Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This might be a hot take, but I don't think the Tuckers need more than one episode to tell that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I will always appreciate that FMA never tries to excuse the trope of the dad leaving his family. Sure, Hohenheim had a good reason for doing so, but he still abandoned his family without ever checking back on them. And neither Ed or Al really forgave him, even when Al was fine spending time with Hohenheim.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alacron posted:

This might be a hot take, but I don't think the Tuckers need more than one episode to tell that story.

True, but they cut out a lot of stuff from the first major arc with the priest as well. Though then again, the original anime dropped several major characters from the story entirely and by the end were running on a completely different story than the manga (though I believe I heard somewhere that the author specifically requested they just do their own thing).

Speaking of, I heard a while back that the creator of FMA had another manga in the works. Do we know anything about it yet?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Larryb posted:

True, but they cut out a lot of stuff from the first major arc with the priest as well. Though then again, the original anime dropped several major characters from the story entirely and by the end were running on a completely different story than the manga (though I believe I heard somewhere that the author specifically requested they just do their own thing).

Speaking of, I heard a while back that the creator of FMA had another manga in the works. Do we know anything about it yet?

Depending on when you heard, that one may have already ended. Silver Spoon ran 2011-2019.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Depending on when you heard, that one may have already ended. Silver Spoon ran 2011-2019.

Nope, apparently she’s got a brand new series in the works though I believe all we have so far is a single image:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021/07/12/fullmetal-alchemists-hiromu-arakawa-to-launch-new-manga-series/

Incidentally, is Silver Spoon any good?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yeah, it's basically "high school kids try to find their way in life and figure out what they wanna do when they leave school while being spurred on by actually supportive and competent adults." It's really good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was looking forward to Brotherhood, but as well as it rushing through the opening chapters much too fast, the way it took every instance of a chibi character and vomited it over the screen in the loudest, most obnoxious way possible just made it completely unwatchable to me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
After finishing Yuusha ga Shinda I decided to finally catch up on Dandadan.

Yuusha was fun by the way and surprisingly well written. A lot of foreshadowing and callbacks. And I can't believe a series about thighs has actual character development for a whole host of characters. If only it didn't quite go so hard on the fetishes.
The final battles cracked me up, especially Kyle.

Dandadan so far is very entertaining. I'm only on chapter 10, but I'm loving the 2 leads. They're adorable together in this mess of a world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
03 and Brotherhood are funny enough both reasons why I shy away from anime adaptations for different reasons. The former goes off the rails because at the time it surpassed the manga's content and the latter because they wind up making little changes that I don't agree with like the climax of Bradley vs Scar or all the pacing issues.

Larryb posted:

Nope, apparently she’s got a brand new series in the works though I believe all we have so far is a single image:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021/07/12/fullmetal-alchemists-hiromu-arakawa-to-launch-new-manga-series/

Incidentally, is Silver Spoon any good?

Well this is a surprise. Last I'd read she was cutting back on new projects once Silver Spoon ended to take care of her family and the only thing left was that Arslan manga she'd already been working on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikl posted:

Yeah, it's basically "high school kids try to find their way in life and figure out what they wanna do when they leave school while being spurred on by actually supportive and competent adults." It's really good.

Out of curiosity, did Silver Spoon ever get an anime adaption? If so, is it worth watching or should I just stick to the manga?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, did Silver Spoon ever get an anime adaption? If so, is it worth watching or should I just stick to the manga?

Yes, and yes it's worth watching. Two seasons, actually, eleven episodes each.

Going from memory (I watched them as they were airing), both seasons stick very close to the manga in terms of plot; but I remember feeling the second season had some weird pacing issues, like putting too much emphasis on some stuff while cutting other stuff short, ending episodes at weird points in the plot, etc.

The two seasons, together, cover like half of the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikl posted:

Yes, and yes it's worth watching. Two seasons, actually, eleven episodes each.

Going from memory (I watched them as they were airing), both seasons stick very close to the manga in terms of plot; but I remember feeling the second season had some weird pacing issues, like putting too much emphasis on some stuff while cutting other stuff short, ending episodes at weird points in the plot, etc.

