Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I think Karen has either gotten out or was taken, I can't find her in the backyard and there's no sign of her in my cameras after 11:30am

The other two are huddled together, not sure if that's an indication of a predator or not.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

oh no stay safe Karen :ohdear:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Neighbor found her dead in his yard. Bye Karen. :(

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Meyer Hatchery?

Yep, Meyer. I’ve ordered from them a few times now and had good results.

One chick, I think the Cream Legbar Meal Maker died today. She seemed healthy so I don’t know what the cause was :(

Sorry about Karen, Mustache Ride. Could you tell what had happened to her?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Rain past couple of days opened a hole in our fence, and it's possible one of his dogs cornered her. Can't see any bite marks and no blood though. Not really sure what happened honestly

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 9, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mustache Ride posted:

Neighbor found her dead in his yard. Bye Karen. :(

Oh that is so sad. Fly high, little one.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
rest in peace little karen :(

this morning brought terrible, terrible news. scrubtit has died.

she was totally fine yesterday, active and glossy, and had even begun to vocalise after seven months of silence - she said ribbit ribbit ribbit, and i even heard a pi-pi-pi-pi-pyu~ - but she died during the night. there were no external injuries at all, but her beak and throat were full of blood. i have no idea what could have happened, there doesn't seem to be anything around she could have eaten that would cause that kind of injury, and she did struggle to thrive as a chick and grow more slowly than the others. so unless the other birds get sick, i'm going to just guess it was some kind of internal defect that ruptured.

i don't often cry when the quail die, but i wept openly while burying her in the orchard. and i sang our special song:

(to the tune of "you send me")
you-u-u-u scrubby
i know you-u-u-u scrubby
darling you-u-u-u scrubby
scrubby the tit! scrubby the tit! scrubby the tit!

now i have a dilemma. i had sworn to myself not to hatch any more quail eggs this year. but she was my special little teacup, and now there are three scrubtit eggs sitting on the shelf, watching me silently... waiting.

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 2, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
scrubby was still fresh enough when i found her that i was able to feel for any large foreign objects or malformations of the crop. everything felt fine. it was a lot of blood, so if it was a blockage it could have only been a sharp object and i think i would have still been able to feel it from the outside. that's why i'm more leaning toward some sort of hernia or aneurysm :( she and quimmix were ghost babies, born two days after their father died and like five before their mother did, (and i think both oberon and nina were deeply inbred) so i guess they were never long for this world.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

rest in peace little karen :(

this morning brought terrible, terrible news. scrubtit has died.

she was totally fine yesterday, active and glossy, and had even begun to vocalise after seven months of silence - she said ribbit ribbit ribbit, and i even heard a pi-pi-pi-pi-pyu~ - but she died during the night. there were no external injuries at all, but her beak and throat were full of blood. i have no idea what could have happened, there doesn't seem to be anything around she could have eaten that would cause that kind of injury, and she did struggle to thrive as a chick and grow more slowly than the others. so unless the other birds get sick, i'm going to just guess it was some kind of internal defect that ruptured.

i don't often cry when the quail die, but i wept openly while burying her in the orchard. and i sang our special song:

(to the tune of "you send me")
you-u-u-u scrubby
i know you-u-u-u scrubby
darling you-u-u-u scrubby
scrubby the tit! scrubby the tit! scrubby the tit!

now i have a dilemma. i had sworn to myself not to hatch any more quail eggs this year. but she was my special little teacup, and now there are three scrubtit eggs sitting on the shelf, watching me silently... waiting.

:smith: sorry about scrubtit

As someone who just got a bunch of chicks in the mail, just so that I could get a certain designer mutt chicken, I have nothing to say about the siren song of the eggs.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i'm making an effort not to form chick this year because it's so easy to get addicted to the adorable baby stage and pump out dozens of chicks with no long-term plan in mind for them. and even though scrubtit was a gorgeous bird, she and all that group all had probable genetic problems, so it's not a line i need to preserve (i'm learning that human-friendliness in quail is much less about bloodlines, much more about how the chicks are raised and how stressed the parents are during the miraculous creation of the egg).

to avoid temptation, i took the eggs to the orchard and gave them to the ravens.

speaking of which, the good news is... the ravens have had another baby! :neckbeard: i am now down to three quail, but up to six ravens.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I am so sorry about Karen and scrubtit. I'm not sure if it's better or worse when you can't determine a cause, and it still sucks regardless :sympathy:

There's often a lot of loss in this thread and then there's also a lot of joy mixed in, like seriously:

Those fluffbums :kimchi:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Enfys posted:

There's often a lot of loss in this thread and then there's also a lot of joy mixed in, like seriously:

Those fluffbums :kimchi:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh no, Karen and Scrubtit. :smith:

I also sing songs to our girls. Over time I have trained myself to interpret Cheddar's looks of abject bafflement as a form of appreciation.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So sorry to hear of scrubtit.

