is that there's an excuse. If their chosen excuse gets debunked so thoroughly that they can no longer use it without getting mocked by everyone, then they'll find a new excuse. If you're waiting for them to admit they were wrong and change their behavior, I hope you're prepared to wait a long time.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I mean my mom is a homeopath and she got right on the vaccine when it was available, and if any of her patients clients reported a serious infection or illness she'd strongly advise them to go to an allopathic real doctor and would refuse to treat sell them anything.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As Platystemon points out, there's no consistent logical process at play here. People will say whatever they think they can get away with that will help them accomplish their goals. In this case the goal is "don't get the vaccine". It doesn't remotely matter if the excuse is consistent or indeed even remotely plausible, what matters is that there's an excuse. If their chosen excuse gets debunked so thoroughly that they can no longer use it without getting mocked by everyone, then they'll find a new excuse. If you're waiting for them to admit they were wrong and change their behavior, I hope you're prepared to wait a long time.

Another corollary goal with these sorts of statements is attracting attention, even if it is negative.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i understand people who still wear masks in public because im one of them

i dont agree with anti-maskers, but i know what their arguments are and generally understand their thought process

what i dont understand are the half-maskers. people who go around with a mask on their mouth but their nose sticking out. wtf is the point of that?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

People who feel like they should wear a mask, but find it unpleasant to breathe in it and also don't think very hard about things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re cowards, OP.

They don’t want to do their part to help the community, but they also don’t want to be called out as the worthless sacks of poo poo they know, deep down, that they are.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its like seeing a couple where one is wearing a mask and the other isn't.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

People who feel like they should wear a mask, but find it unpleasant to breathe in it and also don't think very hard about things.

It's this, a ton of people are not strongly ideological and are just going to go with whatever mandate exists without much thought, assuming that it's the best and easiest thing to do (which is why mandates are helpful). Exposing the nose makes it a teeny bit more comfortable especially wrt glasses fogging up and they probably don't think too hard about what the mask is for or whether they are drastically reducing its effect.

The more weird case to me is people who wear the mask but secretly take it off in the bathroom, or deliberately have a snack on hand so they can claim they are actively eating/drinking. These people are too cowardly to be full-time anti mask, but still think they can get one over on society by sneaking it off when they can get away with it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Earwicker posted:

what i dont understand are the half-maskers. people who go around with a mask on their mouth but their nose sticking out. wtf is the point of that?

They're technically complying with mask rules while also finding a way to completely defeat the point of them. You know, assholes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have this weird habit in my head of using the word "preclude" to mean include or imply even though it means the opposite of include

is there a p word that is similar? Like "that would p____ that they already know how to do this"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Presume?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tiggum posted:

My father posted this screenshot on Facebook showing a search for curtain cleaners in Victoria, Australia that seems very weird.

First, that just seems like a lot of curtain cleaning businesses but also, as far as I'm aware, "LLC" doesn't mean anything in Australia as it's the American equivalent of "Pty Ltd".

Anyone got any idea what's going on there?

From a few pages ago, but reminded me of this similar maps weirdness with Apple Maps in Australia:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/13/apple-maps-australia-listing-bug/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a p word that is similar? Like "that would p____ that they already know how to do this"
Presuppose? "That presupposes that they already..."

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know NYC has a lot of condos and co-ops - I noticed that for condos, the HOA fees are pretty crazy, even for NY. For example a small condo in Brooklyn I saw listed at 600K and it was maybe 700 SF. But the HOA was 2100/month? My understanding is that with condos, the upfront cost is higher, but the fees are lower overall, but you pay property taxes separately. With a co-op, the upfront cost is lower, but the fees are higher, and the fees include property taxes. I have no idea how anyone affords this poo poo. Are all those ridiculous property taxes tax deductible?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 28, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Housing in NYC is very expensive. It drives salaries up pretty hard, but even after that a lot of people can't afford to buy property there.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Housing in NYC is very expensive. It drives salaries up pretty hard, but even after that a lot of people can't afford to buy property there.

700k for a 500 SF studio lol (though it's in a pretty nice neighborhood, and is brand new)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/561-Pacific-St-301-Brooklyn-NY-11217/2070188684_zpid/

also the HOA fee seems... really low? maybe because it's a new building so they haven't had to do any major updates yet?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why are decorative towels almost universally useless?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hooah posted:

Why are decorative towels almost universally useless?

because they are for decoration

and decoration is dumb, which is basically modernism encapsulated. welcome friend

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

actionjackson posted:

because they are for decoration

and decoration is dumb, which is basically modernism encapsulated. welcome friend

I just don't understand why they can't be decorative (i.e. have designs or patterns on them) and also functional.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I just don't understand why they can't be decorative (i.e. have designs or patterns on them) and also functional.

Those would be decorated towels -they’re right next to the decorative towels.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

For bravery and self sacrifice, this towel was awarded the brown star.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"gently caress those towels" - mies van der rohe, c. 1929

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do stars twinkle? I just remembered I've heard the explanation before about the atmosphere, but I don't think I've seen stars actually twinkle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

Do stars twinkle? I just remembered I've heard the explanation before about the atmosphere, but I don't think I've seen stars actually twinkle.

