Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

KellHound posted:

I really enjoy reading people's out there theories. I think Preston's and folks who have similar theories to him, are ones that have an internal logic but forget that it's a book so sometimes lines are a metaphor or symbolism. Like his theory about Dorne's master plan and how Doran's plans so far have been pretty dumb even though everyone talks about how smart he is. So it's this long list of evidence that Doran and Oberan had this complicated master play and all these spies. But I think the simpler answer is Doran has realized it's too late for revenge/his revenge would only get innocent civilian's killed, so his stupid plans are just busy work for his kids. He is letting the blood orange go bad while he enjoys watching the children of Dorne be safe. Preston pulling at all the implied info and the inconsistencies in what characters say, but GRRM has been working on this over 20 years, of coarse he is gonna make mistakes.

Edit: My favorite out their theories are that dragons are aliens and everyone is a psychic not a magic user, Lil Robert Arryn is a secret Greenseer, and that littlefinger is secret greenseer.

What.. he obviously had a plan his plan was to ally with secret targ and or targ queen.

It seems so obvious to me the deal is to marry his daughter to Gryff super-secret targ and his son with Daenarys super not secret targ, probably the plan was to get the dothraki horde over and then kill them in some way once they'd defeated Robert. His brother is obviously cosmpolitan and well-traveled and he's Mr poison guy who fucks, and they were working hand in glove and probably setting up minor houses and or another major house to align with the Targaryens once they really invade.

I don't know that George Rape Rape Martin had that all planned out exactly, he doesn't write that way (or at all anymore, boosh) he's a "gardener" but he was obviously "sowing the seeds" of yet another elaborate plan orchestrated via ravens that travel near the speed of sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

One of my favorite theories is that Ned warged into the pigeon that Arya stabbed.
lmao yes

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I think Preston had one where Ned lost to Jaime because someone warged into a horse. Definitely going to be paying attention to the horses if I read that book again.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

On that topic, a good old one:

https://clickhole.com/when-i-started-writing-game-of-thrones-i-didn-t-know-1825123843/

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

oh no.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I appreciate that the AltShiftX dude is slowly going through his own personal Bad Thread experience without (to my knowledge) ever actually experiencing the Bad Thread for himself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Among all that has been said about George and the time is taking him to finish Winds, little is mentioned about the book itself, its content, themes and about what it all may be meaning to him on a very personal level outside his career as a writer.

Namely, the passage of time, death and the winter that comes to us all.

In the last 10 years not only we saw the end of GoT, surpassing George in finishing his own story and revealing secrets for him rather than by his own handwriting in his books.

He has also lost friends and loved ones, people he admired, took inspiration from or looked up to to the passage of time, which will one day take him too.

Unless tragedy has visited us prematurely, few can relate to the idea and reality of death as a person well into his years. Old age is a long farewell, a continuous line of people and things to which it is time to say goodbye for good.

It reminds me, rather, of what Mickey says to Rocky:

"[...] little by little we lose our friends, we lose everything, we keep losing and losing until we say, 'You know, what the hell am I living around here, I got no reason to go on.'"

George is in the twilight of his life, in the home stretch, the winter of his years.

Some like to be cynical and overtly offensive or insensitive about it and point this out with crude comments about how George is going to die before he finishes his books, when perhaps that is exactly why he seems to be having such a hard time with them.

Winds of Winter, as we already know, will probably be the darkest book in the saga. Winter finally arrives, and with it decay, suffering, loss, sorrow, death and silence like in any other part of the story. Things will get bad, really bad, before they get any better.

Perhaps, knowing what the clock is signaling to him now, the way George is approaching this book and the themes he wants to explore and conclude after decades of build up has changed.

Perhaps his vision has changed not only because of the show and its ending, but also because of the reality of his own end alongside characters who will know theirs as well.

I guess what I mean is, this book may be more personal now to him than we think and rather than be a source of inspiration, it is weighing down on him.

The pressure alone must be enough already to crush most of us, but add to it that writing this book may also be a way for George to deal and cope with his own fears and demons regarding death now that he can probably see it coming more than ever before in all his years.

With that in mind, I think one can try to empathize more with him at a deeper level...

Anyway, thanks for reading up until here, just some thoughts I wanted to share.

PS: I forgot to mention that all this came to me after George's recent post on his blog during his birthday.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

PS: I forgot to mention that all this came to me after George's recent post on his blog during his birthday.