Willow is doing fine with Molly, Bella and Nova, though she has managed to move herself from bottom hen status to above Nova (mainly because Nova is a gentle soul with only 6 months experience of freedom and Willow is an eight and a half year old chicken with attitude).

Couple of days ago Willow started a sudden and huge moult. She currently has no tail feathers at all.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

She looks like she'll mess you up if you dare to comment on her stubby bum

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

She looks like she'll mess you up if you dare to comment on her stubby bum

Willow does seem to be able to eye you accusingly and give a little "humph" of displeasure. She's an elderly lady that doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Just had to pick her up and Gentian Violet spray her just below the vent as Bella keeps following her around to pluck out the new feathers coming through. Poor Willow was terrified of being picked up but calmed down pretty quickly (with help from mealworms).

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
thank you for the condolences in memory of scrubtit. she only lived for seven months but she was an extraordinary little bird. she only started laying this week too, i think the strain was too much for her.

spookygonk posted:

Couple of days ago Willow started a sudden and huge moult. She currently has no tail feathers at all.

seconding that willow looks ferocious and strong, i would defer to her

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the person i got oberon and his hens from - scrubby's parents - was matter-of-fact that japanese quail only live about a year and a half, two at the most, before they just conk out and drop dead. (reminder, felafel was 6 when he died in glorious combat)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
quail is not a big industry yet in australia, so sometimes i contemplate how much it would cost to just buy out every single quail breeder in the state, make them sign a contract they would never own quail again, and take all their birds for myself. singlehandedly monopolising the regional evolutionary direction of the species, Coturnix japonica australis

unfortunately some of the biggest quail producers in nsw are mafia (confirmed truth, i have a friend) so probably out of my reach, financially

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 3, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
we would end up with endemic urban quail, like pigeons

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

For those who are trying to get into quail: Quail Party! A beginner's guide to quails

quote:

QUAIL PARTY is 80 fun-filled pages of information about raising the domesticated Japanese Coturnix Quail (Coturnix japonica) for pleasure and as a low-maintenance food source.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

StrixNebulosa posted:

For those who are trying to get into quail: Quail Party! A beginner's guide to quails

:kimchi: how delightful! thank you for sharing

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A buddy of mine offered me 2 of his toddlers to replace Karen. Brought them home today.

I'm worried one of these cheep cheeps might be a rooster.

Thinking of Orange and Popcorn on the names.

Foghorn and Sandwich were not impressed with the new cheep cheeps

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they're cute

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Orange and Popcorn are great names for them

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

Orange and Popcorn are great names for them

Yes they are.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Comet is still getting better. I'm wondering if she got some sort of injury and got an electrolyte imbalance because the others didn't let her drink.

Her nails are a little long. She hasn't been able to scratch and wear them down. I might look into how to trim them.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alterian posted:

Comet is still getting better. I'm wondering if she got some sort of injury and got an electrolyte imbalance because the others didn't let her drink.

Her nails are a little long. She hasn't been able to scratch and wear them down. I might look into how to trim them.
comet is such a beautiful soft colour, i especially like the contrast with her golden friend

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
just like dogs are wolves that remain puppies emotionally all their lives, quail are chickens whose survival skills never develop past those of an egg

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

This little Lakeshore Egger is the bravest of the bunch. When I set my hand in the brooder she is the first to approach. And obv she was the only one to come check out my phone. So cute.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

so cute it hurts :kimchi:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Joburg posted:

This little Lakeshore Egger is the bravest of the bunch. When I set my hand in the brooder she is the first to approach. And obv she was the only one to come check out my phone. So cute.
she looks like a force to be reckoned with already :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

she looks like a force to be reckoned with already :3:

Oh god yes.

Alterian posted:

Yay Comet! She's such a lovely colouring.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Joburg posted:

Hello! :love:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

I love her ❤️

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Joburg posted:

good peeper :hai:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Joburg posted:

This will either be Head Chicken, or The Guardian. Our boldest chick became The Guardian - always first to investigate, most likely to keep watch from the coop, etc. Our Head Chicken was more first to eat, best comb/lobes/wattles, and fattest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think I will call her Goldie unless someone comes up with something more clever.