Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
not enough bird trollocs yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They look big and chimera-esque that's a big win to my sensibilities.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
:911: but its a trolloc and ba'alzamon's banner

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not sure about the skelle horse though. Fade looks cool

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My issue with the fade is that aside from being eyeless and pale I always thought they looked pretty much human. Like they talk a bunch in the books and even sometimes interact with normal humans when they're searching for something (although always getting a "that dude is way fuckin creepy and terrifying" response at the very least), so the extreme monstrosity of the version in the show feels like it'd remove those options.

Also it looks like voldemort a bit too much.

I am still excited for the show and know it will be wildly different from the books so I'm just yelling at clouds.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

With its hood down and while it's not screeching I think this fade would look human enough to get by. Besides, every design I've seen of more human-ish fades have looked goofy as poo poo. At least this one's scary and looks good. I assume the Voldemort comparisons are because of skin color and lack of nose? I haven't seen those movies

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
shaidar haran gonna be giving out those toothy smiles :mrgw:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope they can finish the books. I wanna see that whiplash they bring for the last battle. Death, destruction, chaos, and Rand sitting on a chair having a philosophical discussion with the devil.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

I hope they can finish the books. I wanna see that whiplash they bring for the last battle. Death, destruction, chaos, and Rand sitting on a chair having a philosophical discussion with the devil.

That his shadow counterpart was basically a philosopher that turned because he realized there was no point still tickles me.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rand's little fireside chat with Moridin might be my favorite scene in the series

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainsDescendant posted:

Rand's little fireside chat with Moridin might be my favorite scene in the series

It's definitely up there, but if I had to draw up a list of "favorite scenes" or whatever I'd get to probably like 75 or 100 before I run out of steam.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mat vs jackasses, a montage…

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A montage of THEY DID WHAT?!?!?! please

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If there is not an inevitable youtube compilation of all the skirt smoothing and braid tugging it will have failed on some level.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh neat, I didn't realize there was a Wheel of Time series coming out. Just found out when the OST single was released and it sounds pretty banging.

I remember really liking this series a decade ago when I listened to it on audiobook. Not sure if I ever finished it after the author died though. Did it have a satisfying ending with the new author? I've (almost) always like Brandon Sanderson's books since he puts so much thought into the worldbuilding of his stories, so he seems like he would have been one of their best picks for a replacement for Robert Jordan.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh neat, I didn't realize there was a Wheel of Time series coming out. Just found out when the OST single was released and it sounds pretty banging.

I remember really liking this series a decade ago when I listened to it on audiobook. Not sure if I ever finished it after the author died though. Did it have a satisfying ending with the new author? I've (almost) always like Brandon Sanderson's books since he puts so much thought into the worldbuilding of his stories, so he seems like he would have been one of their best picks for a replacement for Robert Jordan.

I would say yes, absolutely 100%. Jordan kept absolutely voluminous notes, and had many of the ending scenes written already, himself. Sanderson had a couple hiccups (most people would agree that he didn't get Mat's internal voice quite right, I think), but overall the last 3 books have some of the most haunting and engaging scenes in the whole series, and definitely deserve the read.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bout as good as an ending you could get out of it honestly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nitrousoxide posted:

As with anything in any fandom, there are disagreements. I think most WoT fans recognize that after Jordan's death, Sanderson probably did as good of a job as anyone could hope for, but there are people, including ones on this forum, who can't stand the last three books. :shrug:

For myself, I also listened to the books entirely on audiobook, and I think that helped smooth out the transition from Jordan to Sanderson for me. Having Kramer and Reading still doing the audio made it so it didn't feel too different, since the characters had the same voices. Certainly I didn't feel as smacked in the face with the changes the way some of the print readers did.

And of course, some of the last three books, including the last few pages, were written by Jordan himself before his death. Only Sanderson knows exactly which ones, of course, but you can feel Jordan's touch in quite a few scenes. For that matter, one of the very best payoff scenes in the whole drat series happens in The Gathering Storm and it would be a shame to miss it, especially if you like Sanderson's writing anyhow.

VERIN!

