Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dunno-Lars posted:

Question: Wouldn't venting a kitchen hood into a chimney just add a ton of flammable grease to the inside of the chimney, as I doubt you'll have enough pressure to push the grease all the way out?

The bulk of the grease condensates in the steel vent filter inserts that you can see inside the hood, which are spotless in the picture and indicate no real use.

It would take months of regular cooking at that range and grill top to even get a light coat of poo poo on those filters. And the biggest thing to gum them up, a deep fryer, isn't even there.

Of all the kitchens I've worked in, including places that are mostly deep fryers like Hooters, we rarely cleaned those filter inserts more than once a month, and it was always an ordeal. Like, break out the pressure washer kind of pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hit that poo poo with lye.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What would it matter? Also you could add a top fan (or whatever they're called in English) to the... top of the chimney. It would be nice in Summer anyway.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Of all the kitchens I've worked in, including places that are mostly deep fryers like Hooters, we rarely cleaned those filter inserts more than once a month, and it was always an ordeal. Like, break out the pressure washer kind of pain in the rear end.

And did you notice what was behind those filters? Yep, more hood system fire suppression nozzles. Because grease fires in the exhausts of poorly maintained hood systems is absolutely a thing.

But the requirements for commercial hoods are wildly different than residential. Even in resi, you aren't just venting to an open chimney. It would have to be lined, and if it's a long run you're going to lose a lot of performance, especially on resi equipment.

Adding a booster fan is well beyond the scope of residential installs. I'm not aware of any that are actually approved as part of a hood system. You're basically looking at some gigantic commercial contraption with a commercial hood at this point. Even if you didn't care about the costs you're now looking at a loud, huge, ugly thing that sends cold air down your back as you stand at the stove.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Motronic posted:

And did you notice what was behind those filters? Yep, more hood system fire suppression nozzles. Because grease fires in the exhausts of poorly maintained hood systems is absolutely a thing.

But the requirements for commercial hoods are wildly different than residential. Even in resi, you aren't just venting to an open chimney. It would have to be lined, and if it's a long run you're going to lose a lot of performance, especially on resi equipment.

Adding a booster fan is well beyond the scope of residential installs. I'm not aware of any that are actually approved as part of a hood system. You're basically looking at some gigantic commercial contraption with a commercial hood at this point. Even if you didn't care about the costs you're now looking at a loud, huge, ugly thing that sends cold air down your back as you stand at the stove.

Oh yeah, well aware of the fire suppression stuff, but I've never seen it set off because I worked in mostly competent kitchens.

There's a reason there are companies that go around cleaning and certifying commercial hood vents. If the health department didn't enforce some sort of outside service to clean and inspect them yearly, I don't doubt that every kitchen I've worked in would have burned to the ground.

I just don't think a rich rear end in a top hat cooking a handful of meals a month is going to do much in terms of accumulating grease in the condensate traps, especially without a fryer running 16 hours a day. It's definitely dumb as hell to have in a residential kitchen, and I agree that it's unnecessary, but rich idiots gonna rich idiot.

I would not mind watching that kitchen burn to the ground though.

Platystemon posted:

I hit that poo poo with lye.

We used whatever we had in the kitchen. Often it was just knockoff Dawn and a variety of toilet brushes.

I don't miss working in kitchens.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 30, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't see how grease in my chimney is worse than grease behind my spice cabinet :shrug:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't see how grease in my chimney is worse than grease behind my spice cabinet :shrug:

Only an issue if you actually use the fireplace. If you're using a fireplace regularly, you should also have a chimney sweep regularly maintaining them anyhow. A creosote log can only do so much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Only an issue if you actually use the fireplace. If you're using a fireplace regularly, you should also have a chimney sweep regularly maintaining them anyhow. A creosote log can only do so much.

There is no fireplace.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

the kitchen used to have a wood-fired oven

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^
Talk about ruining a kitchen....

packetmantis posted:

Is Jesus taping when you pray it stays there?

Duct tape is known as jesus tape in Finland.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 30, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've got a range hood that doesn't vent. Or, I guess, it might vent into the space between the wall behind the stove and my spice cabinet.

Is that even legal here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have a guy named “Enrique” sweep your chimney

Five minutes later: We regret to inform you that Enrique has ball cancer.

Heads up: there’s an antique sketch of diseased male genitals in that link.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is that even legal here?

The gently caress do I know, I rent from a state-owned entity. Who is going to sue who?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Duct tape is known as jesus tape in Finland.

lol cool

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There is no fireplace.

Okay, missed that part.

I don't spend much time reading the listings of places like that.

Platystemon posted:

lol if you don’t have a guy named “Enrique” sweep your chimney

Five minutes later: We regret to inform you that Enrique has ball cancer.

