Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just have an air gun for my compressor. Boom. No more dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Literally A Ghost posted:

I just have an air gun for my compressor. Boom. No more dust.

Except in your lungs and all over your shop.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

GEMorris posted:

Except in your lungs and all over your shop.

I mean, yeah....

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
buy the clamps

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

The problem is its just a function of the how the tool works, even the Kapex's dust collection isn't fantastic.

Fwiw I use a manual langdon falls miter box for small stuff and an mft-like+tracksaw for big stuff / bevels.

drat, old school reppin. How exactly does a tracksaw lessen dust? Tbf, I've never set a miter saw up for dust collection, but I figured the exhaust nub at the end of the housing would be efficient if you replace the bag with an exhaust hose. Guess not, huh.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

canyoneer posted:

buy the clamps

Honestly I really want to but we gotta get our money right first, floor and carpet project just finished and our electrical work is next, neither of which were/are cheap :cry:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm sick of paying $800-1000 a year for plowing when plow dude can really only clear the ~150' straight shot to the road, and I end up spending 20-25 mins out there with a snowblower anyway making it so that we can turn around and do firewood etc.

I am also sick of bullshit snowblowers that can't climb the steep bullshit I need to clear for said firewood!

I am considering spending $2500 on a Cub Cadet 3-stage track driven snowplow, (or $2000 on a 2-stage if I can't source the 3 stage) and if I do, I am also considering at least attempting to say "gently caress plow contracts" this year and just do it myself.

Note that we are remote workers; need to get kiddo to preschool 3 days a week so that's 3 mornings I am definitely on the hook, but half my frustration with paying to be on someone's plow schedule is that we'll get plowed and then get a melt before we even need to go anywhere. On the other hand, if you're not on someone's schedule, good f'ing luck getting plowed in less than 48hrs notice.

Any thoughts? I realize ultimately this is a question of how much work and hassle I want to deal with; also I could buy the fancy rear end snowblower and still get plowed if we really need to. The non-track-driven ones will not climb critical parts of the landscape here and also tend to gently caress with my lower back.

Am I correct in thinking a 3 stage is worth the ~25% tax over the 2 stage if I am really looking at doing this as primary snow removal? Am I completely loving insane to be thinking of clearing a 150' driveway with a walk behind, or am I just Vermont crazy?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I know nothing about plows or snow blowers, but (if you have a truck) why not get a truck mounted plow?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr. Mambold posted:

drat, old school reppin. How exactly does a tracksaw lessen dust? Tbf, I've never set a miter saw up for dust collection, but I figured the exhaust nub at the end of the housing would be efficient if you replace the bag with an exhaust hose. Guess not, huh.

Track saw has a blade that is almost completely shrouded and only projects exactly as far as it needs to, whereas a chop saw has a blade that is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 unshrouded, and the dust port is often much further away from the cut as well.

If you make a track saw trim cut right on the end of a piece where you don't end up with an offcut, you'll still get some errant dust, but if it is a cut in the middle of a piece just a basic shop vac does a remarkably good job with dust capture.

That said setup is not as quick as with a SCMS, i don't think anything will beat that tool for speed.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Vim Fuego posted:

I know nothing about plows or snow blowers, but (if you have a truck) why not get a truck mounted plow?

I don't have a truck and I'm 20k short for truck + plow and 8k short for ATV + plow!

I have it on good authority that putting a plow on a forester is Not A Good Idea, Carl

I have considered getting a not-street-legal $2000 beater truck "runs good, exhaust doesn't exist" as a farm vehicle but I don't know about doing that on this timeframe

additionally, I'd have the same problem Plow Dude has: can do the primary 150' run, but would still need to hit the edges and everything else with some kind of substantial snowblower, or else I can't move firewood in or turn around in the driveway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plow will destroy your truck's transmission, from what I learned last year when I was shopping for snow removal options. I use a snowblower attachment on on my riding mower and it's great. I know several people who use the blade on the atv for snow removal and they all love it

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hello fellow nighmare driveway haver! We are going into winter number eight with a driveway that is a 400' loop (250' street to garage with a bonus 150' of loop) that is a ~40' elevation rise from street level. Also it does an S-curve on the way up! This is in Minnesota.

Overall, you are very much on the correct track, imo.

When we first moved in we bought a $5k beater truck with a plow on it. No garage space, so it sat outside and was a nightmare. When it worked, A+, but having it as a third vehicle that neither of us daily-drove and sat outside, solid F. Do not miss going out to clear the driveway, and having our main means to do so not turn on, or the brake pedal dropping to the floor as a brake line ruptures at a particularly rusty point.

