Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AP: genocide over. everybody go home

d&d:
That is an incredibly bleak article, holy gently caress.

So they've moved from "put them all into concentration camps" to "turn their homes and towns into concentration camps".

ONE OF A KIND ANDRIAN ZENZ NFTs BUY NOW, UNIQUE cultural genocide opportunity!!! don’t miss out!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I support self determination but it’s like 90% of Taiwan just want the perpetual status quou and if the the status quou will just lead to China slowly taking over then they might as well do it now and save everyone’s time.

Same thing with Puerto Rico. Independence is not desired, statehood was always trending positively but people were fine with the status quou until everything started falling apart at the seems, now a clear majority wants statehood.

The question is, what would have to happen for Taiwan to start considering that the status quou is no longer a sweet deal. What can China or the US offer or not, for them to swing to one side or the other.

pretty much. all the independent taiwan poo poo is just the cia and various attempts at color revolution. even as a red fash tankie that wants to see the cpc rule over the island, even the cpc doesn't particularly care to just take over; they know better than anyone that communist party rule only works when the people want it. so yeah i think the most likely outcome is as the US empire wanes, people in taiwan turn to the strength and stability the cpc offers versus increasingly erratic demands and unreliable support from the west/US in particular

even the mainland has a lot of special economic zones and the like to fit local conditions and boost particular sectors that need different, often more relaxed regulations. its entirely reasonable to expect that even in the event of the cpc rather suddenly taking over the island, there would be a concerted effort to avoid a major shock to the status quo

hot witch divorcee has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Oct 12, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I assume that unless Tsai and the DPP completely gently caress up everything between now and the next set of elections, there's absolutely no chance of the KMT coming back into power, yes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hot witch divorcee posted:

pretty much. all the independent taiwan poo poo is just the cia and various attempts at color revolution. even as a red fash tankie that wants to see the cpc rule over the island, even the cpc doesn't particularly care to just take over; they know better than anyone that communist party rule only works when the people want it. so yeah i think the most likely outcome is as the US empire wanes, people in taiwan turn to the strength and stability the cpc offers versus increasingly erratic demands and unreliable support from the west/US in particular

even the mainland has a lot of special economic zones and the like to fit local conditions and boost particular sectors that need different, often more relaxed regulations. its entirely reasonable to expect that even in the event of the cpc rather suddenly taking over the island, there would be a concerted effort to avoid a major shock to the status quo
gonna be loving sweet when the letter orgs cry "what about gay marriage????" about the impending taiwan reorganization right when the US itself is regionally converting to anglo-saxon sharia law

Venomous posted:

I assume that unless Tsai and the DPP completely gently caress up everything between now and the next set of elections, there's absolutely no chance of the KMT coming back into power, yes
that's actually extremely likely by the looks of things, see the recent "we must import US chemically-treated pork to undercut our own pork suppliers"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that's actually extremely likely by the looks of things, see the recent "we must import US chemically-treated pork to undercut our own pork suppliers"

oh, bravo. Liberalism fucks everything up lmao

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hot witch divorcee posted:

ok ill bite why the hell do you support taiwan independence

it's mostly the self-determination aspect tbh; if they decide as a country to rejoin voluntarily that's cool too, as long as it's their choice and they aren't forced to do it by geopolitical forces. Though tbh I find China's focus on taiwan to be a waste of time, it's just red meat for the nationalists; recognizing them as indy wouldn't mean anything to the country except be 'embarrassing' from a historical perspective. I fully believe a recognized Taiwan would be super friendly towards China anyway and their relationship with the US is entirely based on necessity, they'd likely dump the US security-wise after recognition because lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Venomous posted:

Kmt still wont have a chance regardless.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

it's mostly the self-determination aspect tbh; if they decide as a country to rejoin voluntarily that's cool too, as long as it's their choice and they aren't forced to do it by geopolitical forces. Though tbh I find China's focus on taiwan to be a waste of time, it's just red meat for the nationalists; recognizing them as indy wouldn't mean anything to the country except be 'embarrassing' from a historical perspective. I fully believe a recognized Taiwan would be super friendly towards China anyway and their relationship with the US is entirely based on necessity, they'd likely dump the US security-wise after recognition because lmao

can countries dumb dump the US security-wise. what example is there to follow.

edit: that was fun typo

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Oct 12, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Kmt still wont have a chance regardless.

