Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I started playing DIshonored and after 1 mission my Chaos level is High. can i make it go down or does it only go up.

it's a weird game. basically despite the good/evil ending poo poo, what high/low chaos really means it's 'do you suck at stealth or not'. roughly halfway in high chaos missions get easier to stealth on and low chaos ones get harder. it's secretly an adaptive difficulty thing that's also tied to the ending and story for some reason. anyway I think you only get enough leeway overall for killing your mission targets and one or two gently caress ups and then youre just stuck on high chaos lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

Cool. I killed 9 men. I wonder if it counts as a death when I sleep darted a guy taking a piss and he fell into a river.

It’s been a while since I played the first one but iirc any death adds to chaos, regardless of how directly you killed them. The idea is that it’s not really supposed to be Corvo’s personal morality and more about the effects your actions have on the city which is why all the nonlethal methods for taking out the target are way more horrifying than just stabbing them or whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

it's a weird game. basically despite the good/evil ending poo poo, what high/low chaos really means it's 'do you suck at stealth or not'. roughly halfway in high chaos missions get easier to stealth on and low chaos ones get harder. it's secretly an adaptive difficulty thing that's also tied to the ending and story for some reason. anyway I think you only get enough leeway overall for killing your mission targets and one or two gently caress ups and then youre just stuck on high chaos lol.

that's pretty cool...I'm pretty terrible at stealth games my first time through so I'll probably wind up murdering a poo poo load of people.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s been a while since I played the first one but iirc any death adds to chaos, regardless of how directly you killed them. The idea is that it’s not really supposed to be Corvo’s personal morality and more about the effects your actions have on the city which is why all the nonlethal methods for taking out the target are way more horrifying than just stabbing them or whatever

yeah, all the nonlethal "kills" are super hosed up, like giving the lady at the party to neil patrick harris from gone girl. dishonored was real cool, i need to play dishonored 2 sometime. maybe when i'm done with prey, kind of on an arkane kick

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

that's pretty cool...I'm pretty terrible at stealth games my first time through so I'll probably wind up murdering a poo poo load of people.

the outsider powers for high chaos are super fuckin cool anyway and a bunch of them are impossible to use on low chaos without murking a ton of guys. best thing you can do in low chaos is stop time, which while cool isnt as cool when you cant use it to dio the hell out of some guy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I went all nonlethal stealth for lore purposes but sort of wish I hadn't cause there's so much of the equipment and game mechanics I never touched that probably would have been more fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can kill more people than you think and still get low chaos. I feel like high chaos fits the story/world better tbh and it has a much cooler final level, but while it's not intended to be a "good/evil meter" it's pretty clearly the bad ending as written.

I'm gonna replay 2 I think, just played Prey Mooncrash and liked it a lot, and only played D2 once (as Corvo).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Cool. I killed 9 men. I wonder if it counts as a death when I sleep darted a guy taking a piss and he fell into a river.

The names of the men?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah, all the nonlethal "kills" are super hosed up, like giving the lady at the party to neil patrick harris from gone girl. dishonored was real cool, i need to play dishonored 2 sometime. maybe when i'm done with prey, kind of on an arkane kick

I remember liking 2 even better than 1. Might be time to replay the series, if for no other reason that to buy some time before I cave and impulse-buy Deathloop

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You can kill more people than you think and still get low chaos. I feel like high chaos fits the story/world better tbh and it has a much cooler final level, but while it's not intended to be a "good/evil meter" it's pretty clearly the bad ending as written.

I'm gonna replay 2 I think, just played Prey Mooncrash and liked it a lot, and only played D2 once (as Corvo).

yeah thats my only problem with 1 i think, the high chaos ending is definitely just the bad end. is 2 any better about that?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I remember liking 2 even better than 1. Might be time to replay the series, if for no other reason that to buy some time before I cave and impulse-buy Deathloop

i only played a little bit (yobgoblin tricked me by giving me the game on steam before i realized he ws a complete bath salts psycho, then every time i played it started talking to me about street drugs and offering me killing floor 2 codes and posting on my steam page and stuff so i had to never touch it again) but emilys powers are crazy fuckin cool and every bit as good as corvo's. otherwise it just seemed like the same game, pt. 2 which honestly is all i wanted out of it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

yeah thats my only problem with 1 i think, the high chaos ending is definitely just the bad end. is 2 any better about that?

I played it low chaos so I'm not sure but it seems a bit more thought out, I think individual decisions make more of an impact on how the ending plays out too - it's all about how hosed up you leave Karnaca, so like, if you're overall low chaos but still just kill the major figures without doing anything to make things better, it's still going to be a shithole.

Don't think the levels change as much though which is a shame

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

yeah it uses a bunch of slides like Fallout depending on which lethal/nonlethal you take on each level, especially later on. Dishonored 2 is definitely a more cynical game in general and it's way more brutal about the chaos system, you could get away with killing a lot more people and even targets i think and get low chaos in the first. i like the dishonored games enough that i've done back to back playthroughs of nonlethal/lethal back to back of both games on my fisrt playthrough, they're pretty short the second time and i always find more stuff. arkane owns

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm in the middle of a full ghost run of Dishonored. It rules.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

yobgoblin tricked me by giving me the game on steam before i realized he ws a complete bath salts psycho, then every time i played it started talking to me about street drugs and offering me killing floor 2 codes and posting on my steam page and stuff so i had to never touch it again

lol jesus

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
shadow tactics is 4 dollars on gog if you haven't played that yet yall. farewell

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

shadow tactics is 4 dollars on gog if you haven't played that yet yall. farewell

Good spot! I've already got it, but it was a very fun playthrough. Kinda like Partisans 1941, but obviously with a different theme.

