Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC Witch Watch's first volume sold crazy well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

Suddenly remmebered reading something called Yuusha ga Shinda years ago when it had less than 50 or so chapters. I see now its been finished. Is it worth reading?

Just looked it up, saw the words "the hero" in the English title and I have now completely written it off as stupid bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Just looked it up, saw the words "the hero" in the English title and I have now completely written it off as stupid bullshit.
drat i cant believe they had the audacity to use the japanese word that translates to 'hero' in the title

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The hero literally dies in the first chapter (it's in the title)

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

drat i cant believe they had the audacity to use the japanese word that translates to 'hero' in the title

That's right. I don't have the time of day for comics that take place in jrpg world.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Too bad about Red Hood, I thought the art was pretty good

I'm worried now about Witch Watch :ohdear:

Is Red Hood officially cancelled?

Witch Watch's first book sold out in no time and needed an additional 2 print runs. Unless the sales fell off a cliff I think it's going to be thigh fine.

Pewdiepie posted:

That's right. I don't have the time of day for comics that take place in jrpg world.

If it helps, that really only informs like the first 5 chapters. After that it really doesn't factor into much.

I'm at chapter 64 of Yuusha ga Shinda! It's...a pretty good binge read. I feel like if I would've had to keep up with it as it released I would've fallen off. But if you read a lot of it in 1 go and ignore the constant groping from dad then it's pretty fun.(Thank god he left the party again) The lead makes good and inventive use of a terrible skill set and is still developing. Some of the guys are naked almost as often as the girls....so that's something. Then again, there are a lot more girls and this is a world where everyone is a pervert.
The leads fetish however can get a bit tiring.
But maybe Hiro Mashima has desensitized me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it's too early to call it canceled. I think series normally get to chapter 19.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it's too early to call it canceled. I think series normally get to chapter 19.

It really depends. Mostly, Jump seems to not lock things in until the first volume is released, just in case there's a smash hit not showing on the surveys.

Witch Watch seems to just be getting the usual shuffle, combined with doing worse in the surveys because Blue Box is taking a big chunk of the romcom vote. Red Hood, meanwhile, seems to actually be at risk.

Its best hope right now is that all three of the post Blue Box seem to be doing similarly bad. It's not enough to save a series, but it buys a little more breathing room most of the time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
If Red Hood dies at this point, I'd be disappointed. It had a super rocky start, but right now it's kinda finding its footing, and shows some real promise. I actually like it.

(Also big muscle lady.)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

god it truly is miserable to constantly frame series discussion around cancellation

i'm not sure what the post that even started this was on about other than some sky is falling ToC poo poo, since i found nothing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

god it truly is miserable to constantly frame series discussion around cancellation

i'm not sure what the post that even started this was on about other than some sky is falling ToC poo poo, since i found nothing

this

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

Oh, this week's TOC was posted and Red Hood and Neru are at the back again. It's relevant since well, we've consistently seen that correlated with cancellation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i no longer care about relevance

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Let's go the complete opposite route for discussion, then: when do series tend to get animated, and what series has the best chance of getting an anime next? Despite its rough start, I'd be stoked to see an Undead Unluck anime, since it has a pretty unique premise and some really creative and fun fights.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sakamoto Days :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

best chance is prob blue box. or monster #8 if you're not just counting what's in the magazine

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

e: double post, mouse is breaking rip

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yozakura gets color pages fairly often, it’s hitting chapter 100 this week, seems pretty popular in Japan. I wouldn’t be shocked if there’s something in the pipeline.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I realize I know basically nothing about Yozakura, I should probably give it a shot.

I'm also continually surprised by Blue Box's huge popularity. Like, the manga is fine, but it really doesn't come off as anything special imo. Is there something about it I'm missing because I'm not super familiar with romance series?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I realize I know basically nothing about Yozakura, I should probably give it a shot.

I'm also continually surprised by Blue Box's huge popularity. Like, the manga is fine, but it really doesn't come off as anything special imo. Is there something about it I'm missing because I'm not super familiar with romance series?

It's cute, it's earnest, and people love an awkward high school love story.

Good art helps too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
And Yozakura feels extremely like Reborn when it was a fighting manga, but hadn't gone off the rails yet.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hard for me to imagine Blue Box getting an anime series before more successful manga series, tbh.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i think chainsaw man should get an anime and it should release right now. Where is it Mappa :argh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

i think chainsaw man should get an anime and it should release right now. Where is it Mappa :argh:

It'll be done when it's done. They made a whole new studio for it, they apparently don't have a production committee, and the preview is absurdly gorgeous. They want this to be the best it can be, and that means it's taking longer than usual.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

attack on titan final season fan response take 2, let's go mappa

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Witch watch is totally getting an anime at some point.

