Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

There aren't an official set of other seasons, I just used the pick a brick and replacement part section to get yellow/brown tree branches in both sizes, some lighter green ones for a "spring flush", and a bunch of red/orange/yellow leaf/flower pieces to break up the color.

Something akin to this for autumn, and winter will have more bare brown branches with some smaller green pieces as leaf buds. Also thinking about using some transparent pieces to simulate rain drops on the leaves, we'll see how that turns out. I'm heavily basing all this on the various japanese maples I grow in my yard.

Nice touch putting some of the leaves in the rocks. Looks really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Nice touch putting some of the leaves in the rocks. Looks really nice.

Hold on folks, this is just an example I found. I don't even have the parts yet!

Sorry for not being clear here!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

As the seasons change
So do these plastic pieces
New colors each phase.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

deoju posted:

As the seasons change
So do these plastic pieces
New colors each phase.

:golfclap:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
smooth my crusty jorts
open up my mountain dew
post about Legos

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And shake hands with beef!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Tumbler is a pretty fun build. Was fun mentally cross checking the official techniques with the ones I came up with myself. A lot of it was different but some were almost identical. The structure of the Lego one is much more complicated obviously.

It's funny how huge it is by comparison. Also much more movie accurate than my own. I'm still kind of attached to my MOC one though. I just like how it's scaled much closer to what a car should be for a minifig. The official set is one of Legos signature giant cars.

Looks much better next to the other official Batmobiles though. They all dwarf my MOC.

Probably still a little on the big side.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah all 3 of those batmobiles are nice. Shame it didn't get a display pedestal like the others.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Aw the MOC looks better and more accurate IMO but it’s been a while since I’ve seen the movie. Didn’t realize the small one ships already. I hope they do a relaunch of the small Burton, I missed that one.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still kind of attached to my MOC one though.
I feel the same way about my builds. I'm attached to them because they are mine, even if they are inferior in some ways.

Scipiotik posted:

Yeah all 3 of those batmobiles are nice. Shame it didn't get a display pedestal like the others.
Agreed, but the bigger shame is the 89 version was limited. I had to bricklink all of the parts for mine. Also I'm hoping that Keaton Batman cowl/cape piece shows up in another set.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 6, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny. I left off the 4 roof spoilers on my moc in favor of using the big spoiler part, for the exact reason I think they look bad on the official set. really my only major complaint with it. It's supposed to look way more compact than that and they just stick up so much it changes the whole shape of the car. i tried the exact parts Lego ended up using, as well as some others before scrapping it and deciding it would be better to just imply that part of the body.

Tbh though it would probably be pretty easy to mod the gold C clamps down one stud and I think it would make the shape of it look better in general. not sure why Lego didn't do that.

Looks way better on the UCS version since there is so much more space to work with. They just sick up so much on the little one it looks sort of silly.

Like, the whole thing is pretty compact on the movie prop.

Zwille posted:

Aw the MOC looks better and more accurate IMO but it’s been a while since I’ve seen the movie. Didn’t realize the small one ships already. I hope they do a relaunch of the small Burton, I missed that one.

Aw thanks :)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 6, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny how huge it is by comparison. Also much more movie accurate than my own. I'm still kind of attached to my MOC one though. I just like how it's scaled much closer to what a car should be for a minifig. The official set is one of Legos signature giant cars.
Yeah this feels like a very fair comparison/analysis. LEGO's is oversized because their cars always are, and it features more detail even though it ventures into caricature because capturing particular aspects or details is more important to them than overall proportionate accuracy. I still think yours is cute as a button, and basing it around that Technic wing is glorious.

Here's a thing I've banged out for my LUG's monthly seed part build challenge. May scrape together the pieces to build it, because I kinda like it I think. The seed parts this month were kind of boring, but we were instructed to use at least:
- 2x of 4592c02: Antenna Small Base with Black Lever, light bluish gray (I used 8 of the bases and 52 of the levers)
- 2x of 30374: Bar 4L (Lightsaber Blade / Wand), black (I used 20)
- 1x of 3001: Brick 2 x 4, blue (I used 2)

Our theme this month is "architecture" so I made a micro scale building with some landscaping. I also, for some reason, felt like avoiding grayscale as much as possible as a personal challenge, so there is no white, light bluish gray, or dark bluish gray used anywhere, and black is used sparingly - mostly just the base and the seed parts.

edit: oh yeah, and I volunteered to supply the seed part for next month. I chose 2991: Technic, Brick 1 x 2 - 1 x 2 Angled with Bumper Holder, in black, and I bought enough so everyone will have at least 6 of them to play with.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 6, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: oh yeah, and I volunteered to supply the seed part for next month. I chose 2991: Technic, Brick 1 x 2 - 1 x 2 Angled with Bumper Holder, in black, and I bought enough so everyone will have at least 6 of them to play with.