We got the 28", three-stage Cub Cadet (https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-3528SWE-Snow-Thrower/p11995.html), and it has been great. This will be the fifth winter we have it. It is wide enough to clear the driveway in four passes, and can throw the snow far enough that it doesn't pile up and encroach on the driveway even at the end of a snowy winter.

Ours isn't track driven, so I can't weigh in on that. Definitely did consider it, and sometimes still wish I had if we get any ice underneath the snow, but overall I think you would probably be fine with tires on a flat stretch.

e: Also heated hand-warmers are a god-send if you're going to be out there for a while, but at that price point I assume any blower will have that.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We got the 28", three-stage Cub Cadet (https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-3528SWE-Snow-Thrower/p11995.html), and it has been great. This will be the fifth winter we have it. It is wide enough to clear the driveway in four passes, and can throw the snow far enough that it doesn't pile up and encroach on the driveway even at the end of a snowy winter.

Ours isn't track driven, so I can't weigh in on that. Definitely did consider it, and sometimes still wish I had if we get any ice underneath the snow, but overall I think you would probably be fine with tires on a flat stretch.

awesome, thanks. I am calling around to see if I can get a 30" Cub Cadet 3-stage trac locally; if I can't the slightly lower power 26" is available for delivery and I think I'll just do that.

If I can really clear the driveway with it and not deal with Plow Dude, this pays itself off in 2 seasons, ha.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! We have a mix of dirt and gravel and poo poo at the bottom, a 3-stage seems like a big improvement over the (lovely, beat to death) 2-stages I've been using.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

awesome, thanks. I am calling around to see if I can get a 30" Cub Cadet 3-stage trac locally; if I can't the slightly lower power 26" is available for delivery and I think I'll just do that.

If I can really clear the driveway with it and not deal with Plow Dude, this pays itself off in 2 seasons, ha.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! We have a mix of dirt and gravel and poo poo at the bottom, a 3-stage seems like a big improvement over the (lovely, beat to death) 2-stages I've been using.

I'd honestly try to hold out of the 30" if I were you. I have a 28" and I always wish it was a little bigger and you have a lot more snow to move than I do. It might not seem like much but it'll probably end up being another pass or two with the smaller machine.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

wandler20 posted:

I'd honestly try to hold out of the 30" if I were you. I have a 28" and I always wish it was a little bigger and you have a lot more snow to move than I do. It might not seem like much but it'll probably end up being another pass or two with the smaller machine.

Yeah, the clear in four passes part holds true on the straight part of our driveway, but I do wish it was 30" on some portions, so definitely agree on seeking that out if possible.

You will probably laugh out loud on the first snowfall when you watch the three-stage throw a stream like 20 feet. The loop part of ours was a witches-brew of rock and crumbling asphalt that I didn't clear until we got it paved, but it did wash down into the lower section. Definitely buy extra shear pins to have on-hand!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah, the clear in four passes part holds true on the straight part of our driveway, but I do wish it was 30" on some portions, so definitely agree on seeking that out if possible.

:allears: Thanks, this helped confirm a gut suspicion.

I believe I literally managed to get the last 30" Cub Cadet 3-Way Track blower in the state of Veremont, because I had to call the store, they said they only had one and I had to pay for it right then if I wanted it, and the other stores listed are in New Hampshire and poo poo. As soon as I F5'd after signing my soul over for 24 months of 0% financing* on a $2700 machine, the website updated from "low stock" to "no stock", and Cub Cadet's own website basically says "lol, you are hosed" when I look for this model anywhere here.

This is the most I've ever spent on a gasoline powered machine that's not street legal. I will get the cute little plastic bubble for it, and I am gonna take a real shot at just..... not using any plow service this year. $1000 a year, gently caress that noise. If we both worked out of the house it would be different, but as is, it's very often that I see multiple snowfalls projected over a 5 day period, during which I know we're not leaving home at all. I don't mind going out a few times myself to keep a handle on poo poo, I do mind paying for three plow jobs during a period when our car doesn't move. I am not blaming Plow Dude for this, I know their lives are easier and more lucrative when it's just "hey, you're on my rotation", but the finances don't work out too well for people like us who have weird schedules that change week to week known only to ourselves.

Maybe I'll hate myself for this in February, we'll see!

I was going to make a sarcastic comment about "who the gently caress are headlights intended for?" but then I realized our kid has to get up for preschool at 7 these days, and so I may well be out there in 5am darkness once in a while. That's cool, gives me an excuse to smoke pot before breakfast? Medicating my muscle aches, and all.

*fully intend to pay this off in early 2022, but, life has a way of creating complications and we're about to have a bunch of roof work done so I didn't want to pony up the cash today. The American way!! :911:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2021

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
That thing looks awesome, hope it works out for you!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Its really neat they started using tracks instead of tyres for those things.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A tool related thing. Just finished a new handle for this 100+ year old hammer:

This one is made from holly.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat that's fuckin gorgeous!

