Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looked up daemonculuba

Wish I had not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

Reading this, nerd-tears in my loving eyes as I think to myself "it won't be available in paperback for loving two years".

This is ok with me since I still haven't gotten around to reading Sons of Selenar, Fury of Magnus, Saturnine or Mortis. So by the time I do the paperback will be in bookstores.

euphronius posted:

Looked up daemonculuba

Wish I had not

That's not something I would have expected to find out was a scheme of the Iron Warriors.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

That's not something I would have expected to find out was a scheme of the Iron Warriors.

"Misunderstanding the post-heresy IW" is kind of a Black Library pastime at this point. Probably the most consistently mangled depictions out of any of the traitor legions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, there's no new Angels of Death until November?

That seems... ridiculous on GW's part.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

"Misunderstanding the post-heresy IW" is kind of a Black Library pastime at this point. Probably the most consistently mangled depictions out of any of the traitor legions.

I mean they gently caress with poo poo like the Obliterator Virus. That daemonculuba thing though? I guess I just see it as something that Bile, the Emperors Children and their respective offshoot warbands would mess with since that's usually their wheelhouse.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Wow, there's no new Angels of Death until November?

That seems... ridiculous on GW's part.

Man, don't even get me started.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Turns out that having a lot of projects in the pipeline doesn't amount to much when you blow your content load in the first month.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They really needed a bigger backlog before they launched this.

Should have held back till January.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I was thinking we'd have two or three episodes dropping for a handful of shows every week but this current drip feed is pathetic

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

At least they've emailed out the voucher, so it's basically paid for the first two months. That lessened the agony of no Angels of Death for an entire month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Turns out that having a lot of projects in the pipeline doesn't amount to much when you blow your content load in the first month.

It's less like that and more like saying you're about to blow your load but then a few drops come out

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

All true, but at $5/month I still feel like I am getting my money's worth with Angels of Death and Hammer and Bolter. Plus I am willing to support it just to increase the chances the Eisenhorn show happens.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kurzon posted:

My argument is that it is only superficially influenced by Dune. Some guys think it's the core influence.

40k's core is an amalgamation of so many different sources that I think this is the wrong way to look at it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

euphronius posted:

Looked up daemonculuba

Wish I had not

Yeah I also regret reading Graham Mcneil

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Looked up daemonculuba

Wish I had not

Just read about it or have you seen the famous artwork of it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Just read about it or have you seen the famous artwork of it?

I did both yes .

It’s unfortunate

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
So I somehow missed that apparently Mortis is part of the main Seige of Terra books?

I always avoid the filler "novellas" and other cash grabs and stick with the main narrative, but I've never been interested in the titan warfare side of things, and the reviews seem to think it's the weakest book in the series and a bit of a slog. Am I missing anything lore/character wise if I skip it? I can slog through a bad book (or even one trying to do something different) as long as it progresses the story or gives me more scenes with the characters I actually care about - ie. Primarchs

I'm not bothering with all the small side books like Sons of Selenar and Fury of Magnus, but I want to keep to the core stories. I got bitten by this with the HH before as there was so much deviation and silly side quests that I just gave up around Angel Exterminatus (the final nail in the coffin being the sudden oversize format). I did get Master of Mankind on my Kindle though as it actually progressed the story and gave some more insight.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

So I somehow missed that apparently Mortis is part of the main Seige of Terra books?

I always avoid the filler "novellas" and other cash grabs and stick with the main narrative, but I've never been interested in the titan warfare side of things, and the reviews seem to think it's the weakest book in the series and a bit of a slog. Am I missing anything lore/character wise if I skip it? I can slog through a bad book (or even one trying to do something different) as long as it progresses the story or gives me more scenes with the characters I actually care about - ie. Primarchs

I'm not bothering with all the small side books like Sons of Selenar and Fury of Magnus, but I want to keep to the core stories. I got bitten by this with the HH before as there was so much deviation and silly side quests that I just gave up around Angel Exterminatus (the final nail in the coffin being the sudden oversize format). I did get Master of Mankind on my Kindle though as it actually progressed the story and gave some more insight.

Mortis is good, not the best but better than First Wall in my opinion. There are some big plot revelations/events and plenty of primarchs. I wouldn't skip it. It is possible to read it and just skip every Titan section, that's what I did on my 2nd read through. Although the Ordo Sinister psi-titans stuff is cool but only a tiny bit of the book at the end.

I also wouldn't skip Fury of Magnus. It's good and finishes the HH Magnus/Thousand Sons plot. Sons of the Selenar is entirely skippable though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Mortis is dreadfully boring. If you do get it, I highly recommend skimming every scene with titans in it, which as you may imagine is a fatal flaw in a book otherwise all about Titans.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Enjoying Warhawk except that I’m halfway through and already very sick of the cute little matching shot thing where every chapter ends with one character dwelling on some specific Theme and then an unrelated character also thinking about Theme as the first sentence of the next chapter.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitch.tv/videos/1165327215?t=920s

99% sure he is talking about the final SoT novel. Which means there are 3 more novels not 2!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, sorry. Forgot that was on this weekend. Should have told goons.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I think john French just does not give two shits about Titans.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm really disappointed that the Ordo Sinister was not used and focused on much more. I've always been intensely curious about them and they only had a few paragraphs of lore previously. Mortis hinted at some extremely interesting stuff with how they operated and their lines of fealty then they just kind of walked into oblivion and Warhawk didn't even mention them. Like I realize the traitor Titan force needed to win because they had to get to the wall for the next book, but the psi-Titans should have wiped the floor with everything and been much more of a thing.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Does GW care at all about the issue with their authors not understanding scale and numbers? Warhawk spoilers: I read a whole drat chapter about the tumultuous orbital entry of this big plate station then later I’m supposed to believe things are compressed in the air under it in a space of 4.5 -thousand- vertical kilometers?? Literally like ten times the altitude the ISS orbits at? Just fly the vengeful spirit right under that poo poo that’s plenty of room.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

