Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BHB posted:

we have muscovies and they do chase around flies and such sometimes, but I wouldn't get them expecting them to solve any fly problems. they also require more maintenance and effort than chickens.

I'd be glad to answer any specific questions as best I can though

Thank you!

What kind of special care do they need? What do you like best about them and what is your least favorite thing about them? I’m also interested in raising them for meat, do you have any experience with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Joburg posted:

Thank you!

What kind of special care do they need? What do you like best about them and what is your least favorite thing about them? I’m also interested in raising them for meat, do you have any experience with that?

(I'll be answering with my partner's help, she has a good bit more experience)

special care: they want water pools, which they'll dirty up very quickly with mud and poop. they'll also stay in one area and muck it up more than chickens. My partner mentions at the farm the flock had a large grassy field complete with pond, but they stayed entirely around the food/water troughs and turned the area into a plantless mudzone. Our own bird area we keep separated from the green zones and chip or cover with straw because they keep the whole area eaten to the ground.

You also have to be more aware of your flock's gender composition, ducks can be brutal to each other when you have too many boys to girls. you would also want to read up on their sexual behavior in general, which is often pretty unpleasant.

overall you're just looking at more cleaning, more plant destruction, and more poop.

The good news is that as much as all of that applies to Muscovies, it applies far more to other types of ducks. Muscovies are smarter, more personable, and cleaner than the other varieties we used to have. They also hiss and hoot instead of quack, which I find pretty cute and which won't likely bother the neighbors.

I most enjoy watching them, the ladies have very active group dynamics that involve a lot of hooting and tail wagging. They'll also come up and do little bites at the air at me when they think I have a treat for them. The boys are pretty easy to befriend as well.

I least like how much the boys can be assholes to each other and to the girls. it's even a classic reason for people who get ducks to give when getting rid of them.

The boys are the meat birds at double or more the weight of the girls, but they're not a great feed-meat ratio due to how long they take to grow. the meat is pretty tasty though, if you've ever had Barbary Duck somewhere, it's that.

that's a jumble of thoughts so here's Opus, my special drake:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We had our first chilly soaking rain of the fall, and our birbs were not happy. Most of them just sitting under the coop and a few in the coop taking turns poking their heads out. Can't say I blame them I basically did the same all day.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Amazing that the larger goats let the tiny one stand on them.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

those are some delightfully plump goats and basilisk ducks

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

egret has always been super shy. she hates to be handled and doesn't show much interest in what humans are doing, unlike the others - even kestrel is easier for me to pick up than egret now, he's calming down with repeat handling but she still panics every time. but she is an absurdly beautiful bird

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Looking at getting some sort of solar powered light set up in our coup for the winter just to help keep the girls laying eggs regularly. Anyone use anything like that? Have any links?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BHB posted:

that's a jumble of thoughts so here's Opus, my special drake:

Thanks for all the info, I love your drake.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Injured chicken is hobbling around and eating and drinking, so fingers crossed, she'll be ok!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Way to go cheep cheep

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good luck to your chicken!

look at these little beasts, they look so innocent

but my pumpkin tells another story :mad:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

hahaha oh no! will the pumpkin recover?

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

not to sure. I harvested all of them and put them in the garage so the green ones can hopefully finish ripening and no more will be pecked. I'll wash this one with a bleach solution and that might help it maintain its integrity?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Might as well just give up and let them have it. They've got the taste for Jack o lantern blood now. Think how much chickeny joy will be had!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they were already given two small pumpkins which gave them a taste for it but i want the big ones to carve. they can have it back later i guess

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

good luck to your chicken!

look at these little beasts, they look so innocent

Haven’t you heard the tale of the Headless Horseman? You have a chicken missing a head right there, so she’s probably looking for a replacement.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

yeah now she's having to use a branch as a head

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lol

i was just noticing that it's very difficult to get their heads in the picture, they're always pecking the ground

here they are enjoying some leftover groats this morning

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

borbs aplenty :orb:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Joburg posted:

Haven’t you heard the tale of the Headless Horseman? You have a chicken missing a head right there, so she’s probably looking for a replacement.

Genuinely opened that image in a new tab to zoom as I tried to determine if it was pecking the ground or just a jigglypuff silkie viewed from above.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

triangle hen

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

lol

i was just noticing that it's very difficult to get their heads in the picture, they're always pecking the ground

here they are enjoying some leftover groats this morning

i really love the variety of colours you've got going here. a kaleidoscope of joy

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

when i take the lid off their box in the morning, moose lifts her wings and all the chicks flutter out from underneath like moths

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Little mama Moose!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

when i take the lid off their box in the morning, moose lifts her wings and all the chicks flutter out from underneath like moths

We need footage of this. NEED!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Captain Log posted:

We need footage of this. NEED!

:yeah:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

:swoon:

how precious

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Here are a few of our girls who are looking fantastic coming out of their molts:

Nooter:

New Girl:

and Papi (who did not want to be photographed):

also got a video of my special girl climbing up in my lap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIJGB8Zhxg

e: also seconding the need for video of quail peepers

:kimchi:

BHB fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 15, 2021

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't have chickens, but I follow this thread because chickens are great and y'all are great and I love following along with your bird adventures. Anyway I came across this photo of sweater chickens and thought you might enjoy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ah, what do you know? I DO enjoy! Thank you!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So much chicken poo poo on the sweaters

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mustache Ride posted:

So much chicken poo poo on the sweaters

Nope, only if the fabric goes between their legs. These look like front, over the shoulders and under the wings.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I dunno, my girls manage to poo poo on each other's heads occasionally.

Sometimes I think producing poo poo is their true function, and the eggs are just incidental byproduct.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 16, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

effervescible posted:

I don't have chickens, but I follow this thread because chickens are great and y'all are great and I love following along with your bird adventures. Anyway I came across this photo of sweater chickens and thought you might enjoy.

this is delightful!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What breed is that on the right?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

What breed is that on the right?

Polish?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

BHB posted:

Nooter:

New Girl:

and Papi (who did not want to be photographed):

also got a video of my special girl climbing up in my lap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIJGB8Zhxg
i love the very patient sweater chickens, and also every single last one of these handsome creatures, and every other creature in the thread tbh

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww she loves you so much :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cross-posting from the Comics thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

quail o'clock has returned to my house. they come to our yard to feed in the morning and evening. yesterday evening i watched them for a long time before i spooked them by dispatching a hornet that landed next to me.

this morning i had to spook them when i went out to close the gate that the chickens were heading for

anyway here they are running away

i want to be a quail watcher when i grow up, they sure are cute