Also a tool related thing: so a homie of mine saved me a bigass workbench top, basically a butcher block. Anyone have any recommended "build your own workbench" plans, guides, etc?

I could figure it out myself (famous last words?) but any advice/recs/guides would be much appreciated!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Truant posted:

Also a tool related thing: so a homie of mine saved me a bigass workbench top, basically a butcher block. Anyone have any recommended "build your own workbench" plans, guides, etc?

I could figure it out myself (famous last words?) but any advice/recs/guides would be much appreciated!

Someone posted link to some plans for a workbench probably 4 or 5 pages back and it looked awesome. Let me search it out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here it is, might have to scale it for your table top but this looks like a slick af design:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Here it is, might have to scale it for your table top but this looks like a slick af design:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm

Oh fuckin aces, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you :swoon:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Truant posted:

You're welcome!! Honestly when I saw those plans I had to hold myself back from building one immediately. I just can't fit another work surface in my shop. :mad:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think that was me that posted that table, realize I posted the finished product in another thread, but not here.

FISHMANPET posted:

As a reward for that, I finished up this project:

I built the table to hold a tool chest to store my tools, plus storing other tools and battery chargers on it. But there was no power there. And I realized standing there that the primary light in that spot was behind you, so you'd be casting a shadow into the toolbox if you looked for tools. I also found some pegboard organizers that I somehow inherited along the way, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone, install outlets on the wall as well as a switched light fixture. And the table is firmly anchored to the wall so it can't tip over. Went from an open wall with studs 4 foot on center (had to install a new stud in the middle to support the pegboard) to all of this. Only thing left is the light - turns out the lamp base I got is defective and doesn't have a ground terminal, so I need to swap it out. The one just hanging there is installed just to ensure the switch works (it does!), but I need to swap it out with one that has a grounded plug on it. I also picked up a 3000 lumen stoplight that I might put in instead of a bulb (why I need the grounded outlet in the lamp base) but I must say, I'm pretty proud of it all.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting my Harbor Freight tool chest to come in so I can start organizing all my loose small tools. And figuring out what I actually want to put up on the pegboard.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Johnny Truant posted:

You're welcome!! Honestly when I saw those plans I had to hold myself back from building one immediately. I just can't fit another work surface in my shop. :mad:

You two should take a look at this video. The host goes over some of the drawbacks of a bench built without solid joints. It made me consider doing some actual joinery when I build a workbench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CwIX6jE-qA

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's a good video with some good advice, but it's also fairly niche advice. I think an important question to ask yourself is what you want a workbench for. If you're going to be doing a lot of furniture-type wood work, then yeah, that video is great advice. Using a workbench the way woodworkers have used workbenches for hundreds of years is going to put lots of lateral stress on the joints, and yeah, butt joints are not going to last forever. But if you're looking for more of a "table" workbench where you won't be doing all that lateral movement (so, maybe a soldering station, or a place to build wooden ships, or just a surface to store stuff on) then the woodworking bench advice may not apply as much. Although all that being said, the EAA 1000 table doesn't really have butt joints like he warns against in that video. It's actually a lot more like the half-lap joint he shows off as a good example. The main legs of the table are essentially a 4x3 post made by laminating 2 2x4s together, and then there's a gap where your cross beams slide into the post. The screws go in the same direction has his half-lap bolt, so the mechanical fasteners are perpendicular to the lines of force like he's advising, not parallel like in his butt joint.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This is dope and reminds me I still haven't rehandled a rusty axehead I have sitting around. I even have the new handle and everything just need to clean the rust off and spend the hour or two.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is dope and reminds me I still haven't rehandled a rusty axehead I have sitting around. I even have the new handle and everything just need to clean the rust off and spend the hour or two.

I'm also just finishing up on my first knife handle which is fun. I'll post some pics when I finish up the oil and buffing crap. It went from a raw piece of wood to a handle in about 3 man hours. I am pumped to show it off a little.

Apply handle, then post the axe. It's a tool thread for the love of God.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I know this isn't the woodworking thread but just in case anyone didn't know, but was interested, Christopher Schwarz made The Anarchist's Workbench free to download

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm also just finishing up on my first knife handle which is fun. I'll post some pics when I finish up the oil and buffing crap. It went from a raw piece of wood to a handle in about 3 man hours. I am pumped to show it off a little.

Apply handle, then post the axe. It's a tool thread for the love of God.