So I personally would recommend using a few Audible credits and listening to the last three books. They may not be perfect and they may not be exactly what Jordan would have done, but they are good, and I for one, think the series ended in a satisfactory way.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sanderson may have trouble with writing characters sometimes but he does a good job at action scenes which is like most of the last books he wrote.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There are some nits to pick, but on the whole the final 3 books are as good an end as one could expect following the death of the author. In broad strokes I found them satisfying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I maintain Siuan has one of the most fitting fates in the series. She'd given her life to getting Rand in place, and when she's told her life is on the line she doesn't hesitate to give it. Lady knew it was bigger than her.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We always come back to this. Critique Sanderson's own books all you want, but he came in to an impossible task, accepted it, and said he'd be writing his way and not trying to copy Jordan.

The only other option was nothing after Knife of Dreams, and going the way of ASOIAF. It wasn't RJ but it was decent and we have an ending and an actual tv show now.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I enjoy Sanderson's other work. I enjoy the Jordan WoT novels.

The Sanderson WoT novels felt rushed and slightly disjointed. And that's because they were. Sanderson just has a different voice than Jordan had. And even though the "final book" ended up being 3 books, it was only the final book because RJ was sick. There were a lot of beats to get to.

The ending is fine. It's much better than anything we were likely to get. Look at GoT or Berserk.

I still wouldn't mind the books from a parallel universe where RJ lived to finish the series.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm glad it was finished, even if it wasn't finished to my satisfaction. Sanderson probably did the best anyone could with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It would have been better if Jordan could have finished them himself.

There are sections of the final books that are 100% Jordan and they're generally excellent. There are sections that are pretty clearly 90% or more Sandersob and they're fine. The real problems are the sections that read like Jordan's rough drafts - close enough that Sanderson didn't want to change them much, but far enough away from "right" that they make my inner ear buzz, like, well, reading a rough draft that you want to correct.

Still a far better result overall than we had any right to expect. I don't know of any other series that's ever been handed off even half as successfully.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

For my opinion, The Gathering Storm alone has perhaps 5 or 6 of the best chapters in the entire series (I'm sure those were mostly written by Jordan, but Sanderson does a good job of propelling the story towards those pivotal moments at least.). I think if you enjoyed the series up to that point at all, you are definitely missing out if you don't read the last few books.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 15, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gully Foyle posted:

For my opinion, The Gathering Storm alone has perhaps 5 or 6 of the best chapters in the entire series (I'm sure those were mostly written by Jordan, but Sanderson does a good job of propelling the story towards those pivotal moments at least.). I think if you enjoyed the series up to that point at all, you are definitely missing out if you don't read the last few books.

Yeah, gathering storm and crossroads between then are just, whew. So many long awaited most excellent payoffs, and tons of equally great small moments. I can't be at all unhappy about most things in those books.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The final 3 books are better than most of the Jordan ones. Jordan's over-verbose writing style was awful, the Sanderson trilogy just reads so much smoother

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Barreft posted:

We always come back to this. Critique Sanderson's own books all you want, but he came in to an impossible task, accepted it, and said he'd be writing his way and not trying to copy Jordan.

The only other option was nothing after Knife of Dreams, and going the way of ASOIAF. It wasn't RJ but it was decent and we have an ending and an actual tv show now.

Sanderson has mentioned that Harriet initially considered GRRM to finish the books (Jordan and GRRM were good friends) and decided against it because she thought GRRM's fans might just have rioted. One can only imagine what would have happened if he'd been given the job instead (presumably we'd still be waiting for AMOL).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Sanderson has mentioned that Harriet initially considered GRRM to finish the books (Jordan and GRRM were good friends) and decided against it because she thought GRRM's fans might just have rioted. One can only imagine what would have happened if he'd been given the job instead (presumably we'd still be waiting for TOM).

ftfy

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Sanderson did an amazing job, with the obvious exceptions of a really bad monologue from Mat in TGS that just plain sucks and his annoying habit of tying up loose ends when they didn't really need it in extremely unsubtle almost 4th wall breaking ways (so many times characters would suddenly say/think something like "Oh so that thing in book 3 was because of THIS")

Aside from that I actually prefer his faster paced 3 books to the later novels from Jordan in the series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Neal! posted:

Sanderson did an amazing job, with the obvious exceptions of a really bad monologue from Mat in TGS that just plain sucks and his annoying habit of tying up loose ends when they didn't really need it in extremely unsubtle almost 4th wall breaking ways (so many times characters would suddenly say/think something like "Oh so that thing in book 3 was because of THIS")

Aside from that I actually prefer his faster paced 3 books to the later novels from Jordan in the series.