The two seasons, together, cover like half of the manga.

Ah, so assuming I watch the anime first what chapter should I pick up the manga from then?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Uh, by a quick check, about chapter 76 or 77. Middle of volume 9 (of 15) of the manga.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikl posted:

Uh, by a quick check, about chapter 76 or 77. Middle of volume 9 (of 15) of the manga.

Thanks, so I assume it’s mostly more of a slice of life style story?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Kinda. It follows Hachiken, the main character, as he grows up along with his classmates, and deals with various life stuff.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The comedy is shounen-y slice of life and hijinks (but not grossly horny) and the plotting is a kind of bildungsroman for Hachiken. It's very well done and really consistent - if you find yourself liking it at all, I'd say it's worth finishing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Jump Week
Witch Watch: Called it wrt Miyao and Keigo
Mashle: More interstitial chpater but its really funny this week. Go to hell. Though Maybe its closing on the final arc?
Undead Unluck: ...okay.
Magu: Good chap. Good Shenanigans.
Neru: Chapter just flew by. felt like 6 pages. didnt really establish anything we didnt already know or get told though.

Black Clover: God why do i even waste my time with this. This arc has been going for 2 loving years and has managed to do very little with it.
Cancel this Bleach 2 piece of poo poo series.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 10, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sakamoto Days: Osaragi teaches us the proper method of praying in Japan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Elusive Samurai. The governor with the great Eyesight has a taste henchman now. All he needs is a touch and smell henchman and he will have all five senses covered.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the visualization of the verbal battle in Elusive Samurai was fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Black Clover: God why do i even waste my time with this. This arc has been going for 2 loving years and has managed to do very little with it.
Cancel this Bleach 2 piece of poo poo series.

black clover found the sweet spot fairy tail did where it's just charming enough that people read week to week even tho the writing's always been pretty bad and nothing really happens. plus the plot beats being so forgettable might actually work in their favor since you don't quite remember them being disappointing from week to week. you just remember liking some of the characters or the art

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

black clover found the sweet spot fairy tail did where it's just charming enough that people read week to week even tho the writing's always been pretty bad and nothing really happens. plus the plot beats being so forgettable might actually work in their favor since you don't quite remember them being disappointing from week to week. you just remember liking some of the characters or the art
black clover is hearing how horrible the VA is and then moving on with your life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Black Clover's fine, it's pure Shonen nonsense and it's good at that without bringing anything new to the table. Probably better on a binge than weekly because of it's (mostly) fast pace. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Bleach, poo poo actually happens in BC.

Also "Soul Chain Deathmatch" was hype as gently caress.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tabata doesn't quite match up to Kubo's design strengths, but other than that i vastly prefer Black Clover.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

Tabata doesn't quite match up to Kubo's design strengths, but other than that i vastly prefer Black Clover.

His Devils are great.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: Super good chapter, love the eye guy, love the way the back-and-forth between Toshiyuki and Sadamune is depicted. The manga does a good job of balancing tense situations with ridiculous ones like the Ear and Eye Guys combining to get up and close to Toshiyuki and just throwing out all that talk about etiquette and whatnot.

Mashle: Lemon is good but the masses of civilians are boring. Congrats to Lemon and Mash on their marriage!

Robocco: I haven't read it yet.

Sakamoto: Holy poo poo this is good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto has had a real good string of chapters.

This sleepy god in Magu-Chan is slowly becoming my favorite character in the manga just spending the whole time drinking canned coffee, a relatable god.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sakamoto: Holy poo poo this is good.

Really love how in most other action manga, a character with a design like Osaragi would be defined by having some sort of elegant and refined fighting style or straight up use ESP or magic, but here she's just beating the poo poo out of a dude with her bare hands.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Elusive Samurai: This mangaka is really good at the surrealistic approach. The way it was written en drawn were such great compliments to eachother really good. It's also good to get some extra information on his attendants. The way he portrays eyeguy as an actual threat despite being such a weird thing is amazing.

