Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mimi starts Adventure as the worst, most intolerable character, but she has a lot of growth into a compassionate person able to take a different road from the rest and still protect the world. That said, she's the one character where I prefer the Adventure: version, who keeps her compassionate nature, while also removing her whininess, reformulating her selfishness, and adding an interesting driver in her grandfather's teachings and her inherited attitude as a CEO. It does help that every Mimi episode is gold in a series that's usually mediocre.

Some Numbers posted:

Did she get a lot better in Tri? I remember her being the worst part of the first half of OG Adventure and developed to being merely good for the latter half.

Mimi in Tri is great because she takes no one's poo poo and the series agrees with her. Sadly she matters in one out of six films, but it's also the best one of the six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how much did Mimi get to do in DALEK?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I forget, how much did Mimi get to do in DALEK?

Absolutely nothing, it's Last Evolution. You're Taichi, Yamato, or you may as well not have appeared in it (or worse, you're Sora).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

womb with a view posted:

Are you thinking of dub Mimi? Dub Mimi was done extremely dirty by being localised as a valley girl stereotype. OG Mimi was a lot more nuanced

Definitely not thinking of dub Mimi, but I haven't watched the Dark Masters arc in a while.

She did get a LOT better in the later part of the Myotismon arc, I'll grant that.

She just was so bad in the Geckomon episode.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ruli is from one of the promotional pamphlets or something that had names written behind the characters in romaji.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m going to call her Ruri because that’s an actual name.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Do we know anything about staff or production that'll help me delude myself into thinking Ghost Game will be good?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

womb with a view posted:

She doesn't have much to do in 02 so Miyako might take over for her there

She makes up for it with her absolutely ridiculous outfits in that season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still kind of disappointed she ditched the cowboy hat after the original Adventure (and Colon of course) though.

Come to think of it, why was she dressed like a cowgirl initially anyway?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheHan posted:

Do we know anything about staff or production that'll help me delude myself into thinking Ghost Game will be good?

a lot of people from the really good 2018 Gegege no Kitaro series

though we probably won't get as anything as hardcore as GnK's "boss is sent to hell for overworking his employees to death" or "the yokai of Japan still have PTSD from WWII bombings"

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

The Golux posted:

Ruli is from one of the promotional pamphlets or something that had names written behind the characters in romaji.

drat. This is all I'm gonna think about if Crunchy makes me read Ruli for a year.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Sleeping Sigma posted:

drat. This is all I'm gonna think about if Crunchy makes me read Ruli for a year.

"Hi kids! I'm Ruli the Ruler! Is everyone excited to learn about measurements today?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

Still kind of disappointed she ditched the cowboy hat after the original Adventure (and Colon of course) though.

Come to think of it, why was she dressed like a cowgirl initially anyway?

Because why not? It's just summer camp.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Because why not? It's just summer camp.

Fair point (also isn’t at least one of her parents supposed to be from America or am I remembering wrong?)

Like I said, I wish she’d kept the hat at least (she looks too “normal” in 02 onwards in my opinion).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mimi getting the hat back in the 02 epilogue is one of the only good points of that shitshow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Mimi getting the hat back in the 02 epilogue is one of the only good points of that shitshow.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that (a pity it’s gone again in Tri and DALEK though).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If they do anything else to revisit the original Adventure continuity it really should be something focused on the Epilogue time period, specifically on the next generation having an adventure while their parents are all off busy with some new world ending threat to the Digital World, really explore what it means to have a Digimon Partner in a world that is approaching everyone having one and how that's just as likely to cause problems as much as it might solve them

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see a sequel to Colon where they just adapt the Myotismon and Dark Masters arc verbatim and pretend there's nothing jarring about it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Fair point (also isn’t at least one of her parents supposed to be from America or am I remembering wrong?)

You're remembering wrong, both of her parents are Japanese. She does live in America for a few years after Adventure though, returning only in Tri, but that's obviously after she wore the hat.

drrockso20 posted:

If they do anything else to revisit the original Adventure continuity it really should be something focused on the Epilogue time period, specifically on the next generation having an adventure while their parents are all off busy with some new world ending threat to the Digital World, really explore what it means to have a Digimon Partner in a world that is approaching everyone having one and how that's just as likely to cause problems as much as it might solve them

To some extent, Last Evolution went in that direction - Digimon are a known factor, a lot of people have Partner Digimon and those that don't, wish to get their own. Digimon have become a normal part of human society. Last Evolution does little to nothing with this, but the idea is there. 02 likely happens after Last Evolution so it'll continue being set in that world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're remembering wrong, both of her parents are Japanese. She does live in America for a few years after Adventure though, returning only in Tri, but that's obviously after she wore the hat.

Ah, that’s probably what I was thinking of. Nevermind then

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Blockhouse posted:

a lot of people from the really good 2018 Gegege no Kitaro series

though we probably won't get as anything as hardcore as GnK's "boss is sent to hell for overworking his employees to death" or "the yokai of Japan still have PTSD from WWII bombings"

Aaaaah yes, there we go, I'm a believer again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1443583229542338566

That they're using groups that are relatively new and haven't done anime songs before gives me hope, they're trying new things, unlike Adventure:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lol weinners

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Putting this under spoilers, but we got Gammamon's Adult and Perfect levels from his Dim Card. All four Adult levels, that is. Only one Perfect though.

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1443684043384557576
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1443684048279425026

My personal speculation is that the cast will be able to utilize Dim Cards to achieve different evolutions, but we'll see what actually happens. The dark Gammamon seems to be the evolution he'll get in episode 1, considering the silhouette. Also, all four flow really well from Gammamon, being colourful dinosaurs with three horns and a blue scarf.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

His Perfect seems like it might be intended as a combination of those three non-dark Adults, kind of like Examon on in that regard

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The adult railgun triceratops form rules. Though I'm sure he'll be in the red for like 90% of the time.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Aw man, These guys are more mechanical than I would've liked, I'm at least curious what the black dust his main forms have going on is all about.