With or without rubber bumper??? :ohdear:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

My best friends wife messaged me tonight about some help with a Lego set for her son who will be 9 yr old soon for Christmas. He has autism and is super good with math, like memorizes piece counts of his sets and what not. He told her all he wants for Christmas is the “the biggest Minecraft set”. She’s like it’s over 2k pieces. I look it up and yup it’s LEGO 21137 Minecraft The Mountain Cave. Retired set and sealed it seems like it’s going for between 1-1.5k on brick link and eBay. Poor duder. There is prolly no chance of say finding this in a Barnes and Noble or somewhere that doesn’t rotate stock that much right?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How would he feel about a knock off?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...6e118854&gclid=

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Literally A Ghost posted:

With or without rubber bumper??? :ohdear:
I think I'd honestly be disappointed if they just stick a bumper on it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Carbohydrates posted:

I think I'd honestly be disappointed if they just stick a bumper on it.

God drat it. Now I'm eyeing the lego tubs....

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Duvel posted:

River along the sand/desert. Still working on this
http://imgur.com/gallery/UnWVlOp

Roman aqueduct. I think this looks pretty good to be honest.
http://imgur.com/gallery/ho1oM6J

Nice
this one too

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah this feels like a very fair comparison/analysis. LEGO's is oversized because their cars always are, and it features more detail even though it ventures into caricature because capturing particular aspects or details is more important to them than overall proportionate accuracy. I still think yours is cute as a button, and basing it around that Technic wing is glorious.

Here's a thing I've banged out for my LUG's monthly seed part build challenge. May scrape together the pieces to build it, because I kinda like it I think. The seed parts this month were kind of boring, but we were instructed to use at least:
- 2x of 4592c02: Antenna Small Base with Black Lever, light bluish gray (I used 8 of the bases and 52 of the levers)
- 2x of 30374: Bar 4L (Lightsaber Blade / Wand), black (I used 20)
- 1x of 3001: Brick 2 x 4, blue (I used 2)

Our theme this month is "architecture" so I made a micro scale building with some landscaping. I also, for some reason, felt like avoiding grayscale as much as possible as a personal challenge, so there is no white, light bluish gray, or dark bluish gray used anywhere, and black is used sparingly - mostly just the base and the seed parts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I pulled out the hidden side castle to build. I typically open boxes on the right side of the box. When I opened it, I found that it has an area sectioned off for the manual. Had to open it on the other side to get to it.

This is the only time I've seen this. I have to say, I wish they did it more often. Bent up manuals are annoying.

Has anyone else noticed this with other sets?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2021

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I assume you mean for newer sets, right? Back in the 80s/90s bigger sets often had cardboard trays and dividers in them to separate bags of parts from manuals and things like baseplates or ship hulls. Big sets also usually had flaps on the front and plastic trays to show off parts. They stopped doing that around the year 2000, I guess because it was cheaper.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes. I thought I was clear about that. Yeah, this is from last years Hidden Side Castle set. The one that was only available for a very short time, sold out immediately and was never stocked again.

The box is the same as most other medium sized sets with all the bags scattered around inside. But there is a small cardboard area glued to the inside that perfectly fits the manual so it lays flat.

I'm guessing everyone here has opened a new box and found a bent manual in there. Maybe even bent stickers.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Fair enough. A few years back Lego often packaged manuals in their own plastic bag with a cardboard backing to keep them flat, but that's the closest I've seen. To be fair I don't buy much new Lego.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't really get lego manuals. maximizing the number of illustrated steps makes the builds really easy, but results in massive phonebook manuals. those can't be cheap to print and they can constitute a big percentage of the weight for the kit. I'm surprised they don't do old school instructions with more consolidated steps for the print manuals and put the full detail ones up as pdf. it's 2021, outside of little kids (whose sets don't require huge manuals), computer and internet access is ubiquitous for anyone wealthy enough to be buying legos for entertainment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I would prefer high quality digital instructions because the paper ones are annoying and take up space in the build area