Heads up: there’s an antique sketch of diseased male genitals in that link.

The only time I've had a fireplace, it was gas and only had a vent, no chimney (in Memphis, of all places to not need a fireplace). And that's probably the case for the bulk of fireplaces that aren't in mansions these days.

But I did know a guy in Nashville that made really good money sweeping chimneys around the rich parts of town (Brentwood, Green Hills, Franklin). He probably has ball cancer now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"Hear me out. How about we make the easy way to go up outdoor steps even more dangerous by making them diagonal with no handrail?"

God help you if you're blind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think even god can see that picture.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

kid sinister posted:

"Hear me out. How about we make the easy way to go up outdoor steps even more dangerous by making them diagonal with no handrail?"

God help you if you're blind.

Isn't there a handrail on the left side leading up to the door?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Rip to all the right shins that didn't make it up

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

I was reccomended to buy screws for steel when working on older homes and toss any that come with fixtures for the same reason. That old lumber was tough.

I've heard the same thing. Hell, it may have been from you in this or another thread!
Can confirm. The 1964 wood in my house is tough enough. I can only imagine the timbers in an older house.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Is that even legal here?

Most cheaply made homes have a recirculating exhaust fan above the range. Greasy air goes in the bottom and out vents in the top (directed above your head). Disposable filters collect the grease and you replace them every year or so.

The system I bought for my house has the option of venting outside via a duct or back into the room. It still uses filters because who wants to scrub inaccessible ducts?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My previous house and my current one both have recirculating vents mounted on exterior walls where it's a holesaw and some parts away from being properly vented. It's incredibly aggravating.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I've heard the same thing. Hell, it may have been from you in this or another thread!
Can confirm. The 1964 wood in my house is tough enough. I can only imagine the timbers in an older house.

Yah I say it a lot. For a few extra dollars you can have quality screws for any project and never have to open a coke baggie with questionable hardware again.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Motronic posted:

you're now looking at a loud, huge, ugly thing that sends cold air down your back as you stand at the stove.

*makes "call me" gesture*

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Blistex posted:

Most cheaply made homes have a recirculating exhaust fan above the range. Greasy air goes in the bottom and out vents in the top (directed above your head). Disposable filters collect the grease and you replace them every year or so.

The system I bought for my house has the option of venting outside via a duct or back into the room. It still uses filters because who wants to scrub inaccessible ducts?

I've renovated plenty of old apartment buildings (in Finland) and we always severed the old exhaust fan exits since they were piped to the ventilation shafts back in the day. And very often they had lovely fans with no filters. According to the contracts the home owner was responsible for replacing the unit, but I presume they seldom did.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Blistex posted:

Disposable filters collect the grease and you replace them every year or so.

You mean lifetime filters "collect" the grease/oil and you never, ever replace them or even run them through the dishwasher.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think the system where the filter changes colour (from white to pink) as it gets dirty is pretty cool. You can see it through the vent grate.

e: Sorry, that's not crappy, that's actually good.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Stolen from Reddit. This is a "subpanel" for a range...

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

kid sinister posted:

Stolen from Reddit. This is a subpanel for a range...

NO NO NO … NO

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:catstare: I did not request a self-irrigating ladder

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

hm, don't like that in particular!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon posted:

:catstare: I did not request a self-irrigating ladder

It’s a fish ladder.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Stolen from Reddit. This is a "subpanel" for a range...

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's also a second neutral to ground bond going on there, right?

Nevermind, i thought that right thing was a wire nut, it's just exiting the box

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 2, 2021

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

hm, don't like that in particular!!

Who would've thought, running 2 runs of 10/3 instead of 1 run of 8/3 and then using a busbar lug in an improper manner would melt the bigger wire?

Oddly enough, using a subpanel as a junction box with abandoned breakers inside is allowed. However, using the busbar lug as a junction is not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Oddly enough, using a subpanel as a junction box with abandoned breakers inside is allowed. However, using the busbar lug as a junction is not.

I had a "I've been IBEW 98 for 20 years I KNOW WHAT IM DOING" electrician try to tell me using various pieces of wood he'd salvaged out of the previous flooded basement of the restaurant I was inspecting to sign off to get it re-energized by the power company was "the right way to keep the bugs off the metal" when you use the old flooded out breaker box as a service entrance junction to the new panel.

I informed him that he wasn't doing work in Philadelphia and he wasn't getting a sticker for that kind of work here.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Those are cool stairs, for a game in which there is no fall damage.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Obligatory "I have big feet and would love tripping and killing myself on those stairs" post.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Having trouble deciding if those are made of wood or rectangular box steel cut on angles. Probably not though , as steel steps like that would probably weigh 400 pounds each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hey, at least it has a handrail. I've seen similarly bad stairs that don't have one at all.