IIRC the last KMT guy was like "one country two systems won't work for taiwan" and then he lost the election for KMT chairmanship

Atrocious Joe posted:

can countries dumb the US security-wise. what example is there to follow.

Afghanistan :smuggo: It would be easier for Taiwan I think, mostly because US military involvement is extremely hush-hush, so you could probably just boot everyone without any issues.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Venomous posted:

Recent polls had them between a few %s of each other, but its clear that they are both bleeding because more people are finding the current status quou unappealing. But guess what, the party thats gaining that bled support is "centrist" middle path party thats actually secretly right wing and would absolutely be part in slow transition toward the chinese hegemony if it means they get to hold power.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Just declare them a neutral.

Atrocious Joe posted:

can countries dumb dump the US security-wise. what example is there to follow.

edit: that was fun typo

Finland and Austria during the Cold War

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

IIRC the last KMT guy was like "one country two systems won't work for taiwan" and then he lost the election for KMT chairmanship

I dont remember the exactly number but KMT has extremely low under 40 party members.

quote:

Afghanistan :smuggo: It would be easier for Taiwan I think, mostly because US military involvement is extremely hush-hush, so you could probably just boot everyone without any issues.

When poo poo hits the fan, i really think Kabul airport 2.0 will happen.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

Just declare them a neutral.

Finland and Austria during the Cold War

The sea lanes around Taiwan are simply too strategic for both sides. It is why at the end of the day, Taiwan will have to fall on one side or the other.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:51 on Oct 13, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo5odzLpwl4

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1446132408143675398?s=20
https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1446136185391239178?s=20

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
reddit is insufficiently sinophobic

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Glad the UK Defence Journal is covering this extremely important topic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

https://twitter.com/Characterlacks/status/1446167042327986176

:thunk:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
indeed, why is reddit removing articles about the british doing increasingly stupid naval poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It even says in the tag 'covered by other articles' so they're literally mad they couldn't post MULTIPLE stories about the same stupid 'look how tough we are floating through your water' posturing!

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AP: genocide over. everybody go home

d&d:
That is an incredibly bleak article, holy gently caress.

So they've moved from "put them all into concentration camps" to "turn their homes and towns into concentration camps".

God Emperor Xi is just making sure the museum uyghur are still around for the great scattering.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kassad posted:

Glad the UK Defence Journal is covering this extremely important topic.
this is the reddit mindwar. welcome to the brainfuck zone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why does that even matter? who cares if some subreddit wants to keep its community from descending into sinophobia?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
its amazing that someone thinks the brits driving their lovely carrier into the south china sea is some kind of embarrassment to china

let it launch a few planes and start another opium war 1v1 and lets see who gets embarrassed lmao

Goast has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Oct 13, 2021

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Goast posted:

its amazing that someone thinks the brits driving their lovely carrier into the south china sea is some kind of embarrassment to china

let it launch a few planes and start another opium war 1v1 and lets see who gets embarrassed lmao
Are all the planes still American?

Rule Britannia laffo

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Are all the planes still American?

Rule Britannia laffo

its supposed to start using the vtol f-35 because it doesn't have a catapult to launch planes normally or wires to catch them landing

literally lacking 1940's carrier technology

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Scholars_Stage/status/1448129231490273280

gonna add inventing school ranking lists to the giant shameful directory of chinas crimes against humanity

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Goast posted:

its supposed to start using the vtol f-35 because it doesn't have a catapult to launch planes normally or wires to catch them landing

In an ironic twist of fate Britain is reduced to cargo cult colonialism. Driving a boat near things in an absolutely pathetic attempt at regaining their glory days as drug pushing slaver pirates.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Goast posted:

Most of the planes are literally American planes being flown by American pilots, because the UK ran out of money before they could outfit the air wing.