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Part of the reason I enjoy Lego is its a fun hobby that doesn't involve a screen. I'm not sure how much adding a screen would add. if you want to save space and don't care about more staring at screens, you can already get pretty much any manual pdf and just use that.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I personally like having the manuals as PDF on a tablet. No messing around with folded manuals like you see in some of the smaller sets, and you can zoom in for more detail on certain kits with unconventional build techniques, like Speed Champions. One of the sillier instruction sets I recently encountered was for the BrickHeadz set of Scrooge McDuck and Huey, Dewey & Louie. It was two booklets, one for Scrooge and one for the nephews. However, the one for the nephews basically repeated itself three times, first in green, then in red, then in blue. All three nephews have the exact same parts and pose, and I ended up just building all three at the same time off of the first third of the manual. Feels like they could have found a way to cut that instruction set by two thirds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd prefer all of my manuals as .pdfs as well because when I'm working on LEGO it tends to be later on in the day and I have a light above my work area so the glossy surface of the physical manuals can be annoying to look at.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yep, the glossy manuals turned me 100% PDF as well, also due to the light setup I have at my favourite building desk. Also helps when selling used sets with basically brand new instructions (somehow a lot of people here care about that, similar to the boxes).

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The Voice of Labor posted:

I don't really get lego manuals. maximizing the number of illustrated steps makes the builds really easy, but results in massive phonebook manuals. those can't be cheap to print and they can constitute a big percentage of the weight for the kit. I'm surprised they don't do old school instructions with more consolidated steps for the print manuals and put the full detail ones up as pdf. it's 2021, outside of little kids (whose sets don't require huge manuals), computer and internet access is ubiquitous for anyone wealthy enough to be buying legos for entertainment

Old school building instructions, you mean something like this?

But seriously, sometimes I do find it funny where there's an entire step just to put a single friction pin or something like that. I guess the best would be some kind of a middle ground--the old style instructions which could only ever show a single angle of the set and absolutely no more were also not so great. Especially the instructions from 1960s and 1970s are really bad at this and because of some dodgy building techniques used at the time, sometimes you're really left to puzzle out where the hell does a particular piece go!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe lego could afford to do better color matching if they didn't print out so many drat steps in their instructions. :v:

Especially the big adult oriented ones. We can handle putting in more than five pieces per step guys, honest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The old instructions were only ever one angle because they were hand drawn with stencils.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

Especially the big adult oriented ones. We can handle putting in more than five pieces per step guys, honest.

LEGO salesman: "Have you looked at our awesome range of mosaic sets?"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Going to NYC ComicCon this weekend, time to check out ridiculously overpriced sets at the resellers. Sometimes the minifigs are not bad for middle of the road figs, the rest are over the top compared to Bricklink.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Resellers are weird. I have two storefronts nearish to me. One looks at online prices and sets his prices below those. He knows that people can just find stuff online so he needs to compete. The other is a bricks & minifigs store and everything is super expensive. Much more than ebay/BL. Stuff just sits there.

You'd think resellers would understand that they can price below online prices and sell more easily. But nope, gotta try to bleed every penny they can, even if it means sitting on product. Dumb.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Surpriiiiiiise, Titanic's here. TBB has their review up already.

Cojawfee posted:

The old instructions were only ever one angle because they were hand drawn with stencils.
Also largely why they had so few steps. Another reason for "simplifying" the instructions so much is to reduce Customer Service calls about problems or perceived missing pieces (because users were putting the wrong pieces in the wrong steps without realizing). It was a while ago, but New Elementary ran a fascinating article about how the instructions-making process has developed to smooth out the user experience. I find enjoyment in both types - the more complex, attention-requiring instructions of old, and the much more easy-to-follow instructions we have now, but I totally understand the shift toward reducing problems with the process (generally speaking).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hahahha.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Paper instructions ftw. I don’t own a tablet and a laptop takes up even more space in the building area. Of course the absolute worst thing is printing out black and white copies from a pdf online :gonk:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
lol.

You can split the finished model and the interiors are pretty cool at giving you a sense of scale. Man, if it wasn’t so expensive!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zwille posted:

lol.

You can split the finished model and the interiors are pretty cool at giving you a sense of scale. Man, if it wasn’t so expensive!

Yeah. Looks like a fun, one and done, build.

I wonder if I could build it and find someone on CL to buy it. Meh, not worth the gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man, it looks amazing, but that price tag, and that display size...