Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That Works posted:

Tell me your thoughts on electric leaf blowers. I have not been a leaf blower user before but am considering.

I have either Ryobi 40v or Dewalt 20v batteries to choose from for this. Are the electric ones up to par now? Any big difference between those 2 brands / models to avoid etc?

I have the full size M18 and love it. It's comparable to the old echo 2-stroke I had as a kid. (Except it always starts!) I do way way WAY more blowing than I would with gas because I just pick it up and blow whenever I want. No noise, stink, fuel, etc.

I also have the tiny one and its the only M18 tool I feel like I shouldnt have gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just a heads up, Amazon has a bunch of Dewalt tools on sale today. Cordless and corded. DWS715 12" Miter Saw is only $199 or $299 with the stand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wandler20 posted:

Just a heads up, Amazon has a bunch of Dewalt tools on sale today. Cordless and corded. DWS715 12" Miter Saw is only $199 or $299 with the stand.

Thanks for this, grabbed the impact driver set I had been wanting.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

wandler20 posted:

I just bought a used one for $175 so I'd like to think I made this sale happen . You're welcome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Update on the jointer:

I took a look and I'm going to take it and huck it in the corner and come to it down the road - it's a 4" jointer, not 6", so it'll be mostly useful for edge jointing, which is still useful. I have a few other rust removal projects (an old metal leg vise and the frame of an old sewing machine) so I'll grab an angle grinder when I see one that I want go on sale and go on a rust removal spree at some point.

Funny thing though - I showed a picture of the jointer to my welder in-law who fixed my hewing hatchet and then he gave me an identical jointer :backtowork: so now I have two, or at least parts.

He also gave me the metal I need to make my own planing stop.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually here's a question for the thread:

What angle grinder should I get? Canadian Tire is selling a two pack :rolleyes: of Mastercraft 6A 4.5" angle grinders for $80, but for $80 I can also get the Ryobi 18v 1+ battery grinder to go with my other battery tools, or for $40 a 5.5A Ryobi corded on at regular price. The two pack tempts me because it would be nice to have one for a brush and another for a grinder, even though they're pretty trashy tools.

But looking at these cheap tools I'm thinking about the harbor freight advice: don't buy the harbor freight stuff that spins fast, and from what I can see Mastercraft is the Canadian harbor freight, and Ryobi isn't far ahead.

Any strong angle grinder opinions here?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I broke my manufacturer's heart and switched colors for my angle grinder and went with the DeWalt. For $65 I got their 6.5 amp jobber and it is pretty juicy. Has the paddle switch instead of the classic on/off toggle so it stops if you drop it. Been using it for rust removal specifically and it works great. If you're interested I can grab the model number.

E: corded since where I do my metal work has an outlet every two inches.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The fifteen-dollar HF angle grinder is the best value in the store. :colbert:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CommonShore posted:

Actually here's a question for the thread:

What angle grinder should I get? Canadian Tire is selling a two pack :rolleyes: of Mastercraft 6A 4.5" angle grinders for $80, but for $80 I can also get the Ryobi 18v 1+ battery grinder to go with my other battery tools, or for $40 a 5.5A Ryobi corded on at regular price. The two pack tempts me because it would be nice to have one for a brush and another for a grinder, even though they're pretty trashy tools.

But looking at these cheap tools I'm thinking about the harbor freight advice: don't buy the harbor freight stuff that spins fast, and from what I can see Mastercraft is the Canadian harbor freight, and Ryobi isn't far ahead.

Any strong angle grinder opinions here?

I thought MasterCraft was the Menards house brand but maybe I'm wrong. I honestly don't think their tools are that bad but I can't say on the cordless stuff. The idea of having two and not having to change out all the time is a great idea. Probably not much help here other than I'd say MasterCraft is quite a bit better than Harbor Freight in my experience. I guess worst case if they do suck after using them a bit you could return them.

Edit: Cordless was a huge game changer in my grinding experience.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Where's my grinder post?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

wandler20 posted:

I bit on the miter saw. I already have a 10'' Makita slider attached to its own miter station but it just barely can't cut 4x4 in one pass and it'd be a pain to move outside and back so I've been wanting a second 12'' saw and this was just what I needed to justify it. Thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wandler20 posted:

I thought MasterCraft was the Menards house brand but maybe I'm wrong. I honestly don't think their tools are that bad but I can't say on the cordless stuff. The idea of having two and not having to change out all the time is a great idea. Probably not much help here other than I'd say MasterCraft is quite a bit better than Harbor Freight in my experience. I guess worst case if they do suck after using them a bit you could return them.

oh maybe it's better than Harbor Freight. I have no experience with HF at all. Canadian Tire has two lines of tools: Mastercraft, which is priced around where Ryobi tools are, or a bit lower, and Maximum, which are a bit below Rigid. MC is one of the cheapest tool lines in Canada, though I also see some obnoxiously cheap Skil and Black and Decker tools here and there. I have a few Mastercraft corded tools and they've been alright, but I've slowly been upgrading them (the circ saw is next on the chopping block). None of them are high-speed tools like an angle grinder though.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I've asked this question here before, but I figured I'd try again. I am interested in getting a roto hammer or demo hammer for almost exclusively digging in my yard. I borrow one from work occasionally to do this, but I have days on the weekends where I get the itch to work on a project and borrowing tools requires some foresight.

