Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I have the 12 gallon 5 HP Ridgid vac and I love it but also found it too big to lug around the house. So I relegated it to the Garage and got the 4 gallon 5 HP vacuum for inside the house, and it's the perfect size and weight to actually move around the house.
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/4-gallon-portable-wet-dry-vac

Seconding this. Had exactly the same issue, got exactly the same 2nd vac as a solution. Super happy with it. That thing has a surprising amount of power, and it's really light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As I like to say, they both really suck :D

The smaller one comes with a 1 7/8" chose whereas the larger one is a 2 1/2 hose, but the port on the smaller one is actually 2 1/2 inches, so you can use the larger hose on the smaller vac if you've got a specialized accessory you don't want to buy twice. Another difference between the two is the filter size - the smaller one actually uses a smaller size than the other vacuums. And it looks like the only filter type readily available in that size (others can be ordered but I don't think they're normally stocked) is the blue fine dust filter. The more basic white filter that comes with the bigger vacuums, the green HEPA filter, or the wet foam filter that are available for the bigger vac aren't easily available for the smaller vacuum.

Ultimately I'm happy with the slightly smaller attachments and the fine dust filter by default - great for cleaning up cat litter in my basement. It does sort of "feel like" the smaller vacuum is less powerful, but that's comparing the larger unit with the more basic white filter, it might be that the thicker filter needs to be cleaned off more easily and reduces suction a little bit. But ultimately it's more than enough for what I need, and easy to move as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks everyone, was also running into the same complaints and bad reviews on the smaller 20V battery DeWalt ones. I'll go with the Rigid unless someone on craigslist throws up something similar before I get to HD next to buy one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i HAVE A CUTE LITTLE BATTERY POWERED DEWALT BUT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOUR USES. iT'S SMALL, MORE LIKE A GROWN UP DUSTBUSTER THAN A SHOP VAC. i HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH RIDGID SHOP VACS AND THEIR SMALLER ONE IS GREAT, BUT NOT CORDLESS. i WOULD THINK SHOP VACS SUCK TOO MUCH JUICE TO MKAE GOOD CORDLESS VERSIONS?

E: whoops capslock!
Hell yeah. I figured as we as a group aged, we'd start posting in all caps eventually. Should have known the outbreak would start in the tools thread.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Slugworth posted:

Hell yeah. I figured as we as a group aged, we'd start posting in all caps eventually. Should have known the outbreak would start in the tools thread.
I typed the whole post without really looking at the screen and then saw I had capslock on and was too lazy to retype it all :eng99:

You can just imagine I'm REALLY passionate about shops vacs if you like

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP THE SWITCH ON MY SHOP VAC

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tangy yet delightful posted:

My next two weeks are looking pretty busy but soonTM

Any suggestions on what I should oil the axe handle with? Currently it's raw.

I used BLO on a hammer handle I made recently and it turned out pretty good.

But if I were doing an axe, I'd probably try a burn + BLO combination, mostly because I really want to try the burning method :supaburn:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trabant posted:

I used BLO on a hammer handle I made recently and it turned out pretty good.

But if I were doing an axe, I'd probably try a burn + BLO combination, mostly because I really want to try the burning method :supaburn:

As much as I truly do love using fire, I don't have any propane burner things nor do I have a good outdoor space to try and use a fire so I'll probably BORINGLY just do BLO or tung oil.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/IllumiCyberwear/status/1446090248233029633

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

holy poo poo

also lol at the thread title

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stl plz

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

you can even make your own version
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4745852

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Okay, one more "use tools to make tools" post. Finished the handle for my hi-carb kitchen knife:

This is that holly again. I am incredibly happy I saved so much of it now that I am seeing what finished products come out looking like.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i HAVE A CUTE LITTLE BATTERY POWERED DEWALT BUT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOUR USES. iT'S SMALL, MORE LIKE A GROWN UP DUSTBUSTER THAN A SHOP VAC. i HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH RIDGID SHOP VACS AND THEIR SMALLER ONE IS GREAT, BUT NOT CORDLESS. i WOULD THINK SHOP VACS SUCK TOO MUCH JUICE TO MAKE GOOD CORDLESS VERSIONS?

E: whoops capslock!

That battery powered DeWalt is, with an aftermarket extension thingy, my go-to for dealing with all the goddamned dog fur exploding off of my husky at all times.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Literally A Ghost posted:

Okay, one more "use tools to make tools" post. Finished the handle for my hi-carb kitchen knife:

This is that holly again. I am incredibly happy I saved so much of it now that I am seeing what finished products come out looking like.

That looks great!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone use or own any Shopfox brand tools? I'm thinking of breaking my cardinal rule and buying something new for myself instead of a junk store relic. I'm looking at one of their bench top drill presses. I'm just kind of curious about general dependability and build quality of this tool line as aside from some old Grizzly grinders I've never really encountered this stuff while working.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Shopfox is usually just Grizzly rebadged and sold in stores instead of direct.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

GEMorris posted:

Shopfox is usually just Grizzly rebadged and sold in stores instead of direct.

Expanding on this, they are usually made in the same factories with different levels of QA. Do your own QA when it arrives and be willing to send it back and try again.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

bobua posted:

Expanding on this, they are usually made in the same factories with different levels of QA. Do your own QA when it arrives and be willing to send it back and try again.