Sakamoto: Looks like it's Assassin nr2's turn.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really love how in most other action manga, a character with a design like Osaragi would be defined by having some sort of elegant and refined fighting style or straight up use ESP or magic, but here she's just beating the poo poo out of a dude with her bare hands.

Sakamoto has been pretty grounded in a way. So far the only overtly superhuman characters were the scary unkilleable guy who was operated on and Shin who was experimented on. Everyone else is extremely human as far as the setting is concerned. I don't expect a lot of special powers coming into play.

Mashle: Seems to be finding it's footing again. Very happy with that. I really enjoyed the return of Mash clowning on haters again. His friends are sweet as well.
And I think I just have a soft spot for how the mangaka uses MAsh's background. He's technically had a lovely life. Hated, actually condemned for death. Had no friends until he infiltrated enemy camp. I like how it occasionally services, but the manga doesn't dwell on it. Mash doesn't get angsty, at worst he has a short moment of gratitude for the situation he finds himself in now. It's sweet.

Magu: Funny chapter. I love Izuna.

Neru: That was short.

Roboco: Gorilla is always good, so Gorrila chapters are also automatically good.

Witch Watch: This is basically a setup chapter for more sheninigans down the road and I'm down for that.

Undead Unluck: Okay, yeah. That's cool. It makes no sense, but it's cool so I'll allow it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Undead Unluck: Okay, yeah. That's cool. It makes no sense, but it's cool so I'll allow it.

I mean, that same basic trick was the foundation for the ending to Chainsaw Man, so I'm kind of oblidged to accept it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ayakashi Triangle is getting tiresome. For the past ten or so chapters, it's been one "Oh no! How will our heroes get out of this bind? Find out next week! <next week> It's actually fine. But oh no! How will..." chapter after the other. It feels much like the plodding stuff that were the later Inuyasha arcs, with Naraku threatening the heroes, the heroes fighting him off, and Naraku jetting away while grumbling "next time :argh:"

And it's not doing anything really creative, either, the author introduced what is probably the main villain and now they're speedrunning through interactions.

I liked this much better when it was a school life manga with supernatural stuff in the background which occasionally came to the stage.

e. Actually, serious question: am I the only one itt who is reading Ayakashi Triangle? Because I never see it discussed, and I myself skip several Jump manga because they don't interest me.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 11, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I read Ayakashi Triangle, but it’s easy to forget sometimes because I can’t read it in the app and have to go online. The series is definitely better when it’s just them screwing around and hijinks are happening, but the story hasn’t been actively bad for a fan service action manga.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I read Ayakashi Triangle as well, but there's not really much to discuss. The art's nice to look at, but otherwise it's pretty basic and I forget most of it by the time I'm done reading the rest of the series I follow.

It's a shame, I really like the premise, but instead of doing anything interesting with it, it's just an excuse for more fan service

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I only drop into Ayakashi occasionally and then just skim chapters. They tend to remind me why I don't like the manga. I love the clean and sharp lines of the art. The idea seems cool, but as we've covered before in the thread the manga is intent on doing nothing with it other than as a device for shallow fanservice.
And this is coming from a guy who read and enjoyed Yuusha ga Shinda.

I guess mouth guy is back now?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I refuse to read Akayashi Triangle, but it's neat that it accidentally landed on the main character being pretty blasè on gender, if only because the author was horny and wanted fanservice.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
No one else chuckling at how Red Hood devoted two panels to thicc muscle lady suplexing the other guy even though the fight was already narratively won?

Also I don't read Ayakashi Triangle. You can see fanservice anywhere (see comment above) so there's got to be something else I care about and I haven't found it in there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o right red hood, I forgot to check that again

maybe it's time to drop it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it the entire exam arc done or just the first part and there's gonna be more when the ship lands? Because as Chuunin Exams go I lost interest a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pierson posted:

Is it the entire exam arc done or just the first part and there's gonna be more when the ship lands? Because as Chuunin Exams go I lost interest a while back.

It just ended.