I have several Milwaukee 18 volt tools, and thus I have a couple batteries, including one big one for yard tools.

I've had my eyes on the smallest Milwaukee SDS Max rotohammer (1 9/16 inch), and someone near me is selling one new in box on the second hand market, but has been unable to find a buyer for the last 2 or 3 months. He's finally revised the price down to something I'm willing to pay.

Does anyone have any experience with a battery powered rotohammer? Will I regret not getting a corded one?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Xenix posted:

I've asked this question here before, but I figured I'd try again. I am interested in getting a roto hammer or demo hammer for almost exclusively digging in my yard. I borrow one from work occasionally to do this, but I have days on the weekends where I get the itch to work on a project and borrowing tools requires some foresight.

I have several Milwaukee 18 volt tools, and thus I have a couple batteries, including one big one for yard tools.

I've had my eyes on the smallest Milwaukee SDS Max rotohammer (1 9/16 inch), and someone near me is selling one new in box on the second hand market, but has been unable to find a buyer for the last 2 or 3 months. He's finally revised the price down to something I'm willing to pay.

Does anyone have any experience with a battery powered rotohammer? Will I regret not getting a corded one?

I have that exact rotohammer (Milwaukee M18 1-9/16") and it's a beast. If you use it continuously for a long period of time it gets pretty loving hot but I bought mine second hand and it was a little beat up so it could just need more grease or something else is messed up with it. In either case it gets pretty light use from me and with gloves on it's not too hot to use.

Here's a picture of me after I used it to strip the thick rock and mortar around a well house. I then used it to demolish the rest of the concrete filled cinder-block well house, except the slab foundation. I did it over 2 days a week apart and the hammer didn't fail me once. It just got real hot sometimes. The battery lasted a surprisingly long time between swaps, but I was mostly doing small bursts of chiseling to bring the thing down.

That's likely the most use it will ever see from me. I originally purchased it to drill some holes in concrete and brick for my house. I do not regret going battery powered at all. The thing is a beast.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 13, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The fifteen-dollar HF angle grinder is the best value in the store. :colbert:

just don't buy the cutoff wheels from there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wandler20 posted:

CommonShore posted:

oh maybe it's better than Harbor Freight. I have no experience with HF at all. Canadian Tire has two lines of tools: Mastercraft, which is priced around where Ryobi tools are, or a bit lower, and Maximum, which are a bit below Rigid. MC is one of the cheapest tool lines in Canada, though I also see some obnoxiously cheap Skil and Black and Decker tools here and there. I have a few Mastercraft corded tools and they've been alright, but I've slowly been upgrading them (the circ saw is next on the chopping block). None of them are high-speed tools like an angle grinder though.

So yes Mastercraft is a Menards house brand, but it's what they use for doors and trim and things like that. I've never seen a Mastercraft tool at Menards. So my guess is that it's just a coincidence. If you look at Mastercraft tools on Canadian Tire's site you'll see a logo that's totally different from the Mastercraft logo you'll see on Menards site.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm buying a HF mechanic's tool cart this weekend; if y'all don't hear from me by Tuesday of next week it somehow caught exploded and that is how I perished.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm picking up my Blue HF top chest today that I ordered 4 weeks ago, same.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm picking up my Blue HF top chest today that I ordered 4 weeks ago, same.

:hfive:

Their blue is nice but dat green doe :swoon:

I was eyeing their top chests too, actually! But I found this auction site through my employer and got a 5-drawer All American tool chest for $51 :smuggo:

Fairly confident I can work out the two dents in it, and if not, whatever, still works!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The HF employees were very confused that I didn't just want to walk out with the red one they had in store, and I really wanted the color I wanted, even if I would have to wait for it. But you can't put all those beautiful colors on display in the store and expect me to settle!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FISHMANPET posted:

So yes Mastercraft is a Menards house brand, but it's what they use for doors and trim and things like that. I've never seen a Mastercraft tool at Menards. So my guess is that it's just a coincidence. If you look at Mastercraft tools on Canadian Tire's site you'll see a logo that's totally different from the Mastercraft logo you'll see on Menards site.

Oh poo poo, you're right, I'm thinking of Masterforce tools.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No worries, I had that exact thought, it wasn't until I googled it and saw an ad for Menards doors that I remembered. Having worked at Menards for a year and half, plus basically growing up going there all the time, some of that stuff is like second nature now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Literally A Ghost posted:

E: corded since where I do my metal work has an outlet every two inches.
Careful, some of the drywall in that place might be load bearing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slugworth posted:

Careful, some of the drywall in that place might be load bearing.

Yeah but the mismatched windows give it real charm.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CommonShore posted:

Unless you've got a big battery from Ryobi, get the corded MasterCraft brand.