Wait, is this a real sympathy post for a rich guy who is too lazy to work and complete the contract he signed?

I thought this was one of those things where we pull a quote from an idiot on reddit, not homegrown.

Isn't homegrown banned now?

Mods?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It is from reddit

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If a real person typed that out id like very much to get them in a headlock and give them a noogie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Almost as good as grandpa.txt

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Literally every 73 year old ever is gonna experience the pain of losing the people they looked up to in their lives while growing up because they would all have to be even older so yes they’re going to die. This is not some uniquely unfair Cross that GRRM bears. If he feels that he doesn’t want to try and push this boulder up the hill anymore because he doesn’t have much time left he can say so and people would accept it. But he won’t and instead keeps picking up new projects to do every few months so lol.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/1442516631624708100

Good. I hope it makes GRRM miserable.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Winter finally arrives...

Where are my loving ice spiders?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Our only hope for the books to come out is Eli to call him out on the Mannings's show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone needs to tell this dope about GRRM's rich guy hobbies of buying a railroad and trying to build a literal loving castle before painting him as some sad old geezer sitting alone in a barren one-bedroom.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmao GRRM confirmed on some live cast today that despite lying two years ago or whatever that he wasn’t going to be writing for the upcoming spinoff he actually helped write the pilot and the entire series structure.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah I went and looked up this "Red Door" theory and it's pure pareidolia.

Thank you for that vocab word, I hadn't seen it before. It is also worth noting that after I started doing acid in highschool, my visual pareidolia increased significantly. I often think I should just start sketching what I see - mostly on wall patterns.

My mom is much like preston that way, reading meaning at a depth the author never intended. Is there additional language that revolves around that concept of digging beyond the depth of the source material? This is a common problem in video games - specific to the resolution of images. Or at least it used to be. Where one aspect of the game hints at depth that isn't there, creating a confusing experience. So you have drawers that never open, doors that are eternally locked, and it ends up creating a cardboard like feel to things. Or at some level it just becomes so much noise.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, I mean sometimes it seems like he can have blinders on and other times he missed one of the 200,000 sentences in each book that debunks a theory. All I'm saying is that I've seen "Tyrion is a Targaryen" and "Bran is every Bran in history" espousers think that "Ned made a deal with the Daynes" is the craziest thing they've ever heard.

I get this. IMHO it is because some of these theories make sense in terms of overarching themes of the books, or because they are seen as possibilities, not fact. And many of prestons theories are these vast contraptions that require a number of minor details to add up to something larger - usually something that seems vastly detached from the books. Tyrion being a targ isn't that far fetched - His name is literally a synonym for the purple dye of royalty, and it's not a big jump to go from a "black" colored eye to a "purple" eye. But the biggest difference is most people who promote these theories aren't treating them like obvious facts. And I feel like Preston does, and he uses evidence from the book as if every word was carefully crafted and interlinked. It's his confidence about outlandish theories that makes him seen crazy imo. To be fair, I haven't seen much of his past his original youtube videos. So maybe that is different now.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

writing this book may also be a way for George to deal and cope with his own fears and demons regarding death

What makes you think he is writing TWOW? Seems clear he has much better poo poo to be doing.

And if he is actually working on it, so far he really isn't that "late" compared to his last one. It was 11 years between ASOS and ADWD... Feast was literally half a book. It was 11 years between Jon chapters. So I wouldn't read too much into any sort of delay being brought about by his perceptions of the book and it's role in his life. He didn't write quickly when it mattered, and he sure as poo poo won't write quickly now that it doesn't. I think the only thing that would really inspire him to write would be if he found a way to rewrite the ending, and that ending was very clever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao GRRM confirmed on some live cast today that despite lying two years ago or whatever that he wasn’t going to be writing for the upcoming spinoff he actually helped write the pilot and the entire series structure.

I'm not sure if I believe anything he says about what he has or hasn't written.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd frankly prefer the GRRM show to whatever seasons 5+ were.

That said I don't care about the dragon blondes and prolly won't watch, but still

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TERFherder posted:

I'm not sure if I believe anything he says about what he has or hasn't written.

If he says he hasn't written anything I believe him

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

If he says he hasn't written anything I believe him

If he says anything I believe he hasn't written anything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’ll come out that he never actually wrote any of the books and the person who did died a decade ago.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

pseudanonymous posted:

What.. he obviously had a plan his plan was to ally with secret targ and or targ queen.