Yes? Do you live in the Atacama Desert or something?

Some nights they twinkle more than others, but twinkle they do. Try comparing them to Jupiter, Saturn, or Venus, which are at this date all low in the southern sky after sunset and do not twinkle.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Flipperwaldt posted:

For bravery and self sacrifice, this towel was awarded the brown star.

After which it had to be thrown away, for sanitary reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Platystemon posted:

Yes? Do you live in the Atacama Desert or something?

Some nights they twinkle more than others, but twinkle they do. Try comparing them to Jupiter, Saturn, or Venus, which are at this date all low in the southern sky after sunset and do not twinkle.

I've never been able to see this. I've had people try to point it out to me by going "that one's a planet; that one's a star. See?" and I don't see. There's no difference visible to me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How's your vision? If you're sitting at 20/60 or something, or have an astigmatism, that could explain it.

There's one fairly bright star, I don't know it's name, that seems to rapidly change colors from red, to white, to flashes of blue. That would be the most obvious twinkle. I'll see if I can find out the name of the star.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

regulargonzalez posted:

How's your vision? If you're sitting at 20/60 or something, or have an astigmatism, that could explain it.

There's one fairly bright star, I don't know it's name, that seems to rapidly change colors from red, to white, to flashes of blue. That would be the most obvious twinkle. I'll see if I can find out the name of the star.

Sirius is a good candidate because it’s the brightest star in the night sky and it’s low in the sky from the Europe/U.S./Canada. There are some weird stars out there, but for twinkling purposes their size and metallicity and such is mostly irrelevant. It’s all about brightness and position.

Sirius rises in the early morning right now. As the Northern Hemisphere enters winter, it will become prominent.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I've never been able to see this. I've had people try to point it out to me by going "that one's a planet; that one's a star. See?" and I don't see. There's no difference visible to me.

They’re huge compared to stars, especially Venus.
It’s why Venus is sometimes referred to as the morning star or the evening star: it’s so big and bright that it’s the first and the last light you’re likely to see in the sky (not counting the sun and moon).

Also, if you take a moment you can get the planets (kinda) in focus and see an actual circle. You can’t do that with stars.
I need to keep one eye closed, and it’s a bit of a strain on the one that’s open.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Such Fun posted:

if you take a moment you can get the planets (kinda) in focus and see an actual circle.
I believe that you can do that. I believe that you see the twinkling. Enough people have told me they see it that I can't doubt it. But I can't see it. They're all just dots to me. :shrug:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sounds like you might have some minor myopia. You have to be seeing just about perfectly to see stars twinkle, or even to see many of them at all. I know i can't really see it with my glasses, which are slightly out of date, but i can with my contacts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there any inherent reason, given our level of scientific knowledge, why MRI machines must be so loud or is it a matter of we could make them quiet but it would cost an order of magnitude more money? If Elon Musk threw $5 billion at the problem could a silent MRI machine be developed?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Given his track record I'd say Elon Musk would probably raise 10B in public funding promising a silent MRI, use it to develop a new pair of earmuffs as a "proof of concept," and then claim to need more money to finish the silent MRI :v:

But I'm curious about the real answer. My guess is there's just no way to sufficiently quiet a massive high-speed spinning eccentric load like that, especially in such a tight space with coolant, electrical connections, waveguides, etc.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I believe that you can do that. I believe that you see the twinkling. Enough people have told me they see it that I can't doubt it. But I can't see it. They're all just dots to me. :shrug:

That’s rough buddy. Have you really tried though?
Here, let me show you again. Just look at it. Just look at - no, not like that. Just look at it.
Let me show you again. You see this one here, the one that’s brighter? Yes it is, just look at it. Just focus your eye. Focus, like I’m doing.

(I have the depth perception of a toddler and a bunch of optical illusions just don’t work for me no matter what I try. When I’m making a sculpture I constantly have to walk around moving my head like a chicken. So I get how much fun people repeatedly pointing at the sky must be for you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there any inherent reason, given our level of scientific knowledge, why MRI machines must be so loud or is it a matter of we could make them quiet but it would cost an order of magnitude more money? If Elon Musk threw $5 billion at the problem could a silent MRI machine be developed?

I googled to get the technical answer, which is apparently:

quote:

The MRI machine uses a combination of a strong magnet, radio transmitter and receiver. When the sequences are performed, electric current is sent through a coiled wire-an electromagnet. The switching of the currents causes the coils to expand making loud clicking sounds.

I don’t know if it’s already possible to make a silent MRI machine, I’d be curious to learn.
But even if Elon Musk would pay other people to make a silent MRI, what are the odds of you and I being scanned with it if we’d need a scan?
MRI machines are expensive as gently caress, and I don’t believe most hospitals upgrade them like it’s the newest iPhone.

I hope everything turns out alright for you, and that you never have to get in that noise tube again.