I've got a cordless Milwaukee and it'll eat 6ah batteries like nothing. Even my 8ah battery doesn't last *that* long with that grinder. That's the fuel, brushless model, if I'm not mistaken, the brushless tools are a bit easier on batteries than brushed models.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 13, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Buy the best angle grinder that fits well in your hands and matches how you like to hold it. Spend some time just holding the display models. You're going to be holding the grinder for long periods of time, which isn't the case for most tools. Make sure you like the switch type and placement and it feels natural to operate it. For example, I prefer to hold the body of the grinder, so I like a paddle switch except on my 7" one where that's not an option.

For your use case, I would recommend a corded model- cordless ones don't have the runtime for what you're doing here. Get a 4.5" one- this is the most common size and you can get consumables anywhere on earth. For brand, I'd say stick to the big 3.5: DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, and possibly Ryobi if you're a light user.

I have had 100% success with DeWalt grinders. My wife objected to me buying a cheap grinder 10 years ago- a tool spinning a heavy disk at 11,000 rpm isn't something to skimp on. I bought a DeWalt corded one and I've used it for hours at a time for years with no trouble.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 13, 2021

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

I have that exact rotohammer (Milwaukee M18 1-9/16") and it's a beast. If you use it continuously for a long period of time it gets pretty loving hot but I bought mine second hand and it was a little beat up so it could just need more grease or something else is messed up with it. In either case it gets pretty light use from me and with gloves on it's not too hot to use.

Here's a picture of me after I used it to strip the thick rock and mortar around a well house. I then used it to demolish the rest of the concrete filled cinder-block well house, except the slab foundation. I did it over 2 days a week apart and the hammer didn't fail me once. It just got real hot sometimes. The battery lasted a surprisingly long time between swaps, but I was mostly doing small bursts of chiseling to bring the thing down.

That's likely the most use it will ever see from me. I originally purchased it to drill some holes in concrete and brick for my house. I do not regret going battery powered at all. The thing is a beast.

Hey thats good to hear. It makes me less nervous about buying it.

This guy is selling it new for $200 under retail. I could probably get a rebuilt Hilti demo hammer for about as much (that's usually what I borrow when I borrow one), but the cord is a pain, and demo hammers are a bit too big and unwieldy for what I want to use it for. I have a bunch of stumps to remove and I already dug 8 out with a pick and pinch point bar. The bar is exhausting to use all day so I'd rather a rotohammer do the heavy lifting for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

When I worked in a shipyard they bought DeWalt grinders if that tells you anything. They got walked on, dropped from ladders, welded on, etc etc and mosty just kept going. I’ve had a 4.5” deWalt for a decade or so and it has never let me down. They have a quick change, tool-less nut thing that works pretty well. In general, the more amps the better/heavier built.

That being said I actually do hear good things about HF angle grinders and for occasional use it’s probably fine? Or as a secondary one?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A few people have mentioned the secret to hazard fraud grinders lasting for more than like 15 minutes is to open up the gear box and replace whatever the gently caress "grease" they use and put some real grease in there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

A few people have mentioned the secret to hazard fraud grinders lasting for more than like 15 minutes is to open up the gear box and replace whatever the gently caress "grease" they use and put some real grease in there.

That is indeed the secret. The "grease" is poo poo, and they don't clean the case out from casting/manufacturing swarf.

And they are so cheap you don't need a quick change chock because you just buy one for each type of wheel you need to use.

Also echoing to never, ever buy wheels at HF. Only the grinders.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Xenix posted:

Hey thats good to hear. It makes me less nervous about buying it.

This guy is selling it new for $200 under retail. I could probably get a rebuilt Hilti demo hammer for about as much (that's usually what I borrow when I borrow one), but the cord is a pain, and demo hammers are a bit too big and unwieldy for what I want to use it for. I have a bunch of stumps to remove and I already dug 8 out with a pick and pinch point bar. The bar is exhausting to use all day so I'd rather a rotohammer do the heavy lifting for me.

I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I paid $300 for my used one that was missing the front handle (a $20 part).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was going to say, if you buy a HF grinder, regrease it and buy nice wheels.

HF wheels will eventually end up in your skin, the nearby walls, your neighbors siding, the moon ...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cordless grinders are great for taking off skate stops or stealing bicycles.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

FCKGW posted:

Cordless grinders are great for taking off skate stops or stealing bicycles.

Innocent until I'm proven guilty.

Deny everything.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I've had a miter saw on my wishlist for a while and this got me to take the plunge.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can I get some recs on impact driver bit sets? I need to build a wood store before winter arrives.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

knox_harrington posted:

Can I get some recs on impact driver bit sets? I need to build a wood store before winter arrives.

:rolleyes:

They sell lumber at the hardware store, OP.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks for the tip!

Firewood store, and I want to get it in and a couple of cubic metres of larch delivered before there's too much snow on the ground.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://youtu.be/6-xOHQTT5tw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Get starbit screws and just get whatever seems reasonably priced, I'm not sure brand of bit is something you need to obsess over for the scale of projects around the house.