Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Official translation still uses Zolo so piss on em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

burn it all down, we'll make our own one piece.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think the best experience if you care enough but can't read Japanese is to do what we do: read multiple translations including fan ones and look up and discuss ambiguities. The official translation is dealing with accessibility issues and general audience sensibilities I personally don't care about. It's fine for what it is, and nitpicking it is also fine if you wanna glean just a bit more meaning out of things.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

someone from the current translator group has been posting the differences between their translation and the official after every release and it's not uncommon to see like "we were wrong about this and fixed it" or "the official goes with this which is less clear". v interesting

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Eiba posted:

I think the best experience if you care enough but can't read Japanese is to do what we do: read multiple translations including fan ones and look up and discuss ambiguities. The official translation is dealing with accessibility issues and general audience sensibilities I personally don't care about. It's fine for what it is, and nitpicking it is also fine if you wanna glean just a bit more meaning out of things.

this. if you haven't read every chapter of one piece multiple times in multiple translations, you actually hate one piece.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I also hate One Piece, because it's on break next week.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I also hate One Piece, because it's on break next week.

That doesn't seem like a good reason to hate it this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have no idea who "Green Pheasant" or "Yellow Tiger" or whatever it is is supposed to be are beyond being one of the Admirals. I always read them as Akainu, Kizaru, Aokiji, Fujitora etc so suddenly getting to a point in the translation I was reading where they said,"Okay these are the admiral names now!" without actually providing any kind of context for which name went with who really perplexed me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah those are the literal translations of their names, based on Momotarou. Akainu is Red Dog, Aokiji is Blue Pheasant, Kizaru is Yellow Monkey, Fujitora is Purple/Wisteria Tiger, and Ryukugyo is Green Bull.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've noticed that people tend to just write "Green Bull" for Ryukugyo, probably because it's somewhat more complex to remember than the other admiral codenames.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I suppose once they make another appearance (I assume post-Wano with the fallout from the Warlord system being abolished) and I start seeing faces with names it'll start to stick.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I suppose once they make another appearance (I assume post-Wano with the fallout from the Warlord system being abolished) and I start seeing faces with names it'll start to stick.

Akainu is red like his lava. Aokiji is blue like his ice. Kizaru is yellow like his light. Fujitora is purple like his gravity. And Green bull is green bc he's Zoro's dad. So its easy for me to remember

Kild fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 7, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kild posted:

Akainu is red like his lava. Aokiji is blue like his ice. Kizaru is yellow like his light. Fujitora is purple like his gravity. And Green bull is green bc he's Zoro's dad. So its easy for me to remember

They dress in their colors as well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RatHat posted:

They dress in their colors as well

That's useful because the manga is always in color.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

given the green in his name and him not having eaten anything i think ryokyugyu might have some kind of plant based devil fruit. he survived via photosynthesis. this idea has probably already been posted on reddit 50 times.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
maybe hes a sea slug so he can have an zoan while the other guys have a logia and paramecia

what if he has the moss fruit so sanji can fight a literal marimo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

what if he has the moss fruit so sanji can fight a literal marimo
this is the stupidest idea i can think of so its gonna be this

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The color spread this week is basically Smash bros

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1445958528225583104?s=20

I guess Sanji is Inkling and Robin is Morrigan(even though she’s not in Smash bros). Not sure who Brook and Chopper are supposed to be.

EDIT: Chopper might be Charizard?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

since robin is morrigan brook could be dimitri

or dracula, hes not playable but dracs is in smash

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think Chopper is Villager's rocket thing

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It's not play

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

my parents boyfriend posted:

I think Chopper is Villager's rocket thing

I think he’s :psyduck:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I think it is a mashup of Smash Bros and Dark Stalkers cause of Robin's and Brooke's outfits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I tend to just call the Admirals by their real names nowadays.

Sakazuki, Kuzan, Borsalino, Issho, and I don't think we know the last one's real name.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Where can i sub to e-girl nami

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone's favorite new vtuber, God Usopp.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

mabels big day posted:

Where can i sub to e-girl nami

Isn't that how Oda found his wife?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Eiba posted:

Yes, very respectful of Japanese terminology. Like Oden's loyal retainers, Dogstorm and Cat Viper. Whose god drat proper noun names got translated.