My next two weeks are looking pretty busy but soonTM

Any suggestions on what I should oil the axe handle with? Currently it's raw.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm looking for a rec for a wet/dry vac on the smaller side.

I have a 110V Dewalt shop vac and it's great, but it mostly lives in the wood shop and is the largest size they make, so it's very cumbersome to move up and down the stairs / use in other parts of the house.

I would like to find a much smaller one (5g or less). This would be for spot cleaning around the house on occasion, cleaning the cars out, and one definite need is to use it to initiate a siphon flow of water out of the hot tub when we have to periodically drain it. So, it would need to have long hoses, or have a long hose that I could fit to it .

I have DeWalt 20V batteries, and I have a Ryobi 40v lawnmower with the big battery there, so a battery option works, but is not mandatory.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have the 12 gallon 5 HP Ridgid vac and I love it but also found it too big to lug around the house. So I relegated it to the Garage and got the 4 gallon 5 HP vacuum for inside the house, and it's the perfect size and weight to actually move around the house.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/4-gallon-portable-wet-dry-vac

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

That Works posted:

I have a 110V Dewalt shop vac and it's great, but it mostly lives in the wood shop and is the largest size they make, so it's very cumbersome to move up and down the stairs / use in other parts of the house.

I would like to find a much smaller one (5g or less). This would be for spot cleaning around the house on occasion, cleaning the cars out, and one definite need is to use it to initiate a siphon flow of water out of the hot tub when we have to periodically drain it. So, it would need to have long hoses, or have a long hose that I could fit to it .

I have DeWalt 20V batteries, and I have a Ryobi 40v lawnmower with the big battery there, so a battery option works, but is not mandatory.

I had the same issue as you and bought the 5g Dewalt. It's great and easy to move around. If you want cordless I'm not sure if they make over a 2g.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

I had the same issue as you and bought the 5g Dewalt.

First they put it in our vaccines, and now in our shop-vacs?! WHEN WILL IT END

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

i HAVE A CUTE LITTLE BATTERY POWERED DEWALT BUT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOUR USES. iT'S SMALL, MORE LIKE A GROWN UP DUSTBUSTER THAN A SHOP VAC. i HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH RIDGID SHOP VACS AND THEIR SMALLER ONE IS GREAT, BUT NOT CORDLESS. i WOULD THINK SHOP VACS SUCK TOO MUCH JUICE TO MAKE GOOD CORDLESS VERSIONS?

E: whoops capslock!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 7, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They have their purpose. I have the cordless Mikwaukee M12 vac and it’s perfect for smaller, specific use cases. I used it the other weekend to clean up drywall dust from some outlet swaps, suck out a clog from an AC condensate line in the attic and quickly clean up some spilled fish crackers in the wife’s car. It only has a run time of 5-15 minutes depending on the speed so it’s best for quick jobs where it would take longer to drag the bigger vac up the stairs than to clean up the mess.

DeWalt makes a cordless version but I’ve heard from multiple places it’s not very good. I would get a small corded Rigid in your case.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FCKGW posted:

They have their purpose. I have the cordless Mikwaukee M12 vac and it’s perfect for smaller, specific use cases. I used it the other weekend to clean up drywall dust from some outlet swaps, suck out a clog from an AC condensate line in the attic and quickly clean up some spilled fish crackers in the wife’s car. It only has a run time of 5-15 minutes depending on the speed so it’s best for quick jobs where it would take longer to drag the bigger vac up the stairs than to clean up the mess.

DeWalt makes a cordless version but I’ve heard from multiple places it’s not very good. I would get a small corded Rigid in your case.

I've got the 20v 1g Dewalt and can confirm it's somewhat underwhelming.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tangy yet delightful posted:

My next two weeks are looking pretty busy but soonTM

Any suggestions on what I should oil the axe handle with? Currently it's raw.

I usually default to tung oil for stuff that won't directly contact food and mineral oil for anything that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

I know this isn't the woodworking thread but just in case anyone didn't know, but was interested, Christopher Schwarz made The Anarchist's Workbench free to download

And to add to this, I'm doing a build of it right now and posting updates (without pictures so far because pictures are :effort: and I'm embarrassed of my messy shop) every so often in the WW thread. I'm starting to get close to the first appearance of glue on the scene.

It's worth reading the chapters in Schwarz'z book which survey bench types and bench features just to get an idea of all of the variables. And to add to that Rex has two other relevant videos: the English joiner's (aka knockdown Nicholson) bench build from a few years ago, and he has his own very recent (in his last few posts) survey of 5 different categories of benches.

If I were building a work bench out of an existing butcher block top, I'd take a look at the Nicholson patterns, whether I was using it for joinery or for general purpose stuff. They're only about 6-8 hours of work, affordable, and really flexible in design.