0konner posted:

Does GW care at all about the issue with their authors not understanding scale and numbers? Warhawk spoilers: I read a whole drat chapter about the tumultuous orbital entry of this big plate station then later I’m supposed to believe things are compressed in the air under it in a space of 4.5 -thousand- vertical kilometers?? Literally like ten times the altitude the ISS orbits at? Just fly the vengeful spirit right under that poo poo that’s plenty of room.

Where did it say 4.5 thousand vertical? That plate was never in orbit in the book. It started out hanging over part of the palace and was under the aegis, which is why it still existed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

0konner posted:

I think that fundamentally WH40k narratives struggle to support the scale because it would just overwhelm the storytelling. Think of how much has been written about World War 2 and then imagine if that was only one battle amongst hundreds occuring annually over a period of thousands of years. Warhammer confronts that problem in like five different dimensions in every book.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think there's literally two sorts of scales going on. One is the overall numbers and logistics of intergalactic war - it's weird reading about 250,000 trips being deployed to defend a shrine world when that's basically a single front in WW2. There's also dealing with the physical scale of low or in atmosphere crap or titans where writers seem to use numbers inconsistently or just describe stuff that sounds impressive but in practical terms doesn't make sense.

That said I'm not sure if they did describe the plate operating quite so high? I got the impression it was like 1km up above things. Talks a lot about it pushing through atmosphere, etc. So it obviously wasn't meant to be near orbit at any point.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
No the distance I cited is written precisely

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It definitely seems like the author wrote that but was actually imagining 4.5 kilometers of contested airspace a la "Independence Day". But even then, there's a scale issue. Some authors describe orbital plates as being several kilometers in diameter, while others describe them as being thousands of kilometers in diameter. If the plate is the size of Africa and collides with Terra, that doesn't create a "three-kilometer crater on impact" - that is a planet-cracking apocalypse.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

It definitely seems like the author wrote that but was actually imagining 4.5 kilometers of contested airspace a la "Independence Day". But even then, there's a scale issue. Some authors describe orbital plates as being several kilometers in diameter, while others describe them as being thousands of kilometers in diameter. If the plate is the size of Africa and collides with Terra, that doesn't create a "three-kilometer crater on impact" - that is a planet-cracking apocalypse.

It's an 11km diameter plate 300m thick after Rogal Dorn was done nibbling at it for spare parts for the palace.

It sounds like 4.5kkm is probably a typo and 4.5km is what was intended. Someone with Twitter could ask him?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, definitely a mistake. It starts out under the aegis which is how it hasn't been blasted to scrap. It also mentions it's a much smaller plate than the true orbital plates that are actually in orbit at the start of the siege and were destroyed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Mentally adding an extra couple zeroes to the end of numbers in 40k usually helps scale problems

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think in this case the problem is you need to subtract a few.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I did like how Erda described chaos and have me an idea for an analogy that would also justify the White scars/space wolves use of psychic powers.
Taking the Plato cave allegory, the warp is basically the fire behind the prisoners and the shadows on the wall are the effects of people on the warp. So the chaos gods are really big shadows cast by humanity. What Erebus and Lorgar are going is basically confusing those shadows for something in and of themselves and turning humanity towards basically doing everything they can to make those shadows bigger and more powerful. In this case that's basically driving all of humanity into the fire behind them because the closer they get, the bigger those shadows become (arguably everyone is also getting warmer and feeling better about life in this cave, shortly before they get pushed into a massive fire and burned to death).

I think that way of thinking about it makes more sense as to why chaos gets called the primordial annihilator as well. It's the effect of species getting obsessed with their own effects on the warp and seeking to grow that to greater and greater heights. If we assume the warp works that way it also makes sense you can use other things to channel it, effectively using some object between yourself and the fire to cast that shadow.

It also kind of explains why she is so dismissive of Erebus' talk of the gods. He's literally dedicated his life to psychic after effects and misunderstood what the warp is and how it works.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Erebus has always been messing up during his desperate grasping for power and understanding. Now that he thinks he's a shoe-in for godhood, he's got a literal immortal right in front of him and he doesn't even bother to pay attention. Any other sorcerer would cut their hand off for 5 minutes of conversation with her.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Bought the Infinite and the Divine on Audible based on the recommendations in this thread. So cheers for that, mateys.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Erebus has always been messing up during his desperate grasping for power and understanding. Now that he thinks he's a shoe-in for godhood, he's got a literal immortal right in front of him and he doesn't even bother to pay attention. Any other sorcerer would cut their hand off for 5 minutes of conversation with her.

I hope Erda's OK. :ohdear:

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Warden posted:

Bought the Infinite and the Divine on Audible based on the recommendations in this thread. So cheers for that, mateys.

How's the narration of the voices in that so far? I imagine you can add a bit to it with the right reading.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Are there fans of Erebus?? Erebusters? And if so, they must be right wing extremists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Miguel Prado posted:

Are there fans of Erebus?? Erebusters? And if so, they must be right wing extremists?

Nobody likes Erebus because he is SO OBVIOUSLY a chump with power. Even right wingers see the guy and think 'I could do better.'