I know they were introduced before Wano proper, but I really can't get over how bad that decision was. They could have at least made them both one word or two word names for consistency!

lmao i thought i was the only one, this specific incongruence genuinely bothers me a lot

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah agreed, although I don't mind an asterisk with end of chapter notes if there is some specific gag/attack name that really warrants a note for extra coolness in that specific chapter.

Also as a sidenote, I have really been enjoying reading the early fan release plus the official release for this exact reason. I read a lot but One Piece is probably the one bit of non-English writing I've engaged with the most from multiple translation sources and as a result I feel like I have a greater appreciation for a lot of the story. Even the discussion from the last page has been really great in giving new insights about the characters, so keep up the good work all!

One piece is pretty much the only manga im reading anymore so I really enjoy having multiple ways to read it

e:

tbp posted:

lmao i thought i was the only one, this specific incongruence genuinely bothers me a lot

I didnt notice it until you went through the trouble of bolding it, but now that I have noticed it Im extremely bothered.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Eiba posted:

Yes, very respectful of Japanese terminology. Like Oden's loyal retainers, Dogstorm and Cat Viper. Whose god drat proper noun names got translated.

I know they were introduced before Wano proper, but I really can't get over how bad that decision was. They could have at least made them both one word or two word names for consistency!

Yeah those ones are a weird choice, but he usually errs on the side of keeping the literal meaning in the translation rather than making something that sounds good.

Like Inuarashi and Nekomamushi sound good and fine as names for people but they contain meanings that he really wants you to know... for some reason. It's a tough tightrope to walk as a translator between accurately conveying meaning and accurately conveying the feeling of a word.

Like in Chinese there's an idiom "人山人海" which literally translates to "people mountain people sea". I have no doubt that he would translate it as "There's a mountain... or a sea of people here!" instead of "Wow! That's a lot of people!"

One is "correct" and one is "something an actual person might say".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the issue is the translation gets the facts right but ultimately stephen isnt nearly as good at the creative/writing part of the translation. that said, he understands the source material probably about as well if not better than anyone else with that much fluency in both languages so idk. sometimes i think both styles of translations are good.

ive also always wondered, stephen has a habit of translating things in a really passive voice and im wondering if thats actually some relic of the way oda writes or its just the style of the translation of one piece.

when one piece is finished id love to have a new translation that makes pretty clear creative choices based on maximum context,

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

One chapter that stood out to me for fanscan vs official was the one where Kin'emon died(?). I remember the fanscan had Kaido praise Kin for his worthy battle, "you fought well, now it's time to die with honor". The official however read like Kaido was annoyed with Kin's perseverance, "the problem with defeat is noone accepts their death". Fanscans like to paint Kaido as an honorable warrior when he meets a worthy opponent (atleast worthy in spirit), while the official shows him as a jaded warlord who can't believe people still want to stand up against him. It's cool how the two translations have subtlety different Kaidos while the plot is the same.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
where’s the chapter im going to have a hissy fit

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
There's an amateurish translation of the new chapter out. Chapter 1028: https://imgur.com/a/mUb28mP
(Someone posted a real translation two posts down.)

I think the actual translation is fairly solid but it's a little ugly. If you like waiting for higher quality fan-translations you should do that.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 8, 2021

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Rob Lucci out of loving nowhere, cool.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/151/one-piece-chapter-1028

Heres the scans

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Man I thought Zoro having supergenes was bad enough. Is Nami the only normal rear end person on the crew now???

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
lmao Queen

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Ryaomon posted:

Man I thought Zoro having supergenes was bad enough. Is Nami the only normal rear end person on the crew now???

she’s gonna be revealed to be a long lost mermaid princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Bit of body horror in this chapter, between Queen's neck detaching itself from his own body as an attack and Sanji walking around with broken bones

EDIT

skipmyseashells posted:

she’s gonna be revealed to be a long lost mermaid princess

You joke but remember Nami and Nojiko are both orphans of unknown origin that Bellemere rescue. It could very well be, is what I'm saying.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 8, 2021