Yeah, *usually* was doing some heavy lifting in my original statement and should have probably been emphasized.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What do you folks know about aftermarket substitute batteries?

example, Dewalt 20V 5ah equivalents like these https://smile.amazon.com/JYJZPB-Rep...093Q4K7PN&psc=1

I am kind of all set on batteries for the moment, but was curious if these were total poo poo, or like 80% as good etc. Thought about grabbing a few extras that were cheaper if they were mostly good but not if they are total poo poo etc.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I own ryobi tools and even I wouldn't trust them.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I bought knockoff m12 batteries in 2019. the product was ok, capacity is probably not what is claimed, or is short in some other way (max discharge current or something).

so 80%. Price is half that of name brand, so i'm definitely still ahead.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'd love to get some knockoff stihl ap300 if they work at all as those are over $100 each

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I bought DeWalt-compatible (NiMH) replacements for a whole lot less than the OEM versions, and they've held up just fine.

The "brand" was Moticett on Amazon, for what that's worth (not much).

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The fake batteries definitely cheap out on the 18650 cells, so they typically won't be quite as good.

The real problem is that you can't tell one fake Chinese brand from the next. Some are probably a good buy $/Wh, and others are probably garbage. Roll of the dice.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Project farm did an 18650 comparison awhile back and while the specific brands aren't relevant to your question, the huge range in performance shows how bad knockoffs can be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZuHMlRw_0

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Chinese knockoffs are always going to be a sketchy toss-up, but still, I feel like I'd be more willing to gamble on some that actually pick a "brand" name and not a random string of characters.

Also run them through Fakespot or ReviewMeta to at least see if the reviews look legit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone use or own any Shopfox brand tools? I'm thinking of breaking my cardinal rule and buying something new for myself instead of a junk store relic. I'm looking at one of their bench top drill presses. I'm just kind of curious about general dependability and build quality of this tool line as aside from some old Grizzly grinders I've never really encountered this stuff while working.

I have a shopfox thickness sander and it’s fine, haven’t had any complaints and it’s one of my favorite pieces of equipment. That’s anecdotal in the extreme.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a Shop Fox floor drill press. It's fine. I have no real basis for comparison with other drill presses, but this one hasn't given me any trouble. I broke the depth stop and had to replace it, but that was my own drat fault. Otherwise, about the worst I can say about it is that it's kind of fiddly to adjust the table height and there's no easy way to center the table under the chuck.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a Shop Fox floor drill press. It's fine. I have no real basis for comparison with other drill presses, but this one hasn't given me any trouble. I broke the depth stop and had to replace it, but that was my own drat fault. Otherwise, about the worst I can say about it is that it's kind of fiddly to adjust the table height and there's no easy way to center the table under the chuck.

Any wobble in the chuck out of curiosity? Can you really REALLY center a hole or just really center a hole?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Maybe you can find pictures of some disassembled packs to decide who has good batteries and hope they didn't change cells in the meantime. I'm sure there is some kind of battery nerd (or tool nerd I suppose) forum where they are already doing this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Any wobble in the chuck out of curiosity? Can you really REALLY center a hole or just really center a hole?

I haven't noticed any wobble, but I am not a high-precision worker, so it's entirely possible that there's some subtle issue that I'm simply not noticing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't noticed any wobble, but I am not a high-precision worker, so it's entirely possible that there's some subtle issue that I'm simply not noticing.

Coolio. Thanks for your thoughts!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Anyone used this Ryobi power washer? I've always been unhappy with the $100 electric washer deelies. I have some VERY nasty grout + a dock that needs cleaning now and then.

For grout I'm thinking of pretreating then using this and coming behind with my shop vac. Anyone had good success with narsty grout? Brush on a drill aint enough and is way too slow for how much tile I have.

Ryobi Corded 1900PSI Pressure Washer
+
12" Cleaning Head

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I paid a guy $150 to pressure wash my entire paver patio.

I will do it again next year.

I consider it an excellent use of money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've had success with a steam cleaner from Amazon to clean grout. Steam goes in, foul smelling sludge comes out!

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Well, I just scored a $50 surplus rotary vane vacuum pump/ low pressure compressor. It's rated for 23 cfm at 15 psi and it'll pump down to 28 inHG.

Edit: its not super quiet, but the noise is much lower pitched and less grating than a piston compressor. Will that be enough to run a small HVLP? Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheapish vacuum chamber?

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 9, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

Anyone used this Ryobi power washer? I've always been unhappy with the $100 electric washer deelies. I have some VERY nasty grout + a dock that needs cleaning now and then.

For grout I'm thinking of pretreating then using this and coming behind with my shop vac. Anyone had good success with narsty grout? Brush on a drill aint enough and is way too slow for how much tile I have.

Ryobi Corded 1900PSI Pressure Washer
+
12" Cleaning Head

Bought this + an adapter for my shop vac (and a wet filter) which I intend to epoxy into the surface cleaner to reduce the amount of grime/water on the floor to mop up later. I'll post if its as awesome as I'm hoping.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 9, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't think gluing the shoovac to the cleaner is going to get you your desired result.
There's a spinny bit with 2 jets on it that use the pressure to spin around. It's going to leak water out of itself at all directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tater_salad posted:

I don't think gluing the shoovac to the cleaner is going to get you your desired result.
There's a spinny bit with 2 jets on it that use the pressure to spin around. It's going to leak water out of itself at all directions.

Don't listen to this guy, he don't know nothing:v:
Do it, post a video with the hilariousresults