The story of the ship itself is pretty great

https://www.navylookout.com/cats-traps-and-claptrap-why-the-royal-navys-new-aircraft-carriers-operate-vstol-aircraft/

They started out wanting 2 ships, then realized they didn't have enough money to operate 2 ships, but were already committed to building 2, so the 2nd one is probably going to be either built and then put into storage immediately without doing anything or sold to some other country. The ship was initially designed to use SVTOL aircraft, then midway a tory government came to power and proclaimed they were going to switch over to catapult launched planes so they could use the same planes that the US uses, but a few years in realizes it was too expensive to convert halfway through and reversed course again.

The current French navy would wipe out the British Navy in a fight.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
China just needs to sell Argentina a few batches of anti-ship missiles and the aircraft to launch them and the British Navy will be at the bottom of the sea in short order.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The sea lanes around Taiwan are simply too strategic for both side. It is why at the end of the day, Taiwan will have to fall on one side or the other.

It's indeed not the best place for neutrality

If there were ever an actual conflict between the US and China, how would you even go around Taiwan?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/PostOpinions/status/1447691335448809481?s=20
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1447971462690836480?s=20

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

genericnick posted:

If there were ever an actual conflict between the US and China, how would you even go around Taiwan?

south korea, japan, vietnam(lmao), russia(second lmao nice try) and afghanistan(triple lmao)
20th century american foreign policy make much more sense that way, to the government that hates china at least

Goast has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Oct 13, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goast posted:

south korea, japan, vietnam(lmao), russia(second lmao nice try) and afghanistan(triple lmao)
20th century american foreign policy make much more sense that way, to the government that hates china at least

I mean China. I suppose they would want to sneak around with submarines and blow up ships without getting tangled up in some old Taiwanese grandfather's fishing lines.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

I mean China. I suppose they would want to sneak around with submarines and blow up ships without getting tangled up in some old Taiwanese grandfather's fishing lines.

if the US is invading china, i don't think china would have any concerns about collateral damage vis a vis taiwan since it'd by necessity be a logistics point well-known beforehand. do you think the US would launch a war from okinawa

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I guess we're so used to the president not being bound by the constitution with regard to warmaking that it was a shock for our journalists to discover that there is still one nation where waging war requires an act of congress.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

genericnick posted:

Oh so all of those artificial islands are suddenly not worth building anymore

genericnick posted:

It's indeed not the best place for neutrality

Still funny how Austria and Switzerland formed a tiny little neutral corridor in the south, and Sweden-Finland formed one in the north.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i say swears online posted:

if the US is invading china, i don't think china would have any concerns about collateral damage vis a vis taiwan since it'd by necessity be a logistics point well-known beforehand. do you think the US would launch a war from okinawa

Wait a second, this discussion is absolutely mad. Why would the U.S. try to launch attacks on the Chinese mainland in the event of war? The U.S. isn't even willing to bomb Iran, you think they would really try to invade China? How does that make any logistical sense? It would be like Japan thinking they could conquer the continental U.S. during WWII.

And why wouldn't both sides just launch conventional non-nuke ICBMs at each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
US doctrine is clear that it considers Taiwan part of its "first Island chain" line of containment versus the PRC (alongside Japan/Philippines). The idea isn't to invade China but have the ability to cut its sea lanes in order to bottle up trade and its military. The PRC isn't exactly that happy about this, including the fact that Taiwan's ADZ literally covers parts of Mainland China or is only a few miles off its coast. The islands in the South China Sea haven't changed this issue (since China can be blocked by the Malaysia/India).

If Taiwan was neutral, it wouldn't satisfy the PRC, since Taiwan would be a potentially hostile state that controls strategic sea and air space off mainland China. It also wouldn't satisfy the US because the US wouldn't be sure it would be hostile to Chinese interests. There are obviously also historical issues at stake, but the strategic ones are clear enough.

(Also, the Alps are basically the opposite of Taiwan, obstacles that are to be avoided. Taiwan is like if you made Fulda an independent state, one side or the other is going to want to control it.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Oct 13, 2021