Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
G'day Might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I love the confirmation that All Might is globally beloved. Because I love All Might. It's what he deserves

also dude needs to buy jeans that fit

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I love when Officer Meow Meow Fuzzyface shows up, and seeing him in a tac vest is bonus points.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Huge 'im here for specific plot device/instant death' vibes from Yall Might there'.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wudz posted:

would the australian version be All Mate or Vege Might :thunk:

vege might is very funny, thank you

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think I like that Horikoshi is speedrunning right to the end.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

We can only hope for more spinoffs

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

I don't think I like that Horikoshi is speedrunning right to the end.

I'm okay with it, I think. I don't think he has the juice to keep the story going in a satisfactory way

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gal Might mostly makes me interested in a spinoff prequel about what the hell All Might was up to in the US while reinventing himself as the most American man on Earth

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And so far, it doesn't really feel rushed, like it feels like we're going to a natural end here. Better to end when the ending's good rather than get dragged out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IDK weird to name your manga hero school and have basically only half a year of school

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay but do you think Horikoshi has another 14 years left in him

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

their actual diplomas are from the School of Hard Knocks

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but do you think Horikoshi has another 14 years left in him

does he have a terminal disease?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And like the parts where they're doing school stuff are the least interesting parts.

Kild posted:

Yeah, he was diagnosed with being a weekly mangaka.

But also I just meant in narrative steam.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

It's called "a typical manga author's schedule"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think if it wasn't for vigilantes i would have lost interest in MHA a while ago, the constant punch-ups didn't do much for me past the villain academia arc

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I know all eyes are on Miss America here, but hot drat do I love cat cop, give me a manga that's just the adventures of cat cop.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did Cat Cop always have that scar? :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Cat Cop always have that scar? :ohdear:

The times are rough on everyone

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think we’re definitely in endgame territory but I suspect we’re also not quite as close as this chapter makes it sound

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
She's officially blue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

She's officially blue.

Does she have a frigging name yet?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Does she have a frigging name yet?
Nope!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Her name is...

All For One :twisted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd that this character is sticking around for a bit yet we still don’t know who the hell she is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, isn't kind of the point of the character that she's no one? Sort of, anyway?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
She’s Deku’s father

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

christmas boots posted:

She’s Deku’s father

actually she's his wife

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I mean, isn't kind of the point of the character that she's no one? Sort of, anyway?

On one hand yes on the other hand you can be a minor character and still have a name.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

blue freak

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Hogama posted:

She's officially blue.

still would

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kild posted:

actually she's his wife

No Deku don’t marry your dad

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

christmas boots posted:

No Deku don’t marry your dad

*in Christopher Lloyd voice* NO DEKU DON'T MARRY YOUR DAD

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*in Paul Jerricho voice* "No Deku, don't marry your dad."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Waffleman_ posted:

And so far, it doesn't really feel rushed, like it feels like we're going to a natural end here. Better to end when the ending's good rather than get dragged out.

Im 50/50 on this. Some bits definitely do feel rushed. The Mirio quirk reversal, Deku speed running all of the previous users powers etc, but given Shigarakis power set there's no way to keep the story realistically going for anything that isn't essentially the final battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

This specific arc we're in now doesn't feel rushed, but getting here sure as hell does. We went from "school festivals and kids taking classes on how to be heroes" to "kids participating in a giant open street war between heroes and villains that collapses known society to the point where much of Japan is in ruins and civilians have to hide in shelters" in less than a year - Class A vs Class B ended in February 2019 and the war started ~November 2019, and a significant amount of the issues in that gap were My Villain Academia.

Deku's development is also hyper-accelerated; it went from "Deku's discovered that his additional quirks exist and is working on mastering Blackwhip's use and integrating it into his combat style before moving on to not overload himself" to "Deku has learned and activated all of his additional powers and now uses them with sufficient proficiency that he's an All Might caliber titan who even top pro heroes acknowledge as their ultimate secret weapon" virtually off-panel.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think we just have to put it down to Horikoshi not appreciating how long it would end up taking, the eternal curse of mangakas and webcomic artists alike, and messing up how far the main story was progressing compared to the growth of the students. Everything that needed revealing in the main story before the final arc could begin was cleared out in a few chapters after the war arc, while the kids were improving at a much more glacial pace. There perhaps could have been another arc before the Tartarus breakout, a bit more training for the students etc, but really he needed to reveal Deku's extra quirks much earlier than he did, and have much bigger time jumps between semesters and school years. Or just drag the series on for an extra hundred chapters or two, but that clearly isn't something he wants to do, and there wouldn't have been much for the League of Villains to do in the meantime.

It's still a good series, but also a good lesson in how sometimes you can just write yourself into a corner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I definitely meant more in the current moment that it seems to be naturally coming to a conclusion. And in terms of long running shonen, I'd rather it go out while there's still some steam left in it than drag it out for years longer than it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I’m cool with this going out on a high note and Hoshikori just writing his true passion: My Hero Academia, But Starring Batman.