Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well this news update is pretty pointless. Copping showed people who to use an app, a few complaints about the evils of vaccination passports compared to stong beautiful restrictions exemptions program, and several rants about equalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arc Hammer posted:

Well this news update is pretty pointless. Copping showed people who to use an app, a few complaints about the evils of vaccination passports compared to stong beautiful restrictions exemptions program, and several rants about equalization.

And Hinshaw’s delightful “yes a teenager died but they were like diseased or something beforehand so, we cool.”

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ontario is pushing back on signing the federal daycare program (of course).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/childcare-ontario-liberals-1.6207667

And however-much they get no doubt the end product will be severely underfunded while the bulk of the money is quietly diverted to "balancing the budget", like that $2.7 bn. in federal COVID funding was.

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
Two covid positives from the same crew at my workplace. Alberta. Wish me luck.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

And Hinshaw’s delightful “yes a teenager died but they were like diseased or something beforehand so, we cool.”
Pretty sure at this point "Albertan" counts as a pre-existing condition.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm taking a flight on Air Canada, anyone know what their rules are for garment bags? I'm looking to take my suit in a garment bag as a carry on, but the website information about that is hopelessly vague.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I'm taking a flight on Air Canada, anyone know what their rules are for garment bags? I'm looking to take my suit in a garment bag as a carry on, but the website information about that is hopelessly vague.

I never had an issue taking it as a carry-on when it's folded over. However, they usually won't hang it up for you if you're travelling economy IME, so I just tuck it into the overhead. I've been lucky a few times though because it was an empty flight or a small plane.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 13, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Small businesses want to prove that they will not be beaten by mega-corporations in the fight to decide who is the biggest piece of garbage out there.

It's just more proof that surely at least 1/4 of small businesses don't deserve to survive. The only way they're making it now is by exploiting their workers and the endless help given to them by the government because we MUST SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I received a survey via text yesterday from Ipsos-Reid. It was all about how much do I trust Elections Canada do accurately provide election results, do I believe the results, do I think democracy is a good idea, and the last question was the best: do I think that "sometimes elections results should be overruled when it is in the best interest of the country"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Golly, I wonder who's paying for that one?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well Elections Canada themselves are running almost exactly the same survey, mine wasn't through Ipsos though...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Truly awful. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be grieving the death of your child and have a government rep responsible for the worst pandemic response in the country telling the media that sure, a kid died, but they were pretty sick already, so

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Well Elections Canada themselves are running almost exactly the same survey, mine wasn't through Ipsos though...

Yeah, the actual post-election survey by Elections Canada is being done this year through Advanis/TellCityHall.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

terrorist ambulance posted:

Truly awful. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be grieving the death of your child and have a government rep responsible for the worst pandemic response in the country telling the media that sure, a kid died, but they were pretty sick already, so

And the chumps defending it saying “well it’s important to calm ‘most parents’ and give them the data for a risk assessment.” Lol no it’s loving not.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Health Services posted:

Yeah, the actual post-election survey by Elections Canada is being done this year through Advanis/TellCityHall.
Hmm, I wonder if it's some other group trying to make people think it's EC's post election survey.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

And the chumps defending it saying “well it’s important to calm ‘most parents’ and give them the data for a risk assessment.” Lol no it’s loving not.

Especially when it's far from clear what the risks are. They have no idea how much COVID is in schools, and there's conflicting / developing information on the long term effects of covid infection in children.

How she thinks she has any credibility at this point when her role has been transparently running interference for the politically driven public health decisions made by the UCP. Just say it's a tragedy and a reminder we need to do everything we can to stop the spread, talking about the kids pre existing conditions is just minimizing the fact a 14 year old died because of the uncontrolled spread of covid in this province

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://edmontonjournal.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/they-are-trying-to-kill-us-alberta-city-at-odds-with-homeless-outreach-group/

The Alberta "Kill The Homeless" Advantage

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How does every new story out of Alberta keep getting worse? How?

Like Im numb to the Ford stupidity and still get mad when they do dumb poo poo like, say, opt out of a national daycare program that would hardly cost them anything. But this Alberta stuff is just a constant barrage of :what:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else find it funny that the only people at the Alberta Leg buildings right now are antivax protesters and Pedro Pascal filming the Last of Us HBO series.

Also 38 more people died so ICU capacity is holding steady.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 14, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Furnaceface posted:

Like Im numb to the Ford stupidity and still get mad when they do dumb poo poo like, say, opt out of a national daycare program that would hardly cost them anything. But this Alberta stuff is just a constant barrage of :what:

that dipshit councillor they quote accurately represents the views of at least a third of everyone on Alberta on homeless/addiction care.

the political class here is full of scumbags and grifters, but don't underestimate the low quality of the people themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Ford, Ontario is going to announce more restrictions being lifted next week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6209162

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Does anyone else find it funny that the only people at the Alberta Leg buildings right now are antivax protesters and Pedro Pascal filming the Last of Us HBO series.

Also 38 more people died so ICU capacity is holding steady.