My biggest complaint about them isn't the change in writing styles and it isn't even the portrayal of Mat. It's Androl stealing all of Logain's thunder. Logain should have been the loyal Ashaman we follow in the last few books, and he's the one who should have done the hero moves that Androl gets. ESPECIALLY with Min's "glory" viewing! :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I know one guy who doesn't like the last three books, but is still glad to have read them, because now he knows how things end. He still rereads the first 11 books from time to time, and says it's satisfying to know where all the plots go and how they get tied up. But he doesn't reread TGS, TOM and AMOL because the books feel off. But he still agrees that actually having a definitive ending to the series, and Jordan's preplanned ending at that (even if it wasn't written quite the right way), is a massive boon to the series as a whole. The other example he cited was Dune, which did get an ending, but whether it was the one Herbert had in mind... many fans doubt that, including my friend.

I believe most fans agree that it had a satisfying ending, even if the quality of the last three books is debated a lot. But you can open the wiki and read the plot summary, and it all just makes sense. We WoT fans are so much better off than the ASOIAF fans, imho.

Edit: Also, I would love to take a peek at the parallel universe where GRRM was picked to finished the series, just to see the reaction of his readers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In that universe, there'd be more fan reaction than words written.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Sanderson may have trouble with writing characters sometimes but he does a good job at action scenes which is like most of the last books he wrote.

Sanderson is good at cinematic action scenes where in a movie there'd be lots of cool slowmo and poses and crazy acrobatics. Jordan was far better of conveying what a fight would actually be like in my opinion, probably because of his experience as a vet in Vietnam

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It would have been better if Jordan could have finished them himself.

There are sections of the final books that are 100% Jordan and they're generally excellent. There are sections that are pretty clearly 90% or more Sandersob and they're fine. The real problems are the sections that read like Jordan's rough drafts - close enough that Sanderson didn't want to change them much, but far enough away from "right" that they make my inner ear buzz, like, well, reading a rough draft that you want to correct.

Still a far better result overall than we had any right to expect. I don't know of any other series that's ever been handed off even half as successfully.

Yeah this is my opinion. In fact if I'm not mistaken the maligned Mat section was one of those 50-50 mixes. Jordan apparently wrote out the scene using his own voice but then kept honing it over multiple drafts to get character voices, reactions, and details right, so in cases where it was only halfway done you'd get Jordan-as-Mat instead of Mat.

jng2058 posted:

My biggest complaint about them isn't the change in writing styles and it isn't even the portrayal of Mat. It's Androl stealing all of Logain's thunder. Logain should have been the loyal Ashaman we follow in the last few books, and he's the one who should have done the hero moves that Androl gets. ESPECIALLY with Min's "glory" viewing! :colbert:

Sandersons biggest strength is also his biggest weakness: he likes rigid magic systems and then exploiting them with clever uses of underrated abilities. It's a better version of an author self-insert.

I agree Logain would've been a better source for all those clever tricks, maybe even have it as a consequence of his leadership where all the little individual ashaman tricks get collected and exploited

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

It's a valid complaint. I always preferred to think that Androl was there to show the Black Tower was bigger than any one man and act as a mirror (literally) to Pevara - just someone trying to do what was right to the best of their ability.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

I disagree. Logain as a character is definitely underserved and should have had more screentime throughout the story but as a character he's far too morally grey for Androl's story which is far more a classic hero tale. From the little we see even once he joins the Black Tower his relationship with Rand is strained and he's more on the side of the Light cause Taim is a dick than anything else

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO, Androl would have been much better if he'd just been a weaker Ashaman without the stupid portal bullshit. His Amazing Portal Boy schtick is what really makes him feel out of place to me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I never felt it was that out of place since we've seen other channelers with Talents, why not a gateway Talent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I really enjoyed Androl's whole thing, I was really surprised to find how divisive his chapters were after I finished the series. I do agree that Logain should have had more PoV's, but that's true of the entire series. I'd gladly have traded any of the endless White Tower/Sea Folk/Kin/Elaine chapters for more Logain.