It seems so obvious to me the deal is to marry his daughter to Gryff super-secret targ and his son with Daenarys super not secret targ, probably the plan was to get the dothraki horde over and then kill them in some way once they'd defeated Robert. His brother is obviously cosmpolitan and well-traveled and he's Mr poison guy who fucks, and they were working hand in glove and probably setting up minor houses and or another major house to align with the Targaryens once they really invade.

I don't know that George Rape Rape Martin had that all planned out exactly, he doesn't write that way (or at all anymore, boosh) he's a "gardener" but he was obviously "sowing the seeds" of yet another elaborate plan orchestrated via ravens that travel near the speed of sound.

Okay, my post is more a response to Prestons theories, which can be summed up at "Everyone keeps talking about how good Doran is at playing the game and how smart he is, but relying on a secret marriage for over a decade is dumb. Then his back up plan is send his not very good looking/socially awkward kid to charm a woman who is in a great beauty with a powerful army is an equally dumb plan, not to mention he sends said kid to her with almost no back up making the plan dumber. Therefore he most have this giant complicated plan and has a dozen minor characters as spies. They are all planning to put Martells on the throne." and upon hearing that I'm like it's more likely have this is all just to busy work to keep the more revenge focus factions busy.

So likelihood of what Doran is up to:

The straightforward targ alliance is more likely than my theory. But my theory is more likely than Preston's. But my theory is more based on Doran wanting to protect the common people more than any other noble.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
A large part of it is that the books have been put for so long that what would count as a twist now seems totally obvious. Thus you get like R+L=D as a subversion of R+L=J, even though R+L=J already is a twist.I think the Dorne master plan is similar - Doran’s big move is to throw in with Aegon, and please don’t think too hard about how this is his big plot after 20 years of planning.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 28, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, Doran's plan is surprisingly weak, especially for someone so risk-averse, and most of all, being backed by freaking Varys and Illyrio. Pretty much the moment Vyseris got killed they should have gathered their assets overseas and -certainly- the moment Daenerys shows up in Quarth with dragons. And they did try by sending the ships, but by insisting on keeping her in the dark they let her buy Jorah's talk of needing to prove herself and embark on her tour of conquesting places that did not matter.

And then...hey, let's send another big piece of our plan, a very recognizable one, across the sea into a land he doesn't have the first clue about and poorly accompanied by other westeros dopes. It's like they went from overcautious to overly reckless in one stroke.

As other mentioned, GRRM always has a curveball to keep the continent's plot from 'resolving' before the big White Walker Menace gets its act together. But they start getting weaker as the books go on until they just get tired.

-Welp, Eddard figured out the incest bastard thing, but he's too honest for his own hood and oops, he got betrayed and killed! Guess things are messed up now!

-Alright, Stannis has a hot evil mage that lets him yoink his brother's army and win the war. Except surprise! An alliance was sealed mostly offscreen and a whole army marched halfway across a continet the size of continental Europe in a couple of weeks because one Tully guy defended his lands too well, the fool. Guess the war continues!

-It's a Starkalypse! Red Wedding happens without a hitch (even though it involves a lot more people knowing about it than other plots that fail. Hell, they told even the family drink and fuckup!) and the Lannisters are now on the verge of having their cake and eating it, too! But, plot twist! Littlefinger decides to be a poo poo and Joffrey croaks in his own wedding, further knocking two more Lannisters off the board. Now it's all even more complicated!

-Cersei did a speedrun of bungling and evil during her regency, with her own Dr. Mengele included, and suddenly the setting's religion is a thing so there are consequences! Time for cooler heads to prevail. Except hey, Varys is here doing crossbow stealth-crits, even gives a motive speech. Chaos continues, and the wights must be arriving aaaanyday now, right? Right?

Due to the need for these Shyamalan twists, what happens is that every plot that we see shape up with a POV character will faill. Always. Eddard's takeover, Stannis' attack, Tyrion' regency, Robb's war, Jon's command in the north, etc etc. I mean, Tyrion manages to fail a brothel visit, something he's an expert at.