Writers are really laying the irony on thick this season huh.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was just thinking that filming a Last of Us show in Alberta during a pandemic is one of those stranger than fiction things, can't make that poo poo up.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Alberta Pandemic 2021: At Least It’s Not Cordyceps ™️

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yet.

I mean, there's a reason Jason Kenny is trying to decimate Alberta and there's no definitive proof it isn't cordyceps.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

that dipshit councillor they quote accurately represents the views of at least a third of everyone on Alberta on homeless/addiction care.

the political class here is full of scumbags and grifters, but don't underestimate the low quality of the people themselves.

And that's not to let others off the hook. Similar opinions have strong representation in both Vancouver and Ottawa as well. When I lived in Vancouver I was within easy walking distance to Chinatown and the DTES and here in Ottawa it's about the same to Shepherds of Good Hope etc. We're lucky that our councillor is actually not a dipshit because there are people that would rather the homeless be dead than have to walk past them.

We still hear news about our former building in Vancouver and apparently it's gotten quite bad with petty crime, drug use, etc. But these assholes apparently can't draw a line between social program funding issues and other challenges caused by covid to the increase in community problems. They think that these organizations cause these problems as opposed to mitigating them, so they want them to be shut down.

Homeless people don't magically disappear when you shut down their services. They will resort to whatever they have to to survive, until they die. Because they were killed by NIMBYs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol, Bert Chen, the guy who opened up the call for a leadership review against Erin O'Toole got suspended from the Conservative council following complaints so now he's taken to Facebook to say that the party has been silencing O'Toole's critics.

Also Dougie moved up his announcement regarding restrictions easing to tomorrow. First time in a month since we've seen the blob.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ford-to-speak-this-friday-on-plans-to-move-ontario-out-of-step-3-1.5622432

Article posted:

As part of that “phased approach” sources say the government is looking at potentially relaxing mandatory proof of vaccination rules, as long as the province’s pandemic picture continues to improve.
Coronavirus Coverage
“[We are] looking as possibly getting to a point where vaccine certificates won’t be mandatory anymore,” a source with knowledge of the plan said.

Of course the massive loving concern is that there's rumours he's going to make the vaccine passport system voluntary rather than mandatory, which seems like it could be a big problem to anyone with more than two brain cells.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 14, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The vax verification app for Ontario businesses seems to be available early:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/verify-ontario/id1584425317

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.ontario.verify

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

The cruelty is the point.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arc Hammer posted:

Also Dougie moved up his announcement regarding restrictions easing to tomorrow. First time in a month since we've seen the blob.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ford-to-speak-this-friday-on-plans-to-move-ontario-out-of-step-3-1.5622432

Of course the massive loving concern is that there's rumours he's going to make the vaccine passport system voluntary rather than mandatory, which seems like it could be a big problem to anyone with more than two brain cells.

loving WHAT

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mad Hamish posted:

loving WHAT

Considering the many news articles about restaurants and bars complaining that they're running out of government support money and the double standard of full capacity arenas versus distanced dining rooms, most owners are going to not volunteer for the program. This is why you use loving mandates.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ontario will apparently be announcing the ending of capacity limits in restaurants next week. This probably is in tandem with the QR codes for easier verification.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-restrictions-exit-stage-3-1.6209162

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZeeBoi posted:

Ontario will be announcing the ending of capacity limits in restaurants next week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-restrictions-exit-stage-3-1.6209162

Alongside making the passport system voluntary, apparently. This is a problem.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

The new plan will include guidance about travel and more specifics about when the province will transition the proof-of-vaccination program from mandatory to voluntary, said the official. "Ontarians will have a better idea of what they can expect in the months ahead as we continue to confront COVID-19," the official added.

I assume they won't make it voluntary right away. Maybe when numbers continue to go down and it's endemic.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Alongside making the passport system voluntary, apparently. This is a problem.

Every time I think BC is at peak gently caress up, Doug just takes that right back.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ZeeBoi posted:

I assume they won't make it voluntary right away. Maybe when numbers continue to go down and it's endemic.

That would make sense so Dougie will probably just start it tomorrow.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Doug is going to do all kinds of stupid poo poo leading up to the election. Brace yourself.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

Doug is going to do all kinds of stupid poo poo leading up to the election. Brace yourself.

We have been bracing ourselves since he got elected as that was when stupid poo poo started.

I am 99% certain he is doing this so that he can make the claim come election time that he got Ontario back to how it was before the pandemic.

e: I knew he got an approval bump from the pandemic but I totally forgot he had Wynne levels of approval ratings. Maybe reminding people how much they hated you in the past isnt the best political strategy.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

ChickenDoodle posted:

Every time I think BC is at peak gently caress up, Doug just takes that right back.

Let’s be real: Is anyone actually enforcing it, anywhere? All I have seen are endless stories about restaurants everywhere publicly announcing they will be violating the rules and nothing happening from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Enforcing what, the vaccine passport, or the enforcement of the vaccine passport mandate?

Every place I've been to here in Toronto since the mandate has come into effect has checked my vaccination status for indoor dining. I can't say whether bylaw officers are doing enforcement blitzes to ensure that's the case though.