Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

F4rt5 posted:

Not over here they don't. They just have to forward the complaint. The companies will have to sue me personally or get the police involved.

Ah, gotcha, you lucky duck. Thankfully since I started bouncing through a couple VPNs I haven't had an issue again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

F4rt5 posted:

I don't even use VPN for torrents, but qBittorrent is set up to accept encrypted only... And over here if MPAA snoops you just get a letter from your ISP that you ignore anyway (it's been years since the last one though)

I also don't use a VPN and haven't had a letter since 2008. I don't know why I get away with it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I also don't use a VPN and haven't had a letter since 2008. I don't know why I get away with it.
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons for me is using private trackers in all but the most extreme cases.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
right, the main way you're going to get popped for torrenting is if you're on a public tracker for some hot property like a recently released movie. an agent of the copyright holder will get a list of all IPs on the torrent then start matching them to locations, and if one shows up in a known jurisdiction with a known ISP they'll request the ISP find the assigned IP and send you a nastygram about it

use a private tracker, or only torrent obscure poo poo that people don't care to police, or obscure your IP, and its more trouble than its worth for the ISP to bother you. they know that nearly all of their torrent traffic is illegal but if you give them plausible deniability then they aren't going to care. also some ISPs just dont give a poo poo at all unless you're causing a big headache like being an obvious hub for piracy. the RIAA taught everyone that going after individual pirates is an extreme burden that does nothing to stop piracy, so the focus is more on catching the sources of pirated files rather than the consumers

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 8, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

use a private tracker, or only torrent obscure poo poo that people don't care to police, or obscure your IP, and its more trouble than its worth for the ISP to bother you. they know that nearly all of their torrent traffic is illegal but if you give them plausible deniability then they aren't going to care. also some ISPs just dont give a poo poo at all unless you're causing a big headache like being an obvious hub for piracy. the RIAA taught everyone that going after individual pirates is an extreme burden that does nothing to stop piracy, so the focus is more on catching the sources of pirated files rather than the consumers

That depends, in some legislatures fining pirates is a very profitable business. Key is knowing where you yourself are in the eco-system.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just always use a VPN for torrents, figure that's good enough.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If there have been cases of VPN:s outing pirates (they do out criminals all the loving time, despite what they say) I've never heard of them.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

SimonChris posted:

My favorite is the start-up that does DoS attacks on the IRS.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1445908305675579393

Anyone know where I can rent a guillotine?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

no hay camino posted:

Anyone know where I can rent a guillotine?

Use Thermidr, it's a guillotine-share app that lets you guillotine with whoever's in the area! :thermidor:

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Well, in addition to markets there are really only nine other methods to allocate scarce resources:

1. (Threat of) violence
  2. Tradition
  3. Lottery
  4. Queue
  5. Equal sharing
  6. Taking turns
  7. Discretionary allocation
  8. Voting
  9. Reward

What they've done is to transform the method of allocation of a scarce service from a queue to a market. It's ghoulish, but even if this company disappeared off the face of the earth today, your chances of reaching the IRS would remain slim.

I guess the main problem is that the tax code is like computer code, over time it will get bloated and full of mostly useless features that nevertheless create exciting bugs.

The problem is that this is meant to be a service for people who do not have enough money to pay a tax accountant themselves, or even premium versions of TurboTax that let you talk with people who nominally should know. It's just a way to squeeze another $5 out of someone who has to use a free filing system and cannot otherwise afford the help. The market is already allocated, the intentional utter loving lack of funding is the real problem here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The problem is that this is meant to be a service for people who do not have enough money to pay a tax accountant themselves, or even premium versions of TurboTax that let you talk with people who nominally should know. It's just a way to squeeze another $5 out of someone who has to use a free filing system and cannot otherwise afford the help. The market is already allocated, the intentional utter loving lack of funding is the real problem here.

That's not what the article said. As I recall they were targeting tax professionals that needed to talk to the IRS to resolve issues on behalf of clients.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Motronic posted:

That's not what the article said. As I recall they were targeting tax professionals that needed to talk to the IRS to resolve issues on behalf of clients.

thats their target audience, according to the guaranteed to be 100% truthful and complete article. that does not mean there are no added effects

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MiddleOne posted:

That depends, in some legislatures fining pirates is a very profitable business. Key is knowing where you yourself are in the eco-system.
There is also an extortion business model that largely functions apart from laws, and works anywhere as long as it's theoretically possible to nail the target in court.

They send you a letter telling you you pirated something and demand money - something around $800-1000. This isn't a fine and they hold no legal power over you, it's just someone asking you to voluntarily give them money. It will be dressed in legal language to make it look like it's something more, though. There's no burden of any kind of proof. They tell you they'll sue if you don't pay, and many people will pay because they're scared of court costs.