I wouldn’t be surprised by Mashle either.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'd love a Magu-Chan anime but I get the feeling it won't happen.

On the other hand, Sakamoto Days anime or riot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sakamoto days needs a good animation studio. The panel flow is so good its already storyboarded.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sanda ch 4 Was not expecting the first villain to be Michael Jackson.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

attack on titan final season fan response take 2, let's go mappa

Unlikely. Mappa's animators worked their asses off on that one, but they were on an absurdly tight timetable and directly competing with a previous show.

Meanwhile, Chainsaw Man has been in the works since the first volume of the manga, and is getting all the time in the oven it needs. There's still going to be some pushback, because people complain about the flavor of free ice cream, but there will probably be less to point to.

No guarantees in this world, but Chainsaw Man not being amazing looking is... unlikely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

The link

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sanda's principal using his cane to pull his eyebrows angry was a great bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope manwhas are fine here because I don't know if I'm missing where other people are posting this one.

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

Since Medical Return is the same thing, I'm now a fan of 'The future's hosed, go back in time to fix it' stories now. Well those and Saike Mata Shitemo but anyway. It's like, a magic fantasy setting and a post apocalypse is where the story starts off, tons of people have died over the 10 years that the world's been like that and as they finally manage to kill the dragon it's heart explodes and he finds himself 10 years back in the past.

So he's got 10+ years of experience and foreknowledge of how things are going to go to poo poo in the future and he's acting on that now while he can like recruiting and training people who'll be killed earlier and getting them better training to hopefully prevent that and intercepting criminal attempts to steal magic artifacts. It's a lot better than I'm making it sound but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it or I just missed it.

I just hope it doesn't get cancelled next week.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i really do hope Yozakura hitting year 2 culminates in anime sooner than later, but at least of their early promo stuff the closest we got was more voiced comics (which are all over SJ properties that have yet to get anime). but hey, Jump Festa in a couple months i assume, so everybody cast your energy for something. Unluck is definitely in that same zone (overall length, success, a completed first arc or two) i'd expect it, and it'd be nice to see Vigilantes finally get one too.

chiasaur11 posted:

Unlikely. Mappa's animators worked their asses off on that one, but they were on an absurdly tight timetable and directly competing with a previous show.

Meanwhile, Chainsaw Man has been in the works since the first volume of the manga, and is getting all the time in the oven it needs. There's still going to be some pushback, because people complain about the flavor of free ice cream, but there will probably be less to point to.

No guarantees in this world, but Chainsaw Man not being amazing looking is... unlikely.

eh, i'm not really viewing it from a production standpoint as much as one of expectations. the narrative is basically already set on the quality the show will have so w/e, but having seen the toxicity of the shonen anime community i just figure the second csm "falls" to looking like something normal or god forbid a bit off, it will unleash at least some of that crap.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

RareAcumen posted:

I hope manwhas are fine here because I don't know if I'm missing where other people are posting this one.

Since Medical Return is the same thing, I'm now a fan of 'The future's hosed, go back in time to fix it' stories now. Well those and Saike Mata Shitemo but anyway. It's like, a magic fantasy setting and a post apocalypse is where the story starts off, tons of people have died over the 10 years that the world's been like that and as they finally manage to kill the dragon it's heart explodes and he finds himself 10 years back in the past.

So he's got 10+ years of experience and foreknowledge of how things are going to go to poo poo in the future and he's acting on that now while he can like recruiting and training people who'll be killed earlier and getting them better training to hopefully prevent that and intercepting criminal attempts to steal magic artifacts. It's a lot better than I'm making it sound but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it or I just missed it.

I liked that series until it introduced the game like elements. its hard to have dramatic tension when a lot of the stuff that happens won't actually matter.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RareAcumen posted:

There actually is an old Manhwa thread that occasionally gets posted in, but it could honestly use a reboot, the thread is almost a decade old!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sindai posted:

Took a little while to get the overarcing plot started but its interesting now.

The Principal is a lot of fun

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Hard for me to imagine Blue Box getting an anime series before more successful manga series, tbh.

not saying it'll be next but out of the current set of series in jump, it's definitely the most likely to have one imo

the others don't feel like they have the same momentum behind them

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there any rhyme or reason for something getting an anime adaptation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone with money thinks it will make money