I remember liking 2 even better than 1.

Yeah, I'm the same way - Dishonored 2 is better than the original Dishonored, I feel. That being said, the Daud DLC storyline for the original is better than both, from what I remember. I wasn't overly keen on the DLC for Dishonored 2 though, tbh.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
DP I know, but Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts is on sale for $7USD on GamesPlanet if anyone fancies it. (Never bought from there before, but it came up on isthereanydeal as a site they've verified, so I assume they're not grey market, etc. if that's a concern)

I bought it for after I've finished with Partisans 1941, even though I'm trying to get through my backlog...I've been waiting a while for SGWC to dip to $10AUD though, so I splashed out.
Either way, it should be fun for a bit of relaxing stealth shootin'. I think I recall people in here mentioning that it's basically a not-quite-as-good-but-kinda-different Sniper Elite, so it oughta scratch that itch quite well I feel, for the price it's at.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

i never finished my second run so I'm not sure but I hear it's not like that as much. one cool thing is you can play truly no powers or you can do NG+ where you can unlock Emily or Corvo's powers as you choose, which is neat. their kits do the same overall things but in very different ways so it's neat to combine them, especially the lethal ones lol. i think it's overall better than the first tbh, as well as being one of the few games with the two characters and two ability sets thing where I don't feel like there's an obvious better or more fun choice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Good spot! I've already got it, but it was a very fun playthrough. Kinda like Partisans 1941, but obviously with a different theme.

Yeah, I'm the same way - Dishonored 2 is better than the original Dishonored, I feel. That being said, the Daud DLC storyline for the original is better than both, from what I remember. I wasn't overly keen on the DLC for Dishonored 2 though, tbh.

I wanted to like Death of the Outsider more than I did, but I wasn't a huge fan of the limited toolkit (or the tools themselves) and it had a couple of lovely levels - I really hated the final mission

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wanted to like Death of the Outsider more than I did, but I wasn't a huge fan of the limited toolkit (or the tools themselves) and it had a couple of lovely levels - I really hated the final mission

Yeah, well put - I agree. It just...I dunno, wasn't pieced together very well in my opinion, compared to the others. Just didn't really appeal to me, so I shelved it before reaching the end. I think you're right about the level design and the abilities/tools you're given

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shame to hear about death of the outsider. I haven’t finished DH2 yet but the DLC for the first one was excellent

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

i never finished my second run so I'm not sure but I hear it's not like that as much. one cool thing is you can play truly no powers or you can do NG+ where you can unlock Emily or Corvo's powers as you choose, which is neat. their kits do the same overall things but in very different ways so it's neat to combine them, especially the lethal ones lol. i think it's overall better than the first tbh, as well as being one of the few games with the two characters and two ability sets thing where I don't feel like there's an obvious better or more fun choice

i wish it were designed so you play as emily first then corvo for this reason. i wanted to feel like the characters play more differently but you can beat the game without powers so i guess that's not going to happen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got the tude now posted:

i wish it were designed so you play as emily first then corvo for this reason. i wanted to feel like the characters play more differently but you can beat the game without powers so i guess that's not going to happen.

it's better than nothing imo. it was kind of rough picking Emily first and realizing that she's really not designed to platform as precise as corvo, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Death of the Outsider has at least a cool plot and overall tone, leaning much harder into the cosmic horror aspect of the setting

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The bank mission is great and one of the best in the series but I do wish they experimented with powers more. Maybe they did in Deathloop but I haven't played it yet

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i love that level but some of the dogs are psychotically placed and some gaps are pretty hard to hit with billie's already hard to use teleport.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
New stealth game that came out a couple of weeks ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1355650/Filcher/

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

emily's blink was a lot more fun for me but i feel like the maps didn't really take advantage of its insane horizontal momentum

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongicus posted:

emily's blink was a lot more fun for me but i feel like the maps didn't really take advantage of its insane horizontal momentum

Your mum has insane horizontal momentum.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

New stealth game that came out a couple of weeks ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1355650/Filcher/

felcher

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dongicus posted:

game would have been better if there were two sets of maps designed around which character you picked yeah. the tentacle moves you so fast but mostly all it does is let you fling yourself off a roof by accident

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

got my first Ghost in Dishonored...feels epic. put all my runes into Blink and Agility, its cool walking into a new area and parsing the 40 different paths and then zipping through an area like a madman. these zones all feel tremendously dense, good rear end level design on display. kinda wanna play again and just shoot my way through to see what its like to just huck grenades and gently caress dudes up with the force explosion move.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
it's also a great experience. just play it twice, the second time you'll still find new stuff and finish the level faster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The masked party was cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The level design in Dishonored whips rear end

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One thing I liked about the first Dishonored was that taking lethal options with your targets is arguably merciful compared to some of the non-lethal ones

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The level design in Dishonored whips rear end

It's so good. I think the 2nd game might possibly be even better since there's less transitions. But the actual levels are a little less tight so it's a bit of a wash I guess.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

2 has two of the greatest levels in gaming imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
2's level design is weird because it's huge and amazing but you always feel like they could have put a bit more in. probably just the looser feel to the challenges in general, there are so many ways in and one of them is always, "crouch and wait"