Here in Finland there are several companies doing this and only one is an actual law firm that might sue people. They do it vanishingly rarely, with the aim to make examples of a few people. The actual fines placed by the court are much smaller than what the extortion letters demand, but if you lose, you might take tens of thousands of euros in court costs. They can take the risk and you probably can't, so you'll pay up.

At least, you might pay up if you don't know how rarely they sue anyone. Many of these companies are one man operations and to my knowledge none but the one actual law firm has ever taken anyone to court. Their entire business is sending these letters and raking in the money from scared people. If you don't pay, they can keep sending increasingly threatening letters for years in to keep up the stress and try to make you crack. If you still don't pay, they eventually go away.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 9, 2021

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

As an expat trying to use streaming services from my home country, I've found VPNs difficult because they're always blocked so you have to cycle through the servers all the time looking for the one they haven't blocked yet. They also block known IPs of cloud providers so I couldn't get it to work rolling our own either.

The best bet is residential IPs. There are apparently legal services that provide this (supposedly for webdev testing purposes I think) but what we eventually did is set up an RPi with PiVPN at a family members place. Been smooth streaming ever since.

We do have to toggle it all the time depending on what we want to watch though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elukka posted:

There is also an extortion business model that largely functions apart from laws, and works anywhere as long as it's theoretically possible to nail the target in court.

They send you a letter telling you you pirated something and demand money - something around $800-1000. This isn't a fine and they hold no legal power over you, it's just someone asking you to voluntarily give them money. It will be dressed in legal language to make it look like it's something more, though. There's no burden of any kind of proof. They tell you they'll sue if you don't pay, and many people will pay because they're scared of court costs.

Here in Finland there are several companies doing this and only one is an actual law firm that might sue people. They do it vanishingly rarely, with the aim to make examples of a few people. The actual fines placed by the court are much smaller than what the extortion letters demand, but if you lose, you might take tens of thousands of euros in court costs. They can take the risk and you probably can't, so you'll pay up.

At least, you might pay up if you don't know how rarely they sue anyone. Many of these companies are one man operations and to my knowledge none but the one actual law firm has ever taken anyone to court. Their entire business is sending these letters and raking in the money from scared people. If you don't pay, they can keep sending increasingly threatening letters for years in to keep up the stress and try to make you crack. If you still don't pay, they eventually go away.

They do it vanishingly rarely because its starting to become difficult to actually prove the case and they had a couple instances where they lost and were forced to pay the defense costs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

As an expat trying to use streaming services from my home country, I've found VPNs difficult because they're always blocked so you have to cycle through the servers all the time looking for the one they haven't blocked yet. They also block known IPs of cloud providers so I couldn't get it to work rolling our own either.

The best bet is residential IPs. There are apparently legal services that provide this (supposedly for webdev testing purposes I think) but what we eventually did is set up an RPi with PiVPN at a family members place. Been smooth streaming ever since.

We do have to toggle it all the time depending on what we want to watch though

theres some Schadenfreude that occasionally happens when they mistakenly block residential IP blocks and suddenly they get a bunch of angry bird posts ., phone calls and emails.

LOLfucking media companies making the same mistake forever. just make it as easy as possible to watch and people will go to you. but whatever got to mixmax blood from a stone for highest quatery profit numbers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

suddenly they get a bunch of angry bird posts .,

Is this adjacent to bird law?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PhazonLink posted:

theres some Schadenfreude that occasionally happens when they mistakenly block residential IP blocks and suddenly they get a bunch of angry bird posts ., phone calls and emails.

LOLfucking media companies making the same mistake forever. just make it as easy as possible to watch and people will go to you. but whatever got to mixmax blood from a stone for highest quatery profit numbers.

I’d argue that access to media is the easiest it has ever been.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

I’d argue that access to media is the easiest it has ever been.

There's a lot of annoying bullshit still. I've been trying to find a few BBC shows and there doesn't seem to be a way to legally watch them in America except for finding a cutting-edge VPN that they haven't blocked yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There's a lot of annoying bullshit still. I've been trying to find a few BBC shows and there doesn't seem to be a way to legally watch them in America except for finding a cutting-edge VPN that they haven't blocked yet.

... Can't you just subscribe to BBC America and get it all at this point?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just checked since I actually forgot to look into that back then, but sadly no, it sucks. It's a limited set of shows for streaming. Specifically I was looking for more seasons of Repair Shop and similar shows to set aside for my parents and all of that is tied up in rights hell apparently.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or be like Australia where the big services don't even operate. We do have Netflix - but it only has about a third of the content as the US one.