Note this doesn't apply to gunheadtriceramon, who is perfect.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
As much as I would like to be happy about the new mons, the app update confirmed my fears. They cut the number of mons on each dim card while upping the price. :smith:

The Angoramon/Jellymon set (if they have the same # as Gammamon) will be 14 mons each at 1980 yen compared to the previous two packs with 17 mons each at 1760 yen.

Edit: Just noticed the image numbers aren't sequential so maybe there's still hope for hidden ultimates and a mega.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 30, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you look at the series promo poster, the dark/evil evolution is looming in the background.

Plus Gammamon has three shadows that match the colors of the other evolutions.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad he got at least one quadruped evolution. Makes me interested to see what they do with the other two.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm really digging those designs, especially the evil looking one. It's also neat that this is the first time in a while that a Digimon had multiple forms at roughly the same power, it kind of reminds me of how Kamen Riders do their powerups these days where they have a base form, then multiple forms on top of that for utility, then a form that outclasses the previous ones and then it's usually linear from there.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Gammamon's dim line has been fully updated and Angoramon and Jellymon's have been partially. I'll put Gammamon's in spoilers for folks who don't want to be spoiled. Angoramon and Jellymon have no new mons yet.

Gammamon:

Angoramon:

Jellymon:

Kinda feels like a waste to not put Ranamon and Calamaramon on Jellymon's dim what with AncientMermaimon on there, but oh well.

Edit: The secret truth of Angoramon revealed:

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 1, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Akett posted:

I'm really digging those designs, especially the evil looking one. It's also neat that this is the first time in a while that a Digimon had multiple forms at roughly the same power, it kind of reminds me of how Kamen Riders do their powerups these days where they have a base form, then multiple forms on top of that for utility, then a form that outclasses the previous ones and then it's usually linear from there.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the actual inspiration for this, considering how we have Vital Bracelets for Kamen Rider and Ultraman now.

Also it's sad that only Gammamon gets four evolutions, while the rest get only one. I guess it's his gimmick, but I would've liked everyone getting the same treatment.

We also got a new Vital Bracelet short!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-G64l2Yl0

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

All of Gammamon's evolutions appear to be named after stars, I wonder if his Ultimate form is going be something like "Polarismon" to follow the theme.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The reference art in this picture shows that Angoramon is super skinny underneath all that hair

That’s hilarious

Imagine if he gets wet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we have our Ghost Game OP:

https://twitter.com/Seasonal_OPs/status/1444454071629402114

Visuals are cool but I’m not sure how I feel about the song

Edit: Here’s the ED as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OHz3q9caDyY

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 3, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Booo make Angoramon's adult form rounder.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A really strong first episode. Actual mysteries that leave you wondering what lies ahead, a main character that clearly isn't just a perfect stock shounen archetype, and mildly creepy to boot. I'm eager to see more.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game episode one: well, I'm on board. It's a low bar and a bad comparison, but that first episode did more with the setting in about five minutes then Adventure 20 did in 67 episodes. Also, shoutouts to doing things like having characters talk to each other or have more than one personality trait or have conflict and drama, Kiyoshiro being pompous but fragile and bouncing off of Hiro was incredibly refreshing after about a year of Digimon where nobody actually interacted with each other.

Also, the moment Hiro pulled out some lockpicks to do a breaking and entering immediately blew me away. Goddamn it has been too long since I've been SURPRISED by something in Digimon, I think the last time was Dan Devimon eating Taichi? And it made for a really interesting juxtaposition on our lead, one scene after portraying him as a super nice and reliable and maybe a bit of a pushover, they do it again but what he's doing is so completely diametrically opposite from carrying boxes for a teacher it doubles up on the impact of doing it.

One episode is way too soon to tell, but this was significantly more promising to me than episode one of Adventure 20 and I am really hoping that's a trend. What they've shown of the setting is interesting, I'm digging the horror vibes, I like the cast so far, and I'm on board for the plot lines they've set up. I'm pulling for this show more than ever.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the character names are all meaningful. Amanokawa is a name for the "Milky Way" and his partner appears to be astronomy themed, Ruri's family name means "moon evening field" and her partner is a rabbit, and Higashimitarai means "East Hand Wash/washing" and he has those unexplained bandages on his right arm. Also Hiro is the Hero, but that goes without saying, but it's actually spelled "Space".

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Ghost Game thoughts:

OP/ED are alright. Have time to grow on me and even though the ED is basically a slideshow, I like the focus on the art there.

(episode spoilers below)

Actual episode reminded me far more of episode 1 of Kitaro (down to even the focus on social media) which is a break from most episode 1's we normally get in Digimon. Also made Clockmon to be far scarier than I think it's ever been in any other media. The arrival of Gammamon and the disappearance of Dad was rather fast paced and the rest of the episode basically sped off from there. Nice hinting with the stealing of the girls time at the beginning of the episode to allude to Gammamon's future evolution. (and it was nice that we didn't just go straight into an evolution either) With Clockmon not defeated this episode and the next seemingly focusing on Mummymon, it'll be interesting to see where that thread goes.

Also, it was kind of nice to see all 3 of the kids in parts of the episode but not all showing up with mons to start off. Some parallels to other series (Appmon) definitely with Ruli and (Young Hunters) with the Digital World that we see looks more like DigiQuartz.

I'd been avoiding much of the leadup to the show so I absolutely forgot about the product placement of the Digivice V so that was fun to rediscover.