Meanwhile, everything that takes place offscreen goes off without a hitch, with no delays, betrayals or screwups: Cersei's counterpunch, Robert's murder, the western alliance of Tyrrel+Lannisters, the red wedding, the purple wedding (which was hilariously overcomplicated to keep Sansa in the story. Why put the poison in a traitor's hair net through a drunken patsy, to be retrieved on-site? Just send it to Olenna in a box of prune juice or something), the sons of the harpy, and so on.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, Doran's plan is surprisingly weak, especially for someone so risk-averse, and most of all, being backed by freaking Varys and Illyrio. Pretty much the moment Vyseris got killed they should have gathered their assets overseas and -certainly- the moment Daenerys shows up in Quarth with dragons. And they did try by sending the ships, but by insisting on keeping her in the dark they let her buy Jorah's talk of needing to prove herself and embark on her tour of conquesting places that did not matter.

And then...hey, let's send another big piece of our plan, a very recognizable one, across the sea into a land he doesn't have the first clue about and poorly accompanied by other westeros dopes. It's like they went from overcautious to overly reckless in one stroke.

Right, so like the options are either Doran is over hyped as a player or he doesn't care about his plans succeeding, both are more likely than he half the minor characters are his secret spies and he has a long plan with 50 conspirators who are all very good at keeping a secret.

But I also think Littlefinger is intending for Sansa to spill the beans on her identity. Since Ned grew up in the Vale/she's the niece of Lysa, both Royces and some other Lords would probably be willing to help Sansa. And if they find out themselves it rather than Littlefinger telling them, they are more likely to not think it's a trick/believe Littlefinger is genuinely trying to protect her. Because well otherwise he is trusting a big part of his plan to a 14 year old girl keeping her mouth shut.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

KellHound posted:

Right, so like the options are either Doran is over hyped as a player or he doesn't care about his plans succeeding, both are more likely than he half the minor characters are his secret spies and he has a long plan with 50 conspirators who are all very good at keeping a secret.

But I also think Littlefinger is intending for Sansa to spill the beans on her identity. Since Ned grew up in the Vale/she's the niece of Lysa, both Royces and some other Lords would probably be willing to help Sansa. And if they find out themselves it rather than Littlefinger telling them, they are more likely to not think it's a trick/believe Littlefinger is genuinely trying to protect her. Because well otherwise he is trusting a big part of his plan to a 14 year old girl keeping her mouth shut.

I thought it was pretty obvious his plan was to reveal her identity once she was married to the Vale kid and he murders Robyn, as some kind of plot to bring the north in to press a claim to the throne, then probably murder the vale boy and marry her to be king.

Also I don't think Martin has like any experience with children, all his characters ages are just years younger than they should be, in order, I think, to just garner sympathy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Also I don't think Martin has like any experience with children, all his characters ages are just years younger than they should be, in order, I think, to just garner sympathy.
That and it was a hook for "rEaLiSm"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Meanwhile, everything that takes place offscreen goes off without a hitch, with no delays, betrayals or screwups: Cersei's counterpunch, Robert's murder, the western alliance of Tyrrel+Lannisters, the red wedding, the purple wedding (which was hilariously overcomplicated to keep Sansa in the story. Why put the poison in a traitor's hair net through a drunken patsy, to be retrieved on-site? Just send it to Olenna in a box of prune juice or something), the sons of the harpy, and so on.
lmao GRRM is a slut for the observer effect. That... makes a lot of sense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Martin probably wrote Dany as young as she is because he’s just a creep.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Martin probably wrote Dany as young as she is because he’s just a creep.

It's authentic because nobles would marry young in medieval times

GRRM said

While writing lots of rape

And pooping

And then more rape and pooping

And incest

So much incest

God that's a lot of incest

And rape

And lemon cakes

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious his plan was to reveal her identity once she was married to the Vale kid and he murders Robyn, as some kind of plot to bring the north in to press a claim to the throne, then probably murder the vale boy and marry her to be king.

I mean he can still do that and get points with any Vale lords that like Ned and "discover" Sansa's true identity before hand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I would simply sell the real deal Sansa Stark to Ramsay Bolton. I am very intelligent.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

It's authentic because nobles would marry young in medieval times

GRRM said

While writing lots of rape

And pooping

And then more rape and pooping

And incest

So much incest

God that's a lot of incest

And rape

And lemon cakes

Lemonny lemon cakes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"I can't write if you're watching!"

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Jets and Giants win. Going to be some chapters written this week.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

bold assumption that a chapter has even been written this year

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

Why would he go to work when he’s happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

OperaMouse posted:

notablog doesn't count.