For most of the stuff I watch, there is literally no way for me to do it legally. I'd love to give the creators my money, if only they'd let me.

EDIT: Apparently Netflix isn't as bad as it used to be. But getting actual numbers of what's available in its US versus Australian libraries and currently streaming shows is hard to find.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 10, 2021

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or be like Australia where the big services don't even operate. We do have Netflix - but it only has about a third of the content as the US one.

For most of the stuff I watch, there is literally no way for me to do it legally. I'd love to give the creators my money, if only they'd let me.

EDIT: Apparently Netflix isn't as bad as it used to be. But getting actual numbers of what's available in its US versus Australian libraries and currently streaming shows is hard to find.

"Just watch it on HBO Max/Hulu/(streaming service not available in Australia)" is a thing I run into with annoying frequency.

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 10, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But you can already watch Hard Quiz, Get Krack!n, Utopia and more on ABC's iView; what else could you want? And Have You Been Paying Attention? is region locked. You're spoiled, frankly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Bitcoin stuff is cheating, but this is some magical tech bullshittery

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I subscribe to Acorn and to Britbox; check their listings and see if they have the shows you want. Britbox has a panel channel, which doesn't have enough panel shows, but does have some that aren't on YouTube.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/hondanhon/status/1436027395115393024

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There should be a term for the opportunity cost imposed by having to either ignore a constant stream of nonsense from your devices or spend some of your precious finite minutes on this planet getting your fridge to shut the gently caress up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

This is what peak performance looks like

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have to say that opening the fridge every twenty‐two minutes you’re awake for a month straight does seem excessive.

Still, the fridge is still very rude for e‐mailing like that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

another use case for vpn, at least for americans. cryptokids use vpn to access the bigger exchanges. i imagine citizens of other countries similarly skirt their country's bans.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Platystemon posted:

I have to say that opening the fridge every twenty‐two minutes you’re awake for a month straight does seem excessive.

Still, the fridge is still very rude for e‐mailing like that.

Yeah, I got thinking about how many times I open the fridge a day and it's not 44. I guess they might have eight people living in the house or something.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It's kids guys. As soon as kids can forage around I'm the fridge and cupboards for snacks they do. They also like to stand there with the door open staring into the fridge as of it were some empty abyss or eldritch horror, only to close it a minute later having gotten nothing.

At least they can't get to the thermostat yet.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

IN THE YEAR 3000!

We will have to pay 5 bucks every time we wanna open the fridge and just stare as we figure out what to eat for a late night snack. Before closing it and just eating your kid's fruit snacks again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BigRed0427 posted:

IN THE YEAR 3000!

We will have to pay 5 bucks every time we wanna open the fridge and just stare as we figure out what to eat for a late night snack. Before closing it and just eating your kid's fruit snacks again.

The door will be a full size oled that you can turn on to just stare into the refrigerator, with vents that very softly blow cold air at you to make you feel as if the door is already open.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

The door will be a full size oled that you can turn on to just stare into the refrigerator, with vents that very softly blow cold air at you to make you feel as if the door is already open.

But the ice maker still fucks up 3 months after you buy it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Seriously, gently caress Samsung

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

thecluckmeme posted:

Seriously, gently caress Samsung

My 15 year old KitchenAid has the original ice maker still functioning, and I am loathing the day I have to replace it.

My wife wants to get a side by side but I want one of those 4 door multi zone ones.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We had an ice maker 20 years ago. How the gently caress is this one breaking more than that one did? :rant:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My 15 year old KitchenAid has the original ice maker still functioning, and I am loathing the day I have to replace it.

My wife wants to get a side by side but I want one of those 4 door multi zone ones.

I have the four door multi zones, and the top two doors are the fridge, the bottom left is the freezer, and no matter how we've tried to set it the bottom right is a freezer that just doesn't quite stay cold enough to prevent things like frozen pizzas from being able to bend a little bit. The ice maker might give us a few cubes, or it could be bountiful, but no in-between

I even know HOW to fix the ice maker, there's videos online and we would just need to store things in the beer fridge while I defrost the main fridge a few times and then put a strip of sealant down one side. I've been told I'm not allowed to and we can either live with it or call the expensive fridge repair guys :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thecluckmeme posted:

I even know HOW to fix the ice maker, there's videos online and we would just need to store things in the beer fridge while I defrost the main fridge a few times and then put a strip of sealant down one side. I've been told I'm not allowed to and we can either live with it or call the expensive fridge repair guys :mad:

Put on a wig, a polo shirt, and a bad accent, and pretend